Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I have an illicit toaster oven too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I have an illicit toaster oven too.

I came in with an electric kettle and was immediately instructed by my supervisor only to use it in the kitchen where we have better fuses. This just means making coffee in the morning is 15 minutes of zoning out rather than half working, so I'm cool.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Your honor Id like to pass on this appliance conversation

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Your honor Id like to pass on this appliance conversation

Overruled.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Some marketing douche at my old firm used to bring in a loving French press and was really braggy about it.

At in-house job, the coffee is knockoff Keurig and it’s trash. I sometimes bring in cold brew.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Some marketing douche at my old firm used to bring in a loving French press and was really braggy about it.

At in-house job, the coffee is knockoff Keurig and it’s trash. I sometimes bring in cold brew.

I have my own grinder and use a clever coffee thing. I don't think I'm THAT douchey about it.

I bike to work, have a huge beard, and like fancy coffee, beer, and cured meats. I'm basically a walking stereotype.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The law office that the volunteer voter protection is working from has a kegerator except it's cold brew coffee next to the kurig and espresso kurig. I think my new place has a drip pot.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I feel like the most common violation of appliance policies is space warmers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I feel like the most common violation of appliance policies is space warmers.

At a doc review place last winter one of those started a full on fire

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I drink energy drinks and dip skoal because I don't know anyone who sells adderall

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've dropped coffee for tea. I have a lose leaf operation at work. Trying to ween myself down a bit since I have no real need for it until new baby is born.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I drink energy drinks and dip skoal because I don't know anyone who sells adderall

Man, taking drugs must be great. In socialized medicine nobody gives you any loving drugs unless you get a prescription, which the doctor never gives you. Off the counter meds is limited to paracetamol (Tylenol, is that what you call it?) basically. Alternative medicine is huge over here though, so what's the closest natural remedy to amphetamine?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've dropped coffee for tea. I have a lose leaf operation at work. Trying to ween myself down a bit since I have no real need for it until new baby is born.

Never mind, coffee of course. I should go grab some.

nm posted:

I have my own grinder and use a clever coffee thing. I don't think I'm THAT douchey about it.

I bike to work, have a huge beard, and like fancy coffee, beer, and cured meats. I'm basically a walking stereotype.

I hear ya. Fresh ground coffee with some quality is so good once you're on it you basically can't go back. Found an ethiopian blend the other day that was fantastic. I got hooked at uni where there's a proper coffee bar where they serve a new kind of fresh-ground from all over the world each day as a daily special.

Also everyone likes bikes, coffee, beer and cured meats over here and are atrociously hipster about it. That's basically the norwegian summer identity. Maybe you're actually norwegian?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm pretty excited about the new conservative arguments that undocumented immigrants are actually socvits and not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

They are going to make what they hate into what they all want to become

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Don’t take other people’s lunches, you jerks.

It’s true, lawyers really are soulless monsters.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

You probably are.

Our office staff brews a pot of coffee every day and its truck stop garbage.

Also, literally every paralegal has their own space heater

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Also everyone likes bikes, coffee, beer and cured meats over here and are atrociously hipster about it. That's basically the norwegian summer identity. Maybe you're actually norwegian?

I just found out I was 3/4 Norwegian

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

I just found out I was 3/4 Norwegian

Congrats! Your lusekofte is in the mail.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Well, I did spend almost a decade in Minnesota.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Congrats! Your lusekofte is in the mail.

I hope thats a meat - its the 1/4 beer part that I'm not Norwegian.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

I hope thats a meat - its the 1/4 beer part that I'm not Norwegian.

It's rotten fish.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's rotten fish.

Uh, I googled it and its a baller-rear end sweater

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Cured meats is a hobby I’d like to get in to. Way better than homebrew.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

evilweasel posted:

sanderson is by far the best fantasy author to get into because he's the sort of nutjob who relaxes from writing book x by instead spending some time writing book y. i don't think he does anything but write.

jordan was bad because he kept writing and stretching out the end until he died but at least he kept writing. grrm is gonna die before he ever finishes another book cause he clearly has just gotten burned out on the entire idea of writing books.

Going back to Sanderson, there’s a mini podcast by Writing Excuses this week about NaNoWriMo where he says that his draft of his new book was 550,000 words that he wrote over 11 months, 50,000 words per month. Lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

to be fair, "it's rotten fish" is usually a solid guess for anything Scandanavian

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

to be fair, "it's rotten fish" is usually a solid guess for anything Scandanavian

Ah, I checked the wkipedia page and it is in fact woven from rotten fish Ok

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, that over a shirt is basically office wear.

blarzgh posted:

Ah, I checked the wkipedia page and it is in fact woven from rotten fish Ok

Sorry that's a typo, it should say woven by rotten fish working in under putrid conditions.

nm posted:

Well, I did spend almost a decade in Minnesota.

Sounds like a nice place.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

You probably are.

Our office staff brews a pot of coffee every day and its truck stop garbage.

Also, literally every paralegal has their own space heater

I wonder why, Ebenezer?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I have an interview with the ministry of justice next wednesday
I think I might actually become Putin's right hand man

well
assuming I pass a loyalty check
which I won't

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Alexeythegreat posted:

well
which I won't

This isn't one of those "interviews" where you enter a government building and have like a 50/50 chance of leaving, is it?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

well
which I won't

Body of young, overweight lawyer found on banks of Moskva River. Coroner reports cause of death to be probable suicide. "No one liked him much anyway," report neighbors of victim.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

This isn't one of those "interviews" where you enter a government building and have like a 50/50 chance of leaving, is it?

His account will come back posting either way.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

I wonder why, Ebenezer?

Well we've already had to buy them padded shackles for their leg irons because of all their complaints, and that money has to come out of the budget somewhere

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

Well we've already had to buy them padded shackles for their leg irons because of all their complaints, and that money has to come out of the budget somewhere

Closing the workhouses was a mistake.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I’m in course to become a certified mediator and this seems vastly better than actually practicing law. Hope rises again.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

I’m in course to become a certified mediator and this seems vastly better than actually practicing law. Hope rises again.

My dad does this in retirement when he is bored. He finds it fun, but I think if he had to do it more often, it would annoy him.
People and most of their lawyers are maddening.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'm fitter than all of you except Yuns, but otherwise touche

Toona the Cat posted:

Are you really a mediator until someone hires you to mediate a dispute, though?
I think I recall someone offering you to "choose a career as an arbitrator". You can pass courses, but that isn't making you an arbitrator (fun fact: I'm a certified arbitrator and I'm legally not old enough to arbitrate Russia-seated disputes, so I'm an English-"certified" arbitrator whose hypothetical awards would just instantly get set aside no matter what). This is the same in that regard, at least as far as I'm aware

E: okay I should have just went balls out with the roast like I initially planned

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 1, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
When I'm picking someone to mediate one of my cases, my first choice is usually a retired judge or a superstar of the local bar. My second choice, though, is almost always an emotionally stunted law student who hates the law and has zero litigation experience, a drinking problem, and severe impulse control issues

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Yea I wouldn’t ever hire a mediator that didn’t have at least a decade of practice or being judge, and I think even if I wanted to either the other side or my clients wouldn’t agree

quote:

zero litigation experience, a drinking problem, and impulse control issues
JP court is kinda fun tho

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

that's nice, i'm in a course to become a certified nfl quarterback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

that's nice, i'm in a course to become a certified nfl quarterback

I know you think it's a good idea to play for the bills but it really isn't worth it no matter how much they pay you