Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You gotta read the article you just hastily googled. It doesn't say that at all.

I know you're committed to the vision you've set up, but why lie to yourself?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what an awful lot of characters to type out "nuh-uh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If y'all are out of substantive things to say on the subject, maybe you should stop.

You do not, in fact, have to :justpost:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nvm

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Okay, let's play a game.

You don't post in this thread until you find a video or article of Joe Biden claiming that conducting an investigation would be the wrong movie, and is still the wrong move in 2018, because it would have been un-decorous to Clarence Thomas.

Under this scenario, how long do you think it would be before you posted again?

There are many real things to criticize. What is the point of making fake things to criticize and directing your energy there?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Bit more cynical and less horrific at the same time. Basically the politics of scuttling a black man's nomination after the retirement of Thurgood Marshall based on how sexual harassment allegations were viewed in the late 1980s and early 1990s made it more expedient to not investigate Anita Hill's allegations as much as they should have been.

You left out the part where Biden was serving as chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee at the time, thus holding control over witnesses & procedures. Also the part where Anita Hill to this day hasn't received an apology from Biden and is still angry with him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You guys started talking about Anita Hill, which is also valid, but I was actually referring to a young Biden opposing busing. The sum of efforts like his are what lead to our current status quo where de facto segregation remains the norm.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah, the dem primaries are hilariously frontloaded

california scheduled theirs for super tuesday, alongside texas, north carolina, virginia, massachusetts, tennessee, alabama, oklahoma, and vermont
Good lord, that evening is going to be a bloodbath :stonk:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey everyone let's just all agree that biden sucks rear end and deserves no place in the present day democratic party

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Everyone who is willing to identify themselves as a Democrat sucks rear end and deserves no place in a hypothetical not-awful Democratic Party

Truly a philosophical paradox for the ages

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paracaidas posted:

Policy being distinct from "identity issues" is :discourse:, even if that wasn't the intent.
You're absolutely right. I was thinking 'macro economic policy/deregulate the banks same as the reps' but just saying "policy" gives an entirely different meaning to my post. "Identity issues" was an awful way to put it as well.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hellblazer187 posted:

lol who in this thread thinks Biden is a savior?

Let me revise that savior was a bit too much, electable is more like it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There's dozens of Democrats that are "electable" in 2020, and most of them are better than Joe Biden on the issues.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
reminder shitbirds the penalty in this thread for bad posts is a one week probe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lightning Knight posted:

There's dozens of Democrats that are "electable" in 2020,

Thats the problem, the sooner the dozen become one or two the better. Trumps got a huge head start on campaigning versus the dems that are competing for facetime. . Whats scary is the longer the inter dem battle lasts the better the incumbent advantage becomes a magnitude more important. The dems being over voiced is a huge problem that i fear will threaten our democracy, not because the voices arent valid, but because the message is so vast its not as great as the TRADE BAD GREAT DEALS message

We need a dem that campaigns on UBI SPHC and massive infrastructure spending,

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

QuoProQuid posted:

Given 2016, my sense is that most everyone will stay in the race until the first debate and then you'll see mass campaign die-off.

Still not sure how the party is going to deal with that for a potentially 20+ candidate field, though. Politico suggested earlier this year that party leadership wants to avoid the massive two-tiered debates that the Republicans did in 2016. The two mulled over alternatives seem to be smaller, lot-drawn debates or a bunch of short one-on-one debates, either of which could have a pretty interesting effect.

Love the idea of round robin one on one debates, hell with enough candidates you could have one every weekend for 2 years but... it won't work. No sane front runner (or their campaign manager) is going to allow themselves to debate some n-th tier also-ran. If you're Hillary Clinton do you really want to debate Lincoln Chaffee about the metric system while he's a rounding error in political polls? That brings up the second problem way back in the beforetime of 2016, the RNC desperately tried to maintain control of the debates and it mattered not because following Trump's lead the major candidates all said they didn't really care what the RNC said and unless the DNC is willing to back up their plan with a direct loss of delegates for skipping or holding unauthorized debates the candidates will seek to maintain control of their own appearances.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Have some wonky skewering of Kamala's LIFT proposal

https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1058030074736336897

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 1, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Can Twitter just ban reply chains where someone writes a novel and replies to each previous tweet over 32 tweets?

If you plan on writing 5-10 pages, then just link to a medium or blog post people.

the tl;dr of the Tweet chain is Harris' proposal is similar to some of the problems Bernie ran into.

It is aspirational and a messaging proposal. To actually implement it at the levels she outlines in the plan would cost a lot more money than reversing the Trump tax cuts and her fee on big banks would bring in.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 1, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Oh no how will she pay for it?! :ohdear:

*kicks F-35 off the deck of an aircraft carrier*.

Oops!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
So Harris's big policy proposal is basic income but no poors allowed, that might actually be dumber then Booker Bucks and Booker's plan is guaranteed to never pay out a single cent.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why would you give your future prison slave labor force free money, defeats the whole point of budget-saving slavery.

Did you even think your comment through, idiot?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's kinda crazy how bad all these workshopped "wonk primary" proposals are

Don't loving wonk at us

Say "Medicare for all" or "free college" or "job guarantee" or "$15 minimum wage." Just say it and keep it short.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they're completely interchangeable because the candidates proposing them are as well. they're all trying to appeal to the same tiny bloc of the primary electorate

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't loving wonk at us

Say "Medicare for all" or "free college" or "job guarantee" or "$15 minimum wage." Just say it and keep it short.

Every potential candidate has already said Medicare for All and $15 minimum wage.

Most of these proposals are something that tackles areas not covered under those proposals and a way to "distinguish" themselves.

One fact about the 2020 primary, that is mostly good, is that there is not a huge difference between the potential candidates. Not so long ago, in 2004, you had pro-life Democrats, pro-choice Democrats, pro-Iraq War Democrats, Anti-Iraq War Democrats, pro-gun Democrats, and very anti-gun Democrats all leading in the same primary.

Joe Biden is way closer to Elizabeth Warren than Joe Lieberman or Bob Graham was to Howard Dean.

That means that you have a Narcissism of Small Differences scenario that encourages people to find ways to break out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they're completely interchangeable because the candidates proposing them are as well. they're all trying to appeal to the same tiny bloc of the primary electorate

They're a bunch of poli-sci "wonks" trying to wonk up a frankenwonk in a wonkery instead of just asking actual people what they actually want then promising to give it to them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Every potential candidate has already said Medicare for All and $15 minimum wage.

I don't believe Joe Biden has yet stated support for either of those. Not at a national level, anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't believe Joe Biden has yet stated support for either of those.

Biden came out for the $15 minimum wage in 2015.

quote:

Vice President Joe Biden joined New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo at a media event in New York City on Thursday. They were there to celebrate the state’s newly minted $15 hourly minimum wage for fast-food restaurants, which will phase in over the next few years. Mr. Biden, who is weighing a run for the White House, seems to be courting organized labor just in case. Taking the stage, he praised the minimum wage as “smart” and “reasonable.” Mr. Biden praised the new law, but said that it was just a start and the rest of the country should follow New York's lead.

And free college:

quote:

Biden proposed a number of solutions that have been floated by the Democratic party's most progressive members, like offering free college to everyone and banning tactics used by employers to keep workers from being paid higher wages.

Medicare for All is the only thing he hasn't been 100% clear on.

He says that the government needs to provide everyone with healthcare and that Medicare/Medicaid should both be expanded. He hasn't put out a platform or endorsed any specific bill, though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Don't loving wonk at us

It serves three purposes. First, they think it makes them sound more considered and intelligent on the subject. Second, the workshopping keeps laynards employed, and third, it signal to the donor class that nothing serious is intended and they need not worry that any actual change will result.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Pretty sure "Medicare for all" under Booker, Harris, Biden, etc. will evolve at least as much as Obama 08's primary pitch for a universal healthcare system that was defintely not going to rely on a mandate like Clinton's.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

One fact about the 2020 primary, that is mostly good, is that there is not a huge difference between the potential candidates

Bull loving poo poo

Why are people letting this troll just spout dumb poo poo like this unchallenged? Why do people give dedicated D&D trolls like this the benefit of the doubt? Look at his loving rap sheet!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DynamicSloth posted:

Love the idea of round robin one on one debates, hell with enough candidates you could have one every weekend for 2 years but... it won't work. No sane front runner (or their campaign manager) is going to allow themselves to debate some n-th tier also-ran. If you're Hillary Clinton do you really want to debate Lincoln Chaffee about the metric system while he's a rounding error in political polls? That brings up the second problem way back in the beforetime of 2016, the RNC desperately tried to maintain control of the debates and it mattered not because following Trump's lead the major candidates all said they didn't really care what the RNC said and unless the DNC is willing to back up their plan with a direct loss of delegates for skipping or holding unauthorized debates the candidates will seek to maintain control of their own appearances.

I don’t know about one-on-one round robins (and I agree that most front runners would dismiss the idea) but the DNC might have more control, if only out of a collective desire to avoid the kind of shitshow that the Republicans went through in 2016.

Don't loving wonk at us

If you do this then the Very Serious People of Washington get to write hand-wringing analyses about the deficit and appear on television bemoaning how you aren’t a “serious candidate.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DynamicSloth posted:

Pretty sure "Medicare for all" under Booker, Harris, Biden, etc. will evolve at least as much as Obama 08's primary pitch for a universal healthcare system that was defintely not going to rely on a mandate like Clinton's.

If you believe that, then that's fine. I think a Medicare for All plan being implemented with a minor detail change like the mandate would be pretty good. Even on a completely superficial and maximum cynical detachment level, the fact that every candidate feels compelled to endorse these policies - even though they are secretly working against them at every turn - shows a big shift from where we were in 2004 and 2008.

But people are simultaneously claiming that:

- Candidates are not endorsing Medicare for All and only peddling wonky policies in order to placate various unnamed benefactors.

and

- Candidates are endorsing Medicare for All, but they don't mean it.

It can't be both.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

QuoProQuid posted:

If you do this then the Very Serious People of Washington get to write hand-wringing analyses about the deficit and appear on television bemoaning how you aren’t a “serious candidate.”

The funny thing is it's actually the opposite

If you *don't* have a wonked-up policy paper you can just say "we never ask about costs when it comes to the military or tax breaks for the one percent" and shut the conversation down

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WampaLord posted:

Bull loving poo poo

Why are people letting this troll just spout dumb poo poo like this unchallenged? Why do people give dedicated D&D trolls like this the benefit of the doubt? Look at his loving rap sheet!

In what ways is the potential 2020 field far more ideologically diverse than the 2004 field?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Bull loving poo poo

LT2012 is a troll about 1/4 of the time. This is not one of those times. Do you really think the difference between Biden and Sanders is wider than the difference between Lieberman and Dean?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Liz Warren's recent wonk proposals have been pretty good, though. The federal corporate charter where worker's reps must make up 40% of the board of directors is actually a very good idea that other countries do, and not something that gets talked about over here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hellblazer187 posted:

LT2012 is a troll about 1/4 of the time. This is not one of those times. Do you really think the difference between Biden and Sanders is wider than the difference between Lieberman and Dean?

Or if we are using the 2004 example, Lieberman and Dennis Kucinich.

Democratic Primary candidates were still debating whether the Iraq War was good in 2004.

In 2020, they are debating how fast we should phase-in a $15 minimum wage, how exactly the government should provide healthcare to everyone, and whether we should make college free or just eliminate tuition.

The ideological gap in the Democratic Party is smaller than it has ever been in 2020 and that is mostly a good thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 1, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Bull loving poo poo

Because there's no point arguing with a Holocaust denier who either doesn't understand middle-school arithmetic or is willing to pretend he can't calculate percentages for 12 pages in order to annoy people?

The best thing to do is if he says something demonstrably wrong (like the claim above that Booker's baby account wasn't means-tested) is to post the proof he's wrong and let him run away or look absurd by doubling down. If he says something arguably wrong but ultimately a matter of opinion like "eh all the candidates are pretty similar" you're just going to waste a bunch of time as he moves the goalposts all over.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Probably not, but focusing on it is fishmeching* and goal-post moving because the claim was that there is no meaningful difference between any of the 2020 candidates, not that they are less ideologically diverse than some other candidates were at some other time.

*Making an untenable argument, then shifting to some tiny factual point that doesn't prove the main argument, and strawmanning anyone disagreeing with the main argument as disagreeing with some limited mostly irrelevant fact. "There aren't huge differences between the 2020 candidates" is a much stronger claim than "they are less dissimilar than Lieberman and Dean", notice you're being tricked into talking about the latter when the conversation was about the former

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

That was not the claim, the claim was that there was "not a huge difference between the potential candidates"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

He said not a huge difference, he didn't say no meaningful difference. Huge is a vague term, but overall he's right that the party has moved left and moved closer together. The most conservative candidate for 2020 is farther left than any other candidate in the last 40 years besides Sanders in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I suppose if you want to fight over what qualifies as a "huge" difference, knock yourselves out but it seems like you're missing the overall point.