Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Sage Grimm posted:

Sort of. They take up a single tile to build but for the purposes of heat exchange they are 3x3 in size. Depending on the thermal conductivity of the material used, it can either be used to equalize heat or to buffer it (weathering sudden spikes of temperature a la hot geysers).

They also act as heat (and cold) transfers. If you have an area that is simply to hot to run piping through directly (looking at you 2500 degree geyser), you can use temp shift plates to move that heat somewhere more manageable to be destroyed, such as super chilled oil combined with an AETN. My current map seed has a gold volcano directly next to an AETN as an example, so I use a combination of temp shift plates to move heat from the volcano into a pool of oil, then pump that oil through an AETN via radiant pipes, to destroy the heat.

Also, you used to be able to pass heat between insulated walls by putting a temp shift plate directly on each side of the wall. I assume that's still possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Qubee posted:

so they're most efficiently used if I place a row / column every other tile to get a full 3x3 spread? or do they work even better if I place them right beside each other?

It's a little more wonky. Heat calculation on, say, a normal wall tile calculates it's heat based on the size it takes up (1 tile) and then stuff touching it. A temp shift plate calculates heat as if it were a 3x3 object, and stuff touching it. This creates a zone of overlap around each tile where, when strung together in a continuous line, and assuming you use heat conductive materials, they can absorb heat from many tile around them in the atmosphere or water or whatever, and they also calculate heat off of each other with that overlap. With conductive materials they become a heat-based super highway that balances out heat from one end to the other really, really fast compared to air or something.

With non-conductive materials they act mostly off of their mass. Each tile takes like 400kg of material I think? Going off memory. Anyway it's a lot, so with low conductive material they become gigantic heat sinks, calculating off that 3x3 area, that balance out temperature fast by holding a ton of heat energy then releasing it as that balance changes.

All of this on a wall tile that can have stuff built in front of it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
800kg but even then it’s generally worth it on high value stuff like SPOMs or Geysers. Granite works decently well in a pinch too if you don’t have like gold amalgam to spare early.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

bird food bathtub posted:

It's a little more wonky. Heat calculation on, say, a normal wall tile calculates it's heat based on the size it takes up (1 tile) and then stuff touching it. A temp shift plate calculates heat as if it were a 3x3 object, and stuff touching it. This creates a zone of overlap around each tile where, when strung together in a continuous line, and assuming you use heat conductive materials, they can absorb heat from many tile around them in the atmosphere or water or whatever, and they also calculate heat off of each other with that overlap. With conductive materials they become a heat-based super highway that balances out heat from one end to the other really, really fast compared to air or something.

With non-conductive materials they act mostly off of their mass. Each tile takes like 400kg of material I think? Going off memory. Anyway it's a lot, so with low conductive material they become gigantic heat sinks, calculating off that 3x3 area, that balance out temperature fast by holding a ton of heat energy then releasing it as that balance changes.

All of this on a wall tile that can have stuff built in front of it.

So would a radiant pipe full of coolant running over a row of temp shift plates be super efficient?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

So would a radiant pipe full of coolant running over a row of temp shift plates be super efficient?

It would transfer heat quickly, provided you chose a decent material for the temp shift plate and were not in a vacuum.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Hi all,

I recently got this game as I like these kind of base building and survival games. Unfortunately I have not really been able to get a strong handle on all these different aspects and while there are tips in game there does not seem to be a strong tutorial. I have been restarting different bases just to try and get a basic early game mechanic figured out. Just wondering if there were some good "things to know / basic early game flow" tips? I think I have a small 4 dupe base going but not quite sure if I have enough food or how to tell if I have enough food. I am now making enough 02 for them all but also not sure where to go next. I just unlocked the first tier of researches and am just now figuring out piping air different places. Though it some of my pipes say overpressure and I am not sure how to deal with that. Any basic tips would be awesome !

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 1, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i seem to have run into a hilarious bug, and now i have way more hydrogen than i'll ever need

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Hi all,

I recently got this game as I like these kind of base building and survival games. Unfortunately I have not really been able to get a strong handle on all these different aspects and while there are tips in game there does not seem to be a strong tutorial. I have been restarting different bases just to try and get a basic early game mechanic figured out. Just wondering if there were some good "things to know / basic early game flow" tips? I think I have a small 4 dupe base going but not quite sure if I have enough food or how to tell if I have enough food. I am now making enough 02 for them all but also not sure where to go next. I just unlocked the first tier of researches and am just now figuring out piping air different places. Though it some of my pipes say overpressure and I am not sure how to deal with that. Any basic tips would be awesome !

For food, dupes need 1000 minimum kcal/cycle. For the starting plant, mealworm, you get 600 kcals per meal, and they need 3 cycles to grow, so you need ~5 plants per dude to sustain. The different foods provide more kcal and morale, but often have other, sometimes steep requirements on resources. The musher can turn the starting stuff into slightly better meals, but its expensive on water and duplicant time for such modest increases, I avoid it. I generally go from mealwood to mushrooms once I have a clean, steady supply of slime. Mushrooms are 2400 kcal per cycle and take 7.5 days to grow, but can be cooked for 400 more kcal at only a cost of a cook + 60w each. 3 mushroom plants per dupe that way.

EDIT: Another small tip is putting your farms where your CO2 naturally pools. Mealwood and mushrooms both grow in it, and its a sterile atmosphere so stuff that is harvested but not picked up still doesnt decay.

I'll let other people cover stuff like gas management, I am very bad at keeping thing like that concise.

My main advice is take it slow, learn how things work, look at guides and such on stuff you're confused about, and just learn from your mistakes. It took me a lot of restarts to really get comfortable with a lot of the mechanics but you'll constantly learn new poo poo.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 2, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

enraged_camel posted:

i seem to have run into a hilarious bug, and now i have way more hydrogen than i'll ever need

Also more cooling than you will ever need, right? Is that how it works?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Wheezeworts pull in a certain amount of air around them and cool it, and the more you can get in the better they do, especially with hydrogen, but I think it has a limit (that he certainly hit). if he pops the wall to that though I'd be curious how fast the hydrogen vents out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

5kg per second per wheezewort

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

enraged_camel posted:

5kg per second per wheezewort

you're gonna see some serious polluted dirt

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mazz posted:

Wheezeworts pull in a certain amount of air around them and cool it, and the more you can get in the better they do, especially with hydrogen, but I think it has a limit (that he certainly hit). if he pops the wall to that though I'd be curious how fast the hydrogen vents out.

Related to this, moving exosuit check points is an exercise in frustration. Deconstruct-FWOOSH OH MY GOD OVERPRESSURE EVERYWHERE. Reconstruct, see ya in a few days when they all fill up again.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bird food bathtub posted:

Related to this, moving exosuit check points is an exercise in frustration. Deconstruct-FWOOSH OH MY GOD OVERPRESSURE EVERYWHERE. Reconstruct, see ya in a few days when they all fill up again.

Could enclose the area in a liquid airlock, put a couple pumps and a pipe leading to the new checkpoint area. Would be nice if you could issue a move building command, though. Like in Rimworld.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Or an empty storage and it dumps it in cannisters.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

a natural gas generator spews polluted water everywhere and doesn't seem to have a plumbing outlet. it gets damaged super fast and I have a feeling it's because it's sitting in a puddle of water. should I build it over tiles that let water flow through and have the polluted water collect in a reservoir below it?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

a natural gas generator spews polluted water everywhere and doesn't seem to have a plumbing outlet. it gets damaged super fast and I have a feeling it's because it's sitting in a puddle of water. should I build it over tiles that let water flow through and have the polluted water collect in a reservoir below it?

If it's getting damaged you're probably not pumping pure gas into it. Heat also wrecks them. But yeah it just kind of spews it on the floor so it's a good idea to build it over mesh tiles.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ah drat, it's the gas damaging it. I figured the room was chock full of hydrogen, but I guess the dupes expelled some CO2 in the process of building it and that's getting sucked in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah, it drips out of the little nozzle looking thing underneath. Build all your nat gas gens on top of each other in a vertical stack, put some grating tiles under them and it will all fall in a straight line down to one water pump in a little U shaped basin under them. For coming from free natural gas geyser it's pretty neat to have an extra source of water, even if it starts polluted.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Qubee posted:

ah drat, it's the gas damaging it. I figured the room was chock full of hydrogen, but I guess the dupes expelled some CO2 in the process of building it and that's getting sucked in.

The natural gas generator doesn't run on hydrogen!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While a gas and technically natural I guess, hydrogen is not, in fact, the fuel for natural gas generators. You would want a hydrogen generator for hydrogen gas. Natural gas comes usually from natural gas geysers, or oil heated into petroleum then further heated until it boils.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

It only burns natural gas specifically. It won't do hydrogen; you need a hydrogen generator for that and those don't barf water.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Build it above two mesh tiles on the right side with a 2x2 area beneath it and have a liquid pump that moves the polluted water elsewhere, that's all you have to do.

And use natural gas, not hydrogen.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, breeding smooth hatches is a lot of work, but totally worth it. It's super nice to have your refined metal supply increase every cycle and generate no heat from it.

Ranching is labor intensive, but a lot less so than refining the same amount of metal using the metal refinery.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I use the heat from refining metals to make steam to power rocketships.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That's what magma is for.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, pro tip: use diamond to build your tempshift plates, not refined metal. It's abundant, and is 33% more effective when it comes to conducting heat.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Qubee posted:

It's also worth mentioning heat can build up and damage a generator (and batteries). Make sure you make these things out of gold, it provides overheating protection!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Has anyone managed to build an automated hatch butchery?

None of the various designs I've found on the Internet work anymore.

At first I hoped it would be a simple matter of building a critter drop off underwater, but the things don't work when flooded as of a few patches ago, it seems.

I also played around with an upper-lower chamber setup where the lower chamber is filled with liquid and has mechanical doors that are triggered by a weight plate, but that seems to result in deletion of liquid with every use.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you lot are a bunch of helpful people, kinda mindblowing when I post a simple question that has probably been asked a lot, and I come back an hour later to a swarm of incredible answers, cheers.

and I brain farted, I meant to say natural gas, not hydrogen. I was rushing to uni but wanted to post the question asap to have answers for when I got home.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

enraged_camel posted:

That's what magma is for.

One of the copper volcanoes in my map generates heat at 2500 degrees. A full 1000 hotter than magma.

It's also sitting next to my bristle berry farm :sun::suicide:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

oh, on the topic of hatcheries, how much space do critters need? I've got 8 of those critters that poop coal out, and they're all unhappy with how cramped it is. is there a general formula for calculating space requirements for critters?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I tend to just make my ranches max size. Pro tip about that max size, it doesn't need to be a rectangle or anything. As long as the room is X tiles total you can have it be a long 1 wide column with every hatch piled into one tile on top of each other and it counts the same.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Qubee posted:

oh, on the topic of hatcheries, how much space do critters need? I've got 8 of those critters that poop coal out, and they're all unhappy with how cramped it is. is there a general formula for calculating space requirements for critters?

Hatches need 12 tiles each, which means you can fit 8 per 96 tiles stable. Dimensions of said 96 tiles do not matter at all, Including confining all the hatches to one little area, and having the majority of the room inaccessible to them.

I’m not sure on this but it doesn’t seem like the room dimensions actually matter at all (if too big), at least not after working once. I put all my hatches in one stable area to get them confined to one space. I later deleted the walls but left the grooming station+dropoff, and all of them seemed to stay tamed and happy in a room that was way too large. My rancher was also continuing to groom them. I had at one point like 60 hatches in that area, but it was impossible to check if they were all tame or not.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 2, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

That doesn't matter nearly as much as you think. That just makes them not reproduce as quickly anymore. That's handy so their numbers don't go completely bonkers. They still poo poo out coal at the same rate.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That doesn't matter nearly as much as you think. That just makes them not reproduce as quickly anymore. That's handy so their numbers don't go completely bonkers. They still poo poo out coal at the same rate.

No, overcrowded reduces metabolism by 80% too.

EDIT; I think they only produce coal at 20% of what they eat per 100kg vs 1:1 production. Also looking at the wiki feeding them things like mealwood is actually bad, they don’t make coal until they hit 100kg of food to poop out 100kg of coal. 12 hatches not confined and eating steadily can fully support 3 goal generators based on the wiki numbers. Gonna have to test that. Also happy sage hatches produce a shitload of eggs apparently.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 2, 2018

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

enraged_camel posted:

Has anyone managed to build an automated hatch butchery?

None of the various designs I've found on the Internet work anymore.

At first I hoped it would be a simple matter of building a critter drop off underwater, but the things don't work when flooded as of a few patches ago, it seems.

I also played around with an upper-lower chamber setup where the lower chamber is filled with liquid and has mechanical doors that are triggered by a weight plate, but that seems to result in deletion of liquid with every use.

No screenshot but auto doors work still just have 3 high x 2 wide. And leave a 1 tile wide gap in the width and it will flood hatches without deletion.

Also I don't bother with pressure plates it's easy enough to just put a clock sensor on and run it once per day.

I had 3 stables of 3 hatches each (3 normal 3 stone 3 smooth) and if you have a door floor that drops eggs once a day they make so many eggs.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 2, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

User0015 posted:

One of the copper volcanoes in my map generates heat at 2500 degrees. A full 1000 hotter than magma.

It's also sitting next to my bristle berry farm :sun::suicide:

The temperature of the metal volcanoes is higher, but there is a lot less total heat. The metals have a lower specific heat capacity and metal volcanoes don't spew nearly as much material.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is there an easy and fast way to see how big a room I'm digging out is? or do I just need to wait until it's dug out, then room overlay to see how many tiles it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hatch automation has always been a bit of a failure for me. I have not figured out good ways to get to the end state of "I want 8 adult hatches in this area. When they die replace one, if not stop over populating you frustrating jackasses"