Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Have a good time offline. Go outside and look at a tree, I hear those are offline.

Aye Josef, go and splash through some autumn leaves, and marvel at the colours.

edit: 8 is the optimum number of chicken thighs to be consumed in a single sitting

TheHoodedClaw fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The DPRK posted:

Can we briefly dip in to shavechat? My dermatologist recommends I try a dry electric shaver because wet shaving with a blade is irritating my skin too much. I'm awash in a sea of possibilities and I have no idea what the difference is between a £300 Remington and a £30 Remington.

e: 6 is how old I look after a shave

Get some Magic Shaving Powder and melt the hair right off your face :getin:
I found it much less irritating than any sort of shaving.

quote:

So I am probably going to not be using SA for a little bit. I feel like I spend too much time online and it is locking in a lot of behaviours I don't like about myself.

Will still pop by every week or so but I hope you all have a good one and I hope to see you soon!

Lots of love
Josef.

Do some fun not internet things Josef :unsmith:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

TheHoodedClaw posted:

remove the upper limit on NI contributions?

Reinstate NI for pensioners.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

Get some Magic Shaving Powder and melt the hair right off your face :getin:
I found it much less irritating than any sort of shaving.

That's what George Osborne says to all his mates too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

So I am probably going to not be using SA for a little bit. I feel like I spend too much time online and it is locking in a lot of behaviours I don't like about myself.

Will still pop by every week or so but I hope you all have a good one and I hope to see you soon!

Lots of love
Josef.

Good call, bud. I should probably lay off my crippling internet politics addiction for awhile myself.

But lawl, not when the US midterms are coming up

Anyway, love ya too. Stay safe out there and have a good time in the IRL world

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love
Josef.

Good plan, mate. Have a nice time and bring us news from the Outside occasionally. I'll probably do the same for a bit after the US midterms

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love
Josef.

Never hurts to spend less time online, enjoy the autumn sights.

Bit late to vegan/vegetarian/omnivore chat, but I have made a conscious effort to seriously reduce the amount of meat I and my partner consume, and have been moderately successful. Stuff like beef and pork has been cut back to the bone (no pun intended) and the only ones eaten with regularity are chicken and on weekends, bacon. I've also taken to the habit of stuffing anything compatible taste wise with lentils and/or chickpeas. Remarkably filling and good for you. We got 2kg of beef mince in the discount section of ASDA one time, divided and wrapped it into 8 equal portions and froze it. Nearly two months later we still have 6 portions left.

Unfortunately I love doner kebabs just a bit too much to ever fully make the switch, sorry animals of the world. Why are those unhealthy greasy monstrosities so goddamn delicious?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Unfortunately I love doner kebabs just a bit too much to ever fully make the switch, sorry animals of the world. Why are those unhealthy greasy monstrosities so goddamn delicious?

They're made from landlord meat, it's true

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

mehall posted:

I don't get why we have a minimum wage, or a "living wage" for over 25's according to the government, that is the minimum someone on full time wage needs to live, and then any of that is taxed.
The current "living wage" works out at 35 hours a week as a touch over £14,250, and as far as I'm concerned that should be the personal allowance, moving in line with any living wage increases.

Then get rid of the difference between over 16, over 18, and over 25 wages, a job is a job (thankfully most employers I had beyond my first job were fair to everyone. I guess it was less admin having a single amount to multiply by)

Then have decent tax bandings.
15 on anything above personal allowance to 20k, 20% up to 30k, then re-instate the 50p tax band on anything above 50k and have a nice and lovely 70p tax band on anything above 100k.

Work out what that brings in to the coffers, and if you need any more (other than corporate taxes etc) then add in a tax exclusively on bonuses where the bonus itself is in excess of the personal allowance.

Of course, I'd have a bunch of new policies like re-nationalising anything where a natural monopoly is present, most anything that presents a public good, and nationalising Wetherspoons and re-branding them as British Restaurants

Considering that people on min wage need to use all the same public infrastructure as everybody else isn't an untaxed minimum wage a kind of stealth government subsidy for shitbag corporations who don't pay their workers enough to live + pay tax?
Course, it'd be much more sensible to cut out the middleman and have bourgie fucks pay all their loving taxes to begin with, but lol if the government will ever try that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

communism bitch posted:

Considering that people on min wage need to use all the same public infrastructure as everybody else isn't an untaxed minimum wage a kind of stealth government subsidy for shitbag corporations who don't pay their workers enough to live + pay tax?
Course, it'd be much more sensible to cut out the middleman and have bourgie fucks pay all their loving taxes to begin with, but lol if the government will ever try that.

Hmm philosophically I wouldn't think so, that defuses tax responsibility away from the actual point of taxation and actually points towards the business generating the money rather than the workers.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

WhatEvil posted:

Good on you mate, hope you're doing alright.

I live tweeted eight episodes of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon from 1986 last night and lost no followers, so I must be doing something right

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love
Josef.

Have a fun time, bud. But also please remember that if things get real bad and you're struggling that you can still come talk to us if you feel that would be better for you than holding to your sabbatical.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Hmm philosophically I wouldn't think so, that defuses tax responsibility away from the actual point of taxation and actually points towards the business generating the money rather than the workers.

Plus I am very keen to build a bloc of working class voters constantly voting for someone else to be taxed :v:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I live tweeted eight episodes of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon from 1986 last night and lost no followers, so I must be doing something right

it was pretty good! i liked that show a lot when i was a child, i was a ghostbusters kid

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

mehall posted:

have a nice and lovely 70p tax band on anything above 100k.

The problem with this is it is basically murder. I would like to see a leading politician with half a chance of enacting this actually say it just to see all those heads explode.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

CoolCab posted:

it was pretty good! i liked that show a lot when i was a child, i was a ghostbusters kid

It's still quite funny, and there were episodes that were genuinely creepy and/or probably wouldn't pass the censors nowadays. I know they cut the cold open from 'Ghostbusters In Paris' because I had that on tape and had no recollection of the old guy at the start literally rotting away

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

communism bitch posted:

Following that logic there should be no personal allowance, which I can see the argument for too, but you just end up making the minimum wage whatever it would be anyway, plus the 15% tax rake or whatever.

The real fix to this would be Universal Basic Income, tbh.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The problem with this is it is basically murder. I would like to see a leading politician with half a chance of enacting this actually say it just to see all those heads explode.

Quoth Wikipedia:

In 1971 the top rate of income tax on earned income was cut to 75%. A surcharge of 15% kept the top rate on investment income at 90%.[18] In 1974 the cut was partly reversed and the top rate on earned income was raised to 83%. With the investment income surcharge this raised the top rate on investment income to 98%, the highest permanent rate since the war. This applied to incomes over £20,000 (£191,279 as of 2016),[7].

It's not gonna happen immediately, but those are the kinds of targets I'd be working to.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

mehall posted:

Quoth Wikipedia:

In 1971 the top rate of income tax on earned income was cut to 75%. A surcharge of 15% kept the top rate on investment income at 90%.[18] In 1974 the cut was partly reversed and the top rate on earned income was raised to 83%. With the investment income surcharge this raised the top rate on investment income to 98%, the highest permanent rate since the war. This applied to incomes over £20,000 (£191,279 as of 2016),[7].

It's not gonna happen immediately, but those are the kinds of targets I'd be working to.

Lol, sure but we also used to have outdoor toilets and no internet.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aye, better times

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
8 pages is a lot to have to catch up with in one evening. Beards are good and banning (or at the very least restricting) alcohol served in airports is also good (as you'd know if you'd ever been on a plane that had to divert to somewhere else to land because of some pissed-up stag night cunts). These things that I've seen in shops today however are both bad:

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

i can't tell if this is satire or not lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The left must prove it could make an iPad.

Seriously though, the 70s saw the building of a lot of housing stock and conversion/demolition of lovely houses, plus the laying down of our first digital comms infrastructure, and that took money.

It's better than calling them Future Soldiers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bicycle posted:

i can't tell if this is satire or not lol

I'm sure it is (though I didn't dare to open it) but loving hell, talk about normalising the far-right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheHoodedClaw posted:

remove the upper limit on NI contributions?

Scrap NI, it's a regressive tax and only exists so that people with lots of freelance jobs (like, say, MPs...) can dodge it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's the best short term loan company? I've been off work with depression for the last month (I'm back now) but with the sick pay I'm going to be about £200 short on my rent. I could sell stuff but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The left must prove it could make an iPad.

Seriously though, the 70s saw the building of a lot of housing stock and conversion/demolition of lovely houses, plus the laying down of our first digital comms infrastructure, and that took money.

It's better than calling them Future Soldiers.

Yeah I'm not saying we got indoor plumbing and internet because we lowered tax. I'm saying having lowered tax you can pry that lower tax from the cold head exploded hands of those paying it.

Which, I'm not against.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Renaissance Robot posted:

It is, but what do you do with the old blades? Can't throw them away anywhere anymore, and not everyone has a sharps bin at work.

Tesco dried herbs come in a square jar, and the hole in the lid is a semicircle that's just the right width for a razor blade. You can get over a hundred in there (so long as you make sure they're all stacked flat, shake em around if they get caught) so it's just a case of making an occasional trip to a recycling centre that handles them. Or if you've no other choice, put them all in some metal can you can seal by crushing it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

What's the best short term loan company? I've been off work with depression for the last month (I'm back now) but with the sick pay I'm going to be about £200 short on my rent. I could sell stuff but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

Parents

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

im pretty sure any short term loan company is going to rip you off. avoid them. talk to your landlord, talk to family, maybe sell some stuff.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

Lots of love
Josef.

Keep kicking rear end Josef! But watch out for the Dragon of Chaos

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The DPRK posted:

Can we briefly dip in to shavechat? My dermatologist recommends I try a dry electric shaver because wet shaving with a blade is irritating my skin too much. I'm awash in a sea of possibilities and I have no idea what the difference is between a £300 Remington and a £30 Remington.

e: 6 is how old I look after a shave

I use a Panasonic double-headed shaver which cost about $60 ( :911: ), it's pretty good and doesn't irritate the skin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Keep kicking rear end Josef! But watch out for the Dragon of Chaos
The dragons are girls :reject:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I'm not saying we got indoor plumbing and internet because we lowered tax. I'm saying having lowered tax you can pry that lower tax from the cold head exploded hands of those paying it.

Which, I'm not against.

Personal tax rates that high are one of the few cases where the Laffer Curve tends to be true, though. It's much, much easier to attack the wealth of people in the top 1% at source (with property, inheritance, and service taxes) than it is to try and catch it on the last hop into their bank accounts.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The DPRK posted:

I had some revelatory advice from the dermatologist. Nobody uses nearly enough corticosteroid when treating eczema. You should slap on loving loads, apparently, in short bursts (no more than a few days at twice a day), instead of constantly applying a very thin layer. I swear by it now, can go weeks without the slightest flare up in places.

On your body you can quite safely use it like that for 1-2 weeks. It's far better than the 'spreading it thinly' nonsense for months and months on end - you end up exposing yourself to the risks without ever having enough on to properly damp down the inflammation.

The amount of cream required for a full body cover for an average adult (average goon might need more) is about 30g so when people with terrible eczema show up having nursed a single 30g tube for 3 months it's pretty easy to guess the source of 'this cream doesn't work!'

The DPRK posted:

Can the Oneblade go down to skin fairly well or are all electric razors rubbish at that?

The problem with manual razors (as your dermatologist might have explained) is that they cause micro-abrasions on the skin and this is definitely not good when you're prone to eczema. Added to that is the usual mix of shaving creams/lotions/foams and especially aftershave contain all the usual fragrances, chemicals and alcohol which don't play well with eczema and you have a recipe for a flare up.

If you want to stick with manual razors, you can try the Gillette fusion range - I've used it myself on a background of sensitive skin and I can definitely feel the difference vs cheaper razors. Also try shaving with just water (like another goon's mentioned) or with one of your moisturizing creams - something like Aveeno, Diprobase, Epimax. It may help with the irritation. Otherwise you'll have to settle for an electric - I've got a cheap Phillips 2 head tilting job which does a good job, but my facial hair is truly pathetic so YMMV.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

The dragons are girls :reject:

trap sprung, the dragon is whatever the hell your subconscious manages to parse from those cursed images. Personally I think it's hot dogs :freud:

I just realised at least one person on the planet must have that diagram as a tattoo

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

The bank your wage gets paid into.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

To be fair jelly babies were originally called Peace Babies as they were introduced after the end of world war I. According to wikipedia, at any rate. the choice of Help For Heroes is unfortunate, though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

FUTURE FODDER

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

I just realised at least one person on the planet must have that diagram as a tattoo
The proud boy with the jordan tattoo.

e: ^^ they were Unclaimed Babies, then Peace Babies, then Jelly Babies. Because pre WWI people liked reading orphans I guess.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1058101641478619141