Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tl; dr get your Anarki on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Lightning gun change looks promising, I’d like to see it in action. BJ got hurt. Anarki going to be strong.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the subreddit is real mad about the LG change, apparently it feels very different

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

VO updated, now using the voice of Brian Bloom, BJ from MachineGame’s Wolfenstein series.

Oh thank god, no more AAAAAAUUUAAAAHHH

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Scalebearer got hit hard.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ow, just got two duplicate legendaries in my weekly crate :argh:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

quote:

Ghostwalk telefrag damage 8000 to 75

:goofy:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Buff light stacks, nerf heavy stacks, and then some very strange ability nerfs?

Constantly loving with projectile speeds so you have to relearn your airshots is pretty mediocre too.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jabor posted:

Buff light stacks, nerf heavy stacks, and then some very strange ability nerfs?
The stack changes are exactly what they said they would do a while ago, and what most people wanted them to do. Move stacks closer together so abilities are more the defining difference(plus, nerf DK)

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

very happy to see that the turret sucks and that bj is getting flushed. it seems like just about all of the abilities suck now (compared to live patch anyway), which is probably net positive overall. hopefully lights become a bit more prolific without adadad anarki completely taking over the game again. they are just quicker and more fun to play than mediums imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah that unification of skill cooldown time is gonna be a loving killer for some of the classes that are more reliant on 'em. Seems like they're trying to roll back the game's current emphasis on relying on your active skill to set up kill chains, which is fine by me, but drat that's harsh.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 1, 2018

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yeah that unification of skill cooldown time is gonna be a loving killer for some of the classes that are more reliant on 'em. Seems like they're trying to roll back the game's current emphasis on relying on your active skill to set up kill chains, which is fine by me, but drat that's harsh.

That and the damage nerfs are a good first step. Although I think Keel's nades still do 75? is the 500ms delay before being able to fire your primary enough to stop the nade/rocket combo?

Anyways it's exciting times. I might actually be down for some sac pickup games once the patch drops.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

75 damage telefrag sucks. that's not a telefrag that's less damage than a direct hit rocket

ndub posted:

double tapping your orb to get a free kill when you slam into someone around a corner sucks worse

I think I've only ever gotten "deadly slipgate" by quickly tapping, the "shub slayer" one seems to need more precise timing? I've only ever gotten that one when leading shots/tracking enemies off of bouncepads. or maybe I just suck

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 1, 2018

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

double tapping your orb to get a free kill when you slam into someone around a corner sucks worse

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

VO updated, now using the voice of Brian Bloom, BJ from MachineGame’s Wolfenstein series.

Every video game in existence should be updated to have this tbh.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I started to watch QOL more than actually play Quake Champions. What have I become?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

This game is fun and good. I like to shoot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Cooldowns unified at 45 sec
All active abilities disable shooting for 500 ms
Walk speeds unified at 160 ups
All ability explosion radiuses unified to 3 m
All explosion min splash damage unified to 10
All explosive weapon splash radiuses unified to 3 m
All explosive weapons min splash damage unified to 10

Sigh...

Look, the whole point of making a hero shooter is making the heroes really different, to increase the variety of the game! Homogenizing them in this way is always a bad choice. Why all abilities have a 45s cd, that only would work if all the abilities are the same, but you don't want to have all the abilities to be the same, it's ok if some of them are powerful but you can't use them very often, or have abilities not as good but with a quick recharge that defines the champion.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Sigh...

Look, the whole point of making a hero shooter is making the heroes really different, to increase the variety of the game! Homogenizing them in this way is always a bad choice. Why all abilities have a 45s cd, that only would work if all the abilities are the same, but you don't want to have all the abilities to be the same, it's ok if some of them are powerful but you can't use them very often, or have abilities not as good but with a quick recharge that defines the champion.

nah

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Sigh...

Heroes with different abilities was a mistake but the market doesn't want a straight up arena shooter right now. Homogenize them all the way down to getting rid of weight classes and abilities, I say.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i don't like homogenization but putting everything on the same cooldown is really for the people that do stuff like memorize when power-ups are going to respawn while rotating around the map which seems to be the vast majority of those that play regularly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You really think they'd buff the abilities that just got massively nerfed cooldown-wise though, instead of nerfing them even more.

Also, how am I gonna get Disintegrator medals now that I can't cheese them in instagib?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Does anyone play black ops 4 or rainbow six? I’m curious as to the details on how those characters worked out for their respective games.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Black ops 4 is littered with chaotic unaimed aoe instakill stuff. It's not really comparable; they are not trying to provide an actual competitive experience in the way that quake is. It's still fun though IMO, just a completely different type of game, despite appearances. In black ops 4 I will pick a character based on what map is coming up and to a lesser degree, what mode, since some abilities are more suited to objective defense, flushing people out of cover, etc. Obviously, in quake, you are picking a character largely for their movement system and stack size and maybe their ability comes into play - outliers like BJ excepted. Contrast that with something like overwatch, where you are essentially just playing a MOBA character where you are your abilities, and your gun is a sideshow. In bo4 and qc you are primarily a gun, and secondarily a cooldown ability or two

can't speak to siege in any context other than being a sleep aid

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i have countless hours in Siege because it is actually amazing

as someone that has been playing FPS games since Wolfenstein 3D and played tacticool games like the og R6 and counter-strike since before steam existed, i was really skeptical at first despite seeing idris elba in the commercial. But it is really great if you are looking for something with short round times, indoor shootouts and a steep learning curve

that curve leans more toward map knowledge than abilities btw. and while there are absolutely distinct differences between what makes each character who they are, at the end of it all each operator has a gun and sidearm in a game where headshots are 1 hit kills. so if you want you can pretty much ignore all the meta poo poo and left click dudes like its TDM

they plan on having 100 characters and so far a lot of the "dlc" characters are often hyrbids of existing ones. they straddle a good line between being overly homogenized and having distinct playstyles per character. unless you plan on lvling up to the very top tier you can basically play anyone you want for whatever reason and be viable

they basically built an entire game around cs_militia/cs_assault where some players can set traps, some can bust through reinforced walls, some have shields, some use drones and cameras, etc

but the most significant thing about it is the sound design. there's nothing else quite like it yet but i expect pathing the sound through the maps to become "a thing" years from now because of it

tl;dr its good and goes on free weekend often enough to try it at some point before you totally forget it exists. just don't buy the starter edition

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The most important thing to remember the balance in Siege is that the ultimate hard counter to everything is shooting the other guy in the face. All the abilities are ultimately there to make it easier for you or harder for the other guy to to this.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

their version of nyx is just a guy that can only go invisible on cameras but he gets a 2-shot railgun

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I somehow have scalebearer's lore outfit without having all of his lore scrolls

also, my speedometer keeps turning itself on

:iiam:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

hawowanlawow posted:

I somehow have scalebearer's lore outfit without having all of his lore scrolls
We all do. 50% reward for October Slipgate event.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
https://www.shacknews.com/article/108503/quake-champions-november-update-to-add-new-champion-eisen

Turret man should hit soon.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

The patch should’ve launched yesterday, but they hosed something up and reversed it back to the old patch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There will also be a new event, Team Eisen vs. Team Clutch, with all champions available in the free rotation. Everyone who participates gets prizes, but which team wins determines what those prizes are.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 16, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I hate turret guys

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

hawowanlawow posted:

I hate turret guys

I'm not thinking you'll see much of him outside of Seige and CTF.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So how much of ye olde q3 cast are scheduled to reappear. Do we have a roadmap?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I hope they bring back the alien who squeals like a piggy.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mindblast posted:

So how much of ye olde q3 cast are scheduled to reappear. Do we have a roadmap?
5 new champs in 2018!

A few have been hinted at or referenced in data mined files. Hunter and Klesk I think are the only ones in that group that haven’t been released so far.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The Kins posted:

There will also be a new event, Team Eisen vs. Team Clutch, with all champions available in the free rotation. Everyone who participates gets prizes, but which team wins determines what those prizes are.

Why is Strogg in the human's side rather than robot side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

kaschei posted:

5 new champs in 2018!

A few have been hinted at or referenced in data mined files. Hunter and Klesk I think are the only ones in that group that haven’t been released so far.

Hunter? Haha. I figured a few characters would be almost assuredly be skipped and I figured it'd be her and Mynx. She'll probably get a big overhaul.