Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

cenotaph posted:

Which pnp did you use?

https://www.boardgamesenhanced.com/blog/2015/08/06/container-3d-printed-remake

My boards are more square and my box is smaller than the one in that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I downloaded that one but it's kinda ugly.

Never actually got around to making Container or Neue Heimat because one of my good econ game players moved away. Gives me an opporunity to play all my 2p games, at least.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I am deeply troubled people want smaller games. What next, Gloomhaven with cardboard stands for the players??

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

al-azad posted:

I am deeply troubled people want smaller games. What next, Gloomhaven with cardboard stands for the players??

Gloomhaven but it’s just a bunch of 1’s and 0’s on a hard drive

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I downloaded that one but it's kinda ugly.

Never actually got around to making Container or Neue Heimat because one of my good econ game players moved away. Gives me an opporunity to play all my 2p games, at least.

I like the look of the 3D printed pieces. My player boards look slightly different I think? I'll pull my copy out and take some pictures later.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I like the look of the 3D printed pieces. My player boards look slightly different I think? I'll pull my copy out and take some pictures later.

Oh, yeah the pieces look good. I would just use the plastic cubes I have lying around, though.

Fellis posted:

Gloomhaven but it’s just a bunch of 1’s and 0’s on a hard drive
Yes, please.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

al-azad posted:

People call out Splotter for being too expensive for the quality of components but Splotter is economically smart because they know what's sustainable.

Let me show you my collection of cereal boxes and old magic cards,

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There’s a space container retheme that uses cubes. Kinda wish there was a deluxe designer edition of container that was as big as the OGRE box though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cenotaph posted:

Yes, please.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
have they said at all if digital gloomahaven will be playable multiplayer?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Impermanent posted:

have they said at all if digital gloomahaven will be playable multiplayer?

Planned to be added in post-release.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’m probably in the extreme minority of people who would be catered to with a heavy economic game that also happens to have jumbo minis to paint, but I’m hoping the mercury games trend continues. I hate on CMON games cuz they suck but if there were ever a deluxe great Zimbabwe or FCM that had 12” minis for each of the gods and lots of minis to paint, i would definitely buy them. I want some zeppelins and trucks and houses in a giant FFG coffin box.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Planned to be added in post-release.

curses

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Morpheus posted:

It's not the quality of the components, it's the quality of their art design (which is garbage)

If Klemens Franz did the art for Splotter they would practically be cheating their way to the kenner SdJ every year

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m probably in the extreme minority of people who would be catered to with a heavy economic game that also happens to have jumbo minis to paint, but I’m hoping the mercury games trend continues. I hate on CMON games cuz they suck but if there were ever a deluxe great Zimbabwe or FCM that had 12” minis for each of the gods and lots of minis to paint, i would definitely buy them. I want some zeppelins and trucks and houses in a giant FFG coffin box.

FCM with life sized drinks, burgers, and pizza.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So I played Reiner Knizia's Age of War the other night and even the best designers have their off days. I can't think of many games that involve fewer strategic decisions, which would be OK if it were filler length, but we were playing with 6 and only 1 card was captured after 3 rounds. I bowed out before I had any effect on the game so I could play Yellow & Yangtze with a different group.

Y&Y is more forgiving than T&E, but I think at the loss of some of the features that make T&E so compelling. Racing for treasures is just plain better than simply drawing yellow tiles or buying them from the market row. And external wars cause such little destruction for such little reward that they hardly seem worth attempting or worrying about. Pagodas go up and come down easily--every decision you make seems low risk.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I know compared to most hobbies that board games aren't expensive but I'm not willing to fork out premium prices for something that could be done with :10bux: worth of cubes and cards when I have to moderate my game consumption. I'll shell out the money for 18xx and wargames because the components are demanding, but Container is only a grail game because they keep overproducing the drat thing. If they want to print stuff like the wood box War of the Ring go ahead, but stop gating simple games behind premium editions.

CaptainRightful posted:

So I played Reiner Knizia's Age of War the other night and even the best designers have their off days. I can't think of many games that involve fewer strategic decisions, which would be OK if it were filler length, but we were playing with 6 and only 1 card was captured after 3 rounds. I bowed out before I had any effect on the game so I could play Yellow & Yangtze with a different group.
It's Risk Express

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

ketchup vs catsup posted:

FCM with life sized drinks, burgers, and pizza.

drat it, I said 32mm, not 32cm! Oh well, ship it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Have they said if Gloomhaven is going to have the full original campaign or is it a new one? Having the full campaign would be nice if only to be able to run it online, but I assume it'll be a new one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

Have they said if Gloomhaven is going to have the full original campaign or is it a new one? Having the full campaign would be nice if only to be able to run it online, but I assume it'll be a new one.

Both. A rogue-like campaign and the original story one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cenotaph posted:

I know compared to most hobbies that board games aren't expensive but I'm not willing to fork out premium prices for something that could be done with :10bux: worth of cubes and cards when I have to moderate my game consumption. I'll shell out the money for 18xx and wargames because the components are demanding, but Container is only a grail game because they keep overproducing the drat thing. If they want to print stuff like the wood box War of the Ring go ahead, but stop gating simple games behind premium editions.

I understand your frustration. I agree that there should be cheap and deluxe versions like what TMG does. However, for really compelling heavy economic games that just have so much replay value? I’ll pay $200+ for them cuz I know they’ll get played over and over. There was a KS for a wooden 18xx-lite a while back. Didn’t fund but it was $250 for a custom wooden board and tiles. Definitely up for more of those.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

drat it, I said 32mm, not 32cm! Oh well, ship it.

:eyepop:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Hey guys. Does anyone fancy a PBP of the next hot Gutter Owl prototype?

But uh. For the record, it's a liiiiiittle different in tone from Meltwater...

FUJOSHI! Dirty Rotten Shippers! (aka SENPAI! Please Notice Me! aka Pax Kokoro) is a romance and matchmaking card game for 2-4 players.
You take on the role of a group of fujoshi and conspire to make seven attractive anime boys (or even...g...girls???) kiss each other!

At the start of the game, players pick the relationships they want to bet on, then spend their turns scouting, convincing, and cajoling the NPC protagonists to fall for the right partner. Successful pairings score points, and rare pairs score a bonus!

GO, have you lost your mind?

Probably! But I want to assure you, this is no light nothing of an Exploding Kittens rip-off. Weird theme aside, this is a middleweight card game that should provide a nice crunchy experience, drawing from inspirations like Argent and Pax Renaissance.

If you want the dry version, it's a dutch-auction based tableau builder, except the tableaus you're building are all neutral NPCS in the middle of the board, and you're trying to bet on which tableaus will synergize the best. But that's boring, and you're boring, and it's anime kissing time.

Prototype rules are here. Cardsheets will be up shortly.

I need at least four brave souls to venture into the moe. Tekopo, Softnum, and Pseudo expressed interest in the discord, so they have first dibs if they want it. If there's enough interest, I'll gladly run two PBPs. Please note that the game is just beginning its balance testing, and I'm doing this for data and feedback.

So who's feeling brave?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 2, 2018

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I am anime trash and probably owe you a playtesting or two

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Both. A rogue-like campaign and the original story one.

I'm both a little staggered and also quite pleased

Stelas fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 2, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I don't know what PBP means but I like the sound of the game so I'd try it!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm guessing it's play by post

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

hosed up that people have forgotten the meaning of PBP (it's running a game in a thread)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is Post expanded to widely mean any sort of communication i.e. email, discord, etc or are people literally using snail mail to get games done in this day and age?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is Post expanded to widely mean any sort of communication i.e. email, discord, etc or are people literally using snail mail to get games done in this day and age?

Post as in "a post in a Something Awful thread."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you wanted to describe a single comment on an internet message board such as Something Awful, what word would you use?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jabor posted:

If you wanted to describe a single comment on an internet message board such as Something Awful, what word would you use?

:itwaspoo:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I'm in for anime dating game; hidden information games are my jam, especially as someone who's made a lot of mafia setups.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

There is a Play by Mail Association in Germany and next to stuff like Chess, they offer Agricola and in The year of The Dragon. A game can take months or more.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I am also on board for the anime trash adorableness, if there is space.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I’m totally in to try out this game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

discount cathouse posted:

There is a Play by Mail Association in Germany and next to stuff like Chess, they offer Agricola and in The year of The Dragon. A game can take months or more.

You can still play a few of the old PBM games - KJC are apparently on the go even to this day, running Monster Island and It's A Crime.

I miss the old days of Flagship Magazine, though. The game diaries were great to read, particularly the Starweb diary. RIP Carol, RIP the hobby. :(

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Hmm. That's better than the recent reprint but it's still a long way from being pretty

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Since I have vacation days banked, I took a day off yesterday and actually had the brain to play games with my wife!

Empires of the Void II, second time we've played this $1-at-a-library-booksale game. Including setup and teardown, maybe a couple hours two player? I suspect it'll get a little faster as we get more experienced, but probably not THAT much faster. Game feels decently snappy, 2p has a lot of opportunistic sniping that I suspect works a bit differently at 3-5. We had fun! My wife was a little ticked at a bad-roll-plus-bad-card-draw combo that cost her a big attack, which I can understand; against other players, there's just the one random roll, but against the inhabited planets, it's basically two random rolls, just increasing variance. I won 38-32, started with "build all your cities" as my goal and got it for the first scoring, giving me good income and vp.

Ticket to Ride: New York we just picked up at Target for 13.50 (20, on sale 18, 25% off one toy/bgame coupon). Plays in like 10 minutes but feels enough like TTR, good pickup for us. I suspect this will be the first TTR game we play with full rules with my almost 4 year old, it's totally just Ticket but with much shorter routes and a smaller board, both of which make the game much easier to handle. I ended the game a turn or two faster than my wife expected, leaving myself with one taxi and no cards, so in the final turn I just beeped at her and she glared at me. Didn't bother counting up scores since she lost two tickets to my speedy beeping.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Ticket to Ride: New York we just picked up at Target for 13.50 (20, on sale 18, 25% off one toy/bgame coupon). Plays in like 10 minutes but feels enough like TTR, good pickup for us. I suspect this will be the first TTR game we play with full rules with my almost 4 year old, it's totally just Ticket but with much shorter routes and a smaller board, both of which make the game much easier to handle. I ended the game a turn or two faster than my wife expected, leaving myself with one taxi and no cards, so in the final turn I just beeped at her and she glared at me. Didn't bother counting up scores since she lost two tickets to my speedy beeping.

We found it to be a little too simple and short, coming to it after several months of playing the expansions, which all add some mechanics. But we definitely threw it in the "the girls will love this once they are stronger readers" pile. It's pretty perfect for that. Looking at the rules for First Journey, the only rules changes I can see are

1) Everyone starts with 2 routes (no discarding)
2) Everyone starts with 4 train cards and there's no face-up offer, you can only draw 2 off the top
3) Only 6 colors
4) When you finish a ticket, turn it face up then draw a replacement. If any of your tickets are impossible, you can instead pitch your two incomplete tickets and draw two new ones for your turn.
5) First person to finish 6 tickets wins, and going Coast to Coast nets you a special card that counts as a completed route.

All those might not work for NY (6 to win might not be right and the C2C card would take some figuring, 8 colors over 6 should still be OK) but overall the rules changes look good for little ones.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you want people to mail you about anime boys kissing, you only have to ask friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huxley posted:

We found it to be a little too simple and short, coming to it after several months of playing the expansions, which all add some mechanics. But we definitely threw it in the "the girls will love this once they are stronger readers" pile. It's pretty perfect for that. Looking at the rules for First Journey, the only rules changes I can see are

1) Everyone starts with 2 routes (no discarding)
2) Everyone starts with 4 train cards and there's no face-up offer, you can only draw 2 off the top
3) Only 6 colors
4) When you finish a ticket, turn it face up then draw a replacement. If any of your tickets are impossible, you can instead pitch your two incomplete tickets and draw two new ones for your turn.
5) First person to finish 6 tickets wins, and going Coast to Coast nets you a special card that counts as a completed route.

All those might not work for NY (6 to win might not be right and the C2C card would take some figuring, 8 colors over 6 should still be OK) but overall the rules changes look good for little ones.

I mean we've played pretty much all of ticket, it was nice playing a super express version in ten minutes. And, yeah, excited to play it with the gosling.