Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

QwertySanchez posted:

A recent episode showed how all the different members of the simpson family finally die, and, well, see for yourself..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSE1itqRoEg

“I KNEW IT WAS A SANDWICH”

What is the point of this line? Like honestly. It’s not a joke in any conceivable sense. Like, the “gun” actually being a sandwich isn’t funny, but I can at least comprehend how it’s intended to be a joke - the police shoot Homer cus they think he has a shotgun, but surprise! It’s a sandwich! But what does Wiggum saying that add, like at all? Is it supposed to be a “Oh, uh, I wasn’t really wrong, I was just pretending!” sort of deal? Like that Wiggum said to shoot Homer and then tried to play off that mistake? We could have figured that out through context clues entirely, the line wasn’t needed. Was it to try and explain that Wiggum mistakenly thought Homer had a gun? If that’s the case, it doesn’t clear that up either, and probably just adds to the confusion. Wha tthe gently caress is the simpsons.

e: the Maggie joke at the end and Flanders' Wall of Dead Wives were kinda funny jokes. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CodfishCartographer posted:

What is the point of this line? Like honestly. It’s not a joke in any conceivable sense. Like, the “gun” actually being a sandwich isn’t funny, but I can at least comprehend how it’s intended to be a joke - the police shoot Homer cus they think he has a shotgun, but surprise! It’s a sandwich! But what does Wiggum saying that add, like at all? Is it supposed to be a “Oh, uh, I wasn’t really wrong, I was just pretending!” sort of deal? Like that Wiggum said to shoot Homer and then tried to play off that mistake? We could have figured that out through context clues entirely, the line wasn’t needed. Was it to try and explain that Wiggum mistakenly thought Homer had a gun? If that’s the case, it doesn’t clear that up either, and probably just adds to the confusion. Wha tthe gently caress is the simpsons.

e: the Maggie joke at the end and Flanders' Wall of Dead Wives were kinda funny jokes. Sort of.

no...it's making a fat joke, as he immediately grabbed it and died choking on it. he literally killed homer to steal his sandwich.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Hahahaha, the fat man killed the fat man wow peak comedy. I want to know who is actually watching this poo poo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I chuckled slightly at Ralph, Emperor of Earth

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

no...it's making a fat joke, as he immediately grabbed it and died choking on it. he literally killed homer to steal his sandwich.

I mean I get the joke that he ate the sandwich and died, but why have him say that line? Is it a “I suspected it might have been a sandwich, and I was right!” line, so he killed him to get to the sandwich? If so that’s even more poorly explained, unless i’m real dumb.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CodfishCartographer posted:

The joke is making the viewer think Homer was robbing a bank, but actually Wiggum consciously murdered him to get his sandwich. This is funny because he fat.

The line is there to make sure you don't think Homer was killed by accident.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like, template-wise they're trying to pull off

"Dad! You killed zombie Flanders!"
"He was a zombie?"

But, welp

The Bible
May 8, 2010

And then he openly confessed to murder immediately in front of a dozen police officers at the scene and moment of the crime?

Also, the viewer was to believe Homer robbed a bank with a boxed shotgun? Why? How?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Wouldn't it actually have been (comparatively) funnier if Wiggum DIDN'T know it was a sandwich? You know, because he's stupid? You could still have him eat the sandwich.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Who IS still watching the Simpsons though?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

Who IS still watching the Simpsons though?

I don't know a single person who watches it. Even people who eat up Bing Bang Theory never mention The Simpsons.

Imagine making a show no one is watching.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Also, why were the police called to begin with? If Homer walked in with a sandwich and just made a regular transaction, there was no robbery. Who called the police? Did Homer actually rob a bank with a sandwich? God drat it everyone

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Elderbean posted:

I don't know a single person who watches it. Even people who eat up Bing Bang Theory never mention The Simpsons.

Literally everyone I talk to about it outside of home is surprised to learn it's still on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Homer bank thing is because one of the Six Feet Under characters was shot to death working as a security guard.

I didn't think it was nearly as terrible as some of you, but it was still pretty poorly paced and way way way late because holy poo poo the finale of Six Feet Under aired in, what, 2005/2006?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Homer bank thing is because one of the Six Feet Under characters was shot to death working as a security guard.

I didn't think it was nearly as terrible as some of you, but it was still pretty poorly paced and way way way late because holy poo poo the finale of Six Feet Under aired in, what, 2005/2006?

Well, you see it takes 12 years to get the animation back from Korea, so

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I can't blame the animators for not giving a poo poo. Working on that show in it's prime would have been exciting for any animator. A lot of hard work but you got to be a part of something special.

I'd you're an animator for that show now you likely know that it's on dialysis and that no one is really watching it. You're also a Korean intern and completely removed from the writing process.

There are so many ridiculously talented artists out there who would jump at the opportunity to bring their own voice to something as huge as the simpsons but the industry wants cheap passable poo poo.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 2, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a terrible strain on the animator's wrists

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

QwertySanchez posted:

A recent episode showed how all the different members of the simpson family finally die, and, well, see for yourself..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSE1itqRoEg

The fact that they put Bart in the SCOTUS robe for this lovely clip makes me kinda mad.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, why were the police called to begin with? If Homer walked in with a sandwich and just made a regular transaction, there was no robbery. Who called the police? Did Homer actually rob a bank with a sandwich? God drat it everyone

Alternate Wiggum lines:
“That’s for kicking me out of the B Sharps!”
“That’s for cheating at the chili cook off!”
“That’s for making my son tar your roof!”
“That’s for getting me out of the tub seven times with your autodialer!”
“That’s for betraying the Stonecutters!”

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 2, 2018

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Alternate Wiggum lines:
“That’s for kicking me out of the B Sharps!”
“That’s for cheating at the chili cook off!”
“That’s for making my son tar your roof!”
“That’s for getting me out of the tub seven times with your autodialer!”
“That’s for betraying the Stonecutters!”

God drat. All of those are better jokes

Cant wait until fans pull a Dragon Ball Z abridged and just dub their own jokes and lined over edited episodes. Start at the HD seasons for extra layers of difficultly

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So uh, somewhere in this thread we were discussing the relative quality of South Park, right?

Because the episode they aired last night, "The Scoots", was fantastic. One of the absolute best they've ever done.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So uh, somewhere in this thread we were discussing the relative quality of South Park, right?

Because the episode they aired last night, "The Scoots", was fantastic. One of the absolute best they've ever done.

Trey and Matt can do that sort of thing , because they have so much money and the show has been on so long , if an entire season is poo poo they just try something different next season .

Simpsons will never get better , it can’t take any risks . South Park killer off Mr . Hanky just to make a jab at the Simpsons . At least South Park can address current events as they happen . The Simpsons will get that to a later date . *turns to viewer * if at all

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah at least South Park has an insane pipeline where they can make an episode within a week or something nuts. Simpsons isn't that topical.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
and the animation has gotten noticeably better and it adds to the charm. The amount of detail in facial expressions and stuff while still having the same basic art style is good . It was pretty noticeable around 2006 when Ike was banging his teacher

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
New simpsons is allowed to be bad because they aren't worried about whether or not enough networks will pay syndication rights. The world doesn't thrive on reruns any more, so they couldn't care less how timeless and rewatchable the epiapdes are

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sentient Data posted:

New simpsons is allowed to be bad because they aren't worried about whether or not enough networks will pay syndication rights. The world doesn't thrive on reruns any more, so they couldn't care less how timeless and rewatchable the epiapdes are

what are you talking about

there’s an entire cable channel dedicated to mostly old Simpson episodes

most people have Netflix to rewatch the office

hell they’ll still showing king of the hill on Comedy Central

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Matt and Trey constantly bounce between loving the episode they are working on and being despondent that it's the worst thing they've ever done.

Al Jean will never admit anything is wrong with the show in fact it's better than ever how dare you suggest otherwise.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Trey and Matt can do that sort of thing , because they have so much money and the show has been on so long , if an entire season is poo poo they just try something different next season .

Simpsons will never get better , it can’t take any risks . South Park killer off Mr . Hanky just to make a jab at the Simpsons . At least South Park can address current events as they happen . The Simpsons will get that to a later date . *turns to viewer * if at all

what's up with your punctuation brother

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Riptor posted:

what's up with your punctuation brother

He's an idiot.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
If these trends continue...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What happened between season 11 and 12?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wrote something about this turn on the Simpsons a LONG time ago in this thread about the SImpsons ratings. Forbes and I must be using some different numbers, as I thought I was pulling mine from Wiki when I typed all that up. I show a different high/low around that time.

It CAN'T be a 9/11 'people staying home, watching comfort TV' thing, because the internet says Season 12 was Nov '00-May' 01, though. Was Fox still showing NFL (or some other major sporting event games) at that time? I could see a lot of people sticking around after it was done. Only stuff like Futurama probably would have gotten preempted or not aired at all by a long-running game and post-game commentary section.

A few years later though, the gradual decline of the Simpsons might be attributed to to the MUCH stronger competition on almost every channel.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My guess is that that is when the original runs of Family Guy and Futurama were fresh and airing along with new Simpsons episodes, in addition to new King of the Hill episodes and Malcolm in the Middle. It was a solid lineup.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_United_States_network_television_schedule

Looking at Simpsons and what it was scheduled between in 2002 looks like a mess that year. Hell, skip forward it seems like EVERY year after seems to be the Fox trying to find something to pair with the show on Sundays.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

SeANMcBAY posted:

Lightning hit the transmitter.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

why does this guy follow me from thread to thread

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It just so happens I'm watching through South Park right now, after not having seen it in a long time. I would say about season 7 is when they hit their peak. Cartman tries all sorts of bizarre and hilarious schemes which often antagonize Stan and Kyle, but only through circumstances. He's racist, but in a casual, believable kind of way.

In season 8, where I'm at right now, he's suddenly a literal nazi who often serves as the primary antagonist even when it makes no sense. I don't know, it just changes the whole dynamic. Still not bad so far though, I'm going to keep watching for the time being.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite South Park is Casa Bonita

I love Cartman's sheer joy at finally enjoying Casa Bonita

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Watching the Nightmare on FaceTime episode last night and that one held up great. I had to make sure the date of release (2012) because with the last few years of Blockbuster nostalgia and continued Avengers hype, it seemed like it could have been released this year.

It also shares a bit of a theme with this season, too: Randy pulling his family into a new family business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Early South Park was great. Seasons 3-8 were gold. From "2 Naked Guys In A Hot Tub" to through "Manbearpig" or so. "Scott Tennorman Must Die" was awesome, but marked the change in Cartman from dumb jerk to active rear end in a top hat.

Randy is falling into the Jerkass Homer trap though.