Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It will be faster to remove all the doors and hardware and spray than to paint the cabinet doors with acrylic while they're still hung.

Your floor and counter are warm colors so I would use warm whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’m a bicycle-riding, downtown-living, sneakers-wearing, street-food eating goon

gently caress cars gently caress low-density housing gently caress ‘fine dining’

e: also gently caress word art and putting string lights inside of mason jars

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you think it would be relevant to organise a thread amnesty where everyone said, anonymously, what they would be happy to spend on say a car, a pair of shoes, a meal? So I can understand how rich everyone is when I think about someone repainting their kitchen? Because I think I'm operating on a vastly different level to everyone else?

edit... sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I am not soliciting for a respray of my Lamborghini.

Professional painters are expensive, yes. I guess I assumed that was in the budget because a reno was mentioned.

However, I have repainted cabinets myself. Turned out pretty good despite being super time consuming. Cost was $10 for a jug of CitriStrip and about $30 for paint at Home Depot. This was a single bathroom vanity with 2 doors and 3 drawers, and it took the better part of a weekend to get it stripped, sanded, and 2 coats of paint on it. Most of that time was the stripping - I didn't want to sand too much in order to preserve the molding, but I knew I needed every bit of the original finish removed so the paint would take evenly.

So, a full kitchen would probably take 5x - 10x that, depending on how large the kitchen is. My sister got her cabinets resprayed for, IIRC, about $500 for the labor. For me that amount "costs" less to me than the time it takes to do it myself - mostly because I can't "afford" to have my kitchen unavailable for that length of time it would take me to do it while also working a full time job. At the same time I will gladly paint most things myself, because with a little prep and a lot of patience, it's actually not hard to do a good job.

A lot of home ownership is learning what is worth it to learn to DIY and what isn't.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
edit. in response to prava slut... i guess

ok but like you've got a house and some shoes and eat poo poo. But if your answer is just thousands of dollars for whatever I happen to deem important then that will be sufficient. I guess what I mean is I can't afford that and its silly for me to suggest things in a thread that is way out of my league so soz, OK cool I'll stick to reading.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess what I mean is I can't afford that and its silly for me to suggest things in a thread that is way out of my league so soz, OK cool I'll stick to reading.

My bad, I thought you were the original poster who posted the kitchen. Home ownership is expensive, especially if you're trying to reno everything to your taste. I have a list of things I would like to do to my home but can't afford to do them all right now. Painting is one of those that's either time-expensive or money-expensive. Usually I have more time than money.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a ton of stuff about my house that I would absolutely change if I had either unlimited time or unlimited money. I have limited both, so I just live with the imperfections as I gradually pick away at whatever's irritating me the most.

By the way, a word of warning on paint: you get what you pay for. Compared to the time investment involved in painting something, it is absolutely worth paying for not-poo poo-tier paint that won't be peeling inside of a year. And speaking of peeling, 90% of a painting job is in the prep work. If the paint doesn't adhere well to the underlying surface then you're gonna have a bad time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The first weekend we owned our house we decided to tape off the kitchen before we moved everything in, take all the doors off the cabinets/drawers (about 27-30), sand them and the framing, and apply a fresh coat of white paint.

It wasn't the worst thing, got it done within the weekend or 4 days I believe, but it was really loving tiring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vonnegutt posted:

Professional painters are expensive, yes. I guess I assumed that was in the budget because a reno was mentioned.

However, I have repainted cabinets myself. Turned out pretty good despite being super time consuming. Cost was $10 for a jug of CitriStrip and about $30 for paint at Home Depot. This was a single bathroom vanity with 2 doors and 3 drawers, and it took the better part of a weekend to get it stripped, sanded, and 2 coats of paint on it. Most of that time was the stripping - I didn't want to sand too much in order to preserve the molding, but I knew I needed every bit of the original finish removed so the paint would take evenly.

So, a full kitchen would probably take 5x - 10x that, depending on how large the kitchen is. My sister got her cabinets resprayed for, IIRC, about $500 for the labor. For me that amount "costs" less to me than the time it takes to do it myself - mostly because I can't "afford" to have my kitchen unavailable for that length of time it would take me to do it while also working a full time job. At the same time I will gladly paint most things myself, because with a little prep and a lot of patience, it's actually not hard to do a good job.

A lot of home ownership is learning what is worth it to learn to DIY and what isn't.

You could also get new doors fairly affordably and of good quality at IKEA. For all that your cabinets are dark, they would actually pair well with a light or white door that provides a tasteful contrast. It’s cheap and can be done in a day if you’re quick. Also means you can put the old doors on Craigslist and try to recoup some cash.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just photoshop your picture to figure out the color

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I can't make it white but here ya go (they all look really good lol)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the green is pretty sweet actually

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Needs thick pink stripes on the top 1/3rd of the wall

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’m a bicycle-riding, downtown-living, sneakers-wearing, street-food eating goon

gently caress cars gently caress low-density housing gently caress ‘fine dining’

e: also gently caress word art and putting string lights inside of mason jars

You can have your tiny white empty box in the city, someone's got to live there.

I'll take a couple acres or so in the 95% of the country that isn't major urban center density.

With you on the word art though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Needs thick pink stripes on the top 1/3rd of the wall

knife collage over the sink

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I dunno I think we're on to something

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hang on, need to get it Zoopla-ready

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hear Namekian cuisine is very delicious.

(Honestly I do kind of like this, but not sure I would long term.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

peanut posted:

I can't make it white but here ya go (they all look really good lol)

I like them all to glance at but I'm not sure about living with. Maybe the blue.

I had red gloss cabinets in my first house, they faded to orange in the sun.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Huge, razor-sharp cleaver over the sink

FTFY

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

pluckyginger posted:

We are starting by painting the walls a very light gray (cool-toned) and the ceilings the same white as the trim. I was thinking of doing the upper cabinets next... should I go with a cool toned white or a warm toned white? I will probably have to do the countertop and the lower cabinets at the same time if I am going with blue. Can I get away with keeping the floors or will that look bad?

Appreciate any tips or ideas for what to do with the space!

Taste wise, I'm right with you. I hate this style of kitchen, and that backsplash is my #1 pet peeve. That being said, I'd probably leave it alone for a year and really get a feel for how the light changes and how a quartz counter works for you.

I saw this on reddit:

Which gave me a chuckle and inspired me to watch the episode, which turned out to be the heartwarming story of a couple who spent over a million dollars buying and tearing down a post war bungalow and replacing it with a brutalist 1.5 story home inspired by the husband's love of skate park design.

The front entrance:

The view the kids have from their bedrooms:

Only a little seepage!

The photos in the link don't do justice to how dark and looming every corner of the house is, even in the face of studio lights. Aside from the sliding doors to the back, the only operable windows open into the sunken patio so not only is it a concrete bunker, but you can't enjoy a cross breeze on a warm summer evening. No woodburner either, I wonder how well the heated floors work with no other source of radiant heat.

I actually don't hate the outside, it's a shame they couldn't do a skim coat of plaster on the interior to bounce some light around, and build it so that everyone in the house could enjoy the nice view into the country side, not just the parents. It's up at dailymotion, though I have no idea how long those links usually last.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Jesus, they built a house with all the character of an interstate overpass. :stonk:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like the outside, but the interior is a case study in why they stopped making brutalist buildings. Turns out buildings in styles that explicitly minimize windows kinda suck to live in. Who knew?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

whalesteak posted:

Well, the kids can see all the sights they want when they go to Tosche Station *after* they've done their chores.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I love how the guy keeps rationalizing all the mistakes. "It adds character".

What a disaster. The making of a white elephant.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Did that show really have nudity and scenes of a sexual nature?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Look, if you don't get off on bare concrete then I don't know what to tell you.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

whalesteak posted:

I saw this on reddit:

I'm the 40 quid "an art" from the design museum london

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ideal for racquetball enthusiasts.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

oh no, it's awful

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jaded Burnout posted:

oh no, it's awful

It can't be awful, it has an eames!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

And potted plants, I can't see why more people don't decorate like that!

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

BigFactory posted:

The owner couldn't stop himself from jizzing uncontrollably every time he caressed the unsanded concrete that made up the walls, floor, and ceiling of his baby's nursery.

You wouldn't under stand, it's because "the material is honest!"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

whalesteak posted:

Taste wise, I'm right with you. I hate this style of kitchen, and that backsplash is my #1 pet peeve. That being said, I'd probably leave it alone for a year and really get a feel for how the light changes and how a quartz counter works for you.

I saw this on reddit:

Which gave me a chuckle and inspired me to watch the episode, which turned out to be the heartwarming story of a couple who spent over a million dollars buying and tearing down a post war bungalow and replacing it with a brutalist 1.5 story home inspired by the husband's love of skate park design.

The front entrance:
;

Only a little seepage!

The photos in the link don't do justice to how dark and looming every corner of the house is, even in the face of studio lights. Aside from the sliding doors to the back, the only operable windows open into the sunken patio so not only is it a concrete bunker, but you can't enjoy a cross breeze on a warm summer evening. No woodburner either, I wonder how well the heated floors work with no other source of radiant heat.

I actually don't hate the outside, it's a shame they couldn't do a skim coat of plaster on the interior to bounce some light around, and build it so that everyone in the house could enjoy the nice view into the country side, not just the parents. It's up at dailymotion, though I have no idea how long those links usually last.

Jesus gently caress, it looks like a section of the Batterie Todt.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

oh no, it's awful

Sure, it's awful now. But it will be a pretty cool and spooky urbex ruin someday. Was it a small factory? A dentists office? A fallout bunker? :iiam:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Injuries on top of insults: all the drat chairs but maybe one or two look deeply uncomfortable to sit upon. Wood stool. Wooden bench. Molded plastic chair. A fabric chair but with a back so low it's more like a stool. Big, yellow fabric couch but you must slouch and readjust every once in a while lest you slide off it completely.

That looks like a concrete hellspace. There's not even a pile of pillows you can law on. gently caress. Also it's Brutalist. Where the hell are the plants? The overgrowing, reclaiming vines and trees, not those anemic little potted plants. I'm so mad at those I want to shove them over. They don't deserve that, or being in that awful place. #FreeThosePlants!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I would love to survive the zombies in this place. A+++ would recommend.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I also appreciate that there's no easy way to get in or out of the pool

Don't catch your toe on the elevated trough that surrounds the pool, since you'll snap your ankle as you face plant into the ground below.

Edit: I can't stress enough how much these parents must hate their kids

Mom and Dad get: the only elevated room, full light, door to back garden, view of pool and rolling countryside.
Children get: room in the basement, tiny ground level window, prison exercise yard.

My kids have the bedroom over the garden because I specifically want them to see the amazing fall foliage of our and our neighbors trees, to smell the burst of fragrant spring blossoms every april, and to watch all the birds and squirrels that flock to our feeders. I can't imagine a parent spending a MILLION pounds to give their child a view of the ground (if they crouch down) or a concrete wall.

whalesteak fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 3, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fortunately when the nukes hit, the windows will focus the blast like a shaped charge and end all of their inevitable suffering.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I've never seen a house that feels like the ambiance would be improved upon by the sound of interstate traffic but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yikes. Yeah. Brutalism needs lots of light and 'airy' interior space to be livable. Contrasting materials can help a lot, too. Dumbass dug himself a lovely bunker.