Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

I don't know what region gets these but it sure as poo poo ain't Florida.

Should be everywhere. Just started with the new research added an hour ago.

Just got a surprise adventure sync notification of 78km. So many balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1058070327283073026

As someone who is not Level 40, I can confirm that the option doesn't show up for non Level 40 trainers.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Louisgod posted:

I'm level 40 so I don't really care, but Mithalas, KarpMcPoyle, PoppingFresh22, you're coming up on Best Friend status in the next few days. I'm going to send you all gifts the next few days instead of me opening yours so you can time your lucky eggs for when you want.

TankSinatra1, you're coming up on Ultra Friend tomorrow, feel free to open the gift I sent you whenever's convenient for you so you can get 2x experience.

Can you send NekoSukimin a gift? I'm one off of great friends with you and could time it with a few other people.

I opened my research breakthrough at 1:10 and it was fixed by then. In exchange, I clicked on a random Eevee and got a shiny one.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Found a third party app to sync my Fitbit data (including old stuff) into Google Fit in preparation for Adventure Sync. Let's do this. :getin:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kheldarn posted:

As someone who is not Level 40, I can confirm that the option doesn't show up for non Level 40 trainers.

What’s the best way to sync this with iphones? I’m a huge idiot and don’t understand things.

e: found it by accident! Open your menu via clicking your avatar and you’ll see a whole new section with egg and step stats. Click one of the random icons on it and it’ll ask if you want to enable the background tracking. Surpisingly easy. So now I don’t need to keep the game open for it to track kms?

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Louisgod posted:

So now I don’t need to keep the game open for it to track kms?

That's the idea I believe. From what I understood, it would check Apple Health for your steps/distance it passively collects and apply it to egg/buddy distances.

Hoping it'll also track steps reported by the Apple Watch as well, in case my phone isn't on me for whatever reason. That's going to get me some baller distance for my runs, which I do sans-phone. I don't see why it wouldn't, since the watch just dumps steps into Apple Health, just like the phone does.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So for Androids is the only way to track it via Google Fit? I only use a Fitbit for step tracking and heard that that's not supported.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

So for Androids is the only way to track it via Google Fit? I only use a Fitbit for step tracking and heard that that's not supported.

Check out Fit to Fit on the Play Store for importing your Fitbit data to Google Fit

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Found a third party app to sync my Fitbit data (including old stuff) into Google Fit in preparation for Adventure Sync. Let's do this. :getin:

Is it thought the old stuff will give you distance/step points in PokeGo once it's implemented?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is it thought the old stuff will give you distance/step points in PokeGo once it's implemented?

I doubt it, too easy to abuse I would think? I mostly installed it for future use but decided to be thorough just in case. Someone mentioned getting 78km at once from Adventure Sync and that seemed like it had to be a backlog thing.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It seems like there was a backlog from last Monday on. Now I want to know if it can count my imported Strava activities in Google Fit...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Entropist posted:

It seems like there was a backlog from last Monday on. Now I want to know if it can count my imported Strava activities in Google Fit...

I'm going to import my cycling from before my knee-pocalypse if that's the case.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I just got 20 poke balls from walking 13 km. Hell yeah

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is pretty great. Got about 40 items when it used the info google fit had of me from the last week.

Hail my corporate master google

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Yukari posted:

Can you send NekoSukimin a gift? I'm one off of great friends with you and could time it with a few other people.

I opened my research breakthrough at 1:10 and it was fixed by then. In exchange, I clicked on a random Eevee and got a shiny one.

Done!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Kheldarn posted:

I'm level 35 and I have access to adventure sync. Already got a heap of pokeballs out of it

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Continuing to build my trash collection of Pokemon:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
gently caress this Google fit connectivity is amazing, and well overdue. Walking around for work today and I've racked up another 4km from this morning

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So do you need to have the game running in the background for the sync to record?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
PoGo asked for "Always" location permission after I enabled Adventure Sync.
Not sure whether it's strictly required if it's using the Health data it already has access to.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

put both hands in posted:

I'm level 35 and I have access to adventure sync. Already got a heap of pokeballs out of it

Yeah, they tweeted that it was available to trainers 35+ at 7 PM Eastern.

I'm hoping to be able to copy my steps from my Gear S2 to Fit before they announce it being available to level 25+ trainers…

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

~Coxy posted:

PoGo asked for "Always" location permission after I enabled Adventure Sync.
Not sure whether it's strictly required if it's using the Health data it already has access to.

I figure someone will find out the exact stuff it actually needs and I'll revise the permissions accordingly

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago

Louisgod posted:

So do you need to have the game running in the background for the sync to record?

Nope. It looks like it syncs once per hour with Pogo off.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I’m level 36 and was able to enable it. This is great, I’m a butcher and a bartender so both of my jobs involve me running back and forth all day behind counters. I know for a fact that the iOS app tracks those steps... I’m about to hatch hella eggs!!!!!

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Does it just track steps while your phone is on you or do you need a fitbit or some sort of device like that?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yukari posted:

Does it just track steps while your phone is on you or do you need a fitbit or some sort of device like that?

Uses your phones internal step tracker I think. If it doesn't have one then well too bad.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Psion posted:

I figure someone will find out the exact stuff it actually needs and I'll revise the permissions accordingly

When you do please post.

I'm 32 so no access to it yet but I'm excited and maybe I'll even buy some tracker to keep on me since I don't always have my phone on me.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Somebody link a tutorial on how to set all this Sync stuff up, I cant figure out what I need to do to start cracking eggs and burning the calories from my cottage cheese thighs

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I gave it access to my iOS health app but that app isn't recording anything. No idea how to get it to track steps. My Fitbit does fine on my wrist but maybe my iPhone X doesn't have a pedometer?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

humpthewind posted:

I gave it access to my iOS health app but that app isn't recording anything. No idea how to get it to track steps. My Fitbit does fine on my wrist but maybe my iPhone X doesn't have a pedometer?

How long have you waited so far? I enabled it mid afternoon today, then forgot all about it (while just walking around in my apt) til dinnertime, and it was enough to get 0.3k / 600-something steps, and hatch an egg I was nearly done with. You can check what it's logged by tapping your avatar and scrolling down a bit - should show current egg status, a link to the eggs page, km walked, steps taken, etc.

In my limited experience, stuff that interfaces with HealthKit – like the built in Health app – can lag behind for a bit, especially if said app was only recently relaunched. But it usually backfills the data accurately once it's ran for a few minutes.

Also, how exactly did you 'grant it access'? I had to enter my settings within Pokemon GO and there was a new unchecked option for Adventure Mode or whatever it's called; tapping that prompted me with the 'grant access?' popup.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
from what I understand Go will ping your Fit/Healthkit data once an hour, and of course you have to enable Adventure Sync in the game and then you have to give it permission to read your Google Fit/Apple Healthkit data at the OS level. It should prompt you for this at the same time as enabling sync.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mustached Demon posted:

Uses your phones internal step tracker I think. If it doesn't have one then well too bad.

I don't think PoGo is supported on any phones that old anyway.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

tangy yet delightful posted:

:siren: From Discord I'm hearing reports of Moltres for the field (edit) research instead of Shedinja. So maybe don't turn in your last task unless you want a Moltres.

edit2: appears to be fixed now

How? How the eff do they keep doing poo poo like this?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wheany posted:

How? How the eff do they keep doing poo poo like this?

In a week we’ll all wish we were so lucky.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Well I got a shiny caterpie on literally the first one I encountered since this event started. I never normally have this kind of luck.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Just snagged a 98 IV Spiritomb, which was nice.

I keep having a weird issue that I've been unable to find anything about though - whenever I catch a non wild pokemon (from a raid, or reward from research etc), the next time I catch a pokemon the 'ok' button on the screen afterwards doesn't work, I have to force close the app and reopen to get past that screen. I don't seem to lose anything but it's pretty frustrating.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

put both hands in posted:

This is great. Not really complaining, but it essentially kills the Apple Watch app. The only reason to run the Apple Watch app was getting steps.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm curious how it's gonna work when I flip back and forth between accounts

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

bitprophet posted:

How long have you waited so far? I enabled it mid afternoon today, then forgot all about it (while just walking around in my apt) til dinnertime, and it was enough to get 0.3k / 600-something steps, and hatch an egg I was nearly done with. You can check what it's logged by tapping your avatar and scrolling down a bit - should show current egg status, a link to the eggs page, km walked, steps taken, etc.

In my limited experience, stuff that interfaces with HealthKit – like the built in Health app – can lag behind for a bit, especially if said app was only recently relaunched. But it usually backfills the data accurately once it's ran for a few minutes.

Also, how exactly did you 'grant it access'? I had to enter my settings within Pokemon GO and there was a new unchecked option for Adventure Mode or whatever it's called; tapping that prompted me with the 'grant access?' popup.

Thank you for the reply but I found the issue. You need to enable "fitness tracking" in privacy settings at the operating system level. I had turned it off previously since I never needed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I have a google Pixel, is there something I need to enable on the OS for this to work? I don't normally track my steps, and I was unaware if it's doing it in the background or not.