Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Here comes the long dick of the IRS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep. The IRS and USPS are not to be hosed with under any circumstances, because they are the epitome of hideously efficient bureaucracy when it comes to striking down offenders.

DHS, BATFE, and the FBI wish they were that good. There's a reason that most of the mobsters get nailed on RICO starting with tax fraud.

A good example of this in fiction is Tony Soprano freaking the gently caress out in one of the later seasons when the company he "works" for is getting sold.

"I NEED THAT W-2"!!!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm not even drinking anything and practically did a spit take at the 1099, 1563 transactions holy poo poo

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This is such a great post and that's why I lurk the forum. Wish you'd put up an Ask/Tell thread if you haven't already.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Every company needs a $2,000 show cat because it demonstrates the success of the company and the value of its services. People can totally tell the difference between a $5 shelter cat and one from a storied lineage so don't skimp.

If they did call the cops on him about the cat, it would be considered grand theft and he'd be faced with a felony and still have his show cat stuffed. They must have had it fixed or something, which is BWM itself with a $2,000 cat, if the most lucrative option is to turn it into a creepy house decoration.

Wouldn't they also owe him boarding fees for maintaining this "asset?" Market rate for boarding that cat is probably close to the total value by now.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:bitcoin:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You're not owed for doing something you said you'd do for free. The dumb cat is an asset though, so either they need to come up with a reasonable compensation (which can be way less than $2k) or sell it. Killing pets for meat and hide is illegal in Nevada so that is not an option and he can legally keep it away from that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Buttcoins sure were a perfect storm of low barriers to entry + complex financial transactions + mania. I'm sure there are day traders who've made these same mistakes swapping stocks, but holy poo poo Reddit see's a lot of people who poured profit into loss before they paid any taxes.

I can't even imagine the complex emotions I'd be feeling if I turned $5k into $875k into -$400k.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what kind of tax code manages to synthesize an effective 45%+ capital gains tax within a year though? i mean, he's quite screwed either way, but this is not the kind of number i'd expect to be possible

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what kind of tax code manages to synthesize an effective 45%+ capital gains tax within a year though? i mean, he's quite screwed either way, but this is not the kind of number i'd expect to be possible

That is the state and federal tax rate for people who make $880,000 a year day trading currencies in California. The big booboo he made was losing all his money BEFORE filing and paying his taxes for 2017.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

That is the state and federal tax rate for people who make $880,000 a year day trading currencies in California. The big booboo he made was losing all his money BEFORE filing and paying his taxes for 2017.

The crash was so perfectly timed to turbofuck anybody trading coins, but not cashing out, at the height of the bubble. I love it

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Crypto-for-crypto exchanges, like stock-for-stock exchanges, trigger a taxable event (as they should); short-term capital gains are taxed at ordinary income rates; and in CA he's got a decent amount of state tax due on top of his federal. That said, I don't really know how his math adds up - his 1099-K shows gross transactions of less than $600k, and I don't know how he's getting realized gains of more than that unless he's got other trading activity off of Coinbase that he's not talking about. His situation sucks and it's a bitch that he can't carry back more of his 2018 losses to offset, but also I've got five bucks that says he's not telling the complete story.

EDIT: Why the hell is dude waiting till November to worry about this, that's dumb but better late than never, maybe he's finally starting to pull his head from...

quote:

Today my portfolio sits at $125k

Jesus christ, liquidate it already, what are you waiting for you idiot

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 2, 2018

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So if I'm understanding correctly, he bought cryptocurrency at around 5k in 2017, which by the end of 2017 was valued at 880k.

Because he was an active trader (ie: he didn't just by and hold), those 875k are considered realized gains thus subject to income tax?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Wasn't the whole deal with Bitcoin is that it's untraceable and anonymous? If you can't even evade taxes with it then what was even the point.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, he bought cryptocurrency at around 5k in 2017, which by the end of 2017 was valued at 880k.

Because he was an active trader (ie: he didn't just by and hold), those 875k are considered realized gains thus subject to income tax?

He'd only realize a gain each time he sold or traded on the way to 880k, but he wouldn't have realized a gain on the entire 880k yet unless he sold at 880k. I don't know how he could recognize a gain of 880k without actually selling or exchanging 880k worth of tokens at some point, and (if the Coinbase 1099k says what I think it says), he only sold/exchanged 592k worth of tokens on Coinbase.

Example: If he bought BTC at $5k, then traded that for ETH when it was worth $500k, then held onto the ETH through year end at which point it was valued at $880k, he'd only have realized gains of $495k at that point and would only owe tax on that amount. If I understand Coinbase's approach right, then Coinbase would issue a 1099-K showing activity worth $500k. (I'm a bit surprised by that 1099-K, I didn't know 1099-Ks required you to show noncash transactions with an equivalent cash value, but either that's what Coinbase is doing or OP is lying about all of his gains being realized through direct exchanges rather than sales.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Wasn't the whole deal with Bitcoin is that it's untraceable and anonymous? If you can't even evade taxes with it then what was even the point.

a convenient misconception for LEO. It also has CP in the blockchain.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Cash is untraceable and anonymous and you are still required to report cash transactions. Bitcoin pseudoanonymous at best. All bitcoin transactions are part of a public, permanent ledger. Its the opposite of untraceable.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

One of the dozens of lies piled on to get people to invest and build the hype bubble. It's pseudononymous at best if you do everything perfectly, which, since you are human, you will not

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Wasn't the whole deal with Bitcoin is that it's untraceable and anonymous?
No, the idea was that it's decentralised - i.e. no one country or banking system would have control over it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
the idea for a lot of people was that it let you buy drugs and other illegal stuff "anonymously."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Bitcoin is whatever you want it to be.

Except money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bitcoin is whatever you want it to be.

Except money.

Which is the problem. It's a risky investment masquerading as currency.

Someone else pointed out a while back that currency loses value over time, which compels you to spend or invest it before it's worthless. Buttcoins can't be currency because their whole point in life is to appreciate. Using Buttcoins to buy stuff is the equivalent of using savings bonds to buy stuff and just as awkward.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ah, that is actually pretty progressive taxation right there, good on the US (well, and california) getting that one right.

I sort of assumed some 15% rate hadn't been properly calculated across all trades.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Which is the problem. It's a risky investment masquerading as currency.

Someone else pointed out a while back that currency loses value over time,

That is not a requirement of currency. Deflationary currencies can exist. See Germany during the 80s.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

On the subject of thinking it a good idea to mess with the IRS:

quote:

The owner of a Kirkland interior design business was recently convicted of 25 counts for a nearly 20-year scheme to avoid paying more than $560,000 in income taxes.

Daniel Nix, 58, will face his sentencing hearing on Nov. 9 following a four-day trial and a day of jury deliberation that found him guilty of 13 counts of tax evasion, 11 counts of providing fictitious financial obligations and one count of corrupt interference with the administration of the Internal Revenue Code.

quote:

“Nix enjoyed a lavish lifestyle with the proceeds of his crime,” Hayes wrote in a press release. “He owns a Kirkland home assessed for more than $1 million. He bought and owned at least 16 luxury vehicles over the years, including a Porsche, a Jaguar, a BMW, a Ford F-150, multiple Mercedes-Benz, Harley Davidsons, and other imported motorcycles.”

Tax evasion is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Presentation of fictitious financial instruments is punishable by up to 25 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Attempts to interfere with the administration of the tax code is punishable by up to three years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

quote:

Nix operated Dannix Design, a medical office interior design firm. According to the release, Nix refused to pay taxes on $3.9 million in gross income and $1.9 million in net profit as early as 1998 and from 2000-13. Nix hid his income and assets by setting up shell companies, filing bankruptcy claims and filing false claims against the government.

Additionally, Nix transferred assets into sham religious entities that he had set up between 2010 and 2013, frustrating IRS efforts to put liens on his assets, according to the indictments.

In February 2013, Nix sent 11 fake money orders to the IRS, totaling more than $1 million, in an attempt to fake his tax obligations.

Did he think the IRS wouldn't try to cash the money orders? Why would he keep sending them? I like the use of sham religious entities, always a classic.

quote:

Hayes added in a press release that Nix, on several occasions, harassed IRS and Department of Revenue agents, filing fraudulent liens against them. He also called other unrelated individuals who were subject to IRS liens and falsely claimed the liens filed by the government were invalid.

The case was investigated by the Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI).

He harassed IRS employees? I doubt this will ever end for him, even after he gets out.

His sentencing is scheduled for Nov. 9th, gonna have to check how hard they land on him.

http://www.kirklandreporter.com/news/kirkland-man-convicted-for-20-year-tax-evasion-scheme/

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On the subject of thinking it a good idea to mess with the IRS:

Did he think the IRS wouldn't try to cash the money orders? Why would he keep sending them? I like the use of sham religious entities, always a classic.

He harassed IRS employees? I doubt this will ever end for him, even after he gets out.

His sentencing is scheduled for Nov. 9th, gonna have to check how hard they land on him.

http://www.kirklandreporter.com/news/kirkland-man-convicted-for-20-year-tax-evasion-scheme/

Sending fake money orders alone would be more prison time than whatever tax fraud he committed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

That is not a requirement of currency. Deflationary currencies can exist. See Germany during the 80s.

Deflation is almost always bad though.

It's not a feature of currencies necessarily, but it's a happy bug that usually has positive affects on the economy. If we lived in a Buttcoin world where money appreciated or had wild swings we'd just keep all our coins in our butts and barter - making our crypto-currency ineffective as a standard unit of wealth.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

OctaviusBeaver posted:

As others have said, it's basically pseudonymous and perfectly traceable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Over a long enough timescale, all currency is deflationary. :smug:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I still find it hosed up an F150 is a luxury vehicle.

I don't really follow bitcoin etc. The problem with all these crypto currencies and their universal flaw from my perspective, is it really isn't a currency. They all seem a hell of a lot more like a commodity and investing heavily into it is the millennial version of baby boomers and older just buying lots of gold and silver because cash is ~fiat~ money.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 2, 2018

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Jack2142 posted:

I still find it hosed up an F150 is a luxury vehicle.

It can be. What surprised me a lot about cars is how wide the price range can be depending on trims for some models. The F-150 starts at $28k and can be optioned up to the Limited trim which is $67k before options. https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 2, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Or the perpetual favorite of oil and construction BWM, the Ford Raptor.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Why aren't things in the base truck like a more powerful engine than you need, the bigger size, the bed, etc luxury options?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

totalnewbie posted:

Why aren't things in the base truck like a more powerful engine than you need, the bigger size, the bed, etc luxury options?

Not sure I understand your question. You can add some options to the base truck, but the way it usually works in the car biz is there are some things you can only get by going up to the next trim level. You can see those in the 'build&price' configurator thing if you're curious.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

yes and since his loses came in 2018, and you can't carry them back to 2017, they will mostly expire useless. It is the most spectacular destruction of lives the IRS has ever accomplished.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Live by the buttcoin, die by the buttcoin

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Deflation is almost always bad though.

It's not a feature of currencies necessarily, but it's a happy bug that usually has positive affects on the economy. If we lived in a Buttcoin world where money appreciated or had wild swings we'd just keep all our coins in our butts and barter - making our crypto-currency ineffective as a standard unit of wealth.

It's probably a feature of industrializing economies and historically most currencies and interest rates have been extremely stable over long periods of time. For example if you review the writings of French and English authors from approximately 1600-1850, exchange rates, purchasing power, and land rents are almost completely unchanged across that time period and geography. In fact it was completely understood that the yield of government bonds or rent of land or property was approximately 5% per year and describing a person's passive income was completely interchangeable with describing their wealth.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Buying a mega-yacht is BWM because of poor resale value and low steel content for scrap.

quote:

Customers bought nearly 300 superyachts so far this year through mid-October, up from a total of 249 vessels for all of 2017... The combined retail value of superyachts sold last year was 2.6 billion euros ($2.9 billion), a 21 percent increase from 2016, according to the Superyacht Intelligence Agency.

That’s a dramatic turnaround for an industry that saw orders plunge as much as 90 percent and prices cut in half following the 2008 financial crisis. Those were dark days in the superyacht world. Even if would-be buyers had the wherewithal to spend upward of $100 million on a fully staffed boat with a helipad, infinity pool and leather floors, such extravagant displays of wealth were out of step with the uncertain times. After the crisis, the number of shipyards building superyachts dropped by half as the pool of buyers also shrank.

Bloomberg isn't afraid to use the term "dark days in the superyacht world" to describe the impact of the 2008 recession.

quote:

At the end of their life cycles, commercial ships can be sold for scrap and recycled. Superyachts don’t have much steel in their hulls, so the scrap value is negligible.

“In the superyacht market, there’s not much precedent of what happens at the end of life,” said Sam Tucker, head of superyachts at VesselsValue. Ships can keep circulating in the secondhand market for years. VesselsValue’s database tracks 6,245 superyachts with a total value of $77.3 billion, the oldest of which dates to 1880. At an advanced age, Tucker said, depreciation curves fail to accurately reflect the market and a yacht may be valued more like a classic car.

A boat’s age can exacerbate a superyacht’s already-onerous operating costs. Between crew salaries, fuel, dockage and maintenance fees, shipowners can expect to pay the equivalent of 10 percent of a superyacht’s value every year in upkeep. And unlike most billionaire trophy assets, superyachts are neither practical (like corporate jets, which outnumber superyachts more than two to one) nor sound investments. In fact, you’re almost guaranteed to lose money on resale.

“It is extremely rare to see a vessel appreciate,” Tucker said. The 57-meter yacht Lady Sara had an asking price of $43.9 million when it went up for sale in 2015. It came to market again in September with an asking price of $36 million.

Hi, I'm Sam Tucker, head of superyachts.

quote:

Finishings and special features on these vessels include personal submarines, bomb-proof windows, seaplanes and concert halls. British finance billionaire Joe Lewis uses his 98-meter yacht, Aviva, as a place to display his $70 million Francis Bacon painting.

Wikipedia says Paul Allen's yacht has two submarines.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-superyachts/?srnd=premium

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Paul Allen’s boat is more of a luxury research vessel than a yacht though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

It's probably a feature of industrializing economies and historically most currencies and interest rates have been extremely stable over long periods of time. For example if you review the writings of French and English authors from approximately 1600-1850, exchange rates, purchasing power, and land rents are almost completely unchanged across that time period and geography. In fact it was completely understood that the yield of government bonds or rent of land or property was approximately 5% per year and describing a person's passive income was completely interchangeable with describing their wealth.

Wasn't bartering a factor in that? If something costs 2 chickens in 1200 AD it probably cost 2 chickens in 1300 AD. Productivity gains were not great back then so generations of people would be producing and consuming at approximately the same volume regardless of the year.

Fast forward to 2018 and I'm shitposting at a rate 2008 me could only dream of and that productivity allows me to consume more stretching supply and causing inflation.