Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

so how's the jump from 1070 to 11702070s? I'm running a 2500k and 970 atm and am looking to upgrade in the next half year or so.

The 20-series shuffle everything down one performance number, so the 2070 performs like a 1080 at present. So, ~30% faster, which is a fairly marginal upgrade as they go.

It's also overpriced at the moment vs the 1080, it needs to drop about $100 before it's competitive. And that's new vs new, if you hit the used market you can get a 1080 for ~$350.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Fan control question for the experts in here:

My motherboard has a single 4 pin header for case fans. I would like to run 3x case fans, all Be Quiet Silent Wings 3. Can anyone detail what splitters/cables I would need to get? It seems like what I would want is a cable to take the controls from the header, but be able to pull in power from a molex line from the PSU. Does this exist?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

emocrat posted:

My motherboard has a single 4 pin header for case fans. I would like to run 3x case fans, all Be Quiet Silent Wings 3. Can anyone detail what splitters/cables I would need to get? It seems like what I would want is a cable to take the controls from the header, but be able to pull in power from a molex line from the PSU. Does this exist?

You don't need anything like that assuming you want them all at the same speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Computer-Extension-Converter-TeamProfitcom/dp/B07F8LV1BY

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

emocrat posted:

That's a shameful motherboard. Does the manual say what the header is rated for in terms of current? Usually on decent motherboards it's like at least 1A, and in that case you can just run all three fans directly off of the header using splitters. If it doesn't say or if you don't trust the motherboard, you probably want a fan hub - some cases come with one, but you can also buy them separately. A quick googling turned up this one which does what you want for $15.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Cool. I guess I was thinking if the header was built for 1 and I am using 3x the power it could have issues. If that is not the case then this is super easy. Thanks.

edit:

TheFluff posted:

That's a shameful motherboard. Does the manual say what the header is rated for in terms of current? Usually on decent motherboards it's like at least 1A, and in that case you can just run all three fans directly off of the header using Y-splitters. If it doesn't say or if you don't trust the motherboard, you probably want a fan hub - some cases come with one, but you can also buy them separately. A quick googling turned up this one which does what you want for $15.

Its a mini ITX, so is what it is. It is rated at 1A. So, I guess a standard splitter cable is the way to go, thanks.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've never seen a splitter cause issues, but I assume it's possible.
You can google [motherboard] plus PWM splitter and see if people report issues.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey has me thinking about pulling the trigger on a CPU upgrade earlier than I had planned. My original plan was to hold out til early 2019, when either Intel 9th gen prices/stock levels settle down, and/or we get the performance numbers on Zen 2. However, Odyssey is really doing a number on my CPU - specifically, I spend 95% of my time playing the game via streaming to my 4K living room TV via my Nvidia Shield TV over gigabit ethernet. Most of the encoding at my PC is done by the GPU, but as far as I can tell it still consumes an extra 5% of CPU resources during streaming. Which is a problem since Odyssey is often hitting 95-100% CPU usage during the game. In my 20 hours of playing so far, I’ve had probably a couple dozen instances of the stream getting severely stuttery, and a half dozen instances of the stream crashing completely. Other, less demanding games don’t have the same problem, which makes me think it’s my CPU.
Here’s my current system:
i7 6700K @ 4.5 GHz, on a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 motherboard
32GB 3200 MHz G.Skill RAM
EVGA 1080 Ti
2x Samsung SATA SSDs
Gaming is the primary use for the system, at 4K 60 Hz.

Here’s what I’m considering:
Ryzen 2700X and Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 motherboard, ~$540 on Amazon
Intel i7 8700K and Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, ~$610 on Amazon
Intel i7 9700K and Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra, ~$650 on Amazon (and 9700K currently out of stock)
I was also tempted by the 9900K until I saw the pricing on it, combined with the fact that even my Noctua D15 cooler would have trouble managing its thermals.

As I see it, here’s the take for each:
Ryzen: by far the best value option, and though the FPS numbers aren’t as good as the Intel chips, the fact that I game at 4K/60 would render this more of a moot point. The 8C/16T design would presumably leave a lot of headroom for streaming to the Shield TV. And AMD’s stated support of AM4 through 2020 means I could upgrade to the Ryzen 3000/4000 series with minimal fuss if they do have a substantial performance jump (but if I’m planning to go that route, arguably I should consider a 2600X instead).

Intel: per benchmarks, the best gaming CPUs - which is the primary use for the PC. That said, it’s expensive, especially if going for the 9700K (and forget the 9900K) - and the 8700K seems more overpriced than usual now that its successor is out. Also given the rapid move to 8 cores, I’m unsure how well the 6C/12T design of the 8700K would fare long term.

Anyway, any thoughts? I haven’t fully committed to pulling the trigger yet, since the smart money still says wait until early 2019. That said, it’s hard to resist the upgrade itch when your current system’s failings are right in front of you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This doesn't seem like a good upgrade. Your system, with that good OC is faster than a 2700x per core and in a quad core situation as well. Crashing means you have a stability problem. Check your cooling and perhaps back off on your overclock a little bit. Maybe give the CPU more voltage.

This is not a good move. If you just want a new CPU, then I agree the 2600x and upgrading later is a better idea.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3502vs3958

If it turns out you have a bad motherboard or processor or power supply then there is money to spend. You should take this to tech support. Have you tried a steam beta? Updated drivers? Researched any crash reports?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The thing is, the instability is only in the Nvidia gamestreaming part (I.e., it doesn’t happen when I play locally on my PC - and when the stream does crash while I’m gaming on my TV, the game itself is still running on my PC in my office).
And yeah, the Ryzen chips would be a lateral move when it comes to single-core speed. I’m just feeling like the 4C/8T i7 I have currently is getting tapped out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Space Racist posted:

The thing is, the instability is only in the Nvidia gamestreaming part (I.e., it doesn’t happen when I play locally on my PC - and when the stream does crash while I’m gaming on my TV, the game itself is still running on my PC in my office).
And yeah, the Ryzen chips would be a lateral move when it comes to single-core speed. I’m just feeling like the 4C/8T i7 I have currently is getting tapped out.

As someone who has a Ryzen 7 2700x after upgrading from a 4th gen Intel part, upgrading from a 6th gen i7 to a Ryzen 7 2700x would be at best a lateral move in IPC, and probably a downward move in performance to be honest, as Ryzen processors are EXTREMELY sensitive to what RAM you use (you actually have to read the QVL and buy exactly the PNs specified or you will set yourself up for endless RAM misery).

I spent a solid week chasing a memory issue in my new Ryzen build because I thought I was super smart and bought the wrong ram (Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz) that apparently had Hynix garbage dies instead of Samsung B-die, and I couldn't even get the memory up to the stated on the box clocks, because it would BSOD above 2666mhz.

Your actual problem is probably more related to problems with Nvidia drivers. Have you done a clean uninstall of all Nvidia software and drivers, run a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller and then installed a fresh set of drivers from Nvidia's website?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I disagree with the vehemence that you believe AMD ram choice to be so finicky. It does pay to do your research, but, especially with Ryzen 2000 you should get reasonable performance from most ram.

Not trying to say you are wrong, again.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Danakir posted:

Yeah, I tested A1/B1 and A2/B2 and both of them worked for booting but still ran at 2400 hz and still hardware reserved half of it. Meanwhile, one stick of ram boots in all four slots while the other one boots in none of them.

So I think that rules out a bad DIMM slot?

Yeah, sure sounds like a bad stick to me. Sticks in packaged RAM bundles are supposed to be essentially identical, there's not a primary and secondary or anything like that.

When RMAing you'll want to get replacements for the 2 stick RAM package, not just the one faulty stick. Manufacturers don't technically guarantee that sticks from different batches are compatible. In practice you're fine to mix and match 99.9% of the time, but since the manufacturers constantly tell you that you must use sticks from the same pack they can eat the cost.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

I disagree with the vehemence that you believe AMD ram choice to be so finicky. It does pay to do your research, but, especially with Ryzen 2000 you should get reasonable performance from most ram.

Not trying to say you are wrong, again.

Nah that's fair, I went outside the QVL and got slapped for it. I had to go back, and buy RAM that was actually on the QVL and had the timings I wanted in order to get a decent speed. There are however a lot of posts on various hardware forums about how Hynix ram in particular, which is common in some cheaper lines of DDR4, does not play nice with Ryzen.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, sure sounds like a bad stick to me. Sticks in packaged RAM bundles are supposed to be essentially identical, there's not a primary and secondary or anything like that.

When RMAing you'll want to get replacements for the 2 stick RAM package, not just the one faulty stick. Manufacturers don't technically guarantee that sticks from different batches are compatible. In practice you're fine to mix and match 99.9% of the time, but since the manufacturers constantly tell you that you must use sticks from the same pack they can eat the cost.

Yeah, that's what I did. I sent both sticks in the original packaging back to Newegg for a replacement since it's been less than 30 days. Hopefully I hear back from them soon and can put this whole thing behind me. Fingers crossed. :pray:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm planning to replace my i7-4790 with an i7-9700K and could use some mainboard&cooler recommendations. Rig is mostly for gaming, surfing and text creation. I plan to keep using my 1080Ti until the next generation, therefore no SLI and I will replace my Sata SSDs with m.2 SSDs - so I need at least 2x m.2. I also want to keep using my Soundblaster Z instead of the onboard sound. No need for wi-fi or any RGB fanciness, no water cooling and no overclocking planned. I would prefer an Asus board, since I had never fail one on me, but I'm open to suggestions. Form factor is ATX.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You should buy a Ryzen 2600X instead and put a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, or a Noctua (whatever the 60 dollar option is). You should go with an ATX motherboard...

You want multiple SSD's? Pay the now slight NVME tax? 1 Terabyte each is ~$200 dollars right now. Budget? Do you have a crazy person's (50+) worth of tabs open all the time?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

LRADIKAL posted:

You should buy a Ryzen 2600X instead and put a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, or a Noctua (whatever the 60 dollar option is). You should go with an ATX motherboard...

You want multiple SSD's? Pay the now slight NVME tax? 1 Terabyte each is ~$200 dollars right now. Budget? Do you have a crazy person's (50+) worth of tabs open all the time?

I was planning on a bigger upgrade than just a 2600X, mostly because I want to take the leap from 1440p to 4K once the next gen of graphics cards comes out next year (or whenever someone will offer an affordable G-sync monitor with HDR). It's just the mainboard and cooler I'm not 100% sure of. Budget is €200-350 for the mainboard and around €60 for the cooler.

The m.2s will probably be 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO, although the new Corsair MP510 looks interesting, and Corsair gives 5 years of warranty on those.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

orange juche posted:

As someone who has a Ryzen 7 2700x after upgrading from a 4th gen Intel part, upgrading from a 6th gen i7 to a Ryzen 7 2700x would be at best a lateral move in IPC, and probably a downward move in performance to be honest, as Ryzen processors are EXTREMELY sensitive to what RAM you use (you actually have to read the QVL and buy exactly the PNs specified or you will set yourself up for endless RAM misery).

I spent a solid week chasing a memory issue in my new Ryzen build because I thought I was super smart and bought the wrong ram (Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz) that apparently had Hynix garbage dies instead of Samsung B-die, and I couldn't even get the memory up to the stated on the box clocks, because it would BSOD above 2666mhz.

I have a Ryzen 2600x, my RAM (2x 8GB Vengeance Pro RGB 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 so probably same as you?) has Hynix chips and is not on the QVL list for my motherboard (Msi B450 gaming pro carbon), and everything still worked flawlessly out of the box once I enabled the XMP profile in the BIOS. It's been a month now, and zero crashes or BSOD's ... :shrug:

Not denying your problems of course, just saying I think motherboard quality might have more to do with this kind of problem than the CPU, at least when we're talking about 2XXX Ryzens. Of course if you have money to waste just get some 300€ RAM sticks with Samsung dies and high-end 300€ motherboards and I bet you won't have any problems...

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Ok, I am about ready to pull the trigger on the rest of this build and I am looking for a sanity check before I do. I will probably be ordering everything except the GPU, as I am might wait for sales on that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($66.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($181.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $63.06)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $113.99)
Other: SilverStone Technology Universal ATX to SFX Power Supply Bracket RL-PP08B (Purchased For $10.80)
Other: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW ULTRA SILENT GAMING, 8GB GDDR5, ACX 3.0 & RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6678-KR ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Other: TeamProfitcom PWM Fan Splitter Adapter Cable Sleeved Braided Y Splitter Computer PC 4 Pin Fan Extension Power Cable 1 to 3 Converter 10 inches (2 Pack) ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Be Quiet! SilentWings 3 140mm PWM ($22.40 @ Amazon)
Total: $1504.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-01 09:38 EDT-0400

Anything to change?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I might be missing something, but a Define Nano S has two PCIE slots and a EVGA 1070 TI FTW is a 2.5 slot card. I suppose you could take a dremel to the 3-slot GPU slot cover.

There seems to be some question whether the Dark Rock 4 (159.4mm high) actually fits in the 160mm clearance promised by the Nano S. This is certainly cutting it close, if there ever was one.

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 1, 2018

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Good catch on the Video Card, I will have to re-evaluate that. Appreciate it. I have seen pics of the Nano S with a dark rock 4 in it, so I am gonna try it, i believe it should technically fit. We will see.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Make sure you get a picture of it with the side panel on as well, since apparently the windowless case has slightly more clearance.

(or you could get the windowless one)

Motherboards also vary in thickness slightly, and since we're talking <1mm here it might matter.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 1, 2018

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
For that ITX case, you may want to consider a blower card instead of an open fan design. There was a Bitwit video on the subject from a while back:
https://youtu.be/wiDZNT7mxLQ

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hammerstein posted:

I was planning on a bigger upgrade than just a 2600X, mostly because I want to take the leap from 1440p to 4K once the next gen of graphics cards comes out next year (or whenever someone will offer an affordable G-sync monitor with HDR). It's just the mainboard and cooler I'm not 100% sure of. Budget is €200-350 for the mainboard and around €60 for the cooler.

The only new cards coming out next year are AMD. Nvidia is barely making a dent in their 10xx series inventory and the 20xx is a bit of a damp fart, so there's close to no chance of anything significant from Nvidia next year. I guess there's a chance that 7nm vega will turn out to be competitive and Nvidia will pull an intel and shove some half baked update out the door in a panic, but both scenarios are iffy at best.

The 9700k is also in a weird place. It's a soldered 8700K with no hyperthreading, a huge price premium and low availability. If you're willing to take the risk, it makes way more sense to delid an 8700k at this point, though it still might not be as good a choice as holding out for Zen 2.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Space Racist posted:

For that ITX case, you may want to consider a blower card instead of an open fan design. There was a Bitwit video on the subject from a while back:
https://youtu.be/wiDZNT7mxLQ

Thanks, it was suggested to me by other Nano S owners in the SFF thread that I use a SFX PSU and adapter, for this exact reason. That significantly enlarges the gap between the PSU and GPU, and I have opted to go this route. That said, I will keep your suggestion in mind.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

emocrat posted:

Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $63.06)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $113.99)

Anything to change?

pcpartpicker says these are incompatible, because the power supply is SFX and the case is built to accept ATX shorter than 160mm. The good news is you can get an EVGA power supply that will fit with a 12 year warranty for 40 bucks cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Looks like newegg's ebay shop has gigabyte windforce 2070s in stock with a 10% promo running again. Thinking about snagging one for $450, but I might hold out for black friday deals...

edit: bah, I don't qualify for the offer. Black friday it is.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 1, 2018

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm using an i5-4590 in a rig I built about 2 years ago (based off the OP back then).

I noticed the OP recommends a new model for their suggested builds. Am I gonna start seeing bottlenecking in some of my games?

I have a GTX980 that I was going to upgrade to a 2070 or 1080, but now I'm wondering if maybe I won't see much improvement cause of my CPU speeds.

quote:

Off the top of my head, games that can be CPU-bottlenecked include StarCraft 2, Planetside 2, WoW, ARMA, Kerbal Space Program, and unoptimized crap-piles like Watch_Dogs and Dwarf Fortress. MMOs and open-world, generally. If you play a lot of these, you may need to look at CPU performance come upgrade time.

Do those battle royale games fall in this category? Since they draw in every direction pretty far? Specifically I've been playing Black Ops.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Graphics card is a bigger deal. However you didn't tell us about your display, memory, or performance issues you have encountered.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

LRADIKAL posted:

Graphics card is a bigger deal. However you didn't tell us about your display, memory, or performance issues you have encountered.

Yeah I realized that, sorry. It was sort of a thinking-out-loud question that I hammered away right before leaving for work.

I have 16gb ram (DDR3 1600) and running games at 1440p on 27" gsync.

Ultimately the two most notable issues were Survios VR titles (the rest run pretty ok) and Black Ops 4. Black Ops 4 was the first time I had a game that I had to drop things to low settings in order to make it playable.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The CPU you have is kind of slow...

Are you having trouble hitting 90fps in VR? Are you getting under 60fps in 1440p gaming? Does it bother you?

A graphics card will definitely be a bigger difference, though your current one you should be able to hit over 60fps in about anything even with that processor bottlenecking you. Does Black Ops 4 really run that poorly? Have you researched if that's normal?

Maybe it's time for a fresh install of windows, a system dust out, possibly re-pasting stuff.

Your system is getting to the point where it's time to update the motherboard/ram/processor, so that'll be a big deal. The 980 is getting a little long in the tooth as well. Tough times!

RAM prices have been dropping, and SSD prices have really been dropping. AMD's a good value, but depending on your budget a high end Intel will get you to those 120+fps ranges more frequently. Used 10XX series Nvidia cards are becoming pretty prolific. It's not the worst time to build a whole new computer, or to do graphics card now and system later or vice versa.

We can do builds and part suggestions with at least the information below.

Budget:
Primary Use:
List of current components and their ages:

edit: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4590-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/2604vs619 They perform almost exactly the same, except you can overclock 13% higher! Whew! Intel was stagnating for a long time.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 2, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Space Racist posted:

Just curious - did you try giving the streaming process a higher priority?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

heat posted:

pcpartpicker says these are incompatible, because the power supply is SFX and the case is built to accept ATX shorter than 160mm. The good news is you can get an EVGA power supply that will fit with a 12 year warranty for 40 bucks cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650.

For what it's worth, you can get an adapter bracket SFX->ATX for like 10$. That's what I did, worked like a charm.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

My RAM is currently kind of a mess. I have 4 sticks of 4GB RAM. Two of them are some random bullshit pieces of 4GB RAM and the other two are somewhat newer HyperX DDR3 1600MHz. This isn't working out too well so I'm gonna get some new RAM. I know I'm getting rid of the two old RAM sticks for sure, but should I toss the 4GB HyperX sticks entirely and get two 8GB sticks of something considerably better, or should I just pick up 2 more of those same HyperX 4GB sticks and have 4 of them in total? I'm aware the OP says you should get at least DDR4 and so on, but it would be considerably cheaper to just get 2 more sticks of the worse kind of RAM so I'm wondering how big the difference would actually be.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well an upgrade to DDR4 is gonna mean new mobo+cpu as well. How old are those components?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

codo27 posted:

Well an upgrade to DDR4 is gonna mean new mobo+cpu as well. How old are those components?

Oh yeah, forgot about that. My motherboard is a pretty old P67A-G45, so yeah, it can't support DDR4. It apparently can't support the full speed of my current RAM sticks either, yikes. I think I might as well drop some real money and get both a new motherboard and new RAM since I'll have to do that eventually. My CPU is an overclocked i5-2500k that's still holding out fine, so it'd be great if I could still hold onto that

edit: Okay so it turns out there isn't a motherboard that would be compatible with both my CPU and DDR4, so either I drop like 450 euros to upgrade a bunch of poo poo to get my RAM to DDR4 or I drop 70 euros and get more lovely DDR3 RAM that runs at 1333MHz. Feels kind of a bad deal either way to be honest

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 2, 2018

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Hello, megathread!

Important info:
What country are you in? The US
What are you using the system for? Vidjagames
What's your budget? I'd like to keep it around $500 or $600, but my absolute limit I'd say is $750.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Primary screen is 1080p, with an old 1280x1024 as my secondary.

I put my gaming computer together six or seven years ago now, and I'm not exactly unhappy with it (especially because I upgraded my videocard to a GTX 1070 when my old one kindly decided to burn out just before prices spiked) . But I am now seriously considering an upgrade to my CPU and RAM, and that entails a new motherboard. I was hoping someone could tell me when/where to look for good deals on hardware, even if it's last gen stuff that's still better than what I've got.

Current relevant specs are below:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K running at 3.4 GHz Benchmark link here
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866

Secondly, I am also toying with the idea of a new case for my computer. You can look at my current case over here While the case is younger than the computer at the moment, it's not my favorite computer case I've ever worked with. It works fine, I guess. Is there really a point to fixing what isn't broke here?

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 2, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's you're targeted refresh rate?

E: OC your CPU also, before you decide your unhappy with it.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 2, 2018

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

ItBreathes posted:

What's you're targeted refresh rate?

E: OC your CPU also, before you decide your unhappy with it.

60 Hz monitor.

I'm running stock cooling, and I'd rather avoid overclocking because I'm a bit of a scaredy cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Buy an awesome cooler, it's a reusable component, especially an air cooler.