Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

wait do people actually use microsoft dynamics

you may wish they didn't, but some of them do

i didn't say dynamics was good, just that it wasn't dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know my last employer ended up on dynamics but they’re so huge I imagine they’re not paying much if anything for it, it was probably more of a bribe to keep them away from salesforce

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the entire windows "thing" is a legacy business. the trick is to spend as little money as possible, without directly undermining the revenue sources

azure, ms sql, and to a lesser extent, the verticals (axapta, great plains, etc) are businesses with a future

windows is a joke

this makes sense but let's remember that microsoft has more money than sense.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

sharepoint

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

sharepoint

:bisonyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more like shartpoint

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i once quit a job largely because a slick salesperson sold the bosses onto becoming a testing house for sharepoint 1.0

nope

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

more like shartpoint

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i wonder if our sharepoint server is still running

no one ever used it so it's not like anybody would tell me if it wasn't working

there's a legit 50/50 chance i haven't decommissioned that box lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if you're in the infrastructure space above sharepoint then sharepoint online in o365 is a loving godsend. gently caress janitoring sharepoint servers.

ofc if you're in the developer space inside sharepoint then you're still hosed.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
writing code for sharepoint is surprisingly not bad

working with sharepoint as a button-clicker, trying to theme it like drupal, is hell on earth

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1058676834940776450

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Didn't realize con.* would cause that.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what's the specific bug here

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DOS's hidden devices exist in every directory [arguable bug, but probably solid legacy compatibility reasons] and [the bug] totally ignore the file extension.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SRQ posted:

reserved filename

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

there's a whole twitter thread but remember when 'cd c:\con\con' would bluescreen windows? aux is one of those special files

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i read the thread and tbh this seems like a non issue.

like sure we can make fun of this but "you can't use this handful of specific filenames for legacy reasons" seems reasonable enough.

the stupid part is windows not giving you an error telling you that's why and instead saying it's a file system thing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbf those legacy reasons were bad when they were created in 1974 and they're even worse now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
during one project at my last job, someone who should have known better wanted to split the market segments into folders named RES, BUS, and COM

i had to explain why the COM one wouldn’t work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

i read the thread and tbh this seems like a non issue.

like sure we can make fun of this but "you can't use this handful of specific filenames for legacy reasons" seems reasonable enough.

the stupid part is windows not giving you an error telling you that's why and instead saying it's a file system thing.
yeah it's simple just wrap some error handling around this 40-year-old code. how hard could that be.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Chris Knight posted:

during one project at my last job, someone who should have known better wanted to split the market segments into folders named RES, BUS, and COM

i had to explain why the COM one wouldn’t work
i'm probably this guy because i had some folders/files on a harddrive that wouldn't copy over to a work desktop, because i used other os' for so long that i forgot that these restrictions existed

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i had a coworker who put emojis in some word/excel doc file names on their mac and when these files needed to be sent to others, it created.. something of a mess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"Q4_FINANCIALS_😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 (2).xlsx"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

i'm probably this guy because i had some folders/files on a harddrive that wouldn't copy over to a work desktop, because i used other os' for so long that i forgot that these restrictions existed

makes sense for you. I’m talking people who exclusively use and develop on wandows

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

works as designed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Phoenixan posted:

i had a coworker who put emojis in some word/excel doc file names on their mac and when these files needed to be sent to others, it created.. something of a mess

lmao. what grade are they in?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

anthonypants posted:

yeah it's simple just wrap some error handling around this 40-year-old code. how hard could that be.

i don't care how hard it is throwing up an error that doesn't make sense and would obligate a different approach (file too big? I guess I need to make it smaller!) to fix it is loving awful. don't make excuses for msft.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

President Beep posted:

lmao. what grade are they in?
old enough to be my grandparent, and mostly used the markings ❗️‼️❌ in invoices to designate how urgent something was/if it was cancelled by customer/whatever

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

i don't care how hard it is throwing up an error that doesn't make sense and would obligate a different approach (file too big? I guess I need to make it smaller!) to fix it is loving awful. don't make excuses for msft.
you're saying someone should rewrite the code dealing with reserved names just to unreserve those names, but i'm making excuses for microsoft just because i don't want to personally do qa for whatever sub-contractor they hire to write that code

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Older people love emojis, not surprised.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i should also note that it was a place that used macs exclusively for a time, but then added in some windows workstations around the time i started

basically headaches would have been prevented if apple just released a mac pro worth a drat instead of a trashcan

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

anthonypants posted:

you're saying someone should rewrite the code dealing with reserved names just to unreserve those names, but i'm making excuses for microsoft just because i don't want to personally do qa for whatever sub-contractor they hire to write that code

no i'm just saying the error message needs to refer to the actual problem, whether that requires a kludged fix where it literally just detects that error and replaces it with "this name is reserved" i don't care.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

no i'm just saying the error message needs to refer to the actual problem, whether that requires a kludged fix where it literally just detects that error and replaces it with "this name is reserved" i don't care.
yeah i definitely think everything that interacts with the filesystem should have error handling code to throw "hey! there's a file here with a reserved name! you can't do that!" errors. that's both efficient and practical. do you work for microsoft

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

works as designed

terribly!!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

anthonypants posted:

yeah i definitely think everything that interacts with the filesystem should have error handling code to throw "hey! there's a file here with a reserved name! you can't do that!" errors. that's both efficient and practical. do you work for microsoft

why everything. this problem boils down to like 10 filenames, is it really that hard to throw an error that makes sense when this happens.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

why everything. this problem boils down to like 10 filenames, is it really that hard to throw an error that makes sense when this happens.
yes, that's what i'm saying. thank you.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

god being an incoming exec/manager at must be a thing.

"What? What are you looking at me for? This is an obvious issue with an obvious fix, do it."

"What the gently caress do you mean six different teams?"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

SRQ posted:

god being an incoming exec/manager at must be a thing.

"What? What are you looking at me for? This is an obvious issue with an obvious fix, do it."

"What the gently caress do you mean six different teams?"

no, more like:

executive: "partner gem, fix this obvious problem!"
partner gem: "absolutely! principal gem, could you take a look at this?"
principal gem: "will do! senior engineering manager, can your team get this fixed?"
senior engineering manager: "definitely! developer, fix this!"
developer: "will do!"
*developer puts this one particular bug at top of list of 1,000 bugs*
*developer works on bug for two weeks, fixes it and introduces 3 regressions in the process*
*no one tests a goddamn thing*
*code ships to public 6 months later*
*customers gripe on twitter about regressions*
executive: "fix these obvious problems!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao