Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Duckman2008 posted:

Two questions :

1. I have a 128GB SD Card (mistake), which is half full on my switch. Most of my games are digital download from the Nintendo store. How hard is it to transition to a 256?

2. I own Mario kart as a cartridge. If I want to download a digital download (sell off my cartridge to help balance it), does it keep all the data or do I have to start over.

I’m sure downloads vs physical cartridge is debatable, but with how portable the switch is, I like the concept of just having most of the games , especially multiplayer, just built in.

1. Easy but time consuming. You need to download a tool to format it properly (it's a common tool, Nintendo links it on their site) and do a long form format of your new card, which will take a good while. Then it's easy to transfer the data from your other card into your PC and from your PC onto your new card, but both are, again, time consuming since it's a lot of data.

2. Yes, and this is the case with almost all games. It's only not the case when there are multiple versions of a game sometimes or if the developer fucks it up (Nicalis hosed up with Isaac)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't understand how the physical games aren't considered portable

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do you really not?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m sure downloads vs physical cartridge is debatable, but with how portable the switch is, I like the concept of just having most of the games , especially multiplayer, just built in.

Cartridges all the way, even if it's all little inconvenient. Nintendo's digital distribution system sucks. Plus, you can't lick digital copies.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Cartridges all the way, even if it's all little inconvenient. Nintendo's digital distribution system sucks. Plus, you can't lick digital copies.

I bought a game and then downloaded it.

That's enough for me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Imagine having to locate and insert a specific SD card every time you want to watch something else on Netflix on your laptop. Or having to pop in individual CDs (gross) to switch albums rather than just scrolling through your massive Spotify library.

poo poo's for scrubs

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This just in, good game is good!!!

(Diablo loving rules!)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is the eShop going real slow for anyone else? It's going to take 19 hours to download Diablo apparently which completely ruins my plans for tonight :argh: I can concurrently run a speed test which shows full speed so it's not my internet specifically.

edit: 21 hours :sigh:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do you really not?

No. They're tiny. Anyone who is carrying their switch around presumably has a case, which will also have room for plenty of games in there. Like obviously I see how digital is preferable, especially for the smaller indie titles more suited to playing in smaller bursts and regularly swapping between them, but for the bigger mainstream games I play for hours at a time then it's really very little inconvenience to spend 10 seconds swapping a game card around. Especially when that game card can be bought a lot cheaper than digital releases and also retains its value if you want to sell it on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silly question but on Diablo 3 Switch, how do you equip a companion pet? I want to run around with the Zelda cucco pet. :3:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Butterfly Valley posted:

No. They're tiny. Anyone who is carrying their switch around presumably has a case, which will also have room for plenty of games in there. Like obviously I see how digital is preferable, especially for the smaller indie titles more suited to playing in smaller bursts and regularly swapping between them, but for the bigger mainstream games I play for hours at a time then it's really very little inconvenience to spend 10 seconds swapping a game card around. Especially when that game card can be bought a lot cheaper than digital releases and also retains its value if you want to sell it on.
Does not apply to Starlink

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's great if that's not a drawback for you, but it seems like it should be obvious why a lot of people consider it less "portable" to have to carry around a bunch of little droppable/loseable pieces when you could just have them all on there the way you do your phone. I would totally consider my phone less portable if each app was in a little micro SD card that I had to switch out.

e: disclaimer, you do switch between phone apps more than you switch between games

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 2, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

still hosed up that Castlevania has two characters in Smash Bros but we don't even have a Castlevania game on the NES Online collection. Where the hell are all my Castlevania ports, Konami?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Where the hell are all my Castlevania ports, Konami?

On PS4 :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MZ posted:

Been thinking of picking up a Switch Pro Controller - is the d-pad still an issue and how easy is it to fix?
There's claims that newer models are better than old ones, but it's not definitive. That said, not everyone has a problem with the D-pad and if you do, it's easy to fix. You don't have to tape over the contacts either, just put a square of tape under the post.

MZ posted:

Also are any of the third-party controllers worth a drat or will I have to shell out £60 for this thing?
I think the biggest issue is that no third-party controller supports HD rumble.

Duckman2008 posted:

1. I have a 128GB SD Card (mistake), which is half full on my switch. Most of my games are digital download from the Nintendo store. How hard is it to transition to a 256?
The foolproof-but-time-consuming way is to insert the new card, format it in the Switch, and then one-by-one redownload the games.

The fast-but-may-not-work way is to copy the Nintendo folder from the old card to the new one on a PC. This will probably work on a Windows machine, but probably won't on a Mac and needs a fix. If you do it on a platform that uses the exFAT FUSE driver (Linux, FreeBSD, Chrome OS, etc.) it straight up won't work.

The issue is that the Switch OS won't read certain folders unless they have the "archive bit" set on them, which is an esoteric and obsolete feature of FAT file systems generally ignored by non-Windows platforms. You'll know it's problem when trying to start a game on the new SD card. The consensus is that this is unintentional behavior of the Switch's exFAT driver.

Duckman2008 posted:

2. I own Mario kart as a cartridge. If I want to download a digital download (sell off my cartridge to help balance it), does it keep all the data or do I have to start over.
Generally this works, and it shouldn't be a problem with first-party titles. Sometimes it will be an issue with third-party titles where the publisher is different between the digital and physical versions, since they'll be considered separate titles. In these cases, if you have both versions of the game they both appear on the home screen as if they were separate games.

If you own (or have access to) the cartridge version, one thing you can do is press the + button and pull up the eShop page. If it opens to the a working eShop page and you use the buy link there, then it should be the same title. If it fails to open the eShop and reports an error code, that means they're separate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

still hosed up that Castlevania has two characters in Smash Bros but we don't even have a Castlevania game on the NES Online collection. Where the hell are all my Castlevania ports, Konami?

All 2D Castlevania games on Switch would be badass.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

when that game card can be bought a lot cheaper than digital releases and also retains its value if you want to sell it on.

Hence why I said it's for scrubs :smug:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

No. They're tiny. Anyone who is carrying their switch around presumably has a case, which will also have room for plenty of games in there.
The games themselves are portable, sure, but some people may find it inconvenient to carry their games around, or may find it burdensome to have to select which subset of games they own to carry, or swap games out on the train, or whatever.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lol if you haul around a video game console in a carrying case in 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
That’s good info everyone, thanks.

Edit: I’ll probably hold off on getting a new SD card, it’s only half full and I don’t have many games I’m set on getting after smash brothers.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's great if that's not a drawback for you, but it seems like it should be obvious why a lot of people consider it less "portable" to have to carry around a bunch of little droppable/loseable pieces when you could just have them all on there the way you do your phone. I would totally consider my phone less portable if each app was in a little micro SD card that I had to switch out.

e: disclaimer, you do switch between phone apps more than you switch between games

Yeah, I knew it would create a debate.

At first I felt I wanted everything on a digital download. Now, I think I’m leaning towards two types being digital:

1. Multiplayer games I’m never going to want to get rid of: Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. My wife and I can play and switch between games easily. And I’m just not going to sell a game like Mario kart.

2. Super small / indie games: I don’t buy many of these, but that would be category 2.

For a while I regretted buying Zelda on cartridge, but I do agree that it doesn’t feel as big of a deal swapping cartridges for single player games. Those are games I both won’t play as often once I beat them (I haven’t touched Zelda in over 6 months even though I love the game), and some I would consider selling at some point.

And honestly price isn’t the end of the world for me. I just dropped $85 on the digital Smash Deluxe edition today (I did get $8 back from Nintendo), and while I totally get why people would think that’s a dumb idea it just doesn’t bother me.

Irony from everything above: For my PS4 I have all disk games (one exception), and I rarely pay more than $10-15 for a PS4 game. I usually buy whatever discounted games on Black Friday, like assassins creed from 2 years ago for $10. So my PS4 buying habits are literal opposite of my switch habits.

So hell if I know, not everything is logical.

KingSlime posted:

Lol if you haul around a video game console in a carrying case in 2018

I usually only bring my switch when we go on vacation , but isn’t that one of the points of a Switch?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Hence why I said it's for scrubs :smug:

'Why' following hence is totally redundant :smug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Duckman2008 posted:

Two questions :

Al Borland Corpse posted:

1. Easy but time consuming. You need to download a tool to format it properly (it's a common tool, Nintendo links it on their site) and do a long form format of your new card, which will take a good while. Then it's easy to transfer the data from your other card into your PC and from your PC onto your new card, but both are, again, time consuming since it's a lot of data.

2. Yes, and this is the case with almost all games. It's only not the case when there are multiple versions of a game sometimes or if the developer fucks it up (Nicalis hosed up with Isaac)

I did this recently. I didn't have to reformat the card and it worked just fine. Moving files back and forth definitely wants a USB3.0 card reader, though. 2.0 is SO slow.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

I said come in! posted:

Silly question but on Diablo 3 Switch, how do you equip a companion pet? I want to run around with the Zelda cucco pet. :3:

When you pull up the inventory menu there's a slot for cosmetics. It's in there, along with goofy wings, picture frames (I'm rocking the Triforce), and some sort of battle standard you wear on your back for some reason.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

I said come in! posted:

On the inventory page, in the lower right, there's an icon that looks like a pouch. Press A on that, and then there'll be an option that looks like a mirror for cosmetics, including pets.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

gently caress!! I was the true scrub all along

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Taiko trip report: Motion controls feel quite good but not perfect to me. Most of the time when I don't get the input I wanted it is because I am bad and doing it wrong, as evidenced by that happening less often as I play more, though I've had a few times where the controls felt like they were a bit too sensitive. For someone who is really hardcore about playing Taiko for score I'd guess you're better off getting ahold of the drums but as a casual player I like joycon drumming and this is how I am gonna play the game.

Tracklist is good so far and it looks like much of the dlc that has come out since the Japanese release is already purchased and for reasonable price (one $5 pack has 5 songs, a dollar a song is a decent DLC price in my book). Kirby and Splatoon medleys are fun.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The foolproof-but-time-consuming way is to insert the new card, format it in the Switch, and then one-by-one redownload the games.

The fast-but-may-not-work way is to copy the Nintendo folder from the old card to the new one on a PC. This will probably work on a Windows machine, but probably won't on a Mac and needs a fix. If you do it on a platform that uses the exFAT FUSE driver (Linux, FreeBSD, Chrome OS, etc.) it straight up won't work.

The issue is that the Switch OS won't read certain folders unless they have the "archive bit" set on them, which is an esoteric and obsolete feature of FAT file systems generally ignored by non-Windows platforms. You'll know it's problem when trying to start a game on the new SD card. The consensus is that this is unintentional behavior of the Switch's exFAT driver.

Would this nonsense cause an error 2016-0247 “unable to access MicroSD card” upon first arriving at the home screen then trying to launch a game or save a screenshot after following Nintendo’s instructions for the format & copy on OSX? I’ve had a 400gb card since the Labor Day sale and I’ve been telling myself since, “I’ll contact Nintendo to send it in next week” for various reasons. Somehow I never dig up this info when searching around.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 2, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

How do you feel about weapon durability in BOTW

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

D2 also has sweet boss runs that I didn't mind playing into infinity with friends back in ~2003. Part of the issue we had with D3 at launch was the awful drop rate and the auction house. I wouldn't have given a poo poo about the auction house if the drop rate meant I was getting more than blues after playing for a few hours. I fell off of it right as they were adding in the paragon system.

Drop rates are very generous now, especially higher difficulty levels. Also you're guaranteed to get a drop after XX time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shame Boner posted:

Would this nonsense cause an error 2016-0247 “unable to access MicroSD card” upon first arriving at the home screen when following Nintendo’s instructions for the format & copy on OSX?
Probably. I got a different error (forget the exact code) that only happened when trying to launch software, but I could see how you might get that one instead if the Switch thinks the card isn't readable.

Through some hackery I got my new card to actually work by twiddling with the archive bits, so there's definitely something going on there. But I wouldn't recommend that approach. Unless you have captures you really want to save, I'd just format and redownload when you have a decent Internet connection. Even if you do it for one game, that will tell you it's definitely something wonky in the copy process and not the card itself.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

[Diablo III newcomer advice]

Play on a high difficulty

Please do not do this. Nothing will kill this game faster for a new player than having to spend 5 to 10 seconds killing every single enemy.

Here’s slightly different advice modified to make the game more fun: in the early game, set the difficulty as high as you can while still being able to mow through enemies quickly.

This will change only slightly in the late game, where you’ll set the difficulty slightly higher.

Diablo III’s difficulty setting it’s more like a notched slider then the typical “easy medium hard“ settings you see normally. The normal game has something like 15 difficulty settings overall, each one incrementally increasing monster health and drop percentage. Don’t worry, you can change these difficulty settings anytime you want in the menu.

In rift dungeon mode (totally randomized dungeon of like 3 to 5 floors, infinitely repeatable and randomized every time), there are like 100 difficulty settings.

It’s amazing. Just pick the highest difficulty you can play on that lets you kill things fast.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 2, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Target is doing a buy 2 get 1 free sale at the moment on video games, unfortunately they don't offer many Switch titles in this deal. It might be worth it if you have a PS4/XBone as well and can mix and match across platforms.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"play the story mode but only once"

"Nah skip it, that's not even the good part of the game"

"Set it to hard though or you'll be bored out of your skull"

"Actually don't set it too hard, that's just going to become a chore and will turn you off from the game"

Man you guys make Diablo 3 sound so appealing...is it actually good?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Diablo means devil

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KingSlime posted:

"Actually don't set it too hard, that's just going to become a chore and will turn you off from the game"

like asking an addict if the drugs are good

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm just going to play the game

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingSlime posted:

If you played it enough that you know all the systems inside and out the single player is extremely boring. The story is not going to blow your socks off (it's a Blizzard game lol), but it's serviceable and the cutscenes are cool. If you play through it you'll level up at a pace that lets you try out all the skills as you unlock them so you can experiment with what you like.

If you want a game with some story it's fine, but you'll level up way faster and get to the meat of the game (the part where some people have been playing hundreds or thousands of hours) quicker. It all depends on what you're looking for from the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm relaxing with 20xx which I finally got though I don't really understand the upgrade system and if this stuff is permanent or what, the text is a bit small. Also enjoying game boy octopus game.

I still haven't done Torna or DK Rabbids or Octo expansion, and with Pokemon coming soon I might not get to it for a long time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Diablo looks so unappealing to me but you guys are making me consider it. Maybe when I can find a used copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to play a WD because that's what I played the most of in 1.0 and I'm interested to see what has changed. I liked just turning on a hose of BEARS and I wonder if that's still a thing.

I'll start up the story but ditch it when I get bored, and I'll start up on hard unless it's too slow then I'll turn it down.

Seems like a plan.

e: I guess also I need to do all of this within the Season, which wasn't a thing last time I played but is probably pretty self-explanatory once I'm sitting on the couch playing and not on the computer at work procrastinating.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 2, 2018