Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The big issue with tv shows is that sometimes people will ask friends over to watch new episodes of "popular" "serialized" "entertainment" and I freeze up about if and how I should remove my shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

I too don't understand this whole "entertainment" thing. People who watch plays are boring too because you could just read them. And reading is dumb because you could just think about a story.

You are being very reductive here and you arnt wrong but consider this... even if its the slightest chance, creating anything is going to bring you more success than consuming

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I mean, I have been known to do things like watch 12+ hours straight of pawn stars or stargate, which I wouldn't deny is a huge waste of time, but what else am I going to watch while I'm drinking all day on the weekend? If you say "don't drink all day", the answer to that is "no".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm starting to think this guy is just a moron

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, I think he's got it all figured out.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
That sounds like an awful low point man but I've never really tried drinking alcohol before dinner at the earliest so i dunno

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

CrRoMa posted:

I go through most of my adult life feeling like there isn't enough time and that I have too much to do. Most of my thoughts stem from a position of jealousy that if anyone out there has enough free time to watch 120 episodes of the walking dead they can't be very busy.

I've never been unemployed and have worked full time for 16 years now though so that's probably a bigger factor than anything.

I listen to TTS renditions of my books as I work, because work requires very little engagement. Engaging in things you enjoy is good, friend. Also, perhaps you're watching the wrong media. Have you tried Ulysses? I hear it's a good piece of serial fiction, though I've never bothered.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

That sounds like an awful low point man but I've never really tried drinking alcohol before dinner at the earliest so i dunno

My friend, you need to treat yourself to some good old fashioned day drinking.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

It does get pretty rough at around 2pm when they start the loop of episodes over again, but by that point you start to stop caring. It's more like background noise anyway, it's not like it requires much of your attention to get the gist of an episode of that/american pickers/whatever.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
There is something about drinking booze before nightfall (broadly speaking) that makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable in a way that doesnt even register when i wake up on a Saturday morning and smoke a joint before breakfast

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CrRoMa posted:

There is something about drinking booze before nightfall (broadly speaking) that makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable in a way that doesnt even register when i wake up on a Saturday morning and smoke a joint before breakfast

Your summers must be awful

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm craving a shower beer. But I don't have any beer at home. So I should go buy some, just to enjoy one in the shower.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The big issue with tv shows is that sometimes people will ask friends over to watch new episodes of "popular" "serialized" "entertainment" and I freeze up about if and how I should remove my shoes.

I’m considering just going barefoot everywhere from here on out. I imagine I’ll get used to the cuts and the cold and this way no one will think I’m weird for wanting to keep my shoes on when I visit somebody to watch “popular” “serialized” “entertainment” “programs.”

burial has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Nov 2, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

burial posted:

I’m considering just going barefoot everywhere from here on out. I imagine I’ll get used to the cuts and the cold and this way no one will think I’m weird for wanting to keep my shoes on when I visit somebody to watch “popular” “serilaized” “entertainment” “programs.”

When I was in grad school we had a guy who would always walk around barefoot. The bottom of his feet were always a disgusting shade of brown+black. He was also one of those vibram foot shoe guys and would never shut up about how great they were, but once he got into the building, barefoot. Also he smelled.

Don't be that guy.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I wasn’t actually planning on it because I would lose toes in about two winter days here and I’m pretty OK with my toes even if they are a little weird.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We had a high school trip to Hawaii and I walked around Honolulu for a day barefoot (we were all impressed at how clean and broken glass free downtown was compared to west Texas and I was a dumbass trying to be funny). No frostbite but my feet were completely disgusting by the end of it. Like solid black and they were still stained after 10 minutes of scrubbing under a running bath stream. Do not recommend.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

starkebn posted:

There's plenty of really great story focused cartoons right now, and plenty of episodic shows I like too.

:shrug:

Oh yeah, for sure. I was just reminiscing about my childhood mostly. I was sitting at work and just thinkin' bout Dexter's Laboratory, Rockos Modern Life, HEY! Arnold!, Johnny Bravo, Ren and Stimpy, Animaniacs, AHH! REAL MONSTERS!, Cat Dog, 2 Stupid Dogs, Angry Beavers, ect ect.

It was like, a constant flow of good poo poo. Like, I was never disappointed when the first show ended and a new show came on. Even the Live Action shows I enjoyed! Pete and Pete, All That, Double Dare!, and that one where they can't build a goddamn 3 piece monkey statue :argh:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

CrRoMa posted:

Why yes I'm sure the 90 hours of your life watching breaking bad was the highlight of your life. Me watching one episode and then reading the most rest on Wikipedia worked out fine for me though

Hold up. You think tv is a waste of time, but you read all the episode synopses for Breaking Bad on Wikipedia?
:thunk:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CrRoMa posted:

How is it possible to smoke weed and still be such a square?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's all it took. One poster to bring this thread to grinding halt. Mods, please add "No T.V and day drinking or any of that cool poo poo."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
surely "no star wars or any of that poo poo"?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
No discussing anything, ever again.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Post CrRoMa's Personally Held Unpopular Opinions: *farts*

on topic: I like iced coffee better then hot coffee :coffeepal:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Media of all forms can be objectively good or bad. Your own personal enjoyment of something is unrelated to its objective quality. It's okay to like bad things or dislike good things and nobody has the right to tell you that you shouldn't enjoy something.

But lets not pretend just because enjoyment is subjective that you can't judge the actual craft that was put into making a given film. The wishy washy 'well good is subjective' bullshit is just a way to smoke screen actual discussion on the subject.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My argument is that objective quality is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is your level of enjoyment of it. It's a complete waste of time to debate the objective quality of movies/games/etc. I would say "unless you're an academic", but if you're an academic studying such things, you are wasting your time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If you ignore objective quality than all discussions about a movie are just

'hey I saw X, I liked it. Did you like it?'

'I also liked it'

Conversation over. How boring.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hello, I'm Dr. Mr.Cat, I graduated top of my class majoring in 90s cartoon shows with a minor in N64 video games. I am qualified to tell you which 90s cartoons shows were, in fact, hot garbage. The answer, none of them. They were all great.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Agent355 posted:

'I also liked it'

You're still allowed to say why you liked/didn't like it, just don't try and bring objectivity into it. If it's objective truth, there's nothing to discuss, you either know it or you don't and when i'm talking about what movies I like I don't want to get "educated".

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whether you want to have the conversation or not is fine. I'd be an assole to prattle on at somebody about the cinematic craftmanship involved in whatever movie if they weren't interested in the conversation.

The unpopular opinion is that objective quality in media exists, not that it should be the only way movies are discussed. Denying it exists is the equivalent peeve, not just talking about whether you enjoyed a movie or not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't deny it exists, I just don't care about it. If something is objectively good and I don't enjoy it, it just reminds me that I have bad taste.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone but rear end here sounds like a horribly unlikeable person

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

He was also one of those vibram foot shoe guys and would never shut up about how great they were

He wasn't wrong there at least, those things are comfy as hell, at least the 1-2 pairs I've ever tried.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Agent355 posted:

Media of all forms can be objectively good or bad.
Actually the opposite of this is true. "Good" and "bad" are inherently value judgements which means they're subjective. Value is a matter of taste. There is no ultimate moral or aesthetic arbiter that can determine what is objectively good.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

if you're an academic studying such things, you are wasting your time.
It is impossible to waste time. Life is inherently meaningless and there's no high score table at the end. No matter what you do or don't do, we all end up dead in the end.

Agent355 posted:

'I also liked it'

I have no ideas what you mean by the word "objective". Opinions can be more complex and nuanced than "thing is good".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

He wasn't wrong there at least, those things are comfy as hell, at least the 1-2 pairs I've ever tried.

I can buy that they were comfortable, but not the new-age poo poo about it connecting you more directly to your substrate or whatever he would always ramble about.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The Adventures of Pete and Pete was a masterpiece of television and storytelling the likes of which this demon cracker nation and benighted planet can never hope to see again. :colbert: gently caress, that was another objective fact. :doh:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I too don't understand this whole "entertainment" thing. People who watch plays are boring too because you could just read them. And reading is dumb because you could just think about a story.

Which us why everyone just plays DnD and makes the perfect story they want.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most of the time you watch tv to make the place feel less empty. When it's just me and the wives, it's always feels very lonely, tv helps with that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Which us why everyone just plays DnD and makes the perfect story they want.

Exactly, until loving Dan decides that he's bored and wants to end the game after he's had seven Lead Feathers and starts attacking everyone in the party while shouting "BETRAYAL! BWAHAHAHA!" and then finishing their drink if he wins.

Though, thinking back on it, it was a very satisfying conclusion to that part of game night.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

The Adventures of Pete and Pete was a masterpiece of television and storytelling the likes of which this demon cracker nation and benighted planet can never hope to see again. :colbert: gently caress, that was another objective fact. :doh:

:hmmyes:

I occasionally fight the ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:hmmyes:

I occasionally fight the ocean

:3:!