Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Fair enough. I just feel like, if you have to calibrate to that extent to ensure that you're having a good time, maybe it's just not a very good game to begin with? Probably not for me at least.

I saw a GB quick look and they were in some weird world where they were fighting ponies and teddy bears? Past that, the art style is dull and generic, and even fans tell me the story sucks poo poo.

Glad others are looking forward to it, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Why? It's an RPG where you only press one, possibly two buttons, so all you would ever need is a single joycon anyway, which you have.

Exactly, so why wouldn't you be able to use a pro-controller?

Edit: This is really loving dumb

https://www.destructoid.com/you-can-t-use-a-pro-controller-for-pokemon-let-s-go-529480.phtml

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 2, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Fair enough. I just feel like, if you have to calibrate to that extent to ensure that you're having a good time, maybe it's just not a very good game to begin with? Probably not for me at least.

That's good then, because you don't have to. The option is just there if you want it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KingSlime posted:

"play the story mode but only once"

"Nah skip it, that's not even the good part of the game"

"Set it to hard though or you'll be bored out of your skull"

"Actually don't set it too hard, that's just going to become a chore and will turn you off from the game"

Man you guys make Diablo 3 sound so appealing...is it actually good?

The fact that all these different opinions exist means the game is pretty open to being played however you want.

Once you find the sweet spot, it’s pretty much a constant stream of gently caress-yeah-this-rules gameplay.

And when you find the right gear and build, late game Diablo 3 is like watching a constant fireworks show where you get more points and more stuff for making cooler fireworks displays.

Game’s good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lemming posted:

That's good then, because you don't have to. The option is just there if you want it.

But is the game fun without extensive tweaking? Dark Souls is really good without any difficulty options, and the ability to co-op is integrated very organically so it works really well.

Not that I want this to devolve into a which game is better pissing contest, I just think it's an interesting exercise to try and read all the advice on the last two pages as a third party who is completely unfamiliar with the game. It sounds absolutely insane!

Most of you know what you're getting into though, different strokes and all that

E: I was curious about picking it up, that's why I'm "invested" in this topic. I might wait for a sale though.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 2, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Past that, the art style is dull and generic, and even fans tell me the story sucks poo poo.

Diablo fans hate Diablo 3 more than anyone else

as someone who never played those old-rear end games, I say Diablo 3 is good and fun

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Diablo 3 loving rules, but I never really liked Diablo 2 so

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

But is the game fun without extensive tweaking? Dark Souls is really good without any difficulty options, and the ability to co-op is integrated very organically so it works really well.

Not that I want this to devolve into a which game is better pissing contest, I just think it's an interesting exercise to try and read all the advice as a third party who is completely unfamiliar with the game. It sounds insane!

Can't really compare those games in any way.

People are weird about Diablo, just like.. play it. It's fine. I even played it during launch (when apparently it was really bad) and I had a lot of fun with it. You just walk around, smash some skeletons and loot some items. It's not rocket science.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The story of Diablo 3 is stupid but it's not stupider than your average video game story. Its Saturday-morning-cartoon "mua-ha-ha-ha" type villains are also grating to anyone who enjoyed Diablo 2's "grimdark" aesthetic but if you're new to Diablo or don't really care that much, it's a non issue. If you can stomach the story in something like God of War (the old ones, I've never played the new one), Diablo 3 is hardly different. Also, because you don't have to replay the story four times in a row per character anymore, it will definitely not be as unbearable as some people are making it out to be. I might even play through the story mode for nostalgia.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingSlime posted:

But is the game fun without extensive tweaking?

Yes. I'm glad I was able to get you through your weird hangup on difficulty levels existing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lemming posted:

Yes. I'm glad I was able to get you through your weird hangup on difficulty levels existing.

No need to take my opinion so personally, I just think it's interesting that the last few pages make it sound like D3 is a poorly designed game.

I'm sure the discussion sounds a lot more sane for people who are familiar with the context of the game

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingSlime posted:

No need to take my opinion so personally, I just think it's interesting that the last few pages make it sound like D3 is a poorly designed game.

I'm sure the discussion sounds a lot more sane for people who are familiar with the context of the game

No, you've just got a pointless hangup about games giving you options. That's all :)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah that's exactly it, you nailed it. Good job!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

katkillad2 posted:

Exactly, so why wouldn't you be able to use a pro-controller?

Edit: This is really loving dumb

https://www.destructoid.com/you-can-t-use-a-pro-controller-for-pokemon-let-s-go-529480.phtml

That article looks like a gamefaqs post

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is my first time playing the D3 Necromancer and it's super fun so far. Lots of skeletons, J. Mascis hair, and the timeless philosophical conundrum: Should I make corpses explode or launch their bones into a targeted enemy, one-shotting them and creating another bone-projectile-filled corpse?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
You can't use a pro controller because why would a PRO gamer play babby games like these?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is my first time playing the D3 Necromancer and it's super fun so far. Lots of skeletons, J. Mascis hair, and the timeless philosophical conundrum: Should I make corpses explode or launch their bones into a targeted enemy, one-shotting them and creating another bone-projectile-filled corpse?

drat, take note y'all

THIS is how you sell a game

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

That article looks like a gamefaqs post

I'm the guy who thought about selling the joycons at launch because I'm never going to use them, but didn't because the initial setup required them, I couldn't get through it with a pro-controller and I thought maybe firmware updates might expect them as well.

Joycons seem great if you are a 7 year old or have baby hands. I'm no Dikembe Mutombo, but I'm not going to chop my hands in half to play with joycons especially when there's zero logical reason you wouldn't be able to use a pro-controller in this situation. Like I get it for Mario Party, but forcing a control scheme to influence you to buy a Poke Ball controller which realistically will be used for one game is dumb.

I wouldn't have bought Starlink either if it was joycons only.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've only tried a Monk and its basically a very bright train killing everything in its path.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I'm the guy who thought about selling the joycons at launch because I'm never going to use them, but didn't because the initial setup required them, I couldn't get through it with a pro-controller and I thought maybe firmware updates might expect them as well.

Joycons seem great if you are a 7 year old or have baby hands. I'm no Dikembe Mutombo, but I'm not going to chop my hands in half to play with joycons especially when there's zero logical reason you wouldn't be able to use a pro-controller in this situation. Like I get it for Mario Party, but forcing a control scheme to influence you to buy a Poke Ball controller which realistically will be used for one game is dumb.

It seems pretty clear to me that Nintendo sees the pro controller as a side accessory, not a core item, and compability with a given title should never be assumed until it's confirmed. Better cozy up to those joy cons imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

katkillad2 posted:

\

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm just gonna post one of my favorite quotes from the old Barb thread on why you should play a Barbarian:

quote:

Why a Barbarian?
You are a distinguished merchant of beatdowns
You want to have the best ragdoll effects in the game
You want to actually see your weapon model being used in your attacks
You want to be the only person who was actually around for when Diablo 1 & 2 happened (male only)
You have fond memories of leaving your friends behind terrain in Act 3 Jungles of Diablo 2
You like your women in video games thick

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, Knock Knock is out on Switch. It's a cool little game made by Ice-Pick Lodge, better known for Pathologic and The Void. You play as a weirdo who lives alone in a house in some creepy woods. Every night he awakes and has to walk around the house and keep the lights on so The Guests can't get him. After that he has to venture out in the woods and either follow or avoid a creepy little girl. It's never quite clear why this is. The big problem is that every night the interior of the house gets completely changed and it seems to grow. The forest is also never quite the same since last night.
There's also the problem with the big skull demon thing that keeps coming ever closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8O4AouFQbw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know what I'm looking at here, my eyes just cross and unfocus, it's like noneuclidean biology

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Joycons are pretty comfortable to me both on the grip and portably. The only appeal of the pro controller to me is having a dpad but lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

homeless snail posted:

I don't know what I'm looking at here, my eyes just cross and unfocus, it's like noneuclidean biology

It's a man with very large, very real hands

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's a man with very large, very real hands

NOBODY LOOK

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sometimes I feel like I'm the last person on Earth that can grasp smaller objects by closing my hands further.

That said, I still use the Pro Controller 100% of the time because I want a cord and Nintendo won't sell the Joy-Con cords to the public.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the last person on Earth that can grasp smaller objects by closing my hands further.

That said, I still use the Pro Controller 100% of the time because I want a cord and Nintendo won't sell the Joy-Con cords to the public.

Out of curiosity the weight and tug of the cable don't bother you? Guess if you always do it that way that feels normal and without it'd suddenly feel too light.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's comfortable and the signal is better, what's not to like

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The d pad?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Spellman posted:

It's comfortable and the signal is better, what's not to like

Split Joy-Cons let you sprawl out in bed/on the couch in weird positions.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Joycons are OK, but they don't fit in my hand well. I have to pull my thumb in too much which gives me crab hand cramps.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

I'm relaxing with 20xx which I finally got though I don't really understand the upgrade system and if this stuff is permanent or what, the text is a bit small. Also enjoying game boy octopus game.

I still haven't done Torna or DK Rabbids or Octo expansion, and with Pokemon coming soon I might not get to it for a long time

This game is so good. I love the randomization and the kinda rogue-lite element of it with collecting stuff through a run for in-run upgrades but having a longer system of permanent unlocks and upgrades that lasts between missions (unless you play on ezmode difficulty). Also it perfectly captures the feel of playing X or Zero and is even more responsive on some things like wall dashes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/gloomygalleon/status/1058247807830700032?s=19

deftest
May 7, 2011
diablo posts:

regular mode is indeed just tweaking the difficulty to your leisure to find a "sweet spot".

that's about as fun as it sounds.

what that game is really about is HARDCORE MODE, wherein if your character ever dies, that character is dead forever

Now you want to up the difficulty to make the game more interesting, but go too high and risk it all. your heart pounds as you fight the tough bosses. your sweet new sword is all the sweeter knowing that it can be gone at any moment.

what that game is missing is stakes. a simple formula, just add some risk with hardcore mode, and diablo is amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

deftest posted:

diablo posts:

regular mode is indeed just tweaking the difficulty to your leisure to find a "sweet spot".

that's about as fun as it sounds.

what that game is really about is HARDCORE MODE, wherein if your character ever dies, that character is dead forever

Now you want to up the difficulty to make the game more interesting, but go too high and risk it all. your heart pounds as you fight the tough bosses. your sweet new sword is all the sweeter knowing that it can be gone at any moment.

what that game is missing is stakes. a simple formula, just add some risk with hardcore mode, and diablo is amazing.

nah

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is it normal for the Switch to report 500kbps Wi-Fi speeds? My other Wi-Fi devices give me full speed and the Switch couldn't be closer to the router without touching it. My Diablo download has been going for 4 hours now and it is 12% done. Only 38 more to go (it started at 24). Normally I'd think it's broken but I see a lot of other people online saying the same thing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does Diablo have multi matchmaking or friends list only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Volte posted:

Is it normal for the Switch to report 500kbps Wi-Fi speeds? My other Wi-Fi devices give me full speed and the Switch couldn't be closer to the router without touching it. My Diablo download has been going for 4 hours now and it is 12% done. Only 38 more to go (it started at 24). Normally I'd think it's broken but I see a lot of other people online saying the same thing.

That’s definitely not normal. Maybe open some ports on your router?