Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Beat it yesterday at night and boy, I can't wait for the full thing/next chapters even though it's gonna take a while before anything comes out.

Suddenly a wild Devolver appears:

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1058334705081176064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
those are the guys who made gungeon right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they do a lot of things but are decently respected as a publisher iirc

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

The Bee posted:

I do agree UnderTrump is a bit of a reach takewise, but I think its equally too hot a take to say Deltarune has absolutely nothing to say about its predecessor just because it uses some ideas from 2012.

I think there's a distinction between Delta Rune having stuff to say about Undertale, and having things to say about Undertale's reception. Delta Rune is absolutely saying things about Undertale, but I think the idea that Delta Rune is some kind of ouroboros commentary about it's own (speculative!) reception in comparison to Undertale is going too far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

those are the guys who made gungeon right?

devolver is one of the bigger indie publishers out there

i get the feeling toby's going to have some of the most influential names in the industry's indie scene crawling over broken glass to lend him a hand, the only question is how well he'll be able to manage it all

dude's probably going to have ZUN in his corner, if he doesn't already

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Got out of the Prison
Still not reading the thread. This thing is way longer than I imagined, but at least now I'm really getting into it. The humor and story became much better after the first bunch of rooms. Still, I don't know what the hell that thing is. It asked me to create a character, threw it away, showed the world of Undertale, then proceeded to tell a different story entirely, changed HUD and protagonist's appearance. No surprise that with such a mindfuck it was hard to enjoy it for what it was. Still, I wonder if there's a twist. It was released on halloween and was all spooky at the beginning and with all the teases that I still can't shake the feeling that something's really off. Hope I'm not too far off from the end, because I'm definitely really curious.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I will be amused if Deltarune turns out to be the sequel to Nier.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question

Has anyone attempted a saveless run-through? I get the sneaking suspicion that it may change things, but I don't have the time at the moment to attempt one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Bee posted:

Not to nitpick, but Undertale only really needs you to do that so Flowey tells you how to befriend Alphys. Other than that (which you can ressonably say Frisk could think of themselves), those neutral ending fights aren't even present on the true ending path. Heck, fighting Asriel literally does nothing. In addition, "fighting as a last resort but holding back" is exactly how most players get gotcha'd into killing Toriel, and unless you run instead of fight Undyne cannot be spared.

Deltarune puts a lot more focus on how you can't always control others' violence that perfectly, with Susie's autonomous actions and King's refusal to be befriended like everyone in Undertale eventually allows. At the same time, the fact that every fight isn't life or death also helps legitimize fighting as more of an option, unlike Undertale's genocide route that basically turns into a slaughter.

I do agree UnderTrump is a bit of a reach takewise, but I think its equally too hot a take to say Deltarune has absolutely nothing to say about its predecessor just because it uses some ideas from 2012.

Yeah, you make some good points. But still, you DO need to use violence to get to the true pacifist ending. Most of the time you have other options, but you have to physically fight people twice to get to a place where true peace is possible. I stand by that assertion.

Also, even though I do think you're right that Deltarune will have some things to say about Undertale, so far it seems to mostly be using the Undertale characters to highlight the games theme of "Same, same, but different". These are things you're comfortable with, things you thought you knew and in some ways you still do, but they're also different and that's meant to feel weird. Everything is off balance. It's too early to tell, but I think this is going to tie into how Kris feels about their home life now that their family is no longer living together.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 2, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you look hard enough do they spell out what happened to Asriel, or is that for a future chapter.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
he teamed up with his best friend temmie and went to colleg

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

dude's probably going to have ZUN in his corner, if he doesn't already

https://twitter.com/denfaminicogame/status/1053112115890798592

it's in japanese but you can at least marvel at the annoying dog's beautiful face. also english highlights here http://clarste.tumblr.com/post/179204742441/interview-with-toby-fox-undertale-and

So yeah i'm pretty sure Toby will have everyone who is even mildly connected to indie games at his beck and call. it's still insane how much Undertale blew up

e: actually speaking of undertale in japanese, i really want to work through it and see what the localization is like... susie using 俺 and lancer using 僕様 are kind of surprising but nevertheless fitting

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 2, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Both of you guys make very good points. I do agree my Asriel-is-Undertale speculation is heavily just that: speculation. To be honest it flat out started as a joke about how the Deltarune conversation keeps coming back to Undertale, but then I thought about it and went "this might actually be an interesting idea." Would I have the same thought if Toby didn't make his twitter post? Probably not, tbh, but him putting his thoughts so clearly out there made it hard not to give the game a look through that lens. Whether you agree or disagree, I'm just happy it's at least gotten us talking.

I do also agree the Undertale characters, currently, exist to share that feeling of warped familiarity and subtle wrongness. And I absolutely think that's essential to a tale of feeling like an outsider in a place that was, and is, home. It flat out wouldn't work if we had Shmoriel and Shmasgore instead of the genuine articles. I just think the game's design elements, setting, and world tell a lot on that front too.

For example, ever notice you're the only teen wearing a striped shirt?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

youcallthatatwist posted:

it's in japanese but you can at least marvel at the annoying dog's beautiful face. also english highlights here http://clarste.tumblr.com/post/179204742441/interview-with-toby-fox-undertale-and

So yeah i'm pretty sure Toby will have everyone who is even mildly connected to indie games at his beck and call. it's still insane how much Undertale blew up
This interview is insane. The depth of analysis Toby has about his touhou preferences is nuts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:chloe:

Didn’t think a flippant post like that would piss so many people off. I apologize...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jesus loving Christ, the game was in development back in 2012. It's not some bullshit reactionary piece to Undertales's popularity or the state of the world, it's a pre-planned story with it's own independent themes and messages. It's not a loving Undertale deconstruction.

Also, newsflash, Undertale doesn't loving NEED to be deconstructed because Undertale is already a GOD drat deconstruction! If you want to play a game that reconstructs the themes of Undertale have you considered playing ANY OTHER RPG (except Nier)?! The whole deconstruction Undertale was trying to accomplish was "Boy, when you play a game you sure do commit a lot of acts of violence we take for granted. What if there were a game that took these acts of violence seriously, and in turn reflected how in real life we ourselves are capable of lots of causally cruelty when we stop thinking of the people around us as independent beings with their own thoughts and feelings and lives outside of us?" If you want a game that ignores all that and has your violence either be completely ignored or totally justified there are a million other (non-Nier) choices! These are things that already exist! And most of them are GREAT! You can play them RIGHT NOW!

That doesnt really sound like deconstruction.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

youcallthatatwist posted:

e: actually speaking of undertale in japanese, i really want to work through it and see what the localization is like... susie using 俺 and lancer using 僕様 are kind of surprising but nevertheless fitting

I LOVE this

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

milk moosie posted:

Didn’t think a flippant post like that would piss so many people off. I apologize...

Hey, don't worry about it. Blame the flood of articles comparing everything to Trump, from Harry Potter to TJ Miller's weird rant about the Emoji Movie, for reflexively making people roll their eyes.

The world of Deltarune definitely feels less kind than Undertale's, and I know the current administration represents that for a lot of people for very good reason. But compared to, say, Life is Strange 2, it just feels a bit of a stretch to me to make that direct 1 to 1 conparison.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Question

Has anyone attempted a saveless run-through? I get the sneaking suspicion that it may change things, but I don't have the time at the moment to attempt one.

Yes. Changed nothing.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Waffleopolis posted:

I want Jevil's battle music to be performed by a fully orchestrated ska band.

Also you can't tell me that Ralsei would not be voiced by Griffin McElroy. I can only read his likes as Angus McDonald from The Adventure Zone. :colbert:

I'd be GOBSMACKED if it weren't already being worked on, I'm a member of a gaming music orchestra (wmgso.org if you're curious) and we made arrangements with toby fox to use his music after Undertale dropped. Dummy! turned out to be an absolutely insane crowd pleaser, and one of our composers cranked out an entire symphony that completely rocked.

Our discord server started bubbling with ideas for arranging the music for the orchestra about twenty minutes after the game became available for download.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jon Joe posted:

Yes. Changed nothing.

Alright, thanks!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yay I finally caught up! In all the talk about what's the deal with RK, did no one seriously mention yet that apart from the whole "rules card" thing, he looks like he tried to give himself a cool edgy Kingdom Hearts name? It's like DAARRK SOUL +X

Also, did anyone else feel bad after seeing his first block puzzle, and purposely wait and walk around aimlessly on his second puzzle to try and humor him and see if he'd say anything if it looked like you were actually struggling?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Bee posted:

Both of you guys make very good points. I do agree my Asriel-is-Undertale speculation is heavily just that: speculation. To be honest it flat out started as a joke about how the Deltarune conversation keeps coming back to Undertale, but then I thought about it and went "this might actually be an interesting idea." Would I have the same thought if Toby didn't make his twitter post? Probably not, tbh, but him putting his thoughts so clearly out there made it hard not to give the game a look through that lens. Whether you agree or disagree, I'm just happy it's at least gotten us talking.

I do also agree the Undertale characters, currently, exist to share that feeling of warped familiarity and subtle wrongness. And I absolutely think that's essential to a tale of feeling like an outsider in a place that was, and is, home. It flat out wouldn't work if we had Shmoriel and Shmasgore instead of the genuine articles. I just think the game's design elements, setting, and world tell a lot on that front too.

For example, ever notice you're the only teen wearing a striped shirt?

Not only that, but the stripped sweater Kris is wearing is Asriel's old sweater, the one he wears in the first game. Lots of symbolism there, seems like Kris both misses his brother and wishes he was a kid again.

milk moosie posted:

Didn't think a flippant post like that would piss so many people off. I apologize...

Yeah, sorry, that post had more to do with me than you. I kind of just used to as a jumping off point to vent about a bunch of stuff I've been seeing on Tumblr recently and also over the past three years that's annoyed me. Again, sorry, I should probably just stay off Tumblr :/

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bifauxnen posted:

yay I finally caught up! In all the talk about what's the deal with RK, did no one seriously mention yet that apart from the whole "rules card" thing, he looks like he tried to give himself a cool edgy Kingdom Hearts name? It's like DAARRK SOUL +X

Also, did anyone else feel bad after seeing his first block puzzle, and purposely wait and walk around aimlessly on his second puzzle to try and humor him and see if he'd say anything if it looked like you were actually struggling?

I think Rurukaado is a vehicle for Japanese puns.
Which might explain the worms?

And yeah same, I pushed the block back and forth fishing for a response.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

EdithUpwards posted:

do not get publishers to involve themselves in your self funded dream project

they're horrible people lacking the expertise to actually do a single desirable thing and if they're involved they can hold your passion project to ransom

*You open the Book of Chucklefish.*

*The rest of the pages are blank.*

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Not only that, but the stripped sweater Kris is wearing is Asriel's old sweater, the one he wears in the first game. Lots of symbolism there, seems like Kris both misses his brother and wishes he was a kid again.

Yeah, sorry, that post had more to do with me than you. I kind of just used to as a jumping off point to vent about a bunch of stuff I've been seeing on Tumblr recently and also over the past three years that's annoyed me. Again, sorry, I should probably just stay off Tumblr :/

Oh man, I totally missed that. I thought it was Chara's. It being literally a hand me down of Asriel's makes it even more important of a symbol, honestly. So is the fact that Monster Kid, the one who brings up striped shirts in Undertale, no longer wears one.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bifauxnen posted:

I you talk to him without doing the puzzle he'll brag about how stumped you clearly must be.

The best part is when he informs you that he still has one better puzzle left and when asked to show it just goes "...no" and runs off.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus loving Christ, the game was in development back in 2012. It's not some bullshit reactionary piece to Undertales's popularity or the state of the world, it's a pre-planned story with it's own independent themes and messages. It's not a loving Undertale deconstruction.

as somebody who already sees thematic evidence that deltarune is, in some way, a response to undertale: the meaning of things is not constructed whole in a vacuum by authors with perfect, clear, and authoritative vision

but I'll say this, if toby's "intent" was for it to be its own original story with its own set of themes that was in no way deconstructing undertale, he probably shouldn't and wouldn't have made it absolutely full of visual, textual, and musical references to undertale

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bee posted:

Oh man, I totally missed that. I thought it was Chara's. It being literally a hand me down of Asriel's makes it even more important of a symbol, honestly. So is the fact that Monster Kid, the one who brings up striped shirts in Undertale, no longer wears one.

To be fair, I think Chara and Asriel basically wear the same color shirt as far as I can remember. But in this case it being a hand me down from Asriel makes more sense.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Larryb posted:

To be fair, I think Chara and Asriel basically wear the same color shirt as far as I can remember. But in this case it being a hand me down from Asriel makes more sense.

The stripe is inverted, so the shirts literally complete each other :3:

Anyone have a quick sprite reference on hand?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Yanno, seeing as Deltarune was in the works since 2012, it's not at all a stretch to consider that Undertale and it's success may have influenced the work, either directly or indirectly. Nor does it diminish in any way what Deltarune set out to accomplish.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
to put it another way if I made a horror movie about a deranged sleep therapist named "Ruddy Reefer Keg" who, by night, donned a striped sweater, fedora, and knife glove, half the conversation around it would be understandably attempting to decipher its relationship to a nightmare on elm street (and warner/new line would sue the poo poo out of me)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Monster Kid no longer wears a striped shirt because now they're Monster Teen :colbert:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Mew Mew: Kissy Cutie 2 can be a related project to Mew Mew: Kissy Cutie without being a deconstruction of it

edit: deltarune is a game where kids go into a secret magical world, change appearance, gain weapons and powers, and save the world through the power of friendship. Deltarune is a magical girl anime.

Susie is a magical girl.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 2, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll add that "undertale but trump is president" to me is more a joking way of saying that it'll explore undertale's themes of positivity, perseverance and non-violence in a world that has made it harder and harder to stick to those feelings since UT was released.

Plus what was said above: if Toby didn't want the themes of Undertale to reflect on this game, well, we wouldn't have used the characters from Undertale.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Cephas posted:

Susie is a magical girl.

Susie is best magical girl.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
also man idk if it's using a keyboard and being rusty, or I'm just rear end, but I'm making slower pogress on jevil than I did sans

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Your Computer posted:

Monster Kid no longer wears a striped shirt because now they're Monster Teen :colbert:

Exactly! If the less stumpy sprites didn't start to sell me on that fact, Monster Teen's rad mohawk and totally mature poncho tipped me off right afterwards.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cephas posted:

Susie is a magical girl.

Lock the thread this is the only theory that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GeneX posted:

I don't know if this a joke or not, but if it isn't, where is this stream, goddamn

Here's one of frankie's streams. The pixel art is pretty top notch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/326633008