Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
At the end of the day, he's still a really old dude, and he's going to do some really old dude things. If I recall correctly, every morning he counts out exact change in bills and coins to buy his sausage McMuffin at McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
If these after market numbers stick it looks like Apple's gonna drag everyone down with them

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nnnotime posted:

I got the impression Buffett let one of his staff members make the case for buying AAPL, perhaps to build up confidence in his possible successors. The reason being is that Buffett typically is seen in public using most products from companies that he invests in, if possible. Like pictures of Buffett from the past few years enjoying a Cherry Coke or other Coke products to quench his thirst at public events.

But I never saw pictures or videos of Buffett using an iPhone, up to and after the AAPL purchase, which made me believe he wasn't fully engaged in the AAPL investment decision.

Case in point: an article from this past May about the iPhoneX that Buffett received and was too scared to use ???
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-got-an-iphone-x--but-he-hasnt-worked-up-the-courage-to-use-it.html

Which is flat-out ignorant of Buffett. If Buffett had used the iPhone for 6 months and tried out the App Store, and built up some empirical evidence to understand AAPL's industry better, perhaps he would have limited the AAPL investment instead of piling more funds into it.

Even my 80+ year-old mother enjoys and is addicted to her iPhone, so I'm genuinely baffled why Buffett was scared to use his generous iPhone gift.

Old people don't have functional brains.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I sold my BRK/B at open on Wednesday so fuuuuck AAPL. The KO earnings/AAPL hype plan worked out. If he was any other old man he'd be kicked out of NFM for holding blizzards upside down over everything.

I'm really a fan tbh but AAPL is absurd.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At the end of the day, he's still a really old dude, and he's going to do some really old dude things. If I recall correctly, every morning he counts out exact change in bills and coins to buy his sausage McMuffin at McDonald's.
I do this :mad: but I'm not rich yet??

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.
BPL div cut as expected. Guesses on the day's swing?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

fougera posted:

Unless The print looks absolutely horrible, I imagine the stock is going to work.

$AAPL call aged well

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Admiral101 posted:

BPL div cut as expected. Guesses on the day's swing?

think they made all the right moves. Exited the Marine terminal business (less predictable cash flows than their pipeline and storage business that has been their bread and butter for 20+ years). Cut the dividend enough to keep it funded and also fund expansion via cash instead of equity issue. It's about what I expected. Premarket is more or less giving up yesterday's gain. Now up big after open- this is about what I hoped would happen

WTW an absolute dumpster fire

Covered my AAPL calls for a big gain but lost on the QQQ puts. Was ready to dump them at the open where I would have gotten over .90 per, but held like an idiot and got out of them at .65. average price was 1.07

Edit: goddamnit... I can't believe I let "them" headfake me

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 2, 2018

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

nnnotime posted:

I got the impression Buffett let one of his staff members make the case for buying AAPL, perhaps to build up confidence in his possible successors. The reason being is that Buffett typically is seen in public using most products from companies that he invests in, if possible. Like pictures of Buffett from the past few years enjoying a Cherry Coke or other Coke products to quench his thirst at public events.

But I never saw pictures or videos of Buffett using an iPhone, up to and after the AAPL purchase, which made me believe he wasn't fully engaged in the AAPL investment decision.

Case in point: an article from this past May about the iPhoneX that Buffett received and was too scared to use ???
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-got-an-iphone-x--but-he-hasnt-worked-up-the-courage-to-use-it.html

Which is flat-out ignorant of Buffett. If Buffett had used the iPhone for 6 months and tried out the App Store, and built up some empirical evidence to understand AAPL's industry better, perhaps he would have limited the AAPL investment instead of piling more funds into it.

Even my 80+ year-old mother enjoys and is addicted to her iPhone, so I'm genuinely baffled why Buffett was scared to use his generous iPhone gift.

Buffet has been playing the “kindly old farm billionaire” schtick for like 20 years now.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Well Robinhood isnt letting me sell my options so i might be SoL here

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

greasyhands posted:

What? The phone isn't monitoring heart rate and tracking sleep (accurately- a smartphone by your pillow is not accurate) and won't monitor glucose, blood pressure and other things going forward. The phone is the interface to the device and Garmin and Fitbit are the only good platform agnostic solutions right now. Again, I'm not saying long FIT, but I dunno what you're talking about saying a phone does everything a wrist monitor does. I get an actual discount on my insurance through work for wearing a fitbit- they won't give the same discount for my phone pedometer. Do you actually use one?

Fair enough but I see no barrier to entry into this and as another user pointed out Apple are also trying to enter the wellness section with some of Apple watch's features. They even have partnerships with some glucose, blood monitoring companies and sell their devices on their official apple retail/online stores.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

So, while i pray that the robinhood decides to fix their system really, really soon is there another service all of you would recommend for options trading?

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

I could sell my options for a 160 dollar profit right now, the timing on this is absolutley fantastic.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Chaosfirev posted:

I could sell my options for a 160 dollar profit right now, the timing on this is absolutley fantastic.

That's a good meal n drinks, do it!

BPL rebounding nicely.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Woodchip posted:

That's a good meal n drinks, do it!

BPL rebounding nicely.

I couldnt, options trading was down. Robinhood just fixed the issue but its too late.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chaosfirev posted:

Well Robinhood isnt letting me sell my options so i might be SoL here

Why not

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
So yesterday's runup was triggered by Trump tweeting that things were going well regarding trade discussions with China. Today, his staff denied Trump's statement and everything is dropping back down.

What is this universe.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Everyone is losing their minds

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-iran-sanctions-game-of-thrones-2018-11

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

They had an outage, option trading was down across the board.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chaosfirev posted:

classic robinhood

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

So twice now I've had one option of a spread exercised on me way early (read 2 weeks for one and 5 months for another). RobinHood has decided both times to cover the margin call by exercising the option purchased for protection rather than just selling the assigned shares and selling the purchased protection option.

Why do they do this? Their strategy guarentees the max loss on that spread rather than a smaller loss that would be had if they just sold the components individually. Just because some fool wants to exercise their purchased option super early, why does that mean I am forced to do the same? I understand that I will be forced to take a loss because the margin call needs to be covered ASAP, but it doesn't need to be the max loss.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

classic robinhood

Classic Peg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzNp2Vq7CQ

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Zerstorung posted:

So yesterday's runup was triggered by Trump tweeting that things were going well regarding trade discussions with China. Today, his staff denied Trump's statement and everything is dropping back down.

What is this universe.

We live in a cartoon world. :vince:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Chaosfirev posted:

You get what you pay for

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Covered my WTW short and am starting a big NVDA short

edit: big spike the second i shorted NVDA, how does that happen so much

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Robin hood takes from the rich, gives to the board (of directors)

e: WMT trading at 60x earnings, what?

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 2, 2018

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
This market action gives me no confidence. I’ve been selling any position that I’m not in love with.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

You get what you pay for

Seeing as this is still happening after like a year, if you call yourself a brokerage there's kindof the expectation or implied promise that you can make a trade in short order somehow barring some major circumstances. Report that nonsense to the FINRA because that's the only way I got them to even balance my account after my mishaps with them. They literally didn't know until the FINRA forced a human to figure it.

E: I guess the money they save on redundancy probably covers any handful of claims against them.

I bought short term QQQ puts (nov regular 165s I think?) when it went below about 169.50. I'm planning on selling around 165 in short order, let's see ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 2, 2018

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Are the brokerage's on the first post still good suggestions or are there better options if I'm looking to just mess with options.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I think that list is pretty old. I like my TD Ameritrade account but I pay for it dearly. Ally is also cheap, but their interface is god awful (and I had to call and unlock my account after they detected that my clock was set to UTC...). I've heard good things about etrade in this thread and otherwise, but I haven't tried them.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
That etrade review in the OP is mine and I moved on from them long ago. The OP hasnt been updated in 8 years...its hard to believe this thread is that old, holy moly

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Zerstorung posted:

What is this universe.

Maybe the stock market is reacting to ongoing earnings and economic factors and not the twitter ranting of idiot politicians.

The 10-year treasury spiked nearly ten basis points today with the 2-year not far behind. The jobs report showed significant wage growth for the first time and I think investors are spooked about inflation and this economic cycle reaching a late stage.

We seem to be in this see-saw pattern between tech/momentum stocks and the rest of the market. Today was a "rest of the market" day with yesterday a tech day.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 2, 2018

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
If you're looking for an options broker Tastyworks is cheap as hell and I've never had issues with it. It doesn't have all the gizmos like Think or Swim but let's be honest we out here gamblin' and it's great for that

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

tminz posted:

If you're looking for an options broker Tastyworks is cheap as hell and I've never had issues with it. It doesn't have all the gizmos like Think or Swim but let's be honest we out here gamblin' and it's great for that

Im trying to find their fee structure, is it 1 dollar per contract to buy/sell?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Anyone joining the class action against IGC?

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Ill try, i sold about 3 weeks ago and made 100 dollars so i dont know if I would be included haha

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I stayed in a bit longer on a gamble, didn't lose too much fun money, but :shrug:.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Girbot posted:

I stayed in a bit longer on a gamble, didn't lose too much fun money, but :shrug:.

I bought 69 shares of the weed stock because of memes in feburary. Whenever my friends would brag about their dividends i would brag about the meme stock (usually at a 50% loss).

Then in september when they brought up dividends I went to make a joke and suddenly it was at 1.50 so i sold it immediately.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

Chaosfirev posted:

Im trying to find their fee structure, is it 1 dollar per contract to buy/sell?

https://tastyworks.com/pricing.html

1 dollar to open and then a few cents to close.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

tminz posted:

I've been pretty happy with interactive brokers as well and i think their minimum balance stuff may be going away / gone too?

I've only really used it for futures options though so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IB is still pretty pricey unless you maintain a >100k liquidation value though.