Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Brood War isn't really balanced by virtue of each side being asymmetrical yet equal but rather by clever map design by third-parties. For instance when Starcraft was originally released the now traditional structure of starting positions having a close ramp was not ubiquitous - plenty of the original Blizzard maps designed for multiplayer have completely open starting positions or only have choke points miles away from the base. Great maps cleverly designed to get the best out of the game is what really made Starcraft viable as a competitive game. Apart from the base game nothing that Blizzard did had any effect on turning Starcraft into ultimately the game with the best pro-scene ever.

Warcraft 3 is a better balanced game in a vacuum but the maps never got as well defined as they did for Starcraft (probably due to Blizzard being aware of the pro-scene and keeping tighter control over it). The fact that Warcraft 3 had a healthy and vibrant pro-scene (featuring periods of dominance for every race) for many years while largely relying on unaltered Blizzard ladder maps is testament to how well the game is balanced, especially considering the difficulty of balancing 4 factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
The thread hasn't focused enough on what a massive change the addition of True Widescreen is and DOUBLING the maximum playercount from 12 to 24. I just got done doing a 1v23 Insane AIs FFA and holy poo poo it was literally a 7th grade boyhood fantasy come true. The new colors are dope as gently caress (I chose Maroon humans) and it was just a blast, towered Snow colored night elves like a bitch, had to harvest in low upkeep to survive attacks from green undead, turquoise orcs, black orcs, Brown night elves, purple humans. Chose the 'madness on the barrens' custom 24p map so actually the gold supply was kinda tight, had to build a buncha morts and arcane towers to scout the remaining mines. And the final battle was against Violet undead and Mint night elves. In the end, sped around with Mass Teleport, legion of doomhorn, jango of endurance, a big army and a bunch of tanks to clean up the buildings. Final Gametime: 2:07:05, Units killed: 581, Buildings razed: 287, Heroes killed: 40. But it felt like about 45 minutes. I realize its not hard or impressive but it was stupidly fun. Also I've found the game can handle 24 insane AIs just as long as the map is open and the AI can path the way it wants to. If you go hide in a corner with all the AIs against you, like FunnyWarcraft3 did in a 1v23 AIs game (exponentially harder than what I did ofc) then the pathing fucks and the FPS drops to 0. It's a game engine limitation. Still haven't assessed lagginess in a game with an insane number of units like WW3, hopefully some of those engine limits were improved upon.

btw, the official new color names, courtesy of the 1.29.0b patch notes:
Player 13 - Maroon (AWESOME, people will call it Dark Red.)
Player 14 - Navy (AWESOME, remember it looks like Dark Blue. Maybe should be called that?)
Player 15 - Turquoise (AWESOME, but confusable with Teal! Just remember its brighter)
Player 16 - Violet (AWESOME, just remember its like pink but way brighter!)
Player 17 - Wheat (AWESOME, surprisingly. Maybe they should call it sand? People might call it tan)
Player 18 - Peach (AWESOME, could also be called Salmon.)
Player 19 - Mint (AWESOME, people will call it Light Green.)
Player 20 - Lavender (Fine, though I had no idea what color this was until I looked it up!)
Player 21 - Coal (Fine, but why can't they call it black? I guess because True black is creeps)
Player 22 - Snow (Fine, but why can't they call it white? I guess because your base/units are white on the minimap. Also I think some of the buildings textures are misaligned on this one, undead ziggurats look white but the Necropolis looks like light blue. Think they were going for Lordaeron's light blue color from WC2)
Player 23 - Emerald (This color is OK, but its too confusable with green and dark green. There are 4 greens now!) - maybe replace with Dark Yellow, Gold, Light Red, or Superdark Reddish-brown. Ultradark black-blue is another option.
Player 24 - Peanut (AWESOME, not sure if people will call it Dark Orange or Light Brown, I'd guess the latter. People might even call it tan or dark tan.)

Just having these new colors is INCREDIBLE I feel like I've entered a baskin robbins for the first time and can choose from a bunch of colorful zesty new flavors. Or like I bought a bag of Tropical skittles for the first time after only having original. Every custom I play from now on I'm choosing from the new colors.
Fortunately the original 12 colors were left alone. I can recognize all 24 now but it helps I had 16 years to learn the original 12, from countless FFAs, 6v6s, Europa's, LOTRs, 12p TDs, footman frenzies, Risks, WW3s and more. If I were new it would be WAY harder.

BTW if anyone has issues with the patch: You can repair your install using the War3 launcher in its directory. Remember to backup your customkeys first. Seems like they finally got rid of the last remnant of the CD nag. Only issue I have now is re-setting the resolution every time I run the game but thats minor.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 19, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, have any of the bugfix patches fixed the campaign? I know it was borked for a bit.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Out of wonder, have any of the bugfix patches fixed the campaign? I know it was borked for a bit.

I notice people are still complaining about it on the forums so I don't think so. I think it's only the Rexxar campaign that has huge crashing problems because it's the one that's played across multiple maps. So you should be mostly fine if you just play the other campaigns.

I just hope they patch the matchmaking system to make it more lenient with who you match with, because as it is it can take up to 40min to find a 4v4 game.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 20, 2018

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Fanatic posted:

I just hope they patch the matchmaking system to make it more lenient with who you match with, because as it is it can take up to 40min to find a 4v4 game.

They did! No idea what the actual changes are or if they helped, though!

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

I beat Insane AIs in a 1v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v1, took 3:30. Did it on a hard map too (Island Expedition), no islands to run to, had to be pretty clever. Beating teams of two was a fun challenge, not incredible but a definite step up from FFA. I set the AIs to be all 10 combinations of 2 races, Hu-Hu, Hu-Orc, etc. Final opponent was Hu-Orc, naturally. They rocked my armies a few times 3 hours in, even with a perfect 100 food army it was difficult to beat both of them together in a straight-up fight. One of the teams got screwed up somehow and was actually a team of 4, I didn't realize and it almost cost me the game an hour in. I checked the alliances before I started, probably I missed it but there could also be an occasional bug with the alliance logic like there is with the spawn position logic in 24p games. Fortunately I didn't spawn next to that team and they got unlucky, sacked heavily not long in and turned into a team of 2.5. As expected the game DID NOT lag because the map layout was open and the AIs could path. I also played as the white humans because I play as the white humans IRL.

I'll probably at least attempt 1v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v2 at some point but unless the map is really favorable or I hide in some unpathable area it will test me to my limits.

I recommend returning veterans to try at least one 1v23 Insane AI FFA, Few RTS games allow for so many players so it’s a neat thing to experience. Pretty straightforward to survive in an FFA, though if you don’t build some static defense you risk losing to bad luck – you can easily have 5, 6, 7, 9 Insane AIs attack your base in the span of a few minutes, even a pro would have difficulty surviving that without static defense in the midgame. Remember the Insane AIs get double gold income, so they can rebuild several times after getting wiped out even on onebase, though they spend their cheated gold gradually if deprived of income. Critically the AI's can see the entire map, it's been tested, so 'always visible' is a good game setting, also makes cleanup at the end much faster. In terms of 24p maps (PVP or vs AI) I recommend Madness in the Barrens, Island Expedition, Ace of Spades. Market Squares also works with the AI but the layout is kinda boring. Certain versions of Divide & Conquer XL are good but the best one I got from a lobby host and they're hard to tell apart.

On the custom’s front I was disappointed, none of the bothosted games I've seen thus far took advantage of playerslots 13+. I guess mapmakers are still working on that. I see potential in hero-oriented games using them but the problem is the playerbase has declined too much. It would’ve been awesome if we’d gotten this back in 2011. I bet I’ll get in on some massive games at some point though, wtiicraft has some good youtube vids of 24p games. Also replays play up to 32X speed now.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 20, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What level were your heroes.

How would you go about testing to see if the AI has all view

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

How would you go about testing to see if the AI has all view

I've been playing a bit of 24 Insane AI games myself and in ones where I have them as allies I notice they tend to ping enemy expansions regularly, despite them being unexplored.

So either the Insanes want to creep something on the other side of the map for no reason (judging how stupid the AI is it wouldn't surprise me), or they have All Visible and want to take out the expo.

There's a mod called AMAI which gives the AI different strategies and whatnot that I used to play around with back in the day. I haven't tried it with the new patch and I'm on a Mac so it'd be too much of a hassle anyway, but it looks like the player edition still works - http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=110688

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

People tested this scientifically, and it 100% lines up with my experience. There's no doubt whatsoever the AI can see the entire map. As I understand it they tested maps with lots of choices and consistently saw the AI choose paths that led to enemy/player bases without scouting. The AI makes a choice about what it wants to do, usually it will be creeping/expanding/attacking somebody else but if it wants to attack you, it goes straight to your base without scouting. On huge maps the distinction if obvious - in one scenario the AI creeps short to mid distances around its base, the attack scenario will see it go all the way to the completely unscouted opposite side of the map.

One little secret is the AI always pings, even when playing on a team by itself (you can see this if you look at a replay from the AI's perspective). Goes without saying you always end up with 3 level 10 heroes by the end of a giant compstomp.

I was reading about AMAI last week but was disappointed it can't integrate into the game anymore, at least that part hasn't been updated. It has to be enabled for a specific map, which I still plan to try. I'll start with a 23 Insane AMAI game as a stress test, if that works everything lesser should too.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 29, 2018

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUIMxTURbM

Orcs were very mean back then

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

Make WC4 in the vein of what they were planning with WC3 in early development. If done well, I'd kinda like to see how a competitive scene of the sort would go.

The RPG-RTS hybrid they were making before they switched WC3 to a regular RTS sounded really cool. Sort of like a King's Bounty game except in real time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Node posted:

The RPG-RTS hybrid they were making before they switched WC3 to a regular RTS sounded really cool. Sort of like a King's Bounty game except in real time.

Something like Sacrifice?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Please forgive the utterly shameless smugpost but I have nowhere else to put it :(

The competiton on Battle.net aint what it used to be but this game is still fun as hell, my personal favourite ever. Looking forward to 1.30.

Bonus salt:

(after winning a fight, assuming he had won)

Followed up by a barrage of post-game PMs making vague threats and wishing cancer upon me and all my relatives. :allears:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Patch 1.30 is live!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How the gently caress do I get widescreen resolutions, did widescreen support get removed? Am I a big dumbass?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

General Battuta posted:

How the gently caress do I get widescreen resolutions, did widescreen support get removed? Am I a big dumbass?

Are you talking about in-game or the menus? The menus were reverted to 4:3 with black bars but in-game it should be widescreen.

Otherwise you might be on an old patch of the game (like maybe you're using an old CD) in which case I suggest you register your CD key to your Blizzard account and download the game from the battle.net website.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What possible spawns are there for 2v2 on Turtle rock? Left v Right for sure but are the top spawns ever pitted against bottom spawns? Or some diagonal arrangement?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
It's always top vs bottom.

e: wait I'm confused now. The person in the "close spawn" position will always be your teammate.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow that was fast. Yeah I meant having an enemy at close spawn for both sides.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
hey fellow war3 fans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zfx5hQ3CE

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hail to the motherfucking king.

CAN

NOT

WAIT

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some of those animations are terrible. None of the attacks look like they have any weight to them.

Compare the Tauren swinging at the building 14 seconds in. His totem just gracefully floats a 180 degree arc on his wrist with no impact or sense of inertia. Uther's warhammer strikes are the same way.

Compare them to the animations found http://classic.battle.net/war3/orc/units/tauren.shtml and http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/paladin.shtml where it looks like their attacks have some weight to them.

Yeah it's a while away, but some of that doesn't look very good at all at this point.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I beg for campaign co-op

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This'll be fun. I was thinking of playing Warcraft 3 again soon so I guess I'll just wait for this. I'm very excited for the multiplayer scene though. Talking about BurbTD, elemental TD, tower wars, FFORPG, ToB, vampirism/island defense. I'm very excited.

Diablo 2 remake when.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have bought warcraft 3 three times, the second time because my brother melted the discs and I got a new computer, the third because I forgot my original battle.net login, so gently caress it I'll buy this a 4th time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Some of those animations are terrible. None of the attacks look like they have any weight to them.

Compare the Tauren swinging at the building 14 seconds in. His totem just gracefully floats a 180 degree arc on his wrist with no impact or sense of inertia. Uther's warhammer strikes are the same way.

Compare them to the animations found http://classic.battle.net/war3/orc/units/tauren.shtml and http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/paladin.shtml where it looks like their attacks have some weight to them.

Yeah it's a while away, but some of that doesn't look very good at all at this point.

I agree with this though, I much prefer the weight and impact of the original animations. They look like they're doing the WoW thing of swinging vaguely in the enemies' direction with no impact point because you can't be sure of the exact angle the opponent is at.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 2, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At the very least, we can hope that animations improve before release - they do say art and such aren't finalized right there in the trailer.

But yes, this has me very excited. HD Warcraft 3!

I wonder if any of the old Warcraft 3 custom content will be compatible with Reforged, or if people who wanna make custom content for it will have to start from scratch?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-ordered Reforged as soon as it became available. So excited to be able to play Warcraft 3 again and in 4K.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Oh, great. Just look at all that. This feels like Starcraft HD all over again. :effort:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
gently caress yeah dude. I'm of the opinion that WC3's single player stuff is way, way more enjoyable to play through again than Starcraft 1's was. Really glad to see this getting a re-release.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazetheInferno posted:

At the very least, we can hope that animations improve before release - they do say art and such aren't finalized right there in the trailer.

But yes, this has me very excited. HD Warcraft 3!

I wonder if any of the old Warcraft 3 custom content will be compatible with Reforged, or if people who wanna make custom content for it will have to start from scratch?

From the official press release via Wowhead
https://www.wowhead.com/news=288360/warcraft-iii-reforged-what-we-know-pricing-spoils-of-war-edition-and-more

Blizzard posted:

Warcraft III’s dedicated community of mapmakers has kept the game thriving since it launched in 2002, and Reforged boasts an improved World Editor highly influenced by an ongoing dialogue with this talented group of creators. With countless new tools and features, the World Editor will set mapmakers free to craft new universes for players to enjoy. Existing custom maps will be playable in Reforged, and players will be able to use the new matchmaker to find partners or opponents for traditional melee and custom games.

definitely going to try and finish that advance wars port I started when the last big patch hit.

e: ummm, so about that editor revamp...
cause the current one is a little broken in 4k

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 2, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Dude, I can't wait to see Rise of the Blood Elves and Curse of the Forsaken in Reforged, then.

...Though anything with Custom models and textures will... obviously require some work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I definitely wasn't expecting them to actually remodel everything.

All they need now is remastered/remade cinematics (not the animatic poo poo Starcraft got) and I'll buy and play the poo poo out of the campaign.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm just hoping the new editor does the thing the wc2 editor did with the wow models, so we get a huge variety to play with. Think of all the maps that used those lovely custom made starcraft models and imagine them with the real deal.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I definitely wasn't expecting them to actually remodel everything.

All they need now is remastered/remade cinematics (not the animatic poo poo Starcraft got) and I'll buy and play the poo poo out of the campaign.

Well it does look like the cinematics are redone which is p cool

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The remodels look amazing. So excited for this release.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, hot drat.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They're talking about beefing up the animations right now, so maybe it'll be okay later.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
It's an interesting style choice to go for way more realistic portrait and unit animations. The more 'cartoony' style seemed to be a hallmark of the game and carried over into WoW. It's especially funny when certain cut-scenes in the latest expansion had super over the top talking animations as a nod to War3 and Starcraft, and now this remake has gone totally the other way. Looks great though.

I wish they would do an HD remake of War2. I know the game play doesn't hold up or whatever but that's till my favourite. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That is a lot more effort than I expected them to put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The line for the demo at blizzcon is way longer than I thought it would be. Game looks great though.