Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get a Dot for the oven, and a Smoke for the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get a Dot for the oven, and a Smoke for the grill.

Empty quote.

I have the more expensive one, but I bought my BIL the Dot, and I wish I had that one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hello goons, it's a crappy day here and I want to make a nice apple pie, can you point me at a good recipe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dreadmojo posted:

Hello goons, it's a crappy day here and I want to make a nice apple pie, can you point me at a good recipe?

I don't use a recipe, but I'm a big fan of cooking the apples down on the stove first. Butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, maybe some cardamom if you're feeling saucy. Eliminates the risk of a runny pie, and you can get the flavor right before you bake it. Also eliminates the risk of the top crust setting before the apples have settled, leaving you with a big hollow under the top crust.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just use my smoke indoors as well as outdoors, definitely don’t need more than 1 in my experience. I also have a thermapen for verifying.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

dreadmojo posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/gooey-deep-dish-apple-pie-recipe.html

I use that one but add a tsp each ginger and nutmeg as well as upping the cinnamon to 2tsp. It works. Parcooking the apples helps it a lot.

If you just want easy pie, follow the recipe bit don't parcook the apples. It'll turn out a bit runny but still tasty.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Awesome, i'll post a photo of my glorious success or shameful failure

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

dreadmojo posted:

Use whatever recipe you want, but an Alton Brown trick that I've embraced is to use a blend of apple varieties. Ones like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp are going to hold up well, and stay firm after being cooked, while ones like MacIntosh, Gala, and Fuji will have a lot more "apple-y" flavor, but get softer. Golden Delicious is going to give a good sweet kick to it. Personally, I like running a blend of Honeycrisp, Gala, and Cortland.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
DutNiqgzgilLLHqtmmmm

E: whoops! Pocket post! :)

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 3, 2018

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I’m in the market for a new pressure cooker, should I just buy an Instant Pot instead?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hawkgirl posted:

I’m in the market for a new pressure cooker, should I just buy an Instant Pot instead?

Yes. At this point, the only reason to get a stovetop pressure-cooking system is if you're going to be pressure canning. And those are generally much larger than a standard pressure-cooker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I would pay exorbitant sums for a high end electric pressure cooker. Like something Kuhn Rikon or Zojirushi would make. IPs are great, but the temperature control isn't exactly there, and the overall feel isn't quite up to KR levels.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hawkgirl posted:

Yes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hawkgirl posted:

If I were buying a new pressure cooker I wouldn't buy an IP, because I prefer something that doesn't take up its own counter space, or its own plug (or even any electricity at all). I also don't know if you can cool an IP down by pouring water on it like you can with a normal pressure cooker, and I like doing that. So if I were buying one I would not get an IP. But clearly people disagree, so in this case it's up to you to decide.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Well it's got less cooking surface than a traditional pressure cooker so browning can be kind of annoying, and it's electric which means much less heat control, and it's pretty annoying to wash compared to a normal pressure cooker but on the plus side it also kind of functions as a tiny, oddly shaped crock pot and also maybe a rice cooker?

EDIT: Oh yeah, it also has dozens of buttons you will never press like a early 2000s microwave.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like electric pressure cookers are safer for clueless idiots and I am a clueless idiot.

Since different pressure cookers reach different levels of pressure and need different recipes or adjustments, imo it makes sense to get the cooker that the most recipes are written for, which is the instant pot.

I waited for a Black Friday sale and got mine for under $100 (which is my usual bar for kitchen gadgets of questionable use). I don't use it all the time, but it is handy, especially for applications where you don't want to pour heat into the kitchen for hours.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Hawkgirl posted:

I have both a Presto 8 qt stovetop and an 8 qt Instant Pot.

The Instant Pot is easier to use because I don't have to adjust the temperature every few minutes -- it manages its own pressure without anyone having to babysit the thing. Its upper PSI is a bit lower than that of most stovetops (so it can take a bit longer to cook), but that's never been a huge issue for me.

I will say that the IP will not do all pressure-cooker recipes without adjustments -- I once did a PC chicken and rice dish from Cook's Illustrated exactly as written, and the IP instantly burned it, and none of my adjustment attempts have worked. So I'm less trusting than most of making certain recipes in the Instant Pot, unless they were specifically written FOR the device. For making general things like stock or dried beans, however, it's been great.

I guess it's an issue of ease of use and versatility versus the quality ceiling. The IP can sauté and pressure cook, but it doesn't do them as well as a stovetop PC. The IP can do things other than pressure cook, but it generally doesn't do them as well as devices designed specifically for the job. It's the classic "jack of many trades, master of none."

I'd say to just get a good stovetop PC if you're comfortable working with them, don't mind the babysitting, and don't particularly need the other functions. But for anything else, an IP will likely serve its purpose well enough.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
An extremely pro tip for instant pot users: you can put the inner pot on your stove to sear and sauté stuff.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This was all good advice, thanks peeps. The Instant Pot Duo is $70 on Amazon today for some reason and I mostly use my pressure cooker to make lentils and cook chicken thighs. I also have a rice cooker that's seen better days, so it seemed like the right move to go Instant Pot. It appears Fagor doesn't make the pressure cooker I had anymore anyway :smith:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm beginning the initial planning of my thanksgiving menu. for the past couple of years I've done roast brussel sprouts for the main vegetable dish. it's a solid classic, but it was never a mainstay when i was growing up and i'm starting to get bored of it. any suggestions for a replacement veggie dish to cut through all the protein, carbs and starches of the holiday season?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would pay exorbitant sums for a high end electric pressure cooker. Like something Kuhn Rikon or Zojirushi would make. IPs are great, but the temperature control isn't exactly there, and the overall feel isn't quite up to KR levels.
Have you looked at the All-Clad?

This isn't a recommendation; I don't own one myself and don't really see the need for an electric pressure cooker myself (high end or otherwise). Just throwing it out there because one of its ostensible selling points is precision temperature and pressure control.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah a lot of the buttons on my IP Duo+ don't get used, but I'd say about half of them do? Honestly I just program most of the editable ones to different times so I'm not just manually pressure cooking everything, every time.

The yogurt button, though? :discourse:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Stupid question, but does anyone else have a hard time finding good garlic?

Seriously, even the stuff at Whole Foods around here is either moldy, beat up, or sprouted. Am I being too picky?

The only place I've been able to find good garlic is at a local meat shop. It's pretty much always pristine... not a speck of mold on the bottom (or more importantly under the paper) and never sprouted unless I keep it at home for too long.

Is there something I'm missing at the store? I only go through the loose bins... I have seen stuff in packages/nets, but I guess I've never looked at it close.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I pressure cook beans every week for weekday meal prep. The past two weeks, it's taken over an hour of pressure cooking Publix-brand light red kidney beans to get them nice and soft. I'm cooking them from dry. Would the long cook time be mostly due to the store-brand beans being old, or could it be my pressure cooker (Presto 8 qt. stainless)?

During cooking, the function of the pressure cooker is normal and I'm getting the regular amount of steam. The only variable is the brand of beans, and I've had success with Publix beans in the past without issue, so I'm not sure what the underlying cause could be.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
age of the beans is a very real possibility

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Seriously, even the stuff at Whole Foods around here is either moldy, beat up, or sprouted. Am I being too picky?

The only place I've been able to find good garlic is at a local meat shop. It's pretty much always pristine... not a speck of mold on the bottom (or more importantly under the paper) and never sprouted unless I keep it at home for too long.

Is there something I'm missing at the store? I only go through the loose bins... I have seen stuff in packages/nets, but I guess I've never looked at it close.

The supply chain of garlic is pretty complicated, so I won't even begin to speculate. But there could be a few things at play. Garlic comes in either hardneck or softneck varieties. The hardneck varieties have the tough flower stalk in the center and large cloves surrounding it. The softneck varieties are full of cloves and without a stalk. The hardneck varieties can store for ~6 months or less and softneck for a little longer under optimal conditions (near-freezing and relatively dry). China is the largest producer, and I gather that they have a harvest in spring, and probably in fall too since it's triggered partly by day length. So it could be that you're just getting the tail end of some garlic from China, or the tail end of some domestic hardneck varieties from July, or the garlic was improperly transported and started to sprout (cool temperatures and high humidity will encourage sprouting).

In my experience it can be a crapshoot, so I don't think you're missing anything. You may get bad cloves at the store for a month or two and then they get in a better shipment of good garlic. Not much you can do other than shop around and look for good looking garlic that's heavy for its size and not obviously messed up.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DaveSauce posted:

I'm in a totally different part of the world so this may not be any use at all, buuut I've found shops with a high turnover of garlic (in my country, that would be asian supermarkets) have fresher and better stuff than ordinary shops.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I pressure cook beans every week for weekday meal prep. The past two weeks, it's taken over an hour of pressure cooking Publix-brand light red kidney beans to get them nice and soft. I'm cooking them from dry. Would the long cook time be mostly due to the store-brand beans being old, or could it be my pressure cooker (Presto 8 qt. stainless)?

During cooking, the function of the pressure cooker is normal and I'm getting the regular amount of steam. The only variable is the brand of beans, and I've had success with Publix beans in the past without issue, so I'm not sure what the underlying cause could be.

Are you using plenty of water for the beans? I used to have a big problem with undercooked beans until I started giving them a lot of headroom, then they cooked more consistently and better. That's part of why I like soaking them, it's super easy to judge how much water to put in. Cover the beans, plus like an inch or something. Maybe less than an inch, I've never measured it and usually go by feel.

But sometimes you do just get some old beans.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Eeyo posted:

In my experience it can be a crapshoot, so I don't think you're missing anything. You may get bad cloves at the store for a month or two and then they get in a better shipment of good garlic. Not much you can do other than shop around and look for good looking garlic that's heavy for its size and not obviously messed up.

Well at least I'm not alone in this. Nothing is more frustrating than to buy a decent looking head, get home, start prepping everything, and then find out that hiding under the paper is either a bunch of fuzzy mold or a bunch of green stalks.

I still keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge for days like that.

Pookah posted:

I'm in a totally different part of the world so this may not be any use at all, buuut I've found shops with a high turnover of garlic (in my country, that would be asian supermarkets) have fresher and better stuff than ordinary shops.

We have a pretty good asian market in the area, so I'll give them a shot next time I'm there. I don't get there often, but they have a decent produce section. Usually there for other things, so I've never really looked through it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here how the IP works, put stuff in pot, press manual and number minutes, put on lid, it beeps when done. After dinner remove the liner and wash it. You even put it in the dishwasher. These complaints about pressure, temp, washing, recipes; I've never experienced. There was a recipe posted in the pressure cooker thread that people kept saying didn't work in an IP so I made it and it was perfect.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pookah posted:

This is my experience as well. Your local Walmart probably sells as much garlic in a week as Whole Foods does in a month so it’s generally fresher.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Here in Germany you either get hard dry garlic bulbs with papery skin year round, or firm and juicy bulbs with large cloves and thick skin that peels right off that are more seasonal. The latter have popped up only in recent years but they're so much better I can't even go back to the other variety anymore. It tastes like basements and dust, while you can snack on the fresh stuff raw if you want. I'd rather use garlic powder or pickled cloves when it's not in season. Neither is great, but better than the dead dry stuff.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My Lovely Horse posted:

Here in Germany you either get hard dry garlic bulbs with papery skin year round, or firm and juicy bulbs with large cloves and thick skin that peels right off that are more seasonal. The latter have popped up only in recent years but they're so much better I can't even go back to the other variety anymore. It tastes like basements and dust, while you can snack on the fresh stuff raw if you want. I'd rather use garlic powder or pickled cloves when it's not in season. Neither is great, but better than the dead dry stuff.

I get the same thing in Ireland - the good stuff comes from Spain and the bad from China. The spanish variety is usually only around for about half the year whereas the chinese kind is available all year round. It's not terrible, but it is usually much smaller, paperier and seems a lot less ripe than the spanish stuff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What do you call it when you get a head of garlic and its almost entirely made of small or tiny cloves?

Absolutely infuriating when I get one of these, they have like 60 cloves and just throw the whole loving thing out and get another one.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've taken to buying the insanely $$ Christopher Ranch California grown garlic when the application is one where it's a key ingredient. It's consistently available at the stores I frequent and while not as good as fresh local stuff that I see on rare occasion it's a drat sight better than the Russian roulette of generic garlic I'd be playing otherwise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

What do you call it when you get a head of garlic and its almost entirely made of small or tiny cloves?
Sometimes with the fresh garlic (I'll have to check where it's from next time I go shopping) you run the risk of picking one that looks like it has nice big cloves, then you realize it's like three or four layers of thick peel around a tiny sliver. Not worth it at all. On the other hand, in that case you could probably get some nice flavour out of the peel. Might also be edible sliced up thinly, it's kinda like the bulbous part of a spring onion.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd rather use garlic powder or pickled cloves when it's not in season. Neither is great, but better than the dead dry stuff.

BraveUlysses posted:

Absolutely infuriating when I get one of these, they have like 60 cloves and just throw the whole loving thing out and get another one.

Sextro posted:

it's a drat sight better than the Russian roulette of generic garlic I'd be playing otherwise.

I mean, I know that GWS is pretty much the epitome of first world problems, but goddamn

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lawnie posted:

An extremely pro tip for instant pot users: you can put the inner pot on your stove to sear and sauté stuff.

Would this work on an electric range too?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Throw it into a food processor and make garlic sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Booyah- posted:

Would this work on an electric range too?

The IP is a pressure regulator and an electric stovetop so yes, it'll work fine.