Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

What Canada needs to do to tackle climate change, all simultaneously, in twenty years:

1. Build nuclear and renewable energy like there is no tomorrow.

2. Nationalize and shut down the entire fossil fuel industry in Canada. Reimburse the companies for all their assets at market value.

3. Every city and town north of the 50th parallel will be required to develop a resettlement plan that consists of:
A) Determining a base-line of sustainable local agricultural output based on existing and future conditions;
B) Determining a base line of sustainable per-capita water use based on existing and future conditions;
C) Planning for the maximum allowable population based on the metrics above, including new infrastructure, growth management, power and sanitation, resource management, etc.
D) Require all new development to be built around walking, cycling and public transportation in that order.

4. Open up a global-wide immigration lottery system to resettle hundreds of millions of people in the North. Incentivize citizens to take up international adoption instead of making their own babies by, I dunno, promising free food or shelter or university or something if you adopt a kid.

5. Start a global climate change reparations fund for poorer nations to help them cope with the horrible future ahead. Remove any nation not eligible for climate change reparations (i.e. most first world countries) from the Canadian global resettlement lottery if it does not contribute at least 25% of their GDP to the fund.

6. Hunker the gently caress down and hope humanity emerges on the other side of this with some semblance of civilization.

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Addendum to #2 would be to make sure the companies are worthless before assessing their "fair market value"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sitchensis posted:

2. Nationalize and shut down the entire fossil fuel industry in Canada. Reimburse the companies for all their assets at market value.

Market values are possibly negative. $260B in outstanding liability.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/11/01/news/alberta-regulator-privately-estimates-oilpatchs-financial-liabilities-are-hundreds

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Oooh that's fun. Guess we'll add that to the pile. My thinking was that, realistically, we'd have to cover the value of the energy resources that are sitting in the ground but already built into the stock price of these companies. That is, this is the step to take if we wanted the nationalization or shut down of the fossil fuel industry in this country to not be met with assassinations or invasion or economic meltdown.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

sitchensis posted:

3. Every city and town north of the 50th parallel will be required to develop a resettlement plan

Man, if you thought western Canada hated the east before, wait till you tell everyone who lives in every population center between Thunder Bay and Vancouver that they need to gtfo. I also heard that Canada has a pretty good track record when it comes to resettling populations for their own good, so that should go pretty well.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Canada needs to become a global leader in vertical farming or hydroponics. That tundra aint gonna do poo poo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I dunno, I'm surprised by how many NDP voters think illegal immigration is a big problem, and how few Lib/NDP voters think racism and sexism are problems. That's not impressive for a progressive party.
Saying "this problem is important" doesn't tell you anything about how a person might solve the problem. It's possible the agreement about "illegal immigration is important' hides a 180-degree polar opposite pair of ideas regarding how to solve that problem.

right-wing: kick out illegals, close the border!
left-wing: massively increase acceptance of refugee claims, allow more immigration, lower rates of deportation

Either action addresses the problem of illegal immigration, but in diametrically opposite ways.

Re: climate change. My advice is to read Gwynne Dyer's books. Start with Climate Wars, follow up with Crawling from the Wreckage. Both books are now a few years old and parts might be out of date but the overall themes are still highly valid. To summarise, climate change will cause all kinds of Bad poo poo to happen but a close examination of history suggests that it won't be all bad all the time and at least some people, most likely a large majority of people, will figure it out and solve (most of) the worst problems. However, other possibilities include billions of deaths, social upheaval and a retreat of democracy, and lots of other things that I would call "More Bad poo poo".

If you're in or near Sudbury, I just dropped off both of those books at Bay's Used Books on Elm. I'm moving to Australia so I'm trying to unload my possessions. Anybody want some bookcases?

enki42 posted:

Critical, yes, defeatist no. Defeatist means that it's all hopeless and the government is never going to change anyways. We're not doing enough, but we're doing something, and we should hold the government to account to do more. There's a difference between the Liberals, who are at best a mixed bag in terms of their approach vs. the Conservatives, who have nothing to contribute to the discussion outside of denialism and moaning about taxes.

Also I agree with this.

DariusLikewise posted:

Have the Liberals actually done anything about climate change?

They unmuzzled government scientists after the Harper repressions. They increased funding for scientific research through NSERC, and a large number of Canadian scientists are working on problems and questions directly relevant to climate change. That's not nothing, but it's far from the broad, forceful push across society that will be needed as merely the first big step on this front.

And yeah, the pipeline thing.

enki42 posted:

I dunno, maybe that means that climate scientists are hopefully optimistic or have blinders on or something, but absent any other evidence, I'll take their word on the effects over somethingawful dot com forums posters.
Climate scientists are not, as a rule, a highly optimistic bunch. But making extreme statements in either direction ("My research clearly shows that we're hosed") is a good way to shoot your own career in the foot. The immediate response from any other scientist would be "Can I please see your evidence?" which is a terrible question to try to answer if you don't have a large amount of very solid evidence.

In the case that you do have such evidence, the asking scientists are going to ask "Why didn't you say this before?"

This only applies to big public statements. The drinking sessions at conferences, where the real work (sometimes) happens, are where the climate scientists just nod and agree with each other about our shared horrid future.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Man, if you thought western Canada hated the east before, wait till you tell everyone who lives in every population center between Thunder Bay and Vancouver that they need to gtfo. I also heard that Canada has a pretty good track record when it comes to resettling populations for their own good, so that should go pretty well.

My dude. The people in those places can stay. We just have to figure out how places like Brandon, Manitoba can sustainably accomodate an additional 5 million people over the next century so that when billions die from global ecological collapse we can at least ensure that a few hundred million more survive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

Canada needs to become a global leader in vertical farming or hydroponics. That tundra aint gonna do poo poo.

No look, I'm sure methane swamps that have been frozen for 10000 years will make for excellent agricultural land just the moment they thaw.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh, you're talking more about refugees immigrating to Canada from places hosed over by climate change? My bad, "resettlement" can be a bit of a loaded term in the Canadian context.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Who is David Sim and why do I want raccoons to infest his house?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Who is David Sim and why do I want raccoons to infest his house?

A guy from Pickering who is really mad that we don't have a Conservative government and is telling all 55 of his followers all about it.

To be fair, if you count the cloud he's shaking his fist at, that number should really be 56.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I love this piece of writing, it captures so much of the essence of Western Canadian politics:

“So the current government is essentially (inheriting) bad policies and poor decisions of previous governments that were trying to make a buck or two in the short term.”

The office of United Conservative Party Leader Jason Kenney declined an offer to review the new estimates and documents released by the regulator, and to comment on the issue.

“Thanks for the opportunity but we’re going to pass,” wrote UCP spokeswoman Christine Myatt in an email to Global News, National Observer and the Toronto Star on Oct 26. “Have a great weekend!"

ExecuDork posted:

I'm moving to Australia so I'm trying to unload my possessions.

Interesting choice, in the middle of a climate change discussion. With the toxic wildlife, crimes-against-humanity politicians, and the flood/fire season regime I'd advise keeping a return ticket handy.

Thanks for posting about the Gwynne Dyer books. I wasn't aware that he'd written on the subject. I'll have to pick up them up and put them next to his book on the West's Middle East meddlings which I still haven't got my act together to actually read.

If you have kids I recommend Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day wherein six year old Alexander has a lovely day and keeps threatening to move to Australia.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

*gets out giant magnifying glass to look at red and blue dots separated by a hair*

These people are delusional!!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most policy to address climate change targets non-industrial production of CO2 and such. Unfortunately the vast majority is created by industry.

Water shortages? Restrict households and don’t touch agriculture or industry (they use 90%).

Plastic waste problem? Restrict end users and don’t touch industry (they produce 70% of all waste).

CO2 production? Target cars of individuals when most is produced by cargo transport and energy.

Etc. individuals can make small changes but industry owns government.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I predict Bannon will "win" tonights debate against David "Axis of Evil" Frum because of two reasons

1. Only about 5% of the 25,000 people who voted for Faith Goldy needed to buy tickets to ensure half of the audience is committed Nazis
2. Frum is a worthless prevaricating shill with zero charisma and these loving :thunk: Toronto libs will be like "well, I DoNt aGrEe WiTh BAnNoN BuT he argued his position so well!"

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 2, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/CBCManitoba/status/1058402868443668480

Loving all the obvious /pol/ chuds in the comments and also loving how lovely of a job the CBC did in covering this story

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCManitoba/status/1058402868443668480

Loving all the obvious /pol/ chuds in the comments and also loving how lovely of a job the CBC did in covering this story

Halifax and New West too. If you see these just rip them down. Don't inform the media. They will only amplify the message, and that's if you're lucky and they don't try to both-sides it

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Don't use your hands.

Sometimes chuds hide razorblades underneath 'em.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bannon is going to "win" the debate. 100% guaranteed

https://twitter.com/chriscaple/status/1058486759783190528

https://twitter.com/chriscaple/status/1058489649834782720

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Huh. I'm on my way down there for drinks. I'll post if there's a riot.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
eh not really related... sorry

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 3, 2018

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

So a dude made out with his mom for the lulz?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Hexigrammus posted:

Interesting choice, in the middle of a climate change discussion. With the toxic wildlife, crimes-against-humanity politicians, and the flood/fire season regime I'd advise keeping a return ticket handy.

Embrace chaos.

As for Gwynne Dyer, yeah he's great. I met him about 9 years ago when I helped to get him invited (i.e. paid) to a scientific conference. He got into a fight with Conrad Black before that and that's why his regular column is hard to find in Canada, but he puts the backlog up on his website approximately monthly. You can find his old videos from the 80's on YouTube and once you've seen and heard him It's easy to hear his voice in your head when you're reading his books or columns.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

sitchensis posted:

What Canada needs to do to tackle climate change, all simultaneously, in twenty years:

1. Build nuclear and renewable energy like there is no tomorrow.

3. Every city and town north of the 50th parallel will be required to develop a resettlement plan that consists of:
A) Determining a base-line of sustainable local agricultural output based on existing and future conditions;
B) Determining a base line of sustainable per-capita water use based on existing and future conditions;
C) Planning for the maximum allowable population based on the metrics above, including new infrastructure, growth management, power and sanitation, resource management, etc.
D) Require all new development to be built around walking, cycling and public transportation in that order.

4. Open up a global-wide immigration lottery system to resettle hundreds of millions of people in the North. Incentivize citizens to take up international adoption instead of making their own babies by, I dunno, promising free food or shelter or university or something if you adopt a kid.

5. Start a global climate change reparations fund for poorer nations to help them cope with the horrible future ahead. Remove any nation not eligible for climate change reparations (i.e. most first world countries) from the Canadian global resettlement lottery if it does not contribute at least 25% of their GDP to the fund.

6. Hunker the gently caress down and hope humanity emerges on the other side of this with some semblance of civilization.

And the Grande Prairie dinosaur museum still wouldn't be able to get enough foot traffic to stay open.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

A guy from Pickering who is really mad that we don't have a Conservative government and is telling all 55 of his followers all about it.

To be fair, if you count the cloud he's shaking his fist at, that number should really be 56.

Oh my god, I know David Sim. The dude really, really, really wants a Pickering Airport.

also Gwynne Dyer has been really good on climate change stuff. There are lecture forms of Climate Wars on Youtube, and there's a 4 part series on IDEAS that covers the same issues. You should be able to find them on the CBC archives.

He's basically predicted how this was going to go down: we were never going to get our act together to reduce emissions in time, we will need to use geoengineering to keep the global average temperature down while we reduce emissions, geoengineering is scary and prone to abuse so we need a (new) global treaty to manage and restrict geoengineering efforts by rogue countries and deranged billionaires. Trump's going to be a problem, but if the US continues to isolate itself in geo-politics (the Iran deal, for example), the rest of the world is going to have to circumvent the US. And we're probably going to have to send the UN into Brazil lol

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 3, 2018

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The whole Brazil situation made me realize countries need to start regulating what their companies do in other countries. It makes no sense for Canadian companies to be doing poo poo in other countries that they’re not allowed to do here. Even if you believe that the Canadian government only has a responsibility to protect its own natural environment, contributing to climate change through company activity abroad will affect us eventually.

I realize that this would lead to companies just moving away but I’m personally ok with that. There’s still a cost to it for the company, I’m sure a lot of these mining and natural resources CEOs don’t want to have their headquarters in Africa or South America any way, and I’m ok with Canada transitioning away from being a tax haven.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Dreylad posted:

also Gwynne Dyer has been really good on climate change stuff. There are lecture forms of Climate Wars on Youtube, and there's a 4 part series on IDEAS that covers the same issues. You should be able to find them on the CBC archives.

Good, I need to broaden my YouTube watching habits. I've been watching videos of denialist Nobel Laureates, trying to understand their mindsets and now my "Recommended" list is full of chemtrail, hazardous smart meters, magnetic perpetual motion machines, and Nibiru (the hidden Doomsday planet that has NASA panicking because it's going to hit the Earth sooner than expected). What the hell have I clicked on? :suicide:

None of which is quite as cringe-worthy as watching a biochemist convert CO2 concentrations from ppm to percent, then ridicule concern for such small changes. One would think a biochemist would understand that mere ppm can be biochemically significant?

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Starks posted:

The whole Brazil situation made me realize countries need to start regulating what their companies do in other countries. It makes no sense for Canadian companies to be doing poo poo in other countries that they’re not allowed to do here. Even if you believe that the Canadian government only has a responsibility to protect its own natural environment, contributing to climate change through company activity abroad will affect us eventually.

I realize that this would lead to companies just moving away but I’m personally ok with that. There’s still a cost to it for the company, I’m sure a lot of these mining and natural resources CEOs don’t want to have their headquarters in Africa or South America any way, and I’m ok with Canada transitioning away from being a tax haven.

It’s almost as if free trade and influxes of foreign direct investment are like, bad things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

In which the operational details of a Crown corporation are treated as a state secret

tl;dr: Despite OCS being a Crown corp operations are privatized and there is no information publicly available about who received the contract or the bidding/RFP process. The Province says ask OCS, OCS says get hosed this information is not public.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 3, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Hexigrammus posted:

None of which is quite as cringe-worthy as watching a biochemist convert CO2 concentrations from ppm to percent, then ridicule concern for such small changes. One would think a biochemist would understand that mere ppm can be biochemically significant?

Biochemist here. That guy/gal is an idiot.

Interaction kinetics between molecules often occur at ridiculously small concentrations (e.g. nanomolar)

:eng99:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1058503331205722112?s=19

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

infernal machines posted:

In which the operational details of a Crown corporation are treated as a state secret

tl;dr: Despite OCS being a Crown corp operations are privatized and there is no information publicly available about who received the contract or the bidding/RFP process. The Province says ask OCS, OCS says get hosed this information is not public.

if you search linked in for people who work at ocs its all like former starbucks managers and sephora employees lol

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Conservativeboomers.txt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this_is_not_a_thing.jpg

Seriously though, this is just bullshit CHUDs are making up to rile up old white people on Facebook right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah. One Afghan woman won't shut up about how we "glorify war" but I think the consensus is that she should "stop taking".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have literally never even heard the idea that displaying poppies is offensive to muslims before now so yeah seems like a made up "they hate our TRADITIONS!" bullshit thing. Like I can't even come up with a reason why they would be offended.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Some people I met in Kabul were confused because of the more obvious connection between poppies and opium death, but I can't see anyone here making that mistake for long. It's kind of a hard symbol to avoid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Okay, second question, what the gently caress is "Poppy Day"?

Like was this thing ginned up in a Russian troll farm? I'm sure all our true Conservative patriots know Remembrance Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Poppy Day.

Like, really?