Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blood Sally posted:

i'm playing through The Mummy: Demastered, and it's a lot of fun so far. i've only died a couple of times to some dumb mistakes, but the death mechanic is pretty great: whenever you die, the villain resurrects your corpse as one more zombie for her undead army. you start up again at the nearest save point as a new recruit sent in to put down the old player and continue where they left off. my favourite bit is that all the gear collected in your previous life (better weapons, energy tanks, etc.) stay with the zombie soldier, so theoretically the further you get into the game the more dangerous it gets to die.

WayForward did this in their last metroidvania, Aliens: Infestation. only being an Alien IP, your killed characters are actually captured by xenomorphs and prepped for facehugger insemination. you start with a four person squad and can recruit new soldiers you find along the way... or, if you can find the correct alien hive soon enough, you can rescue your captured soldier before they get facehugged and keep using them.

thing dragging down their metroidvanias, though, is that they're easy enough that you'll hardly see thrse mechanics unless you make some dumb moves. in A:Infestation, i never permanently lost any of my four starting soldiers.

I've had this on my Steam wishlist for a while now. It looked fun. especially since it's based on the Tom Cruise Mummy flop. I'm glad to hear it''s pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's good! sprites look great, soundtrack is rad, and gameplay is solid. it's no Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission, but it feels decent nonetheless

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Blood Sally posted:

it's good! sprites look great, soundtrack is rad, and gameplay is solid. it's no Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission, but it feels decent nonetheless

Yes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJgpaVOKfxc

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The soundtrack to Mummy Demastered is fantastic, definitely the strongest aspect of the game

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

In RDR2 I killed some bounty hunters that were after me. I took my time looting their corpses, and I saw some vultures land near one of the bodies that was furthest away from me. When I finally got over there, I noticed the vultures had pecked the body's eyes out.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In Okami you have a dedicated bark button. If you are carrying something (in your mouth, because you are a dog) this button is disabled until you drop it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was playing RDR2 earlier and when I was near St Denis I had a random encounter where a guy rode up to me on his horse crying that he was horribly injured. He fell off and asked me to take him to the doctor. I did so and when we got there the doctor mentions that the guy's arm is badly injured and infected and he'll have to amputate. He said I should leave but I hung around and by god, that doctor did saw the dude's arm right loving off.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ashsaber posted:

In Okami you have a dedicated bark button. If you are carrying something (in your mouth, because you are a dog) this button is disabled until you drop it.

Also a golden shower attack button

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Also a golden shower attack button

And poop bombs. On the other hand, where you walk, flowers appear, because you're a goddess of the sun. And every friendly NPC can be charmed into petting you.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Rollersnake posted:

I had to look up what other neat weapons I might have overlooked, and there are a few.

I have never seen this knife. Ever.

I had no idea this sword was a more powerful version of the Shield Rod!

There's a hell of a lot more to the Muramasa than I ever suspected.

Not sure if I ever used the Heaven's Sword, but I definitely didn't know there was a special attack if you equipped two of them.

Did you know you could equip your sword familiar if you level them up high enough?

I love SoTN I've I been on the search for a game that has a similar mindset (besides SoTN's sequels). Hollow Knight, and other metroidvanias definitely are closer to metroid than castlevania. It's why I think everyone who likes metroidvanias should give SoTN a go cause it makes a case for a different type of game. You might not like it and that's cool, there is a strong argument for metroid, but my heart will always be with SoTN.

One little thing of SoTN: after you finish the intro (which is a fight against Dracula) you play as Dracula's son Alucard, and immediately you have access to one of Dracula's boss moves which is just the coolest thing in the world. However it's hidden under a button combination (up->down->down right->right->attack). Lore wise I like this a lot because you always have access to your powers, you just have to find out they exist.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Indie games tend to skew harder, and consequently usually scorn RPG levelup systems as ruining the challenge, due to the ability to grind for power. If you want more games like SotN, the portable Castlevanias really your best bet. I'd say the closest to SotN's mindset is probably Portrait of Ruin.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Indie games tend to skew harder, and consequently usually scorn RPG levelup systems as ruining the challenge, due to the ability to grind for power. If you want more games like SotN, the portable Castlevanias really your best bet. I'd say the closest to SotN's mindset is probably Portrait of Ruin.

That's why I didn't enjoy what I played of hollow Knight, it just seemed a bit too hard that early on and I got frustrated.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Castlevania Circle of the Moon was better than SotN. Harrumph.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Castlevania Circle of the Moon was better than SotN. Harrumph.

bicth i am gonna farm so many schmoos to get my crissaegrim you best run before it drops

*gnaws angrily on potroast from a wall*

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Ya for sure. I get the appeal from both a design perspective/economics to go metroid. Castlevania has a lot of anti-designs and it's closer to nethack in philosophy (well Symphony at least, admittedly as the series progressed it got more focused). SoTN is one of the few games where I just like playing it (as in sometimes I'll just boot it up and see how far I can get without saving). There are only a couple of games out there that ever hit me on that level, so naturally I crawl out of the woodwork whenever they are mentioned. I got so many SoTN little things lol.

One thing I appreciate from the ps4 is there is a trophy for one of the less talked about swords, the summon sword. In which you can summon various different creatures to help you attack other monsters. Of course the power is hidden under a button combo (down->down right->attack).

Is Maria mode remotely balanced in that one? She had some ridiculous powerset on the Saturn, as I recall.

She is more balanced but I personally prefer the Saturn Maria. This Maria is closer to Rondo's which makes more sense; if Richter is too easy for you, then you'll probably enjoy Maria's mode.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay FINE I'll play Symphony of the Night as my first Castlevania!

I don't have a PS4 but I have a PS3 lying around, can I get a good version of SotN on that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Okay FINE I'll play Symphony of the Night as my first Castlevania!

I don't have a PS4 but I have a PS3 lying around, can I get a good version of SotN on that?

I think you can buy the "Playstation Classics" version which should be the best version possible to play unless some bug Im not aware of exists.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Barudak posted:

I think you can buy the "Playstation Classics" version which should be the best version possible to play unless some bug Im not aware of exists.

:hai: as far as I know it's a straight port (as in it's running the original ps1 game on the ps3).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I think a bunch of people confuse the Saturn and PSP version of SOTN a little because they both had a Maria mode but weirdly neither were remotely similar if I remember right. In the PSP version she plays similar to her child Rondo of Blood self with magic and... attack birds? In the Saturn version she had a bit of the magic but she was using martial arts for her regular attacks instead. I thought it was a bit of a shame they didn't keep that mode in some way to be honest because it felt a little more unique than the rehash of Rondo's Maria.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nude posted:

Ya for sure. I get the appeal from both a design perspective/economics to go metroid. Castlevania has a lot of anti-designs and it's closer to nethack in philosophy (well Symphony at least, admittedly as the series progressed it got more focused). SoTN is one of the few games where I just like playing it (as in sometimes I'll just boot it up and see how far I can get without saving). There are only a couple of games out there that ever hit me on that level, so naturally I crawl out of the woodwork whenever they are mentioned. I got so many SoTN little things lol.

One thing I appreciate from the ps4 is there is a trophy for one of the less talked about swords, the summon sword. In which you can summon various different creatures to help you attack other monsters. Of course the power is hidden under a button combo (down->down right->attack).

She is more balanced but I personally prefer the Saturn Maria. This Maria is closer to Rondo's which makes more sense; if Richter is too easy for you, then you'll probably enjoy Maria's mode.

When you say hidden, is there anything in the game to indicate the powers are there? Because "your weapons have secret abilities if you randomly mash buttons" sounds like horribly unfun bad design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

When you say hidden, is there anything in the game to indicate the powers are there? Because "your weapons have secret abilities if you randomly mash buttons" sounds like horribly unfun bad design.

Yes, you can buy scrolls from the librarian which reveal spell combos.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You can buy scrolls that tell you how to do them, but you don't need them to actually perform the moves; if you know the pattern, you can do them from the start.

They're also not really random, they're Street Fighter combos.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have never played any fighting game, so they might as well be random to me. There is a HUGE amount of hidden button combos (and...other hidden things) in SotN, none of which you need to beat the game in any way, most are a neat bonus at best, kinda useless because too hard to input reliably at worst.
Alucard's special abilities he always has, and if you know the buttons, you can immediately use them. If you don't know the buttons, you have to wait until scrolls with the buttons spelled out on them unlock in the shop, can be a while into the game, but you'll eventually get them all.
Weapon special abilities the game never tells you about, many weapons have one, many have TWO, and some even have extra interactions that don't match the typical pattern. I recently played SotN blind (on the PSP version, never having even seen the Saturn one, so sorry for the misinformation about that), and only knew that there were weapon combos, but didn't want to bother with them, especially not look them up. Eventually, the weapon I was using did...something weird out of nowhere and it seemed awesome so I got curious, and just tried pressing buttons. I eventually stumbled upon the correct combination, tried that with a bunch of other weapons, and quickly found out that there is exactly two combinations that give you the extra effects on 95% of the weapons in the game.

So while it is hidden, it's not necessary, it's mostly consistent and you can find out about it on your own. That's fair enough, I think.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Shield Rod and Medusa Head shield, yo. It isn't Crissaegrim, but it's damned close.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I was playing RDR2 earlier and when I was near St Denis I had a random encounter where a guy rode up to me on his horse crying that he was horribly injured. He fell off and asked me to take him to the doctor. I did so and when we got there the doctor mentions that the guy's arm is badly injured and infected and he'll have to amputate. He said I should leave but I hung around and by god, that doctor did saw the dude's arm right loving off.

Motion capture session for that was brutal apparently. Rockstar don't go in for half measures.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deltarune

Having really gotten too far into the game yet but I felt like Susie's 'oooo, so spooky' face reminded me of something. I doubt it was intentional but it reminds of OFF if you go for the non-canon ending.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

BioEnchanted posted:

That's why I didn't enjoy what I played of hollow Knight, it just seemed a bit too hard that early on and I got frustrated.

I'm playing Hollow Knight now and this is pretty much my experience. I just react too slow for that game, and no amount of practice will allow me to "git gud". So, the quest to find another SotN style Metroidvania continues.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

IIRC, there's only two command inputs for the weapon specials in SotN, and while you're never told them, ever weapon that has an ability uses one or both of the two. Quarter-circle-forward, attack. Back, forward, attack. The shield rod is used by hitting it's attack button and the sheilds button at the same time.)

To the extent the game is designed around any sort of difficulty curve, the spells are designed to be used at the point you can buy their input. You can always use them, but later spells are absurdly powerful and make the early game as much a cakewalk as the later.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
You gotta keep in mind that SotN is from the time where we would still buy gaming magazines and exchange tips with friends. I remember playing it at my house while on the phone with my cousin who was playing it at his place and we would check the same areas together while trying everything and telling each other what worked and what didn't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

You gotta keep in mind that SotN is from the time where we would still buy gaming magazines and exchange tips with friends. I remember playing it at my house while on the phone with my cousin who was playing it at his place and we would check the same areas together while trying everything and telling each other what worked and what didn't.

I don't remember is there anything in the game that tells you about the inverted castle?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Len posted:

I don't remember is there anything in the game that tells you about the inverted castle?

There's some item descriptions that hint at what you have to do for that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

The game hints at the process you're supposed to use to do that, but doesn't explicitly tell you what it is.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Shield Rod and Medusa Head shield, yo. It isn't Crissaegrim, but it's damned close.

There's a massive number of weapons and spells that break the game, and several of them don't rely on random drops. Most notably, Shield Rod + Alucard Shield makes you invincible, makes the shield deal huge damage when it touches enemies, and lets you restore health each time you hit something with the shield.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

I figured it on my own but it was a bit of a long reach and also some luck. I could barely make out the item descriptions but I did think there was something weird about them, the cryptic descriptions and how well they were guarded, but when I got the final one it was pretty clear when it should be used. Felt really amazing when it worked, still.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deltarune

Had to restart it because I think I installed it weirdly? Anyway, in the intro, before you've actually gone to the Dark world, if you open your inventory it's the same as the Undertale one, which I totally missed because I didn't think there'd be like, an in game menu in this thing. Had no idea how long it would be or anything like that so I didn't think to press buttons to see if anything did something or not like usual.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, you can buy scrolls from the librarian which reveal spell combos.

Oh my goodness where the gently caress has my day gone.

I found the Soul Steal spell while wiggling and mashing buttons to get out of petrification from the stone rose, and its hilarious how how OP it is in places. Can clear out huge rooms of people, completely shreds through the zombie boss thing and the whirling sword monsters.

Control is a little sluggish, but hot drat I can see why they named half the genre after this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nude posted:

I love SoTN I've I been on the search for a game that has a similar mindset (besides SoTN's sequels). Hollow Knight, and other metroidvanias definitely are closer to metroid than castlevania. It's why I think everyone who likes metroidvanias should give SoTN a go cause it makes a case for a different type of game. You might not like it and that's cool, there is a strong argument for metroid, but my heart will always be with SoTN.

Funny thing is, I'm the exact opposite. I love Metroid a whole lot and am constantly annoyed by how many metroidvanias lean harder into the lower-mobility/combat-focused Castlevania style. Or as mentioned just default to being overly hard for no reason.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I think all three are great series with strengths in different areas.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
SotN is the Greatest Playstation Game Of All Time, but god drat Rond of Blood is awful. But the music is good, which all that matters.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Deltarune

Having really gotten too far into the game yet but I felt like Susie's 'oooo, so spooky' face reminded me of something. I doubt it was intentional but it reminds of OFF if you go for the non-canon ending.

Reminds me of Gina Davis in Beetlejuice

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Just Offscreen posted:

I think all three are great series with strengths in different areas.

Wait what's the third series.