Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
e: this post was unnecessarily antagonistic, never mind

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

At least in our current hellworld it's possible to consider Diablo being treated like this a minor issue.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Mercenaries is NOT Raid Mode. Don't make me bring out the flamethrower .

But imagine: Mercs, but with the character building possibilities of Raid Mode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viewtiful Jew posted:

In the immediate despair a bunch of gamers were in during the Smash Direct I thought the video for it was going be hit hard by downvotes but it never really happened and I guess all of those went to the Diablo Mobile video instead. Like a pack of hungry piranha fish.

Lmao gamers are so predictably dumb

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now I really want a yakuza beat em up gacha game

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
New overwatch character looks good https://twitter.com/KojiMads/status/1058450680451608579?s=19

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

I feel like they ought to at least TRY making a fire emblem game where it isn't "all enemies move at once, RIP your Pegasus knight if you get unlucky"

Alternating player and enemy phases has a pretty different feel from other systems where individual units have turns. You have much more control over matchups in this system--you can clear an enemy out of the way with a glass cannon then move in a tankier unit, for instance, whereas in the other system if the tank goes before the glass cannon then welp. You also have a ton of tools in (modern) Fire Emblem to tell how dangerous an enemy phase is going to be. Enemy range indicators are really good! It's extremely easy to tell how much damage each of them will deal too. It's just the enemy's might (which is precalculated for you on their stat screen) minus your unit's defense or resistance. No need to hope your pegasus knight gets lucky, you can just check whether or not she can survive being hit twice, and use the convenient enemy range indicators to keep her out of range of one of them if she can't. Compared to something like Disgaea or FFT where the damage formula is obfuscated and enemies often have gigantic, uncheckable attack ranges, I feel like I have way more tools to keep my squishies safe without relying on getting lucky.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 2, 2018

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Mobile Diablo looking good, too https://youtu.be/2-SLvqXyrI4

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

rofl at least tf2 changes the models a bit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While all that is true and good I'm just saying it would be interesting to try doing it the other way

I keep thinking about re downloading FE Heroes but then I remember how bog simple the actual "game" is in that :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

While all that is true and good I'm just saying it would be interesting to try doing it the other way

I keep thinking about re downloading FE Heroes but then I remember how bog simple the actual "game" is in that :(

Honestly I think FE absolutely nailed it 30 years ago and I haven't found a single SRPG that has a set of core mechanics that are as cohesively good without just straight up copying FE. If Nintendo wants to make an SRPG with a different system that'd be fine but I'd rather FE proper stick to the system that actually works instead of experimenting in space that, to me at least, has proven empirically worse in other games.

Personally I think simple is better with SRPGs because the core concept of moving units around on a map has a lot of depth. Adding a bunch of doodads on top of that just makes the game harder to track without making it any deeper (see FE Fates Conquest)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol it's just a reskin of that game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
aside from a little sharper/wider jaw they really do have like almost the exact same facial profile

edit: and the earrings

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I like how McCree has a grizzled and rough look about him and this lady gunslinger looks like a fashion model.

I understand why, and how McCree's appearance actually makes him more attractive within his niche, but it just goes to show that Blizzard almost never actually designs unique characters. They just target specific demographics and model their characters to be a collection of all the characteristics that people within those niches are attracted too. Its effective but completely devoid of creativity.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm glad people are at least having fun with yesterday's direct because this all looks great to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly I think FE absolutely nailed it 30 years ago and I haven't found a single SRPG that has a set of core mechanics that are as cohesively good without just straight up copying FE.

I wish they'd make another Advance Wars, the first few of those were better than FE as far as pure gameplay

In fact just make an FE game where you build/train units

Call it Fire of War or something

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I understand why you'd want to release a Diablo mobile game, but making it a huge announcement at your big show filled with die-hard fans seems really stupid. The 'core' gamer crown (a term I hate) really doesn't like this poo poo.

Just put a ten second teaser that says DIABLO IV LEARN MORE 2019 in front of it and you'd mitigate a lot of the outcry imo, assuming it's a project that they're working on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

precision posted:

I wish they'd make another Advance Wars, the first few of those were better than FE as far as pure gameplay

In fact just make an FE game where you build/train units

Call it Fire of War or something

I was going to suggest a mix of Fire Emblem and Advance Wars but that kinda is Valkyria Chronicles

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I was defending NSMB2 last week I totally forgot that it actually came out after SMB3DLand

That doesn't make it a worse game, but boy howdy is it awkward

Also nobody told me they ported Captain Toad to the 3DS!!!!!! Truly the greatest system

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You would think dealing with the crazy World of Warcraft and Overwatch fanbases would teach them not to stick their dick in a beehive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly I think FE absolutely nailed it 30 years ago and I haven't found a single SRPG that has a set of core mechanics that are as cohesively good without just straight up copying FE. If Nintendo wants to make an SRPG with a different system that'd be fine but I'd rather FE proper stick to the system that actually works instead of experimenting in space that, to me at least, has proven empirically worse in other games.

Personally I think simple is better with SRPGs because the core concept of moving units around on a map has a lot of depth. Adding a bunch of doodads on top of that just makes the game harder to track without making it any deeper (see FE Fates Conquest)

I haven't really played an FE game so what makes it stand out for you beyond like Tactics Ogre? I would say the most interesting implementation I've seen in an SRPG is some game whose name I can't even remember (Sword Queen Something???) where to attack you actually move through enemies so there's a lot more tactical depth than walking up on someone's flank to smack them. The emphasis is on speed and maneuverability which works perfectly for a Game Boy Advance game.

I'm hoping video game designers start mining board games for ideas because boxed board games have really surpassed both traditional use-a-ruler tabletop skirmish games and video games in terms of good tactical battles. Gloomhaven is getting a digital implementation and that system is like "What if Dungeons & Dragons 4E was ultra refined?" And even Krosmaster, based on the Dofus franchise, takes a Mario + Rabbids approach where your abilities hit basically 100% of the time so the gameplay is based on maneuvering and setting up combos.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

I understand why you'd want to release a Diablo mobile game, but making it a huge announcement at your big show filled with die-hard fans seems really stupid. The 'core' gamer crown (a term I hate) really doesn't like this poo poo.

Just put a ten second teaser that says DIABLO IV LEARN MORE 2019 in front of it and you'd mitigate a lot of the outcry imo, assuming it's a project that they're working on.
yeah bethesda had this poo poo figured out when they announced the phone elder scrolls game, just pay lip service and say yes they're going to put out another real one eventually so people stop being freaked out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I haven't really played an FE game so what makes it stand out for you beyond like Tactics Ogre? I would say the most interesting implementation I've seen in an SRPG is some game whose name I can't even remember (Sword Queen Something???) where to attack you actually move through enemies so there's a lot more tactical depth than walking up on someone's flank to smack them. The emphasis is on speed and maneuverability which works perfectly for a Game Boy Advance game.

I'm hoping video game designers start mining board games for ideas because boxed board games have really surpassed both traditional use-a-ruler tabletop skirmish games and video games in terms of good tactical battles. Gloomhaven is getting a digital implementation and that system is like "What if Dungeons & Dragons 4E was ultra refined?" And even Krosmaster, based on the Dofus franchise, takes a Mario + Rabbids approach where your abilities hit basically 100% of the time so the gameplay is based on maneuvering and setting up combos.

I haven't actually played Tactics Ogre. It has the same basic system as FFT right?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tbh its hard to compare fire emblem with any other srpg, because its just a totally different lineage. there is not a whole lot of commonality between fire emblem and games that are closer to tactics ogre/fft. they're almost more puzzle games than they are strategy games

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You would think dealing with the crazy World of Warcraft and Overwatch fanbases would teach them not to stick their dick in a beehive.

But the beehive is full of money

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Rev1's Raid Mode is the tits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You'd really think after the C&C debacle at E3 Activision would know that trying to hype up a mobile game at conference doesn't usually end well

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

In the immediate despair a bunch of gamers were in during the Smash Direct I thought the video for it was going be hit hard by downvotes but it never really happened and I guess all of those went to the Diablo Mobile video instead. Like a pack of hungry piranha fish.

I'm pretty ambivalent about piranha plant being a playable character, but does Nintendo think that people like Petey Piranha? DO people like Petey Piranha? I was actually thinking about this a day or so before the announcement, for reasons I can't remember.

Overwatch characters all look like parodies of Overwatch characters and this one is worse than most.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Nintendo should make Jagged Alliance 3 with FE and AW characters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

is DIABLO (mobile reskin of other game) as bad an announcement as the valve card game

e3's going to have to step its game up

i guess The Game Awards (tm) are in a few weeks so there could be something just as bad announced there

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ceyton posted:

Nintendo should make Jagged Alliance 3 with FE and AW characters.

But the AW guys would just shoot all the FE guys

marth would get run over by a tank

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't actually played Tactics Ogre. It has the same basic system as FFT right?

More or less, yes.

homeless snail posted:

tbh its hard to compare fire emblem with any other srpg, because its just a totally different lineage. there is not a whole lot of commonality between fire emblem and games that are closer to tactics ogre/fft. they're almost more puzzle games than they are strategy games

Yeah, going by looks I would compare FE to Shining Force or Advance Wars?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

FFT is basically the spiritual sequel to Tactics Ogre.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

the pinnacle was warsong/langrisser, which combined the disposable units of advance wars with the character driven setup of fire emblem to deliver an SRPG that allowed for flexible tactics while still revolving around core units that need to be protected. i wish we got more of those games translated, or at least just langrisser 2 which is insanely good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty ambivalent about piranha plant being a playable character, but does Nintendo think that people like Petey Piranha? DO people like Petey Piranha? I was actually thinking about this a day or so before the announcement, for reasons I can't remember.

Overwatch characters all look like parodies of Overwatch characters and this one is worse than most.

My sister loves Petey. She was born in '93 so Sunshine was the 3D Mario of her formative years and she thinks the spotted diaper + large belly button is cute.

He's one of those characters that Nintendo internally doesn't give a poo poo about but a lot of other people care because he appears in almost every third party developed Mario game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Advance Wars and FE are made by the same people and are extremely similar

The big difference is that units in AW are disposable nobodies just like in real war, whereas in FE the units are all your waifu or husbando

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if advance wars and daisenryaku got into a fight, daisenryaku would win but would have to be resupplied

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first advance wars game was released in America on 9/11

Nintendo Knew

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can't compare to Tactics Ogre directly, but comparing it to FFT (note I haven't finished any of the FFT games because I really don't like them; FFTA is the one I got furthest with so that's mostly what I'm thinking of). Please forgive any inaccurate portrayals of FFT because of this. Also, FE is a series with a million entries so you can find corner cases and exceptions to everything I say here but it's all broadly true.

Fire Emblem alternates between all your units going (in any order) and then all the enemies going (again, in any order the AI is programmed to move them in). This allows for much more complex maneuvers by the player because any combination of moves is possible, you aren't restricted by what the game gives you. Similarly, all the enemies going at once demands that you have a good defensive posture because you can't heal up in between enemies. It both allows for and demands more thought put into movement.

Fire Emblem has units always move before attacking. I don't have a strong opinion on this tbh, I think the FFT system of allowing attacks and moves in either order is fine (and FE has played around a bit with allowing mounted units to do this)

Fire Emblem has attack ranges cap at 2. This means it's actually possible to set up defensive formations. You can choke points and move your tanks into a wall formation all you want in FFT but enemy mages and archers will just fire straight at the squishies behind them because they all have huge ranges. This results in a greater emphasis on stats in FFT and a lower emphasis on formation because all your units need to be able to survive a round with the ranged attackers.

Fire Emblem has relatively simple classes--for the most part, they only differ in what weapons they use and what their stats are. You can just file away swordmasters as "speedy sword-users" and archers as "bow-users with kind of bad stats". In FFT (or god forbid Disgaea) you have to remember what the range of the fire spell is, and what kind of aoe it does, and check whether that mage even knows fire, and it's just a huge mess.

Fire Emblem has counterattacks, which are guaranteed (ish) and equally potent compared to normal attacks. This has a bunch of positive consequences. First, it levels the playing field when the enemy outnumbers you. If there's 50 enemies and 10 allies, you're still getting an equal number of attacks every round because every attack comes with a counterattack. This allows for larger maps without many of the downsides of that, allows for the player to set up to make progress during the enemy phase (instead of merely survive), and because you only counterattack an enemy attacking from a range you could attack from, allows you to avoid counterattacks with clever play, and forces you to play cleverly to prevent the enemy from avoiding your counterattacks.

Fire Emblem has extremely simple formulas. You can at a glance with only simple subtraction tell what a battle between two units will look like. If you ask me whether one of my units can survive two enemy attacks, I can tell you relatively quickly. If you asked me in FFT I'd just shrug because I have no idea.

There's more I like about FE (I honestly think FE1 for the NES was an astonishingly good piece of design and it's been refined incredibly since then) but that's all I can think of for the core gameplay mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also, go ahead and lay SRPG recs down on me I know I haven't played a lot of them

• Locked thread