Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Viva Miriya posted:

Ok I've been playing my rear end off with randy rough and I keep getting hosed. It's all great until I have to actually micromanage and do real loving defense against outlanders with lil more than a wall for cover and rifles/looted guns. I think I need to be reminded how to set up shop again and how to handle this poo poo. Because just having 15x15 blocks and setting my guys up in cover isn't doing it anymore. I need to get a proper defense up ASAP and not get by with no walls or a single perimeter wall like I'm used to.

Mindless's setup looks great because it offers alot of entry points+cover points for the hallway incase dudes spill into there. I'm gonna have to setup the death intake as a signature feature of my bases from now on.

But as far as combat goes, what could I be missing tactics wise?

Walls and traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mindless posted:

The downside is untrained animals opening doors at the worst moments.

Keep your animals in an animal zone. Even untrained, they won't leave their zone, and thus won't let the manhunters in. It's standard procedure in my colony to pen all animals up in the barn during raids.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viva Miriya posted:

Ok I've been playing my rear end off with randy rough and I keep getting hosed. It's all great until I have to actually micromanage and do real loving defense against outlanders with lil more than a wall for cover and rifles/looted guns. I think I need to be reminded how to set up shop again and how to handle this poo poo. Because just having 15x15 blocks and setting my guys up in cover isn't doing it anymore. I need to get a proper defense up ASAP and not get by with no walls or a single perimeter wall like I'm used to.

Mindless's setup looks great because it offers alot of entry points+cover points for the hallway incase dudes spill into there. I'm gonna have to setup the death intake as a signature feature of my bases from now on.

But as far as combat goes, what could I be missing tactics wise?

Assuming you're not doing a gimmick run where you're artificially keeping your wealth down, you will always be horribly outnumbered, so any attempt to fight fair will lead to your death or maiming. Your base needs to be walled off to channel raiders into a predictable intake point ASAP, and your intake point needs to be trapped, preferably multiple corridors of them, to winnow down the enemy's numbers. After that you'll want some turrets to further thin the survivors out and to catch bullets. Your colonists should ideally never see the enemy until they've been mangled horribly, because the longer your colonists are exposed to enemy fire the greater the chance of one of them catching a lucky bullet that kills them, puts their eye out, destroys a lung, etc.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kanos posted:

Assuming you're not doing a gimmick run where you're artificially keeping your wealth down, you will always be horribly outnumbered, so any attempt to fight fair will lead to your death or maiming. Your base needs to be walled off to channel raiders into a predictable intake point ASAP, and your intake point needs to be trapped, preferably multiple corridors of them, to winnow down the enemy's numbers. After that you'll want some turrets to further thin the survivors out and to catch bullets. Your colonists should ideally never see the enemy until they've been mangled horribly, because the longer your colonists are exposed to enemy fire the greater the chance of one of them catching a lucky bullet that kills them, puts their eye out, destroys a lung, etc.

And this is the difference for me between Randy Rough and Randy Medium. I was used to just doing a mobile, active defense, and loving people up until they ran and that was alright, even with mechanoids. Lmao at doing that now.

Looks like basic palisade and death corridor's are a priority right after food production and housing is up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

And this is the difference for me between Randy Rough and Randy Medium. I was used to just doing a mobile, active defense, and loving people up until they ran and that was alright, even with mechanoids. Lmao at doing that now.

Looks like basic palisade and death corridor's are a priority right after food production and housing is up.

Yeah you absolutely cannot fight fair on Rough or higher, especially against enemies that will not run like mechanoids.

I play on Savage most of the time and I get incredibly antsy until my initial wall goes up because even early raids when I'm dirt poor love to sling 4-5 dudes with ranged weapons at me.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Warmachine posted:

Keep your animals in an animal zone. Even untrained, they won't leave their zone, and thus won't let the manhunters in. It's standard procedure in my colony to pen all animals up in the barn during raids.

Also make sure your freezer/dining area are off limits to all animals. Otherwise they will prefer human meals instead of kibble/hay. :iiam:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vengarr posted:

Also make sure your freezer/dining area are off limits to all animals. Otherwise they will prefer human meals instead of kibble/hay. :iiam:

Naturally, there is a mod for that, letting you assign food restrictions to animals. :v:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are vehicles a thing yet besides pods?

There is a vehicles mod, but it hasn't been updated since B18 I'm afraid.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Traps make it a lot easier but you can do really well with a large handful of heavily armored guys wielding swords or maces, the vanilla game doesn't field anything that can reliably beat heavy melee except like, centipedes and elephants.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kanos posted:

Yeah you absolutely cannot fight fair on Rough or higher, especially against enemies that will not run like mechanoids.

I play on Savage most of the time and I get incredibly antsy until my initial wall goes up because even early raids when I'm dirt poor love to sling 4-5 dudes with ranged weapons at me.

Any advice for a start on RICH EXPLORER?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

Any advice for a start on RICH EXPLORER?

Oddly, I've never actually done Rich Explorer or Naked Brutality. I've played a ton of crashlanded and tribals, but never the one colonist scenarios.

Based on my general knowledge of the game, you're going to want to get some sort of rudimentary defenses up almost immediately, since you absolutely cannot afford to put yourself in any danger at all with only one colonist. A single debilitating injury or a down and that's the ball game. Knowing that, I'd probably prioritize a tiny rice field -> basic food production(butcher + stove) -> immediately getting a small curtain wall and traps up, and maybe a turret or two since you start with that tech on rich explorer. You don't want to go too crazy on the turrets early on because they inflate your wealth a little bit, but you also want them to finish off anything the traps don't kill because your optimal goal is to never have to fire that charge rifle except for hunting.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my advice for rich explorer is to get a turret up immediately and also build a second bed because you'll get another pawn before the first 6 months is up

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Depending on where you land, getting a food cooking setup isn't necessarily super important since you land with a healthy supply of survival meals. Get something in the ground, sure, but you can wait to build a thing to cook with when you get ~half done with your meals or you make a new friend.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Heck for the first two years or so of my current colony we ate raw food, because we're tribals and there's no fuel for cooking, had to tough it out until electricity :shrug:

Lot of barfing going on in my statues

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Where the gently caress did you set up with tribals that couldn't grow trees?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciate the idea of a freegan vegan challenge but campfires do exist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i basically only play on randy rough and early defense revolves around numbers and clubs. EVERYONE gets at least a wooden club. clubs are a godsend now that they don't have quality modifiers, so any two bit rear end in a top hat can make a club that will work. steel clubs are preferable if you can spare the resources but don't sweat it too much, those things are not sticking around. EVERY raider gets attacked with at least 2:1 odds, in melee. i frequently do more than that. numerical superiority is absolutely gigantic. if there are more raiders than that, everyone hides in a building and the raiders are allowed in to the base. they will split up and do things like punch air conditioners, try to steal poo poo, etc. someone who wanders off gets mobbed and killed/downed. rinse and repeat until enemies peace out. this leaves some scars on the base and in the worst case will result in some serious damage because some jackalope will think it's funny to set a fire, but it beats the hell out of a scar on a colonist or, god forbid, an early death or maiming.

like i mentioned in a recent post, defense nowadays has shifted. before, there was a real question of how to design things such that you would take no losses from certain attack intensities. now the real question is what you are willing to lose. it's part of the reason i keep thinking about trying to just keep expensive but cheap to make crap outside the base to encourage a raider to gently caress off for the cost of 30 wood or whatever while he steals a bed or an art piece, rather than the steel or worse he's likely to cost me if i let him go up against a turret or step on a spike trap.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 2, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Tree planting is now a tech, and besides they grow for so long time that realistically on arid plains and desert maps you'll first end up scavenging leftover buildings and then will still build some basic items out of steel, since there are production benches and things in which you cannot substitute wood.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Der Kyhe posted:

Tree planting is now a tech, and besides they grow for so long time that realistically on arid plains and desert maps you'll first end up scavenging leftover buildings and then will still build some basic items out of steel, since there are production benches and things in which you cannot substitute wood.

Yeah, but tribals start with tree planting, and in deserts and shrublands you can plant cacti which grow to maturity in a season for 15 wood each. It's work intensive to get them planted, but it's nowhere near as big a drain on your productivity as having constant food poisoning would be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, but tribals start with tree planting, and in deserts and shrublands you can plant cacti which grow to maturity in a season for 15 wood each. It's work intensive to get them planted, but it's nowhere near as big a drain on your productivity as having constant food poisoning would be.

Yeah, I'm having trouble imagining a world where outside of an ice sheet or extreme desert I don't have ANY wood for fuel. Even before I moved my desert colony to an oasis (mod map that has a fertile oasis in the middle of a desert. Fun, even if NPS has been a buggy pile for a bit now), I could reasonably expect to find fuel from the cacti, and I'd use stone for the rest of my junk.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I honestly have no idea how you'd tribal an ice sheet. It just takes so long to research electricity, let alone hydroponics.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Keeshhound posted:

I honestly have no idea how you'd tribal an ice sheet. It just takes so long to research electricity, let alone hydroponics.

Gotta build your base around a steam geyser to generate constant heat. It's tricky but doable.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The steam geyser is standard. The issue is that you can't grow anything in your base without a sun lamp, which requires electricity researched at 4x cost (for tribals). And then you're stuck growing in whatever lovely ground you have around the geyser until you can research hydroponics, again, at 4x cost. I just don't know if you can stretch four corpses out that long, even with raids.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s doable. There are still animals you can hunt, such as snow hares and arctic wolves. Don’t forget that escape pod drops and distress calls triggering raids exist. Lots of free meat

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

The steam geyser is standard. The issue is that you can't grow anything in your base without a sun lamp, which requires electricity researched at 4x cost (for tribals). And then you're stuck growing in whatever lovely ground you have around the geyser until you can research hydroponics, again, at 4x cost. I just don't know if you can stretch four corpses out that long, even with raids.

If you're on randy it seems like you get lots of escape pods

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Permafrost(mod)/Ice Sheet are pretty impractical for trying to farm trees, especially if you're being all hard core and keeping the temperature below freezing forever, but eventually we got to this point:

* growing trees under a roof is no longer permitted in vanilla so I needed a mod for that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Extremely worth noting, in desert or extreme desert, you can simply farm saguaro catcus on sand for vast amounts of wood. Tynan added saguaro on sand in this version and tbh it is suuuuuuuuper broken but w/e :shrug:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I enjoy your increasing amounts of "gently caress it" as you dig out sun lamp radii

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Flesh Forge posted:

Permafrost(mod)/Ice Sheet are pretty impractical for trying to farm trees, especially if you're being all hard core and keeping the temperature below freezing forever, but eventually we got to this point

I figured it would wind up being some kind of ice sheet because saguaro's absolutely are bullshit in vanilla. Is it low enough temp to kill raiders?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

It isn't really possible for tribals without mods*, which is dumb and lame, so I add mods until it stops being impossible. Rainbeau's Fishing is a huge help, as long as you don't get too big and are willing to eat raw fish you can get by with some luck. In vanilla you just can't scrape up enough food in tundra or colder biomes and I think that's stupid, there's a few dozen human cultures that have survived just fine in tundra or arctic land.

Keeshhound posted:

I figured it would wind up being some kind of ice sheet because saguaro's absolutely are bullshit in vanilla. Is it low enough temp to kill raiders?

No, that gets too boring tbh. It's neat up until you have the basic subsistence problems solved and then you just harvest frozen guys, up until it gets too cold to get raided at all and then basically nothing happens except occasional mechanoid raids.

*err, you can do it if you start with one cannibal and you kill 4 of your other starters for food and are extremely lucky and careful

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 2, 2018

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Flesh Forge posted:

* growing trees under a roof is no longer permitted in vanilla so I needed a mod for that
So is converting stone floor into soil

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's honestly why I've never really enjoyed extreme biome play. The difficulty of them is effectively all in the setup; it's a matter of seeing if you can manage to eke out your survival until hydroponics, at which point you're actually safer than a normal colony, because the nature of the biome means your wealth is always going to be floor-level for tiny raids and a lot of raiders will simply die trying to get to you from the conditions.

A jungle or temperate start might be a snooze cruise in comparison but the later threats end up more dynamic in comparison.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The way the game scales is always amusing.

I'm doing the exact opposite as everyone else right now - I started with 24 high skilled colonists kitted out with high tech biotics and military grade weapons. The idea being that I'm eventually going to plunder the entire world, which is getting increasingly hotter every year - my second winter right now has the average night temperature of around 100f. No friends, everyone that ventures into my territory gets either shredded or captured and experimented on. My mountain fortress is a monument to sin and decadence and raids get to be absolutely comical at this level of wealth. I had a psychic ship crash and 48 mechanoids came stumbling out - I had to destroy that one with artillery. My base defenses are walls of vulcan turrets and shield generators, my disposable army of horribly mutated prisoners keeps things distracted.

Since the world is basically ending as it gets hotter and hotter (until year 4, when it cycles back down) I've made an ark for all sorts of animals and have to have a massive indoor growing op to keep everything sustainable.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
This talk about vehicle mods made me think that an 'easy hack' to add repairable vehicles that you find would be to mod them in as animals, that don't move, and require components or something, to 'tame'.

Now, I'm thinking this deserves an entire content mod, based on the short story Carhunters of the Concrete Prairie.

Picture slightly related:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Herb Dington posted:

This talk about vehicle mods made me think that an 'easy hack' to add repairable vehicles that you find would be to mod them in as animals, that don't move, and require components or something, to 'tame'.

Also at about age 12 the transmission breaks and you need to install a new one or it dies.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Since a lot of people seem to be using the Psychology mod, maybe someone can clear this up for me before I start a new game: I've heard that the system it uses makes the 'Gay' trait obsolete and non-functional. Is the same also true for some of the other 'personality'-type traits, like 'Kind', or 'Bleeding Heart'? And if the personality effect is indeed completely superceded by the mod's own system, do these traits at least keep the special mechanics associated with them? Like the mood-improving compliment for 'Kind', and so on?

I don't want any of the precious three trait slots to be occupied by ballast.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bleeding heart is a Psychology trait. Traits still exist and influence a pawn's personality, they're not obsoleted (or else they'd be removed). Some traits like Beautiful and Ugly are factored into sexual attractiveness and conversation modifiers rather than being a flat opinion bonus.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bleeding heart is a Psychology trait. Traits still exist and influence a pawn's personality, they're not obsoleted (or else they'd be removed). Some traits like Beautiful and Ugly are factored into sexual attractiveness and conversation modifiers rather than being a flat opinion bonus.

Oh, I thought that was a 1.0 thing! Thanks for clearing all of that up.

Difficult choices ahead... :thinkdorm:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So when should you start exploring the map? I finally got to the point of my colony is pretty stable when it comes to it's day to day operations (I have food, plenty of power, and the whole thing is walled off besides a kill box on the north entrance.)

I think I'm pretty much out of steel and components which is starting to hamstring what I can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I bet you have a ton of steel and components in those mountains, waiting to be found. Start up some mines first, but separate them so you can fight off any infestations that may show up.

I'm a believer that caravan gameplay isn't necessary at all, unless you want to do it. Get enough components to make a comm station and a couple trade beacons, that can help with getting you the necessary components to get to fabrication bench and deep drills. Mechanoid raids and ancient dangers are also great for components.

Once you are making or buying most of your components, and deep drilling for steel, you'll probably have more than you need.