Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I'd be down for the David show. Starring David.
Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Maybe if it’s on HBO and pays the big bucks but Fassbender isn’t going to do a Netflix show unless it pays.

I agree Alien has been done and done I’d like to see something different like has been mentioned.

W-Y finally gets control of the alien. Make a show about the scientists working on that. Room for fun corporate politics as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zoologists studying Xenos from a concealed observatory, but the Xenos eventually discover that they are there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DropsySufferer posted:

Maybe if it’s on HBO and pays the big bucks but Fassbender isn’t going to do a Netflix show unless it pays.

I agree Alien has been done and done I’d like to see something different like has been mentioned.

W-Y finally gets control of the alien. Make a show about the scientists working on that. Room for fun corporate politics as well.

Alien World :haw:

Speaking Fassbender and budgets, I still can't believe that Assassin's Creed movie cost like $130 million, that must have been a great payday for everyone.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I'd be down for the David show. Starring David.
A surreal anticomedy talk show hosted by David, where he is the band sometimes and fucks up his citations all the time and anyone who calls him out gets stabbed in the neck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DropsySufferer posted:

:chloe:

We already had enough corporate politics for 4 films though, I don't think it'd work if there was more of it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

:chloe:

We already had enough corporate politics for 4 films though, I don't think it'd work if there was more of it.

the alien movies don't really show corporate politics in an interesting way, though - they just show the corporation as a villain. i think it'd work if it was a massive, insane conglomarate that does as much good as it does bad. show like, some of the successes of terraforming, the interstellar travel. portray the benefits of alien experimentation and the technological jumps that are made because of it. give us more characters like Vickers, who's a bitch but generally 100% correct. i think there's room for growth in the alien universe and that's one area where i'd like to see it. then you can establish the government / military as another somewhat-competing entity. do the same with a succesful colonist settlement. the world of alien could be pretty interesting, but we only see it through the eyes of people who are running from these bio-horrors.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Anyone here ever see the 1981 Sean Connery movie Outland? It could easily be set in the Alien expanded universe. It has the gritty, lived in, blue collar workers in space thing down to a T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYc2GQyrAlw

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Also has Peter Boyle... It's Rio Bravo/Rio Lobo/El Dorado/Assault on Precinct 13/SWAT/Ghosts Of Mars... In space!

But yeah, it's a classic

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

brocked posted:

Also has Peter Boyle... It's Rio Bravo/Rio Lobo/El Dorado/Assault on Precinct 13/SWAT/Ghosts Of Mars... In space!

But yeah, it's a classic

Can't believe you listed everything other than that it's a remake of High Noon.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Also has Sean Connery paired with a woman his own age. But the plot of the company hooking its employees on space meth to increase productivity is a very WY move.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Neo Rasa posted:

Can't believe you listed everything other than that it's a remake of High Noon.

Yeah, I always forget that one

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Outland is like they said, "Hey we have all these sets and props from Alien still lying around, why don't we just make another movie with this poo poo?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SimonCat posted:

Also has Sean Connery paired with a woman his own age.
And Cliff from Cheers exploding.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reading this page and it’s clear y’all really need to read The Cold Forge

I’m only 11 chapters in but it’s a W-Y corporate auditor dickhead who you just love to hate coming in to inspect this top secret xeno research facility facing off against a black scientist woman with a genetic disorder that leaves her bedridden and borderline vegetative who gets around the station and does her research on the xenomorph by direct interfacing with an android.

Lots of corporate intrigue and dramatic tension, a really good fuckin’ read so far and I can’t get enough of it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Taintrunner posted:

Reading this page and it’s clear y’all really need to read The Cold Forge

I’m only 11 chapters in but it’s a W-Y corporate auditor dickhead who you just love to hate coming in to inspect this top secret xeno research facility facing off against a black scientist woman with a genetic disorder that leaves her bedridden and borderline vegetative who gets around the station and does her research on the xenomorph by direct interfacing with an android.

Lots of corporate intrigue and dramatic tension, a really good fuckin’ read so far and I can’t get enough of it.

Should've read the previous page, too.

Xenomrph posted:

Seek out Alien: The Cold Forge. It's widely considered not just the best Alien novel to date, but just an all around good book. The AvP "community" is really, really hoping that more Alien/Predator work gets thrown the author's way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that's where I got the recommendation for the book from, actually

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Went through the trilogy over the last few days and had a great time revisiting it. I love the Alien3 AC more each time I watch it. On this latest rewatch it feels a lot like a very extended episode of Doctor Who with the Alien mythos attached to it, in the best way possible.

I have some questions about recurring motifs that I'm wondering if they have a canonical explanation:

- Why are the aliens constantly dripping in liquid?
- Why are there so many hanging chains?
- Why is there so much falling water on the ships/bases?

The real reasons are probably just because they look/sound cool but I'm sure there are interesting reasonings that people came up with for them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

el oso posted:

Went through the trilogy over the last few days and had a great time revisiting it. I love the Alien3 AC more each time I watch it. On this latest rewatch it feels a lot like a very extended episode of Doctor Who with the Alien mythos attached to it, in the best way possible.

I have some questions about recurring motifs that I'm wondering if they have a canonical explanation:

The real reasons are probably just because they look/sound cool but I'm sure there are interesting reasonings that people came up with for them.

The answer to everything is: because it's cool as gently caress.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Alien World :haw:

Speaking Fassbender and budgets, I still can't believe that Assassin's Creed movie cost like $130 million, that must have been a great payday for everyone.

God knows that cash didn't end up on the screen.

Still blows my mind that they whiffed on that so hard. It should have been such an easy success, especially with Fassbender anchoring it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Disagree, asscreed definitely looked expensive. I kinda dug the Jason Bourne meets X-Men vibe (never played the games) but the story/characters were very boring.

el oso posted:

Sex. Penis monsters are more deadly when they're lubed up

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

el oso posted:

On this latest rewatch it feels a lot like a very extended episode of Doctor Who with the Alien mythos attached to it, in the best way possible.

I mean, you could argue you’ve got an amnesiac 8th Doctor in it. Amnesia is his recurring curse, after all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fart City posted:

God knows that cash didn't end up on the screen.

Still blows my mind that they whiffed on that so hard. It should have been such an easy success, especially with Fassbender anchoring it.

I stopped watching the movie after he had a mini stroke or something after his first major animus dive, he died and there was nothing else after that.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Alien Resurrection is a decently fun romp but I find it hard to like because it just feels inessential and a waste of Ripley's decision at the end of Alien 3.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alien Resurrection should have cloned Burke instead.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Alien Resurrection should have cloned Burke instead.

Alien Resurrection should've been a found-footage style movie where a cat with a camera on it's collar was running around watching all the shenanigans go on.

The cat is the only one that gets to an escape pod.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Alien Resurrection is Firefly with less rape

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
ETA on Alien 3 OG comic?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished Cold Forge. Best Alien related story I’ve seen since the original Alien/Aliens. Now to play Colonial Marines with that massive fan patch, and Isolation with that VR mod. Or maybe I replay AVP2? Hmm.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I wasn't sure at first but on second viewing the film seems to be pretty clear that it's David who creates the Xenos. Is this the general consensus?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Leyburn posted:

I wasn't sure at first but on second viewing the film seems to be pretty clear that it's David who creates the Xenos. Is this the general consensus?

Pretty impressive if he managed to wipe out the Engineers from Prometheus with them some two thousand years before his own creation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leyburn posted:

It was Ridley Scott’s intent, but I don’t buy it. ‘Alien’ shows us a very old Derelict full of Alien eggs, which would predate David.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Prometheus has a mural of a xeno-like creature and the fleshy xeno-thing at the end. David is molding an existing collection of creatures, and, given his personality, over-convinced of the magnitude of his contributions.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Prometheus has a mural of a xeno-like creature and the fleshy xeno-thing at the end. David is molding an existing collection of creatures, and, given his personality, over-convinced of the magnitude of his contributions.
Exactly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

You’d be surprised how often I see fans on AvP boards say it’s a “fact” that David was the original creator of the Alien, all evidence to the contrary be damned. Even more bizarre is when people who hate the idea try to force others to go along with it. “I don’t like it any more than you do, but that’s what’s canon now so we just have to accept it”.

:bang:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well for one thing the goo kinda makes Xeno’s by itself as evidenced by the snake thing and the albino one. If nothing else that means he didn’t make them himself. Maybe iterated on them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Maybe there is no "the" alien.

Maybe, just maybe, every single alien movie has featured different types of aliens, with or without internal explanation.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well Ridley brang it on himself trying to connect the movies. Which I’m sure he cares about while living in a mansion I’m sure he owns not giving a poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So are we ever getting another Alien video game? I've really liked most of them and the license is tailor made for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
We're apparently due for a console/pc triple A game by a newly formed studio called Cold Iron Studios.
But apart from that I haven't head much and I don't even know if it's still alive to be honest.