Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Here I was thinking the DOD Bass Grunge was the worst possible distortion to use on a bass, but what kind of lunatic uses a RAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I did. Thought it sounded ok. Once had a sound guy comment that it rendered my playing unintelligible and I was like "yeah, so?"

I did eventually switch to a clearer sounding Digitech Bass Driver and then to Bass Big Muff, both equipped with a clean blend, since the band's material didn't benefit from bass being just some garbled noise.

Edit: For all I know, I'm the bass player gently caress Your Website was talking about.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 2, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Here's some stupid music poo poo, enjoy photos of the people who spent $2000 on Gene Simmon's Collector's Vault:

http://fanphotos.genesimmonsvault.com/

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Frank Caskelot posted:

I did. Thought it sounded ok. Once had a sound guy comment that it rendered my playing unintelligible and I was like "yeah, so?"

I did eventually switch to a clearer sounding Digitech Bass Driver and then to Bass Big Muff, both equipped with a clean blend, since the band's material didn't benefit from bass being just some garbled noise.

Edit: For all I know, I'm the bass player gently caress Your Website was talking about.
Nah, this guy never switched the Rat out until the band ended, though eventually he did start using it less. Maybe he was beginning to realize "headache-inducing buzzsaw midrange" might not be the optimal bass tone, because every time he stepped on that pedal everything that might be called a bass frequency disappeared.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My stupid RAT thing is years ago I bought an R2DU off of ebay for super cheap. For those who don't know it's a 1 space rack unit with 2 RAT circuits in it and a remote footswitch. Totally over kill for such a small simple circuit.
The nice thing is it has separate ins/outs for each side so I can run one pre everything and one post everything or just chain them both together :black101:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Here's some stupid music poo poo, enjoy photos of the people who spent $2000 on Gene Simmon's Collector's Vault:

http://fanphotos.genesimmonsvault.com/

who what now

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Retaining low end is about having a clean blend. All distortion pedals adapted for bass do this.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

My stupid RAT thing is years ago I bought an R2DU off of ebay for super cheap. For those who don't know it's a 1 space rack unit with 2 RAT circuits in it and a remote footswitch. Totally over kill for such a small simple circuit.
The nice thing is it has separate ins/outs for each side so I can run one pre everything and one post everything or just chain them both together :black101:

Similarly, the other day I was amazed that anyone would buy a rackmount Cry Baby wah (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/dunlop-cry-baby-rack-wah) or that such a thing was ever made until putting together that it can connect to six different controllers placed in different parts of a stage, so it makes perfect sense if you're in Iron Maiden (https://equipboard.com/pros/dave-murray/#effects-pedals https://equipboard.com/pros/adrian-smith/#effects-pedals).

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

gently caress Your Website posted:

Maybe he was beginning to realize "headache-inducing buzzsaw midrange" might not be the optimal bass tone

Sounds like it would be sick as hell with a clean blend, though. I wonder how hard that is to mod in?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Retaining low end is about having a clean blend. All distortion pedals adapted for bass do this.

Yeah. The best heavy bass tones have distortion blended in subtly alongside the clean signal which retains a ton of bass.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Reference posted:

Sounds like it would be sick as hell with a clean blend, though. I wonder how hard that is to mod in?

It is astoundingly easy

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Not just distortion. Good modulation pedals do it too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't like the Clash.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I don't like the Clash.

I mean I guess this is the correct thread for that statement.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They have a lot going for them.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Lmao at any bass player in 2018 that isn’t using darkglass

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Concatenation posted:

Lmao at any bass player in 2018 that isn’t using darkglass

ahhh so that's the next big thing for bass. It's still all MarkBass round our way

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I don't like the Clash.

While I agree their oeuvre might be slightly overrated it isn’t exactly a burning issue of the day, at least not compared to how ludicrously overrated bands like Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, and Animal Collective are.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress Your Website posted:

While I agree their oeuvre might be slightly overrated it isn’t exactly a burning issue of the day, at least not compared to how ludicrously overrated bands like Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, and Animal Collective are.

:catstare:

Funeral is a generational work of art. Great Release is the greatest creation of it's oeuvre, no one likes Animal Collective.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t really see the point of those bands when Bolt Thrower exists.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

:hfive:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thumposaurus posted:

trey from morbid angel runs one of those into a jcm900

also he uses a box fan as a tremolo unit

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hexwren posted:

who what now

Gene Simmons is selling a 40lbs Vault of original songs he never recorded before, all for $2000. You get to meet Gene on one of his Vault Tour stops to pick up your Vault.

OR you can have Gene come to your house to hang out and deliver your vault that way. I didn't even see the price for that option. lol

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Gene Simmons is selling a 40lbs Vault of original songs he never recorded before, all for $2000. You get to meet Gene on one of his Vault Tour stops to pick up your Vault.

OR you can have Gene come to your house to hang out and deliver your vault that way. I didn't even see the price for that option. lol

er yeah that would be $50000. Makes me mad to type it. Kiss sucks

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

One thing I did like about the Clash was when Big Audio Dynamite II sampled them. Sampling yourself is strangely cool.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Re: Rats: someone smarter than me can probably interpret all the information on this page, but I think in summary the Rat rules and sounds great. https://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rat pedals indeed rule. It's basically dirt in a box and I still remember recording 2 whole songs with nothing but a Fender Twin Reverb, a Guyatone cheap but rad sounding delay and a rat. Took me longer to setup the mics than to fiddle with the pedals to get any sweet-rear end dirt.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Rat pedals indeed rule. It's basically dirt in a box and I still remember recording 2 whole songs with nothing but a Fender Twin Reverb, a Guyatone cheap but rad sounding delay and a rat. Took me longer to setup the mics than to fiddle with the pedals to get any sweet-rear end dirt.

Indeed. And indeed the worst thing about them (at least the current line) is that their shape makes them sorta hard to put on a pedalboard with minimal effort. My old Rat (bought new circa 2005 or 2006) had a block of wood glued to the bottom and then some velcro on the wood to make the velcro reach the pedalboard between the Rat's rubber feet.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I know there's a million clones/kits/etc. out there but I'm surprised there hasn't been an official Rat reissue in a 1590 or similar form factor (at least, none that I know of.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I know there's a million clones/kits/etc. out there but I'm surprised there hasn't been an official Rat reissue in a 1590 or similar form factor (at least, none that I know of.)

Well if people keep insisting on an LM308 you can take a hike with your 1590, sir!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have like a dozen old-rear end LM308 chips and I am hoarding them and will retire on the profits when I sell them.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHho3_ZRKZ0

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcUEpjV_S6k

BWAAAAA

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

$150 worth of BWAAAAA

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Native already has one of those in a Kontakt library and iirc Hans Zimmer made the original just by layering samplers and instruments in Kontakt.

It's not like we need more of the drat things.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
You aren't getting the contract to score the next Michael Bay movie with that attitude, mister. Always more, always shittier.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just learned that Jerry Reed played the bad guy in the waterboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I dunno I can see Meteor being useful as a shortcut to getting cinematic bass for making walk-on or segue tracks or whatever instead of having to dick around balancing things and worrying about cooking your master limiter. I'd probably use it but not enough to justify $150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

:females:

https://www.gearnews.com/ladies-your-audio-interface-has-arrived-and-its-called-mirror/