Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

For the least techno-savvy of us, is this just a buttcoin joke or is there actually a way to apply the tech to EVE?

Im guessing its a joke but just in case..

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rutibex posted:

What if they made EVE turn based?

It is. Each turn is one second to ten seconds.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

It is. Each turn is one second to ten seconds.

Right in one.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rutibex posted:

But this is literally the entire point of carriers, they are anti-subcap capitals. Carriers used to have lots of different roles, triage, logistics, etc but they came out with specialized capitals to replace those roles. If carriers can no longer own sub-caps than what is even the point of them? Dreadnoughts are better at fighting other capital ships and structures, so if you nerf carriers sub-cap abilities you make them utterly pointless.

you're stupid dont respond to me ty and godbless

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rutibex posted:

The question is: does it have more impact on the server than a laser gun or a missile?

yes, you retard

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

you're stupid dont respond to me ty and godbless

This feels wrong

THERE WE ARE

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
If you quote me or read my posts you owe me 100m tia

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MaxPowers posted:

If you quote me or read my posts you owe me 100m tia

try and collect bithc

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

This feels wrong

THERE WE ARE

that guy curated a minecraft mod pack and got in bitchy fights with minecraft modders

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

that guy curated a minecraft mod pack and got in bitchy fights with minecraft modders

I only got into one fight with Minecraft modders. It was the creator of Railcraft that put the DMCA on my mod pack. Mostly I got into fights with the other mod pack creators here on SA!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
God dang it which one of you figured out that people were selling Proteus subsystems in Delve at a 80% loss? :argh: Now I have to keep updating the orders just like some peasant.

Oh well I guess I will just have to be content with the two dozen dirt cheap fully fit Proteus I was able to put together before anyone else figured it out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rutibex posted:

God dang it which one of you figured out that people were selling Proteus subsystems in Delve at a 80% loss? :argh: Now I have to keep updating the orders just like some peasant.

Oh well I guess I will just have to be content with the two dozen dirt cheap fully fit Proteus I was able to put together before anyone else figured it out

someone noticed that about faction ammos but at least i was able to get around 300k rounds of it before anyone caught on

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Xae posted:

I'm not aware of any game that mutlithreads it's core simulation.

Managing multiple threads in real time and having sub second consistency is difficult. Like Big 5 tech R&D project difficult.

Most multithreading in games is what CCP is doing now, off loading things that don't need immediate concurrency to a different thread or process.

I mean obviously CCP isn't going to have equal work sharing among threads, that'd be ridiculous. That doesn't mean that you can't explicitly architect your server software so that you're creating new threads for everything that can potentially be processed concurrently - new threads for blocking I/O, new threads for expensive computation, threads for request queue management, etc. There's overhead for sure, but realistically a well-structured database, a well-configured thread pool, and code specifically architected to fully utilize multiprocessing would likely be a huge benefit to Eve.

obviously I don't actually know what the code looks like so there's a chance I'm missing something but realistically python is hot garbage for multiprocessing (and also for any sort of performant execution at all :v: ) and so ditching it entirely and using something that supports running application code from multiple threads at the same time would almost certainly be a massive goddamn improvement

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

For the least techno-savvy of us, is this just a buttcoin joke or is there actually a way to apply the tech to EVE?

Im guessing its a joke but just in case..

a simple checklist to refer to when someone mentions buttchains in relation to anything:
1. it's a joke, especially on SA
2. on the off chance that they're being serious, they're the joke, because blockchain doesn't solve any problem.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rutibex posted:

I've shipped dozens of scimitars that were selling at 25m-50m below jita buys to jita repeatedly. 1DQ's market has some stuff that just does not sell because goons don't really use those ships, but because we used to people still make them, and then they keep warring against each other for the one sale a month until the price gets to the point where I clear out the market, spend 5m per ship to send to jita, and pocket some of the easiest profit possible.

oneman4193
Jun 3, 2006
I am not Karl Marx
Skill injectors got me to blow the dust off my account and check the game out again. My god things are different.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

I've shipped dozens of scimitars that were selling at 25m-50m below jita buys to jita repeatedly. 1DQ's market has some stuff that just does not sell because goons don't really use those ships, but because we used to people still make them, and then they keep warring against each other for the one sale a month until the price gets to the point where I clear out the market, spend 5m per ship to send to jita, and pocket some of the easiest profit possible.

I noticed stuff like that, but I never bothered to jump on it because I figured I would have to get into freighter poo poo and that seemed boring as hell (also risky). I never considered I could just pay someone else to ship it.....

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
itt we admit to goon loving but its ok because we're directors

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxPowers posted:

itt we admit to goon loving but its ok because we're directors

Buy low sell high is not goonfucking. The reason you can sell anything in Delve instantly is because there is a good profit in it. No one is stopping people from listing their stuff on the sell orders and waiting with everyone else. Arbitrage is a service and you have to pay for it.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Im gonna just start sucking this pipe until I believe that buying low ( in idq ) and selling high ( in jita) of ships ( and im assuming its fully fit ) that someone put up WELL below market price to help the bottom line, non isk castle having, basic member isnt goon loving. It might kill me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MaxPowers posted:

Im gonna just start sucking this pipe until I believe that buying low ( in idq ) and selling high ( in jita) of ships ( and im assuming its fully fit ) that someone put up WELL below market price to help the bottom line, non isk castle having, basic member isnt goon loving. It might kill me.

They’re hulls you goddamn moron

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Alright, lets not result to name calling untill I'm at least 4 dabs deep thank you.

Also why even move them to jita? Just relist them the usual 40% markup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MaxPowers posted:

Alright, lets not result to name calling untill I'm at least 4 dabs deep thank you.

the hulls are on the market at 25-50m below jita buys precisely because nobody wants to buy them in delve at prices even equal to their build price

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MaxPowers posted:

If you click on the market history tab and an item is moving at less than ten per day when they’re less than Jita then why bother selling it in delve, especially if it’s not used in any fleets and it’s not a common ratting ship

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MaxPowers posted:

Market fuckery is explicitly only goon loving in times of war.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

I noticed stuff like that, but I never bothered to jump on it because I figured I would have to get into freighter poo poo and that seemed boring as hell (also risky). I never considered I could just pay someone else to ship it.....

If only we had a forum, dedicated solely to EVE, where you could find a whole bunch of relevant information on the game. We could name that forum based on our own corp name, I strongly suggest goonfleet.com, where we could have subforums for people who want to buy or sell items and services.

I think S-mart would be an appropriate name for such subforums but i'm not the one making these decisions. That subforums could have cool posts like this one: https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/205365-imperial-transcontinental-logistics-for-your-shipping-needs/

unfortunately, such a place does not exist and you will forever be forced to ask your questions here, a subforum where practical EVE subjects are rarely ever discussed and is at this point, a cesspool of bittervets complaining about other bittervets.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I wish I was cool enough to both post on SA and be in GSF. What a privilege that must me. Can you sign my balding head Dalael???

How is the bloodraider thing going I honestly have an interest to see if CCP will start roleplaying the factions a little bit more in game as much as they do out of game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dalael posted:

If only we had a forum, dedicated solely to EVE, where you could find a whole bunch of relevant information on the game. We could name that forum based on our own corp name, I strongly suggest goonfleet.com, where we could have subforums for people who want to buy or sell items and services.

I think S-mart would be an appropriate name for such subforums but i'm not the one making these decisions. That subforums could have cool posts like this one: https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/205365-imperial-transcontinental-logistics-for-your-shipping-needs/

unfortunately, such a place does not exist and you will forever be forced to ask your questions here, a subforum where practical EVE subjects are rarely ever discussed and is at this point, a cesspool of bittervets complaining about other bittervets.

those are a lot of words for a sarcastic post tbh

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into ruining my own posts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Any number greater than zero of words in a Dalael post is a lot.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
What the hell why is the Precursor Frigate skillbook 170m isk.

Don't they drop in spooky space??

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Any number greater than zero of words in a Dalael post is a lot.

:agreed:

I Blame VG for being too nice and letting me post

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

They drop in rear end space, yeah. I guess the drop rate is low?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

the hulls are on the market at 25-50m below jita buys precisely because nobody wants to buy them in delve at prices even equal to their build price

Do you get tired of explaining Econ 101? Granted, that class was worldview-changing for me, and not everyone has the opportunity to take a class like that. (Me, 21 years ago : "Time value of money?!" :psyduck:)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ChickenWing posted:

I mean obviously CCP isn't going to have equal work sharing among threads, that'd be ridiculous. That doesn't mean that you can't explicitly architect your server software so that you're creating new threads for everything that can potentially be processed concurrently - new threads for blocking I/O, new threads for expensive computation, threads for request queue management, etc. There's overhead for sure, but realistically a well-structured database, a well-configured thread pool, and code specifically architected to fully utilize multiprocessing would likely be a huge benefit to Eve.

obviously I don't actually know what the code looks like so there's a chance I'm missing something but realistically python is hot garbage for multiprocessing (and also for any sort of performant execution at all :v: ) and so ditching it entirely and using something that supports running application code from multiple threads at the same time would almost certainly be a massive goddamn improvement

QAing this and ensuring round-trip consistency between the source state and the target state would, uhhh, be hard. In fact, even determining which parts could be split off and handled concurrently vs serially would be hard.

Probably the easiest divide would be to handle different grids independently, but I'm pretty dubious that you wouldn't have weird issues with dependencies between grids that resulted in wacky bugs. Particularly when grids are nested (which is a thing you can do) and area affects that cross grids.

Like two concentric grids where a Titan is hidden in the inner grid and does an AOE DD on a group in the outer grid, etc. Basically, race conditions abound between entities that seemingly have no relationship and connection.

Though multithreading would probably make a lot of market and inventory related things a lot faster, but the object locking model on items in shared hangers would still suck balls.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I believe they drop in lower tiers of abyssal space (1 and 2), and most of the people running it are doing tier 4 and 5.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Do you get tired of explaining Econ 101? Granted, that class was worldview-changing for me, and not everyone has the opportunity to take a class like that. (Me, 21 years ago : "Time value of money?!" :psyduck:)

No but I also never get tired of reminding people econ 101 is not intended to be a reflection of reality, merely a way to explain concepts to liberal arts students who struggle with algebra with curved lines and recoil from calculus like it’s holy water and they’re vampires.

Though I don’t remember any calculus anymore, god I’m old.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

QAing this and ensuring round-trip consistency between the source state and the target state would, uhhh, be hard. In fact, even determining which parts could be split off and handled concurrently vs serially would be hard.

Probably the easiest divide would be to handle different grids independently, but I'm pretty dubious that you wouldn't have weird issues with dependencies between grids that resulted in wacky bugs. Particularly when grids are nested (which is a thing you can do) and area affects that cross grids.

Like two concentric grids where a Titan is hidden in the inner grid and does an AOE DD on a group in the outer grid, etc. Basically, race conditions abound between entities that seemingly have no relationship and connection.

Though multithreading would probably make a lot of market and inventory related things a lot faster, but the object locking model on items in shared hangers would still suck balls.

Nah, handle it on a node level. Connection pool -> queue manager -> instruction manager -> thread pool for instruction workers -> ( blocking I/O / task workers / whatever the gently caress else needs its own thread ). Realistically, every node is almost certainly being single-proc'd right now. Even if you dispatch moderately expensive operations to their own threads you're still clawing back some cycles. IDK my multiprocessing experience comes from Scala programming which does a lot of synch natively so I can't imagine it's going to have that much of an issue.

tl;dr you need to do some resource allocation/priority fuckery but I guarantee there's something that could be offloaded to a thread pool that would result in a hundred ms clawback

e: and SQL locking is handled by having sane DB fk locks

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Are any other MMOs multithreaded server side? Most? If so, then it's obviously not overwhelmingly difficult, and it obviously has benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
since when did dds cross grid bounds