Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
We’re children, so we might as well ask her if there is a perfectly good reason for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Let's be polite and ask.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wait

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Let's wait.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wait a minute, wait a minute

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Wait and see seems like the best thing to do.

But you don’t want to do it here!

You double-check the newspaper article. “Let’s get back here when the meteor shower is supposed to begin,” you instruct Sophie and Andrew. “Then maybe we’ll find out how it all ties in together.”

You leave a note for Grandma and head over to the park to play Frisbee. You can’t help wondering what will happen. You’re so distracted you miss the Frisbee every single time.

At seven P.M. sharp, you, Sophie, and Andrew creep back to the rose garden. It looks spooky in the dark. The roses seem even larger than they did before.

There’s no sign of Grandma.

quote:

“I bet nothing will happen,” you say. “I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for everything.”

Before Sophie and Andrew can answer, the ground beneath your feet begins to rumble.

“What’s going on?” Sophie cries.

You glance up. Dozens of meteors shoot across the sky. They light up the night. You can see the garden clearly.

And Grandma!

She stands in the middle of the roses. By the light of the meteor shower, you watch Grandma reach up and pull off her face!

You hear Sophie and Andrew gasp beside you. But you can’t tear your eyes away. Grandma’s new face oozes and bubbles. A single yellow eye blinks in the center of her forehead. Her thick purple tail thrashes wildly.

Surrounding her are dozens of purple pulsating eggs. The vibrations from the eggs make the ground shake.

Grandma lets out a bone-chilling howl.

Immediately, all the eggs burst open!

quote:

The ground shakes so violently that you, Sophie, and Andrew are thrown down. You stay low, too terrified to move.

Dozens of miniature versions of the gross Grandma burst from the eggs. The purple flesh doesn’t look any better baby-sized. If anything, you think, the young ones are more disgusting!

Grandma still hasn’t seen you. All the newly hatched creatures line up in front of her.

“My children,” she addresses them. “We have traveled to this galaxy to take over this world. You know what you must do. First, feet and grow. Next, fit yourselves out with human body parts.” She holds up one of the rubber masks that you saw in her room earlier. “And then,” she finishes with a hideous cackle, “go forth and carry out the Master Plan!”

You, Sophie, and Andrew all wear the same look of horror on your faces.

“We’ve got to stop them! Do you think we can fight them right here?” Sophie whispers.

“No way. Let’s go tell my parents,” Andrew urges. “We need help!”

To fight the aliens, turn to PAGE 88.

Tell Andrew's parents on PAGE 94.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Ran face-first into the back of a garbage truck.
Eaten by a giant carnivorous rose.
Blown to bits by a bioengineered alien land mine.
Accidentally ate the alien eggs with implied disastrous results.
Caught spying and cocooned in acidic webbing.

Achievements
False Start: Got a bad ending on our first choice of the book.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is Goosebumps. Parents are useless.

Fight the aliens!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Tell Andrew's parents!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Telling our parents is always a good idea in children's books because they would never dream of sending bad messages to children.

Seriously, that's an aspect of children's shows and literature that always infuriated me. The Secret World Of Alex Mack almost became a hate watch because of me thinking "TELL YOUR PARENTS. Do you HONESTLY believe they would sell their OWN DAUGHTER to their boss for experiments, you idiot?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm reminded of Danny Phantom, where Danny would rather spend the entire show with his parents repeatedly trying to kill him rather than explaining to them and potentially losing two enemies.

Which is made even more baffling by the fact that an early episode has him say that he can spill the beans on his archnemesis' identity to his parents and doesn't care if Vlad does likewise, because at the end of the day his parents will still love him.

So why not tell them!? :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fight the aliens!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fight the aliens!

:yeah:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Telling our parents is always a good idea in children's books because they would never dream of sending bad messages to children.

Do this. Nothing bad can possibly happen.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lots of ties lately.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tell our parents.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I don’t want to face those creatures alone!” you say. “Let’s go get help!”

The three of you half-crawl, half-stumble out of the backyard. The moment you reach the street, you take off running. You cover the three blocks to Andrew’s house in record time.

“Mom! Dad!” Andrew yells as you charge through the front door. “Come quick!”

Andrew’s parents step into the hallway from the dining room. “What’s all the shouting?” his dad asks.

“Aliens!” you blurt. “There are aliens in my backyard!”

Andrew’s parents stare at you. Then they start to laugh.

Oh, no! They don’t believe you!

quote:

“Come see!” you shriek. “There are dozens of them in my backyard! Andrew, tell them!”

But he doesn’t say a word!

You turn to Sophie. “Sophie! You saw them! Tell them I’m not crazy.”

You don’t like the way they’re all smiling at you. As if they were all in on a big joke.

“There are aliens trying to take over the world!” you shout. “Why won’t you believe me?”

“We do believe you,” Andrew’s mother says in a soothing tone.

Then she peels off her face!

So do Andrew, Sophie, and Andrew’s dad.

They look exactly like Grandma!

quote:

Sophie, Andrew, Andrew’s parents – they’re all aliens. You’re the only human in the room!

You’re too horrified to think of running.

Andrew reaches into his pocket and pulls out a squirming baby alien. He places it on your shoulder. “Feed and grow,” he tells it.

Uh-oh.

As the baby alien nibbles at your ear, you think: Mom wouldn’t let me get my ear pierced, but I got my way in the – OWWWWWWWW!

(END!)

I saw this ending coming a mile away, and I'm not comfortable with what that says about me.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
:siren:Discovered our friends and their families were all disguised aliens, then got fed to a baby alien.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ask for help decoding the message.
  • Jump onto the train before it pulls out.
  • Introduce your friends to Grandma.
  • Find and rescue your real Grandma.
  • Call the authorities right away.
  • Jump out the bedroom window.
  • Ask Grandma what's going on.
  • Fight the alien army.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fight the aliens!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And so the moral of the story is that children should never go to their parents or other adults when they need help!

... :ohdear:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fight the aliens!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Ask Grandma what's going on

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Wow, this book sure has a great message for kids. I wonder what would happen if we instead

AweStriker posted:

Fight the aliens!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“We have to stop them now,” you whisper. “By the time we go for help, they could be anywhere!”

“Doing anything!” Andrew adds with a shudder.

But how can you stop them? you wonder. You watch the horrifying creatures, trying to think of an idea.

“Feed well,” Grandma orders. “And then we must begin.”

The slimy aliens swarm over the roses, munching everything in their path. Grandma strolls through the wriggling masses. You remember how she told them to feed and grow. You don’t have much time. Whatever you do, it has to be fast and effective.

“Let’s squash them!” you decide. “While they’re all in the garden.”

“Brilliant,” Sophie replies. “How?”

quote:

“We’ll throw stuff at them.” You point to Grandma’s window. “From up there.”

The aliens are busy eating and don’t notice you sneaking into the house. You race to Grandma’s room. “They’re all crowded together in that corner,” you cry, glancing out the window. “Even Grandma. We might be able to get them all at once!”

“Let’s use this!” Andrew struggles to get the mattress off the bed. You and Sophie help him drag it to the window.

“One! Two!” You strain to lift the mattress over the sill. “Three!”

The mattress drops directly on top of the group of aliens.

quote:

You gaze down at the garden, holding your breath.

“Nothing’s moving,” Sophie says.

“No sounds,” Andrew adds hopefully.

You nod. Could you have done it? Did you actually destroy the aliens?

You open your mouth to say something. But then your jaw drops.

Dozens of wormy aliens slither out from under the mattress. And they’re bigger than they were five minutes ago!

“It didn’t work!” you wail.

“Maybe the mattress was too soft,” Andrew says.

“It wasn’t heavy enough,” you realize. “Throw everything you can get your hands on!”

Frantically, you grab a chair and footstool. Out the window! Andrew and Sophie toss down Grandma’s suitcases. You hurl out the stereo and a radio. They land with a crash. The radio blasts on.

There’s nothing left to throw. And the aliens are still swarming around in the garden!

quote:

You gaze down at the garden. You wonder how long it will be before the aliens come after you.

Then you notice something strange. The creatures slither easily out from under the objects you thrown down on them. But the aliens near the radio shrivel up and fall over!

“The radio!” you shout. “It destroys them! They must be allergic to sound waves, or something.”

“Awesome!” Andrew yells. “We found a weapon!”

You dash into your room and get your radio. Sophie grabs your cassette player and pops in a tape. Andrew snatches the portable CD player. You race downstairs and into the garden.

You aim the radio at a group of creatures. Their slimy skin puckers, turning black. They curl up. Little wisps of smoke rise from their crinkly bodies.

It’s working!

Sophie and Andrew use the tape and CD players in the same way. Little aliens are shriveling all around you.

“Nooo!” a voice bellows.

Grandma!

quote:

Grandma yanks the tape player out of Sophie’s hands. She throws it to the ground. Andrew runs and trips, smashing the CD player. You’re so scared, you drop the radio.

Silence.

Aliens swarm around you. Their teeth dig into your ankles.

Think of something! Try anything!

Maybe it wasn’t sound waves that killed the creatures, you realize. Maybe it was music!

You sing the first words that pop into your head. “Happy birthday to you,” you warble.

“Nooo!” Grandma shrieks again.

The aliens gnawing on your ankles fall over. Andrew and Sophie figure out what you’re doing. They begin singing too.

After five choruses of “Happy Birthday,” the garden is filled with dead aliens. You defeated them all. Even Grandma.

You, Sophie, and Andrew collapse to the ground.

“We did it!” you exclaim. “We stopped the alien invasion!”

“Now what do we do?” Sophie asks. “Do we tell someone?”

A broad grin spreads across your face. “I think we should form a singing group.”

“What?” Andrew stares at you. “A singing group?”

“You bet,” you reply. “We’d knock ‘em dead!”

THE END

I'm still not sure whether to count this as ripping off Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Mars Attacks.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Discovered our friends and their families were all disguised aliens, then got fed to a baby alien.

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ask for help decoding the message.
  • Jump onto the train before it pulls out.
  • Introduce your friends to Grandma.
  • Find and rescue your real Grandma.
  • Call the authorities right away.
  • Jump out the bedroom window.
  • Ask Grandma what's going on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I guess we don't care what happened to actual Grandma in this ending or the fact that she was pleading for help when we last saw her. :v:

Jump onto the train!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
C'mon it's too soon to explore the other path. Ask grandma what's going on

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Get on the train.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get on that train!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Black Feather posted:

Get on the train.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You have to find out if that woman in trouble is your grandmother. Besides, you’re dying to find out why those men in dark glasses were fighting with a little old lady – and having such a hard time!

The train starts to pull out of the station. You race down the platform, searching for a good spot to jump aboard. Your legs and arms pump hard, your muscles straining, as you match the speed of the train.

“COOKIE! Come back here! What are you doing?” Grandma’s voice floats after you.

If I’m wrong, you think, and the woman on the train isn’t my real grandma, I’m going to be in big trouble.

But you’re not going to back out now.

You take a deep breath and leap!

Will you make it?

quote:

You land on the small platform between train compartments. You flail your arms as you struggle to regain your balance. Once you feel steady on your feet, you fling the door open.

Everyone stares at you as you enter the car. You nervously run a hand through your hair. You try to act as if jumping between the cars of a moving train is the most natural thing in the world.

You have a feeling you’re not very convincing.

You hurry into the next car.

The struggling woman was several cars ahead. You head through the swaying train, planning to pick up the woman’s trail from where you’d last seen her.

But maybe you’re in over your head. Those thugs in dark glasses looked dangerous. Maybe you need help.

If you think you should tell someone what you saw, turn to PAGE 70.

If you want to follow the woman's trail yourself, turn to PAGE 80.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Discovered our friends and their families were all disguised aliens, then got fed to a baby alien.

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Adults are useless!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Adults are useless!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Adults are useless!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Adults are useless!

Glad to see that last bad end taught us a valuable lesson!

quote:

You have a funny feeling no one would believe you if you said you have twin grandmas and one’s in trouble on the train.

You’re not even sure if you believe you!

You decide to investigate on your own.

You continue through the moving train. You arrive at the compartment with the message in the window. It’s smeared, but traces of the red letters are still there.

You aren’t crazy, after all.

You search the seat for clues. A lost wallet. Or luggage. Anything to prove the woman’s identity.

But you find nothing.

You get to the door at the far end of the car and reach for the handle.

A heavy hand lands on your shoulder.

“Where do you think you’re going?” a gruff voice demands.

quote:

You wriggle out of the hands grasp and spin around.

The train conductor glares down at you.

Strange, you think. He’s wearing dark glasses.

But what he says isn’t strange at all.

“Ticket, please.”

Oops. You forgot about needing a ticket.

Now what?

If you stall while you try to figure a way out of the situation, turn to PAGE 21.

If you explain to the conductor the real reason you're on the train, turn to PAGE 92.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stall for time!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Stall for time!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Honesty is the best policy, especially in such normal, easily explainable circumstances.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Find a solution that isn't the truth!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
This is such an easy situation to get out of, just tell him your grandma has your ticket and you're actually looking for her.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Ticket?” you repeat. You smile up at the conductor.

He doesn’t smile back.

You spot Chuck and Ginny entering the compartment. Great!

“Hi! I was looking for you!” You dart past the conductor and join your friends. “He wants to see my ticket,” you explain. You hope they’ll come up with an idea. Or some cash.

“If you weren’t always late, you would have your ticket!” Ginny scolds. Then she winks at you.

“That’s right,” Chuck tells the conductor. “My mom is picking us up in Evanstown. She’ll pay when we arrive.”

“We promised our parents we wouldn’t get into trouble,” Ginny gushes.

You want to gag. But Ginny’s act works.

“Okay.” The conductor pats Ginny’s head. “As long as the ticket gets paid for.” He strolls out of the train car.

“What was that about?” Chuck demands. “Why are you on the train? Aren’t you supposed to be with your grandmother?”

You tell them about the strange scene you witnessed.

“That woman might be my real grandma!” you exclaim. “You have to help me search the train!”

Ginny and Chuck gaze at each other. “No way...” Chuck begins.

quote:

“No way are we going to miss out on an adventure like this!” Ginny finishes for Chuck.

“Great!” you cry. You quickly explain that you were about to check out the train cars in the direction the thugs dragged your grandma. Or the Grandma-imposter. Whoever.

“What are we waiting for!” Chuck urges. “Let’s go!”

The three of you hurry into the next car. And then the car after that. And then the car after that.

“Are you sure of what you saw?” Ginny asks. “I mean, why would two tough guys go after somebody’s grandmother?”

“Maybe it was just a coincidence that the two ladies were wearing the same clothes,” Chuck adds.

“No! I know what I saw!” you insist. But inside, you wonder the same thing.

You arrive at the last car. On the door is a yellow sign with large black letters: NO ENTRY.

You notice Ginny and Chuck exchange a worried look. Before they can change their minds about helping you, you yank open the door. The three of you pile into the car.

You gasp, stunned by the shocking sight in front of you.

quote:

You’ve entered the baggage compartment. But luggage isn’t what has the three of you frozen in place, eyes wide.

Your grandmother sits on a chair surrounded by suitcases. She gazes straight ahead, unblinking. A strange orange light beams down onto her. She doesn’t move. And although her eyes are open, she doesn’t seem to see you.

“Is she... is she... you know...?” Ginny stammers.

“I can’t tell,” you reply. “I think she’s alive, but...”

“I know a way to find out!” Chuck says. He jumps up and down, puts his fingers up his nose, and howls in Grandma’s ear.

No reaction from Grandma. You swallow hard.

“Wait. She is alive!” Ginny murmurs, creeping closer. “I can see her breathing.”

“Then why doesn’t she say something?” you worry aloud.

“Maybe she’s under some kind of spell,” Ginny whispers.

“Maybe it’s this weird light,” Chuck suggests. He waves a hand into the orange beam.

POW! Chuck’s body flies across the railroad car. He lands in a crumpled heap on top of a suitcase.

quote:

“Chuck!” you shriek. You race to his side. He’s out cold.

Ginny kneels beside you. “What happened to him?” she cries.

“The orange light. It must be a force field of some kind,” you answer. “That’s why Grandma can’t move.”

Ginny’s frightened eyes meet yours. “What are we going to do now?” she asks.

You wish you knew what to tell her.

“Whoa, what happened?” Chuck murmurs. His eyes blink open. “Who hit me?”

You and Ginny help him to his feet. “It wasn’t a ‘who,’” you explain. “It was a ‘what.’” You point to the orange force field.

“I never knew light could feel so solid.” Chuck rubs his face groggily.

“We better keep out of sight while we decide what to do,” you suggest. “No telling who’ll come in.”

Chuck and Ginny nod their agreement. The three of you duck behind a set of large trunks.

Just in time.

You hear the door slide open.

quote:

You poke your head up and peer over the trunks.

Two thugs in overcoats and sunglasses enter the baggage car. The same guys you saw fighting with your grandma!

Yikes! Did you say “guys”? When they remove their dark glasses you discover they aren’t “guys” at all! Not human guys, anyway.

Their eyes! They’re the size of ping-pong balls and glow a creepy yellow. Like lizards, they have no eyelids.

Chills of terror make your fingers and toes tingle.

You slink back down behind the trunks. “We’re in terrible danger,” you whisper to Ginny and Chuck.

Chuck gulps. “Let’s wait until they leave, then grab your grandma and scram,” he urges.

“How are we supposed to grab her through the force field?” Ginny demands. “It almost fried you.”

“Then maybe we should overpower those creeps,” Chuck suggests. “There are two of them and three of us.”

Chuck and Ginny can’t agree. They want you to decide.

If you attack the yellow-eyed creatures, turn to PAGE 57.

If you wait until they leave so you can free Grandma from the orange beam, turn to PAGE 87.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wait and hide