Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Lycus posted:

Just tell me if "OA" means "Original Angel" so I don't have to watch it to confirm my dumb joke theory.

you are correct

The first half of the first episode is really good (the russia stuff) and pretty. There's some decent stuff going on overall but the ending was just silly and ruined most of everything imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Now Brit Marling rapping just popped into my head. Wait, don't tell me that happens in the show too.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Lycus posted:

Now Brit Marling rapping just popped into my head. Wait, don't tell me that happens in the show too.

nope. i've never heard her rap and hope i never do. her voice and narration in the oa is really good, imo, and i could listen to her read the phonebook and be content.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I completely forgot about The OA

1 week until Patriot S2!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yah I loved season one of The OA but it is def not something I expect others to like.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It also has an a+++ late title card iirc which I love

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's no way Riz Ahmed comes back

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Weed Number.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

esperterra posted:

It also has an a+++ late title card iirc which I love

:agreed:

also the actor who played the dad passed away recently

:smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmfao I forgot that the x files positively confirmed aliens as real all the way back in season 1

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

War of the Worlds is one Spielberg's "that was a Spielberg movie?" movies to me, along with the three released immediately before it (Minority Report, Terminal and Catch Me If You Can).

You know, immediately before that he did Saving Private Ryan and A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which are very Spielberg movies, and then right after them he did Munich, which is another very Spielberg movie.

Munich doesn't seem like regular Spielberg. If there is such a thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

War of the Worlds feels like vintage Spielberg. You got the aliens, action, the bad father, the Jurassic Park kitchen scene.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, War of the Worlds is Spielberg as hell.

Munich feels more like him channeling '70s dudes like Peter Yates, Friedkin, Pakula, etc. Drama, thriller, action but also with an underlying purpose.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Someone talked me into watching the Sandler standup because it was good. I threw it on to get it out of the way.

It’s... actually good. What the gently caress? His first bit got me to actually laugh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Z Nation was so goddamn good tonight.

loving zomball lmfao

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think my ignorance of British politics is hindering my enjoyment of Bodyguard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaunab posted:

I think my ignorance of British politics is hindering my enjoyment of Bodyguard.

It’s like American politics with worse teeth and a two drink minimum.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone talked me into watching the Sandler standup because it was good. I threw it on to get it out of the way.

It’s... actually good. What the gently caress? His first bit got me to actually laugh.

Adam Sandler is good.

His career however has been mostly terrible lmao

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

precision posted:

The time is ripe for an ill conceived War of the Worlds remake

Edit: another one, I mean. The Spielberg one was actually okay

i'm gonna be the dissenting voice on this one and say that it was not

but that's probably because I think it misses the mark by a country mile regarding the original story's themes

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I know a couple people watch Forged In Fire: Knife Fight, does anyone find the challenges this season goddamn impossible? Specifically the double cut.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

esperterra posted:

Adam Sandler is good.

I would say his career has mostly been good, but definitely had a long stretch where he just phoned it in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

Adam Sandler is good.

Basically. When he gives a poo poo he always nailed it and he gave a poo poo on this one. It’s a lot of dumb jokes but he cracks on a bunch, which I think is why this works. It’s stuff he thinks is funny instead of a way to milk money out of a studio.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He was surprisingly good in Punch Drunk Love, which made it a shame that he was so content to make dogshit movies for idiots for most of the rest of his career.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've never seen any of Sandler's standup so I'll give it a shot. His stuff like Happy Gilmore etc are classics but I lost interest around Little Nicky or Click. But yeah Punch Drunk Love was great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Basically. When he gives a poo poo he always nailed it and he gave a poo poo on this one. It’s a lot of dumb jokes but he cracks on a bunch, which I think is why this works. It’s stuff he thinks is funny instead of a way to milk money out of a studio.

When he did that movie about a fading comedian with cancer with Seth Rogan he said in interviews he started touring again to get in the character's mindset and was so bad at first he was reading off loose pages he kept and by the end he was writing tons of new jokes and performing his routines from memory.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's one of the nicest guys in the biz too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He was v good in Reign Over Me, for another dramatic turn. Movie can be p schmaltzy but I love it and it makes Shadow of the Colossus a weirdly big focus??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He’s also great in The Meyerowitz Stories.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The special effects and make-up in the latest episode of Titans was pretty awful to say the least, it makes the CW shows look expensive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Lmfao I forgot that the x files positively confirmed aliens as real all the way back in season 1

This is why Scully's skepticism makes her look like a dumbass.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

The special effects and make-up in the latest episode of Titans was pretty awful to say the least, it makes the CW shows look expensive.

I think you've hit your head.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grem posted:

I know a couple people watch Forged In Fire: Knife Fight, does anyone find the challenges this season goddamn impossible? Specifically the double cut.

I told a friend of mine next season they're going to have a challenge where they're going to have to slice a bullet in half as it's fired at them.

But yeah, the double cut is crazy. And it would help if they explained what the penalties are before the challenges. Like the one where they have to hack through the wood, rope, and bamboo, they can do it in any order without penalty, but on the three ice blocks, they have to do it in a specific order or they'll be penalized?

I wonder if someone could win with the best time by racing through the course, taking all the penalties instead of cutting anything.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rocksicles posted:

I think you've hit your head.

The special effects make-up on the Doom Patrol members was amateurish, the CG on the tiger was bad. They even had to come up with a story that Beast Boy could only turn into a tiger, because a single badly rendered animal is all the show can afford.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

The special effects make-up on the Doom Patrol members was amateurish, the CG on the tiger was bad. They even had to come up with a story that Beast Boy could only turn into a tiger, because a single badly rendered animal is all the show can afford.

What make up? Robot man was a robot. Neg was covered in bandages and Rita was dressed like she was in a Fred Astaire movie besides two very brief cg shots. I can handle Gar leaning his abilities over time for the sake of budget. Animals are always loving hard to render, very few shows pull if off.

If you don't like it, you don't like it i guess. But you're picking threads that aren't loose. It's miles better looking than any DCW show and you know it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't have the budget to depict multiple animals in your Beast Boy tv show, you have gravely erred

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get what people are huffing about, he's been in one episode, and i'll put money on him changing into something else by the end of the season.
People have no loving patience.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I don't get what people are huffing about, he's been in one episode, and i'll put money on him changing into something else by the end of the season.
People have no loving patience.

People evidently have endless patience for lovely DC shows because they keep making them

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Man House of Cards really went to poo poo didn't it. Remember when everyone was excited about David Fincher doing a show for Netflix.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Man House of Cards really went to poo poo didn't it. Remember when everyone was excited about David Fincher doing a show for Netflix.

Yeah Mindhunter was pretty good, hope the second season turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
4 Episodes into Castlevania season 2 and I can't believe there's only 4 more. Nothing has happened. The animation budget is clearly stretched very thin too. At this point I'm going to be old and grey by the time they make it to the loving castle to fight Dracula.

I do like all the Symphony of the Night callbacks though. Dracula's rear end being glued to a chair in his 'I don't give a gently caress' pose is hilarious every time I see it.

edit: Ok, so they poured 90% of the animation budget into the 7th episode and that was pretty great. The inclusion of 'Bloody Tears' got a pop out of me.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 3, 2018