Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZDar Fan posted:

Yup, and I believe she won some kind of political seat a few years ago or something. I think most, if not all, of the VAs on that show were Canadian. I know Jean Grey was voiced by the coroner from Forever Knight.

Fun fact: Catherine Disher, who voiced Jean, was married to Cedric Smith, who voiced Professor X. He guest-starred on an episode of Forever Knight where he played a man who as a child survived an attack by Jack the Ripper, who was actually a feral vampire.

Geraint Wyn Davies, who played Nick Knight, guest-starred as the Immortal-of-the-week on an episode of Highlander where he played a doctor whose nurse and wife was called Jeannette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16zqPAzXxQ

Somebody posted this in the early FPS thread in Games a while back and described it as being "like a movie written by a predictive text generator that's been fed nothing but pre-9/11 UPN scripts" or something to that effect. It's a trip, I suggest watching at least just the intro.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Der Kyhe posted:

The only memory I have of this show is one painfully unfunny scene about a Finnish guy in a coffin.

The rest of it was terrible, too. Wasting Shaloub and Harris on that was criminal. But they went on to better things, so there's that.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

ZDar Fan posted:

Hell yeah I do. I totally had a thing for the dopey protagonist's sister. Come to think of it, I've been heavy into women with southern accents ever since Rogue off X-Men.
She was also the voice for the love interest / main character in the Final Fantasy X games, right?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Forever Knight, now that was a cool show. Before vampires were 'cool' and run into the ground.

There was another one with a werewolf who was hunting down the one who made him (I think played by a ridiculously evil Charlton Heston) which was fun as well, but I can't remember the name.

This is gonna blow your mind but it was called "Werewolf".

And the villain was Chuck Conners.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

That show was on late sunday afternoon where I lived, and I really liked it as a bored 12 yr old.

There was an episode where a racist old dude captures the titular werewolf so he can infect himself and be young again, but his black maid switches it up on him, becomes a werewolf and kills him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C.M. Kruger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16zqPAzXxQ

Somebody posted this in the early FPS thread in Games a while back and described it as being "like a movie written by a predictive text generator that's been fed nothing but pre-9/11 UPN scripts" or something to that effect. It's a trip, I suggest watching at least just the intro.

Goddamn, I've forgotten that movie existed :munch:. I kinda miss the days of goofy made-for-TV movies that are clearly not a series pilot please greenlight us :ohdear:.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The feeling I get from the first few minutes of that is that you could tell people it's a Tim and Eric production and they'd totally believe you.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Goddamn, I've forgotten that movie existed :munch:. I kinda miss the days of goofy made-for-TV movies that are clearly not a series pilot please greenlight us :ohdear:.

Those are the best MST3K episodes too (they're mostly from 70s' but still).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This girls face looks so 90’s. Not her hair, her clothes, or makeup, but her face.

https://youtu.be/mMfxI3r_LyA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

Ferrule posted:

I always forget Chuck Connors. He's one of those actors you see and immediately go, "Hey, it's that guy! He's great." but can never remember him otherwise.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ChocNitty posted:

This girls face looks so 90’s. Not her hair, her clothes, or makeup, but her face.

https://youtu.be/mMfxI3r_LyA

Lol I was like “what’s this idiot talking about ?” But yes, she absolutely does, it’s weird. I guess a bit of Juliette Lewis

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vin Diesel : Origins

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
You ever hear someone mention a company and realize you had completely forgotten it ever existed?

pangstrom posted:

I still accidentally call Home Depots and Lowes Builder's Square sometimes

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Builder’s Square, iirc, was resurrected and its shambling corpse made into an online company for a while. It’s been renamed since, to what, I forget though.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Builder’s Square, iirc, was resurrected and its shambling corpse made into an online company for a while. It’s been renamed since, to what, I forget though.

Looks like it's https://www.homeclick.com/ per wikipedia.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

You ever hear someone mention a company and realize you had completely forgotten it ever existed?

Like Gateway? Or Compaq? :rip:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

eminkey2003 posted:

Like Gateway? Or Compaq? :rip:

I can't forget Compaq, since I had one of their lovely overpriced desktops...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Compaq owns because they started out by reverse engineering a bunch of IBM stuff. They were pirates.

https://mashable.com/2014/05/29/halt-and-catch-fire-amc-compaq/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Non Serviam posted:

I can't forget Compaq, since I had one of their lovely overpriced desktops...

My very first PC (not for family usage) was a Compaq and I loved that enormous, loud baby.

I upgraded the monitor later to a sleek 27" CRT flatscreen.
That thing was 4 feet deep.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
The first somewhat modern computers my school got were Gateways. All of them. So many cow-patterned boxes. I’m pretty sure they were probably terrible but they were new computers so I doubt anyone dared complain.

I often get weirdly nostalgic for those days.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its so funny that even back then I thought it was super weird to just buy an entire computer through the mail.

I don't think I've ever bought a off the shelf computer, the closest I ever got was having someone else assemble it for me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

Inzombiac posted:

I upgraded the monitor later to a sleek 27" CRT flatscreen.
That thing was 4 feet deep.

I remember when I bought my first 20" monitor. Upgrading from the standard 12", it felt like I would never need a bigger screen in my life.

Also, I had to buy a larger desk just so I could actually have room for a keyboard because that thing was like having a wheelie bin tipped over on your desk.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Filmed in one shot with no CGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5zaDZq0sc

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Getting real tired of this poo poo, Youtube.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanagoon posted:

Getting real tired of this poo poo, Youtube.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15o91

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huh :ohdear:.

Honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner given the ready availability of Youtube and GameFAQ's.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh :ohdear:.

Honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner given the ready availability of Youtube and GameFAQ's.

Yeah, I thought they'd been dead for years. :ohdearsass:

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, I thought they'd been dead for years. :ohdearsass:

They tried to go 'digital', but it turns out asking $20 for a lovely PDF of you printed books isn't a great business model.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uli2000 posted:

They tried to go 'digital', but it turns out asking $20 for a lovely PDF of you printed books isn't a great business model.

I assume only one copy was ever sold, then uploaded to mediashare or somewhere within moments.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I honestly assumed they got by with Gamestop sales to. ids too young to access the net, or in inflated pack-in numbers for special editions.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Does anyone just sell big poster-sized game maps with notes to the side? The ones that came in magazines back in the day were just as useful as a 200-page guide book 90% of the time, as long as it wasn't a 50 hour rpg or something.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Huh, at the same time I just recently found my Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill strategy guides in an old shoebox in storage. Some really in-depth stuff that made me smile as I flipped through the pages.

So being cool in 1996 meant you had a... backpack? Yes, I kind of get that it's a ~*JanSport*~ backpack, but still.

Also, Surge didn't come out until 1997.
:goonsay:

Should be this (which I still kind of miss):

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Nov 18, 2018

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What the hell teenagers played with yo-yos back then? It was always hacky sacks and weed

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a craze for Pro-Yos when I was in primary school circa 1996, then they were replaced by Pokemon cards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a craze for Pro-Yos when I was in primary school circa 1996, then they were replaced by Pokemon cards.

Oh wow, now there was a craze for all of five minutes that I complete forgot about :stare:.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A lot of this is still cool kid, they still make No Fear shirts.

And MEC backpacks were so common at my sisters high school she thought they were issued by the school.

Also
https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/artic...bEPgWsJ-BttMd6A

I'd say that musically, the 90s is best in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

You Are A Elf posted:

Huh, at the same time I just recently found my Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill strategy guides in an old shoebox in storage. Some really in-depth stuff that made me smile as I flipped through the pages.

So being cool in 1996 meant you had a... backpack? Yes, I kind of get that it's a ~*JanSport*~ backpack, but still.

Also, Surge didn't come out until 1997.
:goonsay:

Should be this (which I still kind of miss):

The cola that makes you wanna FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

I remember the vans that used to park outside the movie theater and college dorms to promote this stuff... trying to hit that “you wanna score tonight???” Demographic.