Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

do any of you have those facebook friends always reposting stuff from country-specific groups like "only phillippino memes" or "growing up welsh?" I'd guess facebook loves those groups

i have 3 groups i follow: 1, all us from grade school; 2, roskilde festival; 3, idk i guess i only have 2 groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

so there was the gamer dude who swatted somebody, the cops went to the wrong house and ended up killing a random person in their own home because THIN BLUE LINE

during his trial it turns out dude was personally responsible for dozens of incidents and he was even doing it for hire at one point. he's pleading guilty to 46 counts but there were probably more

he went by the name "SWAuTistic", had already done time for making bomb threats and was writing things like "whoops, looks like i'm going to jail lol" after the incident

he doesn't look like he's laughing anymore now that he's gonna be locked up for a long time. tbqh i'm surprised it took this long for one of these swatting incidents to end with someone dead

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
did any of the cops who actually murdered the dude get anything more than a slap on the wrist?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They didn't even name them so doubtful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao no. they acted in the line of duty.

the closest we've ever had in canada is attempted murder, because the cop paused between volleys when emptying his magazine into a kid

the bullet that killed him was in the first volley and he was on the ground dying. the second volley was gratuitous, so attempted murder.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why do we ask questions when we already know the answers and that they'll just enrage us

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

did any of the cops who actually murdered the dude get anything more than a slap on the wrist?

when it's your job to kill people you don't get in trouble for killing people.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

when it's your job to kill people you don't get in trouble for killing people.

thats army dudes. killing people is not part of the things a police dude is supposed to do

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

coulda fooled me

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

thats army dudes. killing people is not part of the things a police dude is supposed to do

thats not what the constitution says

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i realize you were in prison for a while but things changed on the outside.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jabor posted:

cmon.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

on top of that, these cops were heading into what they believed was a hostage situation. for all they knew, the guy who came out might have been a hostage

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The_Franz posted:

he went by the name "SWAuTistic"

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the rough chuckles

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

on top of that, these cops were heading into what they believed was a hostage situation. for all they knew, the guy who came out might have been a hostage
Yeah but he could have been someone who it was ok to shoot, too, and you don't want to miss out on an opportunity.

Shootable until proven innocent, the foundation of our justice system.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lowered his hands and moved his arms so that he appeared to be drawing a weapon from his right side and raising his arm toward officers."

In the court document, the city says an officer armed with a rifle "perceived that the male presented an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to those officers and fired one shot to protect those officers."

:discourse:

don't recall any of that poo poo from the video

e: Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said that the deadly use of force by the officer in the Dec. 28 shooting of Andrew Finch, 28, was reasonable considering the circumstances officers believed they faced when they arrived on the scene.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's cool the police just take the word of anyone reporting a crime even though fake reports have existed forever.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's cool that courts apply radically different standards to civilians than they do police when testimony is at issue

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PokeJoe posted:

It's cool the police just take the word of anyone reporting a crime even though fake reports have existed forever.

except rape which is the exact opposite of everything you said

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Another extremely cool thing is because of basically one insane shootout involving the FBI and two heavily armed bank robbers Police departments around the country have adopted high capacity pistols, and moved away the old policy of Stop Shoot and Assess to assess while firing (just keep shooting until they're dead)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jit bull transpile posted:

except rape which is the exact opposite of everything you said

Yes that's true

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's summarize:

If the person committing a crime is a minority, they're guilty and thus deemed to be punished by death.

If the person reporting the crime is a minority or a woman, they are lying and should be ignored.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

well you gotta randomize it a bit so its not too obvious but basically yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The_Franz posted:

he went by the name "SWAuTistic", had already done time for making bomb threats and was writing things like "whoops, looks like i'm going to jail lol" after the incident

he doesn't look like he's laughing anymore now that he's gonna be locked up for a long time. tbqh i'm surprised it took this long for one of these swatting incidents to end with someone dead

was this the one where the neighbor walked out the front door and got shot in the brain or was that a different recent swatting

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's cool that courts apply radically different standards to civilians than they do police when testimony is at issue

never forget that police are civilians

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

never forget that police are civilians

they were, once upon a time

that's not true anymore

they are a special legal class, now

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

well you gotta randomize it a bit so its not too obvious but basically yeah

Right, forgot to add:

If person who is killed is a bicyclist and was struck by a car, the driver of the car is absolved of all guilt.

I know this is Shaggar bait but holy gently caress is this sadly true way too often. Look at any article detailing a bike getting hit by a car and they usually go out of their way to blame the bike rider vs the car driver.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
your car insurance company sees it quite differently i assure you

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

iospace posted:

Right, forgot to add:

If person who is killed is a bicyclist and was struck by a car, the driver of the car is absolved of all guilt.

I know this is Shaggar bait but holy gently caress is this sadly true way too often. Look at any article detailing a bike getting hit by a car and they usually go out of their way to blame the bike rider vs the car driver.

not even just bicycles, but really any form of transportation that isn't a car. when i go for walks with headphones in I always keep the volume low so i can still hear cars

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they were, once upon a time

that's not true anymore

they are a special legal class, now

the pseudo-military ranks and general outlook they've historically cultivated has always been real weird. why aren't there grunt cops, they just decided to all be officers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the pseudo-military ranks and general outlook they've historically cultivated has always been real weird. why aren't there grunt cops, they just decided to all be officers

this shirt is actually funny and kind of good

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

im the hatbrows

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

actually its 100% bad

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

dont sign

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there totally are grunt cops with grunt ranks. the police officer thing is (i believe) referring to them as officers of the law. like parole officer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

acab

gently caress the police

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sadly it’s a ‘shop from some hipster’s art “exhibit”

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this shirt but instead of an m&m it’s paul blart on a segway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1058673130649108481

https://twitter.com/noniq/status/1058088284918824960