Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We already had the perfect threat title suggestion a while back though?

Splicer posted:

Stellaris 2.2: Remove tiles, insert genitals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Torrannor posted:

Look we can't just use every great idea Splicer has or we'd be changing it four times a day or something

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torrannor posted:

It's not 2.2 yet!

Also Cynic Jester has half credit on that one.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Reveilled posted:

Then re-hire Alexis Kennedy to write an event chain about the buddhist death cult of engineers who glimpsed the mathematical limits of the universe while designing it.

It's somewhat wheel-shaped.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When Stellaris eventually gets its diplomacy update, I really hope diplomatic messages change during the crisis. The sprawling tree empire in the far galactic north just got an outbreak of unbidden, right as I was gearing up to try to take down the Spiritualist Awakened Empire. Sadly when I message them it's the same old "it's good to see you friend" instead of "oh god, please, they're killing us, they're killing us all. There's so many, we can't stop them. Please help, you have to do something, please, anything. We're dying!"

I might feel more inclined to help out that way instead of just hoping the Unbidden take a few bites out of the Spiritualists before their AI inevitably stalls and they stop expanding.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I feel like shapeshifter would be a genetic trait that increases influence with some kind of weird diplomatic effect

+opinion and trust growth with everyone. ++opinion with xenophiles. ---opinion with xenophobes. This also applies if you are a machine empire (Everyone's a T-1000!) to lesser effect on the positives.

The contingency trying to infiltrate you would fall apart instantly.

It can also be a placeholder for when infiltration is added. :ssh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Drive-by posting while I look, do we have a date on this big patch coming soon? I'm told it makes the game worth looking at again if I was immediately turned off by the game initially, through removal of tiles and the like, so I'm looking forward to trying it

(edit: and having my own go at failing at making The Culture, of course, like any good sci fi dork, idc if it's been modded in already)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ciaphas posted:

Drive-by posting while I look, do we have a date on this big patch coming soon? I'm told it makes the game worth looking at again if I was immediately turned off by the game initially, through removal of tiles and the like, so I'm looking forward to trying it

(edit: and having my own go at failing at making The Culture, of course, like any good sci fi dork, idc if it's been modded in already)

No date yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ciaphas posted:

Being the Culture is relatively late game but you can certainly stake a course towards it from the beginning

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ciaphas posted:

I will say pretty much everything has changed already (and you don't need any DLC for most of it). When Stellaris first came out I enjoyed it but found it kind of generic, but the changes since then have made it a very different and much better game.

No date on the big economy changes patch yet, but they're still announcing semi-major changes and finding bugs regularly on the developer play stream, so if I were a betting person I would say maybe December or (probably more likely) early January. This is just a wild guess, though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It might be a nice Christmas present, but I think they would want to get it out before the Steam winter sale.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
On the other hand, maybe they want to wait until after the holidays so they can hotfix instead of the entire studio going on vacation this time!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

No date yet. The consensus is "maybe this year, more likely next".

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Bigger question is which will be out first: Next version of StarSector or Stellaris 2: LeGuin Bugaloo?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If Paradox was a US company with proper god-fearing labor practices the update would be out in time for Christmas/the Steam winter sale, but they're godless communists from the far north so the entire studio just disappears on some heathen ritual known as "vacation" for a month and the update's not releasing until early 2019 I bet.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
So, Stellaris: MegaCorp is coming out on May Day?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So how long should the Great Khan's death throw things into disarray? Somewhere around 2300, the horde went active and our empire of useless pacifists immediately surrendered to them and became their satrapy. The Khan's mighty fleets proved much, much less effective against the empire of fanatic purifiers they invaded next, and the Khan immediately died and sent the horde into disarray.

It is now 2510. I have been getting the Mith-Fell horde's voicemail for about 200 years. I can't break allegiance with them. They still wander around sort of behaving like they're supposed to? They like to stack up huge fleets in deadends or bombard the same planet for a few decades while waiting for troop fleets that never come. It doesn't look like anyone can declare war on me (or maybe they can but they're afraid of the horde), but several governmental reforms later, we ended up as non-pacifists and got to declare a war or two with the colossus total war CB.

I'm not running any mods and the game's in iron man mode because I wanted to hunt steam achievements. Any advice for how to unfuck the game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In that case, do you think enough is going to change in the patch that trying to learn the game now would just be a fools errand? That’s always my worry with this sort of thing

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bedurndurn posted:

So how long should the Great Khan's death throw things into disarray? Somewhere around 2300, the horde went active and our empire of useless pacifists immediately surrendered to them and became their satrapy. The Khan's mighty fleets proved much, much less effective against the empire of fanatic purifiers they invaded next, and the Khan immediately died and sent the horde into disarray.

It is now 2510. I have been getting the Mith-Fell horde's voicemail for about 200 years. I can't break allegiance with them. They still wander around sort of behaving like they're supposed to? They like to stack up huge fleets in deadends or bombard the same planet for a few decades while waiting for troop fleets that never come. It doesn't look like anyone can declare war on me (or maybe they can but they're afraid of the horde), but several governmental reforms later, we ended up as non-pacifists and got to declare a war or two with the colossus total war CB.

I'm not running any mods and the game's in iron man mode because I wanted to hunt steam achievements. Any advice for how to unfuck the game?

kill the Khan

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bedurndurn posted:

Sounds like an unfixable bug, the disarray shouldn't last more than a year or two. If it wasn't in ironman you could probably use the console to fix things. I'm not sure if ironman lets you save edit, but you might be able to remove the horde's vassals including yourself if you unzip the save file and tinker about with the gamestate file.

Ciaphas posted:

In that case, do you think enough is going to change in the patch that trying to learn the game now would just be a fools errand? That’s always my worry with this sort of thing

The patch is far enough away that you could easily master the current systems in the time available, which would put you in the same position as the rest of us when the patch does finally drop. Only the game's internal economy is really changing, diplomacy and warfare are essentially staying the same, as are things like perks and traditions.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Rumda posted:

kill the Khan

Save the Galaxy

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I had a fun glitch with the khan. They get up to expanding and hit a wall in my territory. turns out with .25 planets, there were no empires in their lands to invade, other than a fallen empire they bounced off of. they grow, grow, claiming systems with no inhabited worlds. eventually the khan dies after hitting my defenses, and it fall into disarray. then form an empire. the empire has no planets, just space based territory. Touching me. i demand protectorate, they agree right away, and integrate, real cheap, cause no pops. i think i gained 40 systems.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

The only reason not to play the game now is because you've already played it for hundreds of hours and are so stupidly excited for the next update that you don't want to play anymore because of how awesome all the changes look.

Buy the game. Play the game. Don't worry about the next update because there's no way to know when it will be out.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

You might want to wait because it will probably be on sale then.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, if you don't own it wait on a sale to buy it. But if you do own it, even if just the base game, then it's definitely worth playing now. Unless you've been following the new patch closely and now can't enjoy the game because you constantly think about the new features while playing (don't do that).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I've got the base game, just been poking at the DLC lists. I assume the only ones with actual content besides essentially .PNG files are the Apocalypse, Megacorp and Utopia entries, right? I'm not too familiar with how Paradox or other games of this ilk operate, how 'optional' is the DLC?

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, I've got the base game, just been poking at the DLC lists. I assume the only ones with actual content besides essentially .PNG files are the Apocalypse, Megacorp and Utopia entries, right? I'm not too familiar with how Paradox or other games of this ilk operate, how 'optional' is the DLC?

Leviathans, Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Apocalypse, Distant Stars and the upcoming Megacorp are the one with mechanics or content additions. You can play Stellaris just fine without DLC though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Distant Stars adds .txt files (which are highly regarded by the thread) and a possible midgame crisis, and I think gestalt consciousnesses in general (machine intelligence, biological hive minds) are a Synthetic Dawn feature. It's a slightly different gameplay style, bit more than just new .png files.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well machine intelligence is part and parcel of The Culture, lord knows, so gotta have that one I guess

and yeah sorry if I sounded disparaging with my DLC description, I figured (rightly, it seems) you'd all know what I meant :v:

(edit) make sure I like the game at all first, of course, as long as none of them are mechanically vital. Cheers :cheers:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ciaphas posted:

well machine intelligence is part and parcel of The Culture, lord knows, so gotta have that one I guess

and yeah sorry if I sounded disparaging with my DLC description, I figured (rightly, it seems) you'd all know what I meant :v:

(edit) make sure I like the game at all first, of course, as long as none of them are mechanically vital. Cheers :cheers:

All of the DLCs add things, but most of the things that were added when they released were added to the base game as patches. Off the top of my head:

Utopia does something with Traditions
Leviathans adds giant space monsters to fight
Synthetic Dawn lets you play as hive minds and gestalt machine consciousnesses
Distant Stars added a shitload of events and the Great Khan mid-game crisis
Apocalypse added Colossi and super-weapons for removing planets from the game

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Strobe posted:

All of the DLCs add things, but most of the things that were added when they released were added to the base game as patches. Off the top of my head:

Utopia does something with Traditions
Leviathans adds giant space monsters to fight
Synthetic Dawn lets you play as hive minds and gestalt machine consciousnesses
Apocalypse added Colossi and super-weapons for removing planets from the game

Actually I think Khans were Apocalypse.

But yeah, generally each patch they'll redo one or more gameplay mechanics, which is free for all players. Then they'll add a few toys that are available with the DLC, which are nice additions but not required.

For example, the patch with Utopia added the tradition trees, which let you specialize your empire over time using a new resource called unity (think talent trees or the cultural traditions from Civilization 5), as well as ascension perks where you picked one large bonus when you completed a tree (actually IIRC the perks themselves were originally DLC but future patches made them a base game feature). The Utopia DLC that you pay for gives additional cool ascension perks you could choose from, like options for your civilization to upload themselves to robot bodies or begin building enormous space structures like ringworlds.

So basically most of the changes are free but each DLC adds some more fun stuff to play with.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 3, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Strobe posted:

I don't have distant stars (waiting for sale!) and I get the Great Khan appearing so I don't think he's part of that DLC.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Leviathans adds: Big space monsters, Artisan/curator etc. stations in space you can trade and interact with, Fallen Empires going to war against each other.
Utopia adds: Megastructures and habitats, ascension paths (becoming robots and such) and playing as a hive mind.
Synthetic Dawn adds: Machine empires
Apocalypse adds: Planet destroyers, titan class combat ships, Space mongols including the great khan midgame event, unity ambitions.
Distant Stars adds: Bunch of new events, and a new special cluster of stars that can only be reached through special wormholes with unique resources.
Megacorps adds: play as a megacorp, city world and other megastructures and probably other stuff that hasnt been announced yet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just about done downloading. Hope the game is going to explain all these mechanics or is at least as thoroughly hover-tooltipped as I imagine :pray:

(edit) would the Adeptus Mechanicus of Mars be a machine empire or a megacorp :thunk:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A lot of the DLCs add advisor voices and music as well. Even Humanoids does.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Just about done downloading. Hope the game is going to explain all these mechanics or is at least as thoroughly hover-tooltipped as I imagine :pray:

(edit) would the Adeptus Mechanicus of Mars be a machine empire or a megacorp :thunk:

there's an okay-ish tutorial you can turn on for your first run

there are indeed hella tooltips

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

synth ascended megacorp with fanatic spiritualist authoritarian, ai servitude, imperial cult

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

synth ascended megacorp with fanatic spiritualist authoritarian, ai servitude, imperial cult

the fact that you were able to answer with what sounds like very specific ingame terminology tells me i just might enjoy this, if i can beat the learning curve/my default "mild dislike" of strategy games :v:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

the fact that you were able to answer with what sounds like very specific ingame terminology tells me i just might enjoy this, if i can beat the learning curve/my default "mild dislike" of strategy games :v:

as a bonus you can cause the Iron Men problem if you really balls it all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in the current version though you're probably just Authoritarian Materialists with the Machinist civic, beelining for Cybernetic Ascenscion