Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Episodic entertainment > serialized entertainment, by a country mile. No story is so good that it can be serialized for much longer than a few episodes. You can't sustain that poo poo. Episodic is better because it tells a single,self contained story with some characters, and then gets out. It doesn't stretch out a single story for episode after episode. Each episode is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm ok with both. Twilight Zone would be what comes to mind as episodic for me and Futurama would be the middle ground between the two.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
To keep it on-topic for the thread - It's okay to like media that you like and let other people enjoy media they like.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Even when I was raving about TV shows yesterday, when I stop an think about it there none that I really explicity hate, there are plenty shows that I've watched 1 or 2 episodes of and just saw nothing in them that made me want more. It's give and take though, I think the vast majority of people who spend their free time watching television don't actually care about investing in the plot or characters, its just an excuse to have a voice in the background.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

starkebn posted:

To keep it on-topic for the thread - It's okay to like media that you like and let other people enjoy media they like.

Unless it's anime. Those people are nerds and we should bully them.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The thing about people who watch anime is that statistically some of them could be normal but in reality they all have an unusual feature. Might be parental abuse, might be drug problems, might be permanently unemployed, might be the children of prostitution, might be social anxiety, might just be a cleft palate but absolutely no-one that works a 9-5 and has 2 kids and a mortgage cares about a bunch of over the top cartoons. Its a medium aimed at the most outcast of society and they buy into it happily.

The worst part about the fans is that they always need something new to appease them because none of the actual content matters. Its just any excuse to have something new that their brain can absorb. They don't talk about classic cinema or albums the way music or film fans do. The best thing is whatever's newest because that's the thing that gave them a tiny bit of enjoyment most recently.

Anime fans arnt evil or anything but they are worth less than an average human being

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lol

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Well you've got an anime avatar so its not like you are gonna care about any anti anime sentiment. Why should you? You've got a Japanese tv guide to browse to see which new tv series is gonna make you forget you are a living person for 22 minutes this Saturday night. Well then, chop chop, get to it.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Sport fans are insufferable but at least they watch real people doing real physical things. Anime fans its all well tonight Matthew I'm gonna watch transforming space aliens, tomorrow its some cafe run by ursus maritimus.

Maybe they should do an anime about someone going to college and getting a real job to inspire all the less fortunate in their society.

Oh wait this is SA so some mouth breather with an anime avatar is gonna come out the woodwork with 10 different examples before retreating to their rent free room in their patents Midwest apartment. Save yourself the time i won't watch them cuz its all shite.

edit: its not like Im making this judgement on a whim, I've watched a few episodes of various animes over the years, including when I was younger and had a much more open mind and its all total garbage, sorry if this hurts your feelings

CrRoMa has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Nov 3, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

CrRoMa posted:

Maybe they should do an anime about someone going to college and getting a real job
You're describing Aggretsuko, Netflix has a poorly localised but seemingly faithful adaptation. It's okay, not something you'll fall head over heels for.
There are a couple pretty great animes, but by and large almost all anime is trash. Not unlike western cartoons in that manner.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So what are we up to now? Four, five people that regularly troll this thread? Can it even be called trolling anymore if all the thread regulars are doing it?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So what are we up to now? Four, five people that regularly troll this thread? Can it even be called trolling anymore if all the thread regulars are doing it?

It's called "actively discussing something". If it's something a mod doesn't like reading about, it gets labeled as trolling, otherwise it's just posting. I never "troll". I may post disingenuous things to try and get a rise out of people at times, but it's all in good fun, and in my opinion, in the spirit of the thread. I mean, the thread is basically "post controversial opinions", in my unpopular opinion (with mods) you can't complain when people do exactly that. But, well, here we are.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

stop complaining about derails in discussion threads

and I'm pretty sure the ~trolls~ in this thread are actually just dumb spergs

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I mean, when half the posts read like they were explicitly designed to piss someone off, I don't really view what happens as a "discussion" in any sense of the word.

It kind of gets tiring to read page after page of "everyone who engages in this relatively normal activity/tradition/media is a complete moron with no ability to function in regular society. Try and debate me, losers :smug:" It gets a bit tiring, you know?

Maybe people can just, idk, share their unpopular opinions and discuss them, without dumb posturing or whatever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Alright fine we'll stop insulting anime, don't get so worked up about it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I never "troll". I may post disingenuous things to try and get a rise out of people
That is the literal definition of trolling.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's called "actively discussing something". If it's something a mod doesn't like reading about, it gets labeled as trolling, otherwise it's just posting. I never "troll". I may post disingenuous things to try and get a rise out of people at times, but it's all in good fun, and in my opinion, in the spirit of the thread. I mean, the thread is basically "post controversial opinions", in my unpopular opinion (with mods) you can't complain when people do exactly that. But, well, here we are.

...I mean...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I never troll, I just occasionally hide under a bridge and mug people and oh goddammit now I'm up to my ears in billy goats.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I watched LOGH, Acca 13 and like one or two other series, so its true, I have signed a blood pact with the gods of anime to defend the medium to the death!

Or I just got tired of reading the same smug confrontational tone from posters in this thread on seemingly any subject, no matter how petty or insignificant.

Its one of the two.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cartoons are pretty good sometimes, whatever country they're from.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

stop complaining about derails in discussion threads

and I'm pretty sure the ~trolls~ in this thread are actually just dumb spergs

actually, asperger's isn't even in the DSM and hasn't been fo-

Tiggum posted:

That is the literal definition of trolling.

Anyway, I think most people misunderestimate how smart/dumb kids are. Most kids can be shockingly prescient one minute and then huge frothing idiots the next, because that's how kids work. Behind their dumbass child brain lurks an actual human brain working at a breakneck pace to understand the world.

This can go both ways- like, saying "do you want to get an N I N T E N D O for his B I R T H D A Y" right in front of a nine year old who can definitely spell. Assuming the kid is as stupid as a dog.

OR extrapolating "my kid waited for a day before telling me her tooth fell out to see if the tooth fairy was real" to stdh like "my kid launched a study on whether or not the tooth fairy was real and got so many of her classmates involved that even the teacher stopped the usual curriculum and contacted several local professors to join in, and oh also she independently came up with marxism after realizing the truth." Assuming the kid is a genius because they did some basic kid logic and figured something out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CrRoMa posted:

The thing about people who watch anime is that statistically some of them could be normal but in reality they all have an unusual feature. Might be parental abuse, might be drug problems, might be permanently unemployed, might be the children of prostitution, might be social anxiety, might just be a cleft palate but absolutely no-one that works a 9-5 and has 2 kids and a mortgage cares about a bunch of over the top cartoons. Its a medium aimed at the most outcast of society and they buy into it happily.

The worst part about the fans is that they always need something new to appease them because none of the actual content matters. Its just any excuse to have something new that their brain can absorb. They don't talk about classic cinema or albums the way music or film fans do. The best thing is whatever's newest because that's the thing that gave them a tiny bit of enjoyment most recently.

Anime fans arnt evil or anything but they are worth less than an average human being

It's true, I used to watch anime but then I got a girlfriend and a mortgage. Haven't watched an anime since

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wish two worlds were still around to showcase what a terrible human being he is.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

I never troll, I just occasionally hide under a bridge and mug people and oh goddammit now I'm up to my ears in billy goats.

All in good fun, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I watched LOGH, Acca 13 and like one or two other series, so its true, I have signed a blood pact with the gods of anime to defend the medium to the death!

Or I just got tired of reading the same smug confrontational tone from posters in this thread on seemingly any subject, no matter how petty or insignificant.

Its one of the two.

I think it’s just desperate nerds who have such empty lives they need someone to feel superior too.

Anime fans have the foreign thing so it’s just an easier target. Their is literally nothing worse than a nerd with a superiority complex as it is not only completely unearned but lacks even the most basic self reflection.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's insanely easy to feel superior to peeps who chat at great length about their financial investments and longterm plans as though we don't have maybe 20 years of a moderately-inhabitable planet left and their reverence of the flim-flammery that is capitalism is the cause.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Tubgoat posted:

It's insanely easy to feel superior to peeps who chat at great length about their financial investments and longterm plans as though we don't have maybe 20 years of a moderately-inhabitable planet left and their reverence of the flim-flammery that is capitalism is the cause.

Yeah, but dunking on zaurg is unbelievably satisfying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, but dunking on zaurg is unbelievably satisfying.

People tried to help Zaurg at first so at this point it’s his own fault

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hate to bite , but the bait here is when he said "anime about going to college and getting a job" because im p. sure everyone knows theres a bazillion anime just about that.

e: why is the conversation never on the page i post on.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

must be a real miserable state of mind to live in

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Strategic Tea posted:

It really is. I wish I could just be a psychopath like our glorious leaders or an uncaring intellectually-incurious mook like centrists, but this is my lot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

It really is. I wish I could just be a psychopath like our glorious leaders or an uncaring intellectually-incurious mook like centrists, but this is my lot.

Thank you for your service.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean you can’t really escape reality and it’s probably not healthy to do so.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Philosophers and shamans have struggled with such questions for all of human history, and to my knowledge no definitive answer has been found. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." -famous Reader's Digest aphorism. Maybe that's true, maybe it's just a depressed dude projecting.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No, that sounds consistent with capitalism/feudalism.

The Goldbergs is a deeply mediocre show and they owe some serious loving royalties to VH1's "I Love the 80s."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Capitalism is good you dork. Without it we wouldn't have the McRib.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tubgoat posted:

No, that sounds consistent with capitalism/feudalism.

Feudalism is very different from capitalism. Under feudalism the king, and the lords under him, have a religious and moral duty to protect those loyal to them. Under capitalism no such duty exists, the only duty is profit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the McRib is a horrible symptom of capitalism, but also, it's good. Or not good but it hits the spot.

Double processed astronaut pork anus meat, rehydrated and pressed into a shape that resembles ribs? Shouldn't be good. But it is.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The McRib is delicious albeit terrible.

doverhog posted:

Feudalism is very different from capitalism. Under feudalism the king, and the lords under him, have a religious and moral duty to protect those loyal to them. Under capitalism no such duty exists, the only duty is profit.
You spend literally your entire lifetime on this planet working for someone else's benefit under threat of agonising death unless you luck into unassailable privilege and/or are a ruthless enough fucker to continuously exploit everyone you know. Seems like a similar outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
McDonalds food is great, they have these signature burgers in atm and its a proper chunky burger. The chips are like crack as well.

In fact until they introduced the touch screens i didn't really know the menu outside big macs and cheeseburgers. If you get a burger with a salad and a coffee its not even that unhealthy

Also dipping the fries in the milkshakes is legit