Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
manga readers should be banned from posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Super Action Statue Johnny Joestar definitely isn't the best they've done, but I was fortunate to get one with only a little bit of derpface. Some are very bad.

imo any johnny figure that comes with something to keep it upright that isn't just a horse is doing it wrong

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009
I was legit impressed about the boat detail (and made a dumb post about it) but then now you mention it they wouldn't have been able to start the 'second' boat with that key would've they?

Also is Sprite not a thing in some countries or did a translator just not know what the hell it was?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

somepartsareme posted:

no, it's pretty easy to not be a dipshit and post spoilers

just probate the dipshits and scrub their posts clean before replacing it with 'I'm a dipshit!'

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Johnny Joestar posted:

no, it's pretty easy to not be a dipshit and post spoilers

just probate the dipshits and scrub their posts clean before replacing it with 'I'm a dipshit!'

just in general

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Night Goat posted:

Also is Sprite not a thing in some countries or did a translator just not know what the hell it was?

Probably the same reason Moody Blues is now Moody Jazz.

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Probably the same reason Moody Blues is now Moody Jazz.

Ah yeah. You'd think they could just have it as lemonade or something else generic instead? Gotta be SPARITE!

I unironically enjoy some of the dumb copyright changes in part 5. Lil' Bomber and Zipperman in particular just seems so lazy that I can't help but like them.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Night Goat posted:

Ah yeah. You'd think they could just have it as lemonade or something else generic instead? Gotta be SPARITE!

I unironically enjoy some of the dumb copyright changes in part 5. Lil' Bomber and Zipperman in particular just seems so lazy that I can't help but like them.

FWIW, some of those have been around for a while. I think Zipper Man got it's start in All Star Battle.

I'm really interested in seeing how they handle some of the stuff in part 6 if/when they get to it, especially towards the end. Disney in particular might have a few things to say about Where The gently caress Is Mickey.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Lol I just remembered that Mistas hat serves a practical function

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

somepartsareme posted:

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

dogsicle posted:

so they drove off in Lagoon 2 after the yacht guy gave them a key labeled 1. was this addressed in the manga when the ship-in-a-ship thing was revealed? it seems like a way to hint at something being up immediately but also if 2 is wrapped around 1 then why did the key for 1 work?

it mostly just struck my curiosity, idc if it turns out to be another forgotten detail.

The gang drove off in Lagoon 1. It has Lagoon 2 written on the outside because Zucchero deflated Lagoon 2 and wrapped it around Lagoon 1 with his Soft Machine.

E: The reason the key works is because the gang sticks the key in the key slot for Lagoon 1. Whenever they enter the interior of the ship, they pass through the thin layer of Lagoon 2 around the outside without realizing it.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 3, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

The gang drove off in Lagoon 1. It has Lagoon 2 written on the outside because Zucchero deflated Lagoon 2 and wrapped it around Lagoon 1 with his Soft Machine.

E: The reason the key works is because the gang sticks the key in the key slot for Lagoon 1. Whenever they enter the interior of the ship, they pass through the thin layer of Lagoon 2 around the outside without realizing it.

I just assumed that the key works because it's such a thin layer that it isn't going to make the key not work anymore

somepartsareme posted:

Please do not make me stop posting in the anime thread, I enjoy posting there with the anime only people and not dropping hints about future things

Unrelated, I know people liked that one goon's analysis of the art of JJBA, but I've been wondering if anybody here would be interested in a write-up about the themes I've picked up on while going through the series. Idk if it'd interest anyone or not since my main believe is that Araki continues to toy with Fate, Time, and Life as multiple interconnected pieces that continuously play a major role in each part and I don't know if anyone would actually find that interesting or not.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So that was Sale in the car with Zucchero, right?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah its Sale, they just gave him his actual design instead of a Shadow Man. I imagine they'll do the same with Diavolo on a smaller level

FirstAidKite posted:

Please do not make me stop posting in the anime thread, I enjoy posting there with the anime only people and not dropping hints about future things
No.

and yes! I would. I love JoJo but I will say Arakis bigger themes have always felt nebulous to me

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated, I know people liked that one goon's analysis of the art of JJBA, but I've been wondering if anybody here would be interested in a write-up about the themes I've picked up on while going through the series. Idk if it'd interest anyone or not since my main believe is that Araki continues to toy with Fate, Time, and Life as multiple interconnected pieces that continuously play a major role in each part and I don't know if anyone would actually find that interesting or not.

:justpost:

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

I wonder if any of these teams will show up later in the story. Perhaps the squadra esecuzioni, which has unique silhouettes while everyone else has generic ones?

Also for some reason, the squadra guardie del corpo seems to have the silhouettes of Abbacchio on the left and Mista on the right, under someone who might be Pericolo as the capo, even though they're not given the mission until after The Sex Pistols' Debut.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This fall has been nonstop drops of some big name romhacks. We just got SMT If... like last week.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I was thinking about it earlier but...the anime adaptation of Stone Ocean is gonna be love or hate.

Stone Ocean is just SO weird, I'm not sure it's going to have the massive widespread appeal the rest have had.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo has always been weird.

but nah I kinda get what you mean. im not surprised that the favorite part of anime watchers is Part 2, the one with the most typical set up with a (realtively) lighter glazing of weird designs and ideas. I don't mean for this to sound snobby, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that Part 2 also happens to be my least favorite.

I've come to terms that JoJo is honestly kind of a sloppy story, one that I could totally see why it would loses people, hell I know people that just think everything about it is gross and stupid but it's one that really jumped out to me when I was kind of burnt on shonen stories and that it's just fun to experience cause it's having doing it's dumb poo poo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Right, I know JoJo is obviously incredibly weird (Part 8 anime eventually is going to be...a thing) but I can see a whole bunch of people being very put off by Stone Ocean. Especially the ending.

But at least then Steel Ball Run will happened and gently caress I can't wait for a Steel Ball Run anime.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Right, I know JoJo is obviously incredibly weird (Part 8 anime eventually is going to be...a thing) but I can see a whole bunch of people being very put off by Stone Ocean. Especially the ending.

But at least then Steel Ball Run will happened and gently caress I can't wait for a Steel Ball Run anime.

I think anime only peoples' perception of the part 6 ending will almost solely hinge on the tone (hopeful? somber?) of the music they use for the epilogue. I mean I remember iggy dying in the manga and just thinking "oh poo poo, that sucks" but in the anime I was crying like an idiot when that music started

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Part 6 is prob my favourite but I can see why it might not be so popular, what with the main plot being driven by complete nonsense. I really hope people won't be too bothered by it though because the characters are pretty cool and the stand fights get completely bonkers and I love that.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Oh yeah for sure, Part 6 is absolutely Araki going "You thought Part 5 was bonkers?" *cracks knuckles*

Also F.F. is the best jobro, fight me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I think anime only peoples' perception of the part 6 ending will almost solely hinge on the tone (hopeful? somber?) of the music they use for the epilogue. I mean I remember iggy dying in the manga and just thinking "oh poo poo, that sucks" but in the anime I was crying like an idiot when that music started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yCcXgbKrE

I swear to god if they don't

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm all about that so post away!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like people dislike the new season every single time because it's not like the previous one, and take a while to warm up to it, and part 6 will be no different. It's the most bizarre part, but I don't think anything other than the ending is THAT out there in terms of the writing, it's just on a bigger scale since the whole idea of punch ghosts kinda goes out the window so often in that part.

Thinking about it, a lot of the stands remind me more of stuff you'd see out of the Rohan stories, or Dead Man's Tales, where it was less about one specific power and more like a giant area just being hosed up in general.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heavy Weather is undeniably the asspulliest asspull in the whole series (maybe excepting if something happens in Part 8 that I haven't read yet) and I can't wait for the reaction to the explanation for it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Weather's true power being sealed away I feel is pretty well foreshadowded unless you just mean that being able to turn people into snails through intense subliminal messaging made manifest transmitted through rainbows is incredibly wild power to have

and yeah it is

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

Weather's true power being sealed away I feel is pretty well foreshadowded unless you just mean that being able to turn people into snails through intense subliminal messaging made manifest transmitted through rainbows is incredibly wild power to have

The second thing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
to be FAIR

everytime Weather does anything, it's some incredibly overpowered bullshit, making cloud suits, able to punch a dude so hard, the mere friction from clouds causes them to combust, being able to summon a tornado to pick up and drop incredibly poisonous frogs etc, so Awakened Weather has to be able to do absolutely insane stuff

Araki made Storm look weak as poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And I'm saying even by those standards, Heavy Weather is loving gonzo bonkers loving bugnuts crazy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there's a guy making spiderman real and another one conjuring the Miami dolphins and plane crash from the earth, don't get mad at weather!!

once they leave the jail, everything in Part 6 is some of the best poo poo in jojo

jolyne getting punched so hard she starts turning inside out so she turns herself into a mobius strip ftw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

jolyne getting punched so hard she starts turning inside out so she turns herself into a mobius strip ftw

This is one of my favorite things any JoJo ever does

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm still not a billion percent sure what Sky High even DOES.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you think the Part 6 anime will do anything with Araki's Giorno tease?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok so let me start off by defining 3 important things that I notice come up time and time again within Jojo

We have Fate, we have Time, and we have Life.

Life is how much a person is actually alive. This is their soul, their life force, and the major sources of combat throughout the series, be it stand powers, spin, or ripple, all have some major tie back to life. Recall that the ripple is a sun-powered martial art designed around defeating the undead by healing them back to a death state. It is the idea that the body naturally stores the life-giving energy of the sun and through special breathing you can then tap into that energy and allow yourself to heal wounds, to grow plants, to transfer life energy and power to another person, even the ability to see into the future and see what one's own fate will be. Also note that spin is a method of medicinal healing as well as a form of execution, the ultimate form of which is through rapid aging. In other words, the ultimate form of execution through spin is to cause someone to rapidly die of natural causes. Stands, meanwhile, are direct representations of a person's soul, with stands existing as a less healing-adjacent power. Stands have shown that they are more than capable of aiding in health, be it Jotaro using his stand to pump hearts in order to help revive Joseph, Josuke using Crazy Diamond to fix things, Giorno Giovanna's Gold Experience being capable of granting life to inanimate objects, or Jolyne's use of her stand as a means of stitching herself back together. There are plenty of other examples of stands that can perform some manner of healing, but my point is less that stands have been used to heal as much as my point is that stands, ripple, and spin are all directly connected to life in some fashion, with spin and ripple representing a particular kind of physical action that a person can perform to tap into that life energy while stands are actual representations of the soul and, through that connection, are influenced by and transfer the damage taken to their user (except in the cases where they don't, but those have always been treated as outlier cases).

Time is time. Time keeps on moving. A year goes by really quickly and honestly I could just link the picture of the zybourne clock timeline and it'd sum up this section pretty well but the thing that everyone needs to realize is that there is the Actual Timeline and the Experienced Timeline. To use Groundhog Day as a reference, the Actual Timeline is the time that we experience, the film itself, its runtime, where we are only shown what is happening. The Experienced Timeline however is the knowledge that we have only seen a portion of the time that the main character spent in a time loop. We are given several hints showing just how long he has been stuck in this loop, but we the audience thankfully do not need to sit through decades of days of Bill Murray learning to play an instrument and learning entire languages.

The last thing to define is Fate. Fate is a far more fluid and semi-controllable force than Time, but Fate is actually more powerful. The best way to think of Fate is to imagine a video. The video will always be running forward in time and even if you choose to speed the video up, rewind the video, loop a portion of the video, or pause the video, that video will always have a definitive start point and end point. Fate is everything from that start point to that end point. No matter what actions you take once the video starts, there will eventually be an ending point to that video.

Now I don't want to delve into any specific part just yet because I want to leave things at just discussing the above 3 components that are integral to Araki's work. Within Jojo, there exists Life in the form of its cast and their abilities and their struggles to continue to live in some fashion, there exists Time as the amount of time that passes within the manga/anime itself, and then there is Fate which isn't something we can always know and is generally only revealed to the audience as a stinger of some kind. Fate determines how long a life will last, but that length can be extended or shortened and Fate does not care since Fate knows it will all work out in the end so Fate's chill like that, whereas Time is far more restrictive and short having some kind of power that manipulates Time, Time is going to just keep marching forward.

What I'm trying to get at here is that within all 8 parts of Jojo so far, there has been Time (the adventure itself), there has been Life (The people who are participating in the adventure), and Fate (the events that happen along the way).

Lives may be snuffed out, Time may stop, but Fate will always march on.

The reason I needed to define those 3 points is because they are very important in explaining my opinion that each part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure touches upon the idea that no matter how powerful you are, you cannot bring the dead back to life without there being some kind of major, likely negative change.

I'll discuss more next time when I'm not about to pass out from exhaustion. For the next post, if I do one, I would like to present how Phantom Blood as a story plays with the ideas of fate to lay the groundwork for future parts.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

The reason I needed to define those 3 points is because they are very important in explaining my opinion that each part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure touches upon the idea that no matter how powerful you are, you cannot bring the dead back to life without there being some kind of major, likely negative change.

except for joseph (unless you count that DIO had to die for that)

which, well, why wouldn't you i guess

i've defeated myself

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Arist posted:

This is one of my favorite things any JoJo ever does

Any time someone says part 6 is bad I wonder what planet they're from

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Night Goat posted:

Zipperman is retroactively cool because Jodeci has a song called Zipper.on the same album as Freakin U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

6 isn't bad, but it's very...dense...and the Stand fights get too all over the place. One of the very first Stand fights is a whole fakeout that invalidates the fight that came before, and that's just the start of the ridiculousness. 5 is the best balance of fabulous, insane Stand fights, and sassy people. 4 just has a more fun main group. In the end, in the original continuity, I'd say 4 and 5 will be peoples favorites.