Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, if you haven't figured out Survivor editing by this point. If the whole episode looks like 1 person is going to be the one voted off, they will not be voted off.

Spergatory posted:

Counterpoint: Natalie last week.

except when they make it so obvious that they're going to get voted out that you go IT'S WAY TOO OBVIOUS, THEY WON'T GET VOTED OUT and then they do get voted out, now that's editing

:wifom:

fake edit: how is there not a wifom smilie, get on that poo poo mafia players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

also:

Lone Goat posted:

Jabini, more like jabronis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

except when they make it so obvious that they're going to get voted out that you go IT'S WAY TOO OBVIOUS, THEY WON'T GET VOTED OUT and then they do get voted out, now that's editing

:wifom:

fake edit: how is there not a wifom smilie, get on that poo poo mafia players

Give me a good idea and I’ll attempt to make one.

The show made it clear why people made the choices they did. Either Mike would throw his lot in with the David’s and go out at 8 or Nick would throw his lot in with the Goliaths and go out... at 8.

Mike wanted it more. Liked them more than Nick liked the other Davids. And Nick is smart enough not to risk a 50-50 Rocks and then STILL have Angelina to deal with later who will definitely know he will never have her back.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

Give me a good idea and I’ll attempt to make one.

two goblets switching spaces back and forth, shell-game style

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Looks like Mike just outdid Nick there. He gets to save face in front of the Goliaths while also ensuring the allegiance of his closest ally on the Davids. Nice play.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
7-6 Goliath advantage going into the merge, but it looks like Alec is ready to go rogue. Kara knows that Alec is about to jump ship, at least.

But I'm not sure it'll be an easy tribal split or an easy 'Alec flips, Davids take over'. Elizabeth has no real reason to stay loyal to the Davids now, but she has no real connections left aside from Kara and maybe Gabby/Christian. So there might be a Elizabeth/Gabby/Christian/John/Dan coalition, possibly pulling in Kara or Alec or Angelina? Alison also wants to work with Gabby... there's a lot up in the air.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's definitely looking like we're not getting a 'Naviti strong' merge and I'm stoked.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I really don't even understand what she was trying to do with the bamboo. If you put a bunch of halves round side down they would tend to slide underneath each other and rock around and also the top would be a bunch of narrow edges and mostly holes. It's not like bamboo is solid in the middle.

Maybe I'm just not picturing what the hell

I assumed what she was doing was trying to cut them so they'd all be a uniform height (still round side pointed up) instead of a bunch of varying heights when they were whole. As is, the varying heights meant that she couldn't sleep on a level surface, but if she could cut them all in half and made each piece have the same height then maybe it would be flat(ter?) when she put them all back on the "bed". But I agree it wasn't shown very well to illustrate whatever her goal was.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

uhhhh, what.

The show really did not make the case for this boot.

Like, the entire episode was about how nobody likes or trusts Angelina.

WTF
Yeah that seemed edited to a 100% Angelina boot. Mike looked to be wavering way more than Nick was. Maybe they had an unaired deal or something from the Natalie boot episode, that if they lost again they'd take out Lyrsa, and Mike was wavering on whether to "enforce" the deal or not... but now I'm just making things up. I just don't see how else it was Nick that cracked before Mike.

It looks to me like Angelina is going to be a shield type of player for Mike. She won't be much longer for this game, thinking she can call all the shots. If they'd voted her out, how bad would it have gone for Mike, do you think? Like would he hit merge beach and have the entire Goliath tribe, even if powerless, already voting against him if he made FTC? Because alliance-wise, I feel like Lyrsa would've been a much more secure ally, less likely to blow herself up, but less of a shield I suppose, a little more UTR.

TMMadman posted:

This vuku tribe is dumb.

Like how long do they really think it would take to cut some bamboo in half?
Yeah I tend to think she should check with people if it's an okay time before just dismantling the shelter around them for her project but that bamboo piece we did see her split seemed to take like a minute. They just sliced right through it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Angelina can loop in Kara and John to help protect her, but I think her best move would be to stay low and sneak behind the chaos that is the merge. You don't want to be making waves that early unless you need to to survive.

According to Lyrsa's exit press, she knew about Davie's idol (she noticed him doing a confessional in an out of place location and apparently he wasn't idol hunting the day before the swap). She told Elizabeth who didn't believe it.

I think it'll be a good merge. There's a lot of potential shake-up from what we've seen in the pre-merge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually was kind of expecting Lyrsa to be gone, not from any "I know you know I know" edit reading but rather just because I haven't shaken the first impression of Nick that he's playing a cutthroat game where he's "allied" with everyone but loyal to no one. So I figured if Mike pushed Nick would agree. And Mike had a pretty solid argument that if he voted out Angelina he was effectively sealing his feat as the last person the Davids pick off.

So yeah, I just think Nick is slimy so he was never gonna go to bat for Lyrsa. Where Mike had his own interests in mind for saving Angelina so he had reason to push.

That being said, while I think Mike's concerns were valid it definitely doesn't feel like a David vs Goliath post merge situation is guaranteed. There's lots of doubts and relationships interweaving around the tribes and some wildcards like Alec and Nick who don't seem to have much mind for "tribal unity."

I loled for a good 2 minutes at "I'm upset I'm out of the game, but I'm really upset I have to go to Ponderosa with Natalie."

Also, I still really like Team Social Anxiety/Slamtown City Council, I still don't like Dan for some reason so I'm glad to see he's already got a target, and I'm trying to figure out what's up with Christian's posture. Its like he's perpetually sneaking up on Scooby Doo.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

STAC Goat posted:

I actually was kind of expecting Lyrsa to be gone, not from any "I know you know I know" edit reading but rather just because I haven't shaken the first impression of Nick that he's playing a cutthroat game where he's "allied" with everyone but loyal to no one. So I figured if Mike pushed Nick would agree. And Mike had a pretty solid argument that if he voted out Angelina he was effectively sealing his feat as the last person the Davids pick off.

So yeah, I just think Nick is slimy so he was never gonna go to bat for Lyrsa. Where Mike had his own interests in mind for saving Angelina so he had reason to push.

That being said, while I think Mike's concerns were valid it definitely doesn't feel like a David vs Goliath post merge situation is guaranteed. There's lots of doubts and relationships interweaving around the tribes and some wildcards like Alec and Nick who don't seem to have much mind for "tribal unity."

I loled for a good 2 minutes at "I'm upset I'm out of the game, but I'm really upset I have to go to Ponderosa with Natalie."

Also, I still really like Team Social Anxiety/Slamtown City Council, I still don't like Dan for some reason so I'm glad to see he's already got a target, and I'm trying to figure out what's up with Christian's posture. Its like he's perpetually sneaking up on Scooby Doo.

Dan is basically the reason I'm not screaming about the idol nullifier; sure he has two idols and feels invincible but if he doesn't get that target off him it's not gonna matter.

I am worried Christian is gonna get played hard by the brochachos though; that need for acceptance can blind one to people's manipulations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its funny because I forgot about that Idol Nullifier but it really is built for Dan. A player who is developing a big head and feels invincible but made the mistake early on of letting people know he was carrying an idol. Who knows if it will play out that way but its the right conditions.

I think Dan is definitely playing Christian. I'm not sure about Johnny. But Christian's gonna have to clue into the fact that he's a MASSIVE threat with his intelligence, social game, and story. There's gonna come a time when people get terrified of him and want him gone. He's gotta get that confidence to a place where he can see his own strengths to recognize that... or have an ally who points it out to him... or he's probably gonna get taken out. And yeah, I could definitely see Dan being the one to initiate the move if he doesn't get got first.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Its funny because I forgot about that Idol Nullifier but it really is built for Dan. A player who is developing a big head and feels invincible but made the mistake early on of letting people know he was carrying an idol. Who knows if it will play out that way but its the right conditions.

I neither like nor dislike Dan, but at least that much wasn't his fault. Kara and some other chick were with him when he found it. Hiding it from them would have been risky and his behavior would have sketched them out since it would have shifted within less than a minute.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think a Christian has a story to the audience but not so much to the other players.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

I think a Christian has a story to the audience but not so much to the other players.

This theory is based on playing strategy games in college with him, as well as his bio on the Survivor website where he says he's a big fan of the show-- I'm sure he's told people what he thinks they need to know, even if the producers don't think that'll make good TV. Now that the merge is here, I'm curious to see how he does. If only someone was asleep at the switch and made all the remaining challenges 3D puzzles :haw:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i doubt christian will be next since previews aren't really trustworthy, but seeing angelina round everyone up and try and tell everyone who is next irritates me. i wish they had just gotten rid of her this time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually kinda want to see Christian gone to see how it impacts Gabby. Would she actually be able to pick herself back up?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually kinda want to see Christian gone to see how it impacts Gabby. Would she actually be able to pick herself back up?

no

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Gabby is a liability for Christian because of how dependent she is on him. She will either be his shadow and draw attention as a number for Christian that should be eliminated, or else she will become self-aware and try to make a "huge play" that will screw him over as an ally.

Or she'll just fizzle in the background.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Or Gabby is the new Laurel.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I don't really care what happens to Gabby. I'm pulling for Christian to win at this point. I do think he's established himself as a pretty big threat now though. No idea how he could pull it off unless every individual challenge is some sort of puzzle from here on out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well right now she's like a frame for frame copy of Hannah from mill v genx

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I can't help but get a little turned off by Gabby. Not to knock anxiety or other neuroses, and maybe we're just getting one very pronounced dimension of her personality through the edit, but I just can't shake the feeling that there is something at least a little...icky (whether or not she's aware of it) about the way she relies on breakdowns to build relationships. This is accentuated by the fact that she always seems to come out and kick butt in the challenges afterward. Feels sort of cognitively dissonant.

Hannah from MvGX is a great comparison, but for whatever reason I never felt as :rolleyes: about her as I do when Gabby is having a freakout.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

quote is not edit

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It's because Hannah wasn't a crying mess on day 14 like Gabby is. To be fair to Hannah, I forget if I she cried much but she was a neurotic dork that nobody took seriously as a player that got to final 3 and was a No Vote Goat. She actually had somewhat of a good resume but got outplayed badly by Adam at FTC and wasn't respected by the rest of the players.

I do remember that Aubry Bracco, who is the exact same archetype as Gabby and Hannah, had a bout of anxiety in the first three days then got over it (and then also ate poo poo at FTC for completely different reason).

So if guess what I'm saying is they should def take Gabby to the end.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Gabby is either getting the car accident waiting to happen edit or a winner edit. Not sure at this point. They've been playing the Gabby is freaking out angle for several episodes now with her never being in any danger since her tribe keeps winning. Not sure why they'd build it to that degree unless she's going to have a big turn around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Gabby story makes sense without doing any edit reading. Her concerns are valid, she wears her emotions on her sleeve so they're front and center for TV, and just like how Allison empathized and connected with her over them there's probably viewers who do too. Its been an easy, relevant, and potentially engaged story to tell. However Gabby's game ends.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This episode had ludicrously good content for Christian, and slagged a lot of other people. No longer think Nick is winning, he didn't come off great. Edit is reinforcing him being a chronic backstabbing two-timer.

It's sort of impossible to tell how the merge is going to play out, which is interesting. But the intense ramp up of Angelina suggests her story comes to a head sooner than later. Very possible merge boot. In a war between her and Christian, the edit has already told us who would win.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Edit guessing at this point I'd say Nick, Christian, Johnny Wrestler and Gabby all go far into the game

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

luv 2 edgic

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That makes as much sense as a 5 year old throwing colours at a wall :psyduck:

Based on the edit, I'd say the merge will breakdown to a Tiva + the Rock Stars majority.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AWarmBody posted:

Gabby is a liability for Christian because of how dependent she is on him. She will either be his shadow and draw attention as a number for Christian that should be eliminated, or else she will become self-aware and try to make a "huge play" that will screw him over as an ally.

Or she'll just fizzle in the background.

She is his goat for the finals.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Christian is a character the producers like to feature rather than a guy destined for the finals. He seems more well rounded than previous nerds but I'm not sold.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Christian is a character the producers like to feature rather than a guy destined for the finals. He seems more well rounded than previous nerds but I'm not sold.

Yeah I'm still going by my earlier prediction he gets picked off at some point, just a matter of when his allies decide they don't need brains anymore. I am curious what his balance is like in this week's challenges.

Born_to_Lose
Oct 26, 2007
I have a feeling that Christian is gonna lead the pack until the end of the season when someone like Davey or Nick picks him off and wins. I get the impression they're mostly laying the groundwork for Christian's return season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hasn't the only 'nerd' that's won been Cochran? Maybe Adam if you consider him a nerd. The archetype honestly hasn't had the best success rate.

He's only been to one tribal council so I'm not exactly expecting grand masterstroke plans from him yet just because he likes slide puzzles.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Adam has the same casting archtype as Nick this season.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Born_to_Lose posted:

I have a feeling that Christian is gonna lead the pack until the end of the season when someone like Davey or Nick picks him off and wins. I get the impression they're mostly laying the groundwork for Christian's return season.

I am getting Tyler Fredrickson vibes from Davey: somebody with a sympathetic underdog edit early on but who now has a bit of a villain edit creeping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Almost forgot Erik Reichen:butt: