Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zodiac5000 posted:

Going on missions to vandalize the poo poo out of somebody's Feng Shui is the pinnacle of "What the gently caress? Why? That works in this setting? That's both dumb and awesome at the same time gently caress yeah I'll do that." in shadowrun. It *must* be done. What are kenji's stealth skills like? That's more Fuzzy's jam, right? or does Kenji have some non-social infiltration capabilities?

IIRC, in ShadowRun Hong Kong they give you a job to mess up some corp's Feng Shui (Saeder-Krupp, I think?), so you are supposed to go in, identify a bunch of qi points, mess with them all by moving a screen door slightly or whatever, and then vandalize the poo poo out of a giant statue so they think that was the only thing the runners did, and then by the time they realize you broke the water fountain in their bathroom so it leaks slightly its TOO LATE! THEIR DOOM IS NIGH!!!

Messing with Feng Shui rules.

Kenji's stealth is actually pretty high at 11 dice. Saanvi would be defaulting if she went inside and would be at a 5 dice, but she does have 4 edge that are unspent. She also has the hardware skill and would be able to more easily bypass the low rating maglock.

Kenji only has 4 dice in arcane lore (logic 2 + arcane lore 2), so he'd have a hard time vandalizing Pinchface's shop in small ways to make it stick. Saanvi would have an easier time of it even though she has no arcane lore skill (Logic 5 + analytical mind 2 - defaulting 1 and edge if she spends it).

Nothing is perfect here, but this isn't some big run with life or death consequences. Touristville isn't even technically recognized as part of Seattle and Knight-Errant doesn't patrol here after all, so Kenji can't even get arrested. Though he could probably get beaten up if he gets caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Hooray taking Saavni to the Underground didn't fail spectacularly! I didn't think of this angle with Dog and Mrs. Liu. Neat. Looking forward to Min Yun giving more context to this "Dog likes her" thing. That would actually be a thing that Saavni could be involved with if she came along, though I'm still thinking that should be up to Min Yun, if Kenji can finesse that.

Definitely in favor of taking this job. Not sure how to tackle it.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Would it be possible to use a commlink or AR smart contacts to send visual data to somebody who could better identify what to mess with once we break in, like Min Yun? Better yet, if we have time, could we just pull up some AR image of the shop off the matrix, identify most of the points before we get in there through somebody with a better eye for it, and then break in? I assume it wouldn't be too tough to find a picture of a public-access shop, but it is in the ork underground so that might make it less likely.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zodiac5000 posted:

Would it be possible to use a commlink or AR smart contacts to send visual data to somebody who could better identify what to mess with once we break in, like Min Yun? Better yet, if we have time, could we just pull up some AR image of the shop off the matrix, identify most of the points before we get in there through somebody with a better eye for it, and then break in? I assume it wouldn't be too tough to find a picture of a public-access shop, but it is in the ork underground so that might make it less likely.

Yes. Kenji can literally change his face/skin color/hair/metatype (he could look like an ork for example). That would be basic legwork for him to just walk in, look around, buy something and leave. It would give him an idea of what he was up against in terms of security.

Min Yun's skills on the other hand would allow her to scout the place out, but she's more about detection, magical support and pistol skills. She's not really great for a B&E job past legwork. She would be able to astrally project into the back room though or serve as lookout for Kenji without actually having to be there.

Remember that this isn't a paying job though. Stiffing Min Yun on a payment, even on an easy job with zero risk would be pretty rude. It would cost Kenji money out of his own pocket again.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 2, 2018

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Min Yun wouldn't even need to be there for this, I'm thinking, just somebody to watch our visual feed from the comfort of her home and 'man in the chair' Kenji towards stuff like "That Buddha statue should be turned four degrees right", "scribble on that lucky cat's tail with a marker", stuff like that. If Kenji can walk in, case the place, have Saanvi crack the lock, then he sneaks in and messes with stuff while Min Yun says what to do I figure we play to everybody's strengths.

FENG SHUI RUN!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zodiac5000 posted:

Min Yun wouldn't even need to be there for this, I'm thinking, just somebody to watch our visual feed from the comfort of her home and 'man in the chair' Kenji towards stuff like "That Buddha statue should be turned four degrees right", "scribble on that lucky cat's tail with a marker", stuff like that. If Kenji can walk in, case the place, have Saanvi crack the lock, then he sneaks in and messes with stuff while Min Yun says what to do I figure we play to everybody's strengths.

FENG SHUI RUN!

Restore edge with Saanvi by furiously making out for five minutes while breaking and entering.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the Feng Shui run in Hong Kong is fantastic and has to be played to be beleived.

Saanvi continues to be perfect. :allears:

Anyway, we should totally take the job. gently caress up the guy's Feng Shui, then see if we can get him on video being a dick to a couple of elves (an Elven Couple? Teehee).

Auntie Liu continues to be one of my favorite supporting characters. The reveal that she may be a former shadowrunner was less of a surprise and more of a "Yeah, that makes sense". Wonder what she used to do. Probably a Face, maybe a Street Sam of some variety? I could see her hosing down a room full of rude people with a submachinegun.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Auntie Liu continues to be one of my favorite supporting characters. The reveal that she may be a former shadowrunner was less of a surprise and more of a "Yeah, that makes sense". Wonder what she used to do. Probably a Face, maybe a Street Sam of some variety? I could see her hosing down a room full of rude people with a submachinegun.

I think that was just Kenji misunderstanding things. Mrs. Liu was simply talking about the zodiac. It just happens that for shadowrunners 'don't mess with a dragon' is also good career advice.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Apollo posted:

I think that was just Kenji misunderstanding things. Mrs. Liu was simply talking about the zodiac. It just happens that for shadowrunners 'don't mess with a dragon' is also good career advice.

Ehhhhhh that was a pretty specific phrase to toss out there.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Ice Phisherman posted:

Restore edge with Saanvi by furiously making out for five minutes while breaking and entering.

I mean, that wasn't going to be part of my plan, but it does substantially improve it.

:ninja: "Hey baby, I just cased that shop, wanna help me break in?"
:boom: "Oh my god that's so hot. You know all the right things to say to a girl."
:ninja: "I will say that it was a little stressful getting in there, I had to lose a tail at one point but I got out ok."
:boom: "GET IN THIS!"
*AGGRESSIVE KISSING ENSUES*
:toot: "This was the best date ever."

edit -

Ice Phisherman posted:

Remember that this isn't a paying job though. Stiffing Min Yun on a payment, even on an easy job with zero risk would be pretty rude. It would cost Kenji money out of his own pocket again.

I would think this is a great situation for "Hey, I'll owe you a favor." We're not asking for nothing, but we're not putting her in any real danger, so it's the kind of favor we probably wouldn't be getting ourselves in trouble for later by giving out. She can't ask us to do something meaningfully dangerous with this. Favors are probably worth something between Min Yun and Kenji, although she may not operate on credit at all.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, the Feng Shui run in Hong Kong is fantastic and has to be played to be beleived.

It's my favorite run in any of the games and even if Mrs Liu weren't Mrs Liu and didn't own I'd wholeheartedly support using it as inspiration for this.

Problem: Kenji literally can't assense, right? Would his Etiquette skill (I assume) be enough for him to understand what to target?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Take the run. We tackle it by scouting the place first, then come up with a plan.

Speaking of "never deal with a dragon" - some time ago I found this analysis of the parse. It may be of interesting to the thread.

Also;

Ice Phisherman posted:

but intimidated tourists tend to keep their money to themselves so the men in women who played at being cops had pistols instead of submachine guns and body armor under their uniforms instead of the kinds that were weightier and better at protection.
Oh, Ice?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Definitely go for it. Face works both ways, and getting in good with Mrs. Liu and the East Side in general is a definite good thing for Kenji. Remember, the Underground can't be accessed by police, can't be snooped in the Matrix, has secret exits all over the city, and has residences and restaurants. Julie's in tight with everyone, and Fuzzy's a local hero, but Kenji could gain an awful lot by being known and liked - or at least respected and protected - enough to come and go here.

Kenji being known to be Dog's and Mrs. Liu giving him a 'test' run is a way of giving him the opportunity to take a further step or two into whatever world she's helping to run, and it's the sort of thing that pays social dividends long-term instead of right now.

Anyway, I'm down for scouting the place. My basic idea is to go in shopping, record getting ripped off on his smart contacts, and rearrange his Feng Shui every time Shum turns his back. This is a baby run; we're trying to embarrass a shopkeeper. Don't overthink things, keep them simple and with minimal points of failure.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Feng Shui run yessssss we're already spread too thin doing too many things at once but gently caress it this is too much fun to pass up.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

we're already spread too thin doing too many things at once but gently caress it this is too much fun to pass up.

That should be Long Haul's new marketing slogan.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yes to the job obviously.

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for Kenji and Saanvi to go in there and have him act like a typical rich idiot trying to impress his girlfriend, buying something at an obviously outrageous price while recording the whole thing?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, I don't see any need for Min Yun here, even if loving with Feng Shui would be fun. This is a "handle it now and pop out for an hour" job, nothing fancier.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

F E N G S H U I R U N

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

“Wow, Chip got big,” Saanvi whispered, “Do spirits normally grow overnight like that?”

Saanvi hasn’t met The Pack yet, right? Unless she was shown photos and or told about them?

Ice Phisherman posted:

“Then I shall help you practice. Your accent needs work, but it has improved since last we spoke,” she said, as the conversation switched fully to Cantonese, “Your initiative is noted and appreciated. I have a nephew who I wish had such initiative as you do.”

We’re getting closer to nephew status!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Mrs. Liu bowed her head deeply to Kenji in humility.

“If you do this, I will help you fetch the best price that I can for your friend,” she said, quietly.

Man, this side quest came out of nowhere!

Ice, its always good to see Mrs. Liu again.

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time

Pinchfaaaaaace! :argh:

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

Well yeah, how can we say no to F E N G S H U I R U N ! ! !

RabidWeasel posted:

Yes to the job obviously.

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for Kenji and Saanvi to go in there and have him act like a typical rich idiot trying to impress his girlfriend, buying something at an obviously outrageous price while recording the whole thing?

I like this plan, with the addition of messing with the Feng Shui as they’re doing it.

Maybe really lay it on thick with the ‘I want to buy something truly special for my girlfriend, show me what’s in the backroom’ gambit.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Nooooow we’re playing the tabletop, dice rolling game.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
What's with the tossing fish thing? Is that a real tourist attraction in Seattle?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chatrapati posted:

What's with the tossing fish thing? Is that a real tourist attraction in Seattle?

I mean, sorta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJN9l_xvjg

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Pretty sure Savaani met chip when she met Julie visiting her sister

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Toughy posted:

Yeah, that’s what I remember too.

Also, one problem with the smart contacts taking a video plan is anything with Saanvi in it that also gets attributed to Kenji is going to get people to start asking questions about what they’re doing together.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So, Auntie Shadowrun was probably born in the Year of the Dog, like I was. Its makes sense for her Chinese Zodiac to hold a special place for her. So much so that Kenji has just been handed a Milk Run! loving with some rear end in a top hat shop owner's Feng Shui is basically Babby's First Shadowrun.

Kenji is auditioning.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

F E N G S H U I R U N

N O T A N E M P T Y Q U O T E

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

~ f e n g s h u i r u n ~

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Toughy posted:

You're right, I forgot that Saanvi was there at the mental hospital.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well it's either this or play Cyrano de Bergerac with Octo

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Ice Phisherman posted:

It turned in a merry circle on its treads and slowly waved its single arm in the air.

The robot’s camera slid downwards and its arms contorted until both were recessed into the main chassis.

:confused:
I think you mean both the arm and the camera being recessed, and arms plural was a mistake.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Anyone else wish Dan the tour guide was named Georgie?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Ice Phisherman posted:

“Yeah, we just passed the aquarium and this is the Pike’s Place Market,”

Kenji, no. You're a Seattle native, you know better than this.

It's Pike Place Market (as in Pike street, which leads straight into the market - where they throw the fish, incidentally.) Calling it "Pike's" Place very clearly marks you as a tourist.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Kenji grew up in the ACHE. He is a tourist when he's in Seattle proper.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Toughy posted:

Anyone else wish Dan the tour guide was named Georgie?

Paddington

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I think jumping immediately to Feng Shui run is a little too reductive - it's a small shop, maybe he could just correct it immediately - or maybe it is already bad and that's why he resorts to cheating people? Also, it wouldn't directly shame him anyway. Just recording him lying or cheating people isn't going to shame him much either - everyone already knows what he's doing. Whatever we do, it'll have to be fast or done remotely, because we're going to be grounded soon.

Get advice from multiple people on the best way to go about this run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Well yeah obviously doing your homework and prep is part of any run