Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's a terrible idea just because of the pounds of flesh Amazon will extract from taxpayers who will get no benefit. Nevermind the actual bullshit everyone will endure thanks to another however many tens of people trying to buy houses that don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Doesn’t having an HQ there make a lot of sense? Tons of defense companies do it for the same reason.

It's more that dropping an additional 50k workers and their families in the area is going to have hilarious results for the housing market and the healthcare, transportation, and education infrastructure of the surrounding counties.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

It's more that dropping an additional 50k workers and their families in the area is going to have hilarious results for the housing market and the healthcare, transportation, and education infrastructure of the surrounding counties.

NoVa is gonna start to resemble Mega City One from Judge Dredd.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Part of an amazon fulfillment center collapsed during a storm last night, killing two employees.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-amazon-storm-damage-20181102-story.html

Turns out my uncle lost the roof of his house too

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

NoVa is gonna start to resemble Mega City One from Judge Dredd.

With even worse urban planning.

I guess it's also important to mention that the reason it's a huge issue is that the DC area is already effectively at full employment, especially for tech jobs. Even if some contractors in Raptors with Gadsden license plates make the move to Amazon, there's still going to be a net demand.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At what point does the infrastructure for an area just out and out collapse and become unusable for anyone that can't afford a private helicopter to get to work and back, and private in-home tutors for their children?

We're about to loving find out!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Tbh better than loving Toronto we can't afford higher housing prices or more traffic

loving 401 is the busiest highway in North America already.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Tbh better than loving Toronto we can't afford higher housing prices or more traffic

loving 401 is the busiest highway in North America already.

Hey I'm not trying to get into a traffic pissing match here, but to go ~25 miles in DC rush hour can typically take 1.5-2 hours.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 3, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I will always fondly remember trying to get home to ALEXANDRIA from DC when a truck crashed on a bridge I didn’t even have to take and turned my 10 mile hour commute into 4 hours of hell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

Hey I'm not trying to get into a traffic pissing match here, but to go ~25 miles in DC rush hour can typically take 1.5-2 hours.

That's 5-10 miles in Boston.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

That's 5-10 miles in Boston.

Oh I'm not even talking about DC itself. I'm talking about the commuting area around it.

e: I guess the moral of the story is that spending on infrastructure in major US metropolitan areas is so bad that what SHOULD be an economic gain in terms of tax base ends up becoming a burden.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 3, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
American transportation infrastructure is dogshit from top to bottom like pretty much everywhere I've ever been. Is there any place it's not god awful?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

American transportation infrastructure is dogshit from top to bottom like pretty much everywhere I've ever been. Is there any place it's not god awful?

NYC? They've been complaining about the metro recently, but it's roughly on par with your average European city in terms of service and access.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are a few stretches of I-81 that are quite pleasant to drive on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

psydude posted:

The 401 stretches from Windsor to Quebec City and when it crosses through Toronto expands from 4 to 16 lanes because its the main corridor for all US-Canadian shipping on the East Coast so the scale is entirely different here.

But it's not even that bad to drive on outside of rush hour!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

This reminds me of when those truckers threatened to shut down the DC beltway by driving really slow and everyone around here collectively shrugged because that's the natural state of the DC beltway

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
People complain about Seattle commutes a lot but personally I don't think it's nearly as bad as back home in Tampa.

The infrastructure in Tampa isn't anywhere close to being able to support the amount of growth they've had over the past 20-30 years.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

The 401 stretches from Windsor to Quebec City and when it crosses through Toronto expands from 4 to 16 lanes because its the main corridor for all US-Canadian shipping on the East Coast so the scale is entirely different here.

But it's not even that bad to drive on outside of rush hour!

Only tangentially related, but I recently drove to NB for work after flying in to Bangor and it was the only time in traveling for work to over 25 different countries that I've ever been stopped and interrogated by immigration. They were very concerned that I was an illegal immigrant taking a job from a Canadian citizen or something. The irony wasn't lost on me.

To be fair this has never happened at the airport in Canada, just the border crossing in the middle of nowhere.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There was a shooting yesterday in Tallahassee at a yoga studio, two women dead. Uneventful in the curren- oh gently caress, Incels again.

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1058803529681375233

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There was a shooting yesterday in Tallahassee at a yoga studio, two women dead. Uneventful in the curren- oh gently caress, Incels again.

Does anyone have that picture of the contemplative kid in cargo shorts wearing a fedora and sandals? Because this story merits that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Only tangentially related, but I recently drove to NB for work after flying in to Bangor and it was the only time in traveling for work to over 25 different countries that I've ever been stopped and interrogated by immigration. They were very concerned that I was an illegal immigrant taking a job from a Canadian citizen or something. The irony wasn't lost on me.

To be fair this has never happened at the airport in Canada, just the border crossing in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyO1ILQAGsU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My girlfriend goes to that yoga class but wasn’t there last night, thankfully. poo poo is crazy.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

Another of Beierle’s 2014 videos was titled “The Rebirth of my Misogynism,” and featured him listing the names of women — from eighth grade until his time in the Army — who he said caused his “rebirth.” (Tallahassee police confirmed he had prior military service, but a Pentagon spokesperson couldn’t immediately identify the specifics of his service).

Guess what guys

quote:

In a punk song he made called “Don’t Shame,” Beierle sang of walking into a girl’s locker room and going on “rear end-grabbing rampage of underage girls.” (The Tallahassee Democrat newspaper reported he had been arrested in 2012 and 2016 for grabbing women’s buttocks without their consent. Prosecutors eventually dropped charges in both cases.)

Who could have seen this coming

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
As soon as I saw that poo poo on the news last night straight away the choice of target just screamed incel.

Well, that, and apparently there was a dude who ran at him, got pistol whipped for his trouble, but that was enough for him to completely bitch out and take the eternal nightcap.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

Does anyone have that picture of the contemplative kid in cargo shorts wearing a fedora and sandals? Because this story merits that.

I got you fam

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I really don't like this Hercule Poirot reboot.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I don’t know what makes it worse, the red tire or the unbuttoned shirt exposing the belly button

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mustang posted:

People complain about Seattle commutes a lot but personally I don't think it's nearly as bad as back home in Tampa.

I went and visited family there, and they where all "Man the traffic is super super bad here! You'll want to stay off the roads during rush hour.", as an Atlanta native I was surprised I got to where I wanted to go in thirty minutes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Syrian Lannister posted:

I don’t know what makes it worse, the red tire or the unbuttoned shirt exposing the belly button

I'm the shorts that you tie instead of button

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Euphoric.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There’s just so loving much to love in this photo.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
And in not at all surprised news

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/micheal-cohen-says-trump-made-racist-remarks-conversations-n930596

quote:

Michael Cohen says Trump made racist remarks in conversations
The president once referred to a contestant on The Apprentice as a 'black f-g," Cohen told Vanity Fair, which cited several other examples.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i am so loving glad someone saved this

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just noticed his belly button peeking out there.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

facialimpediment posted:

You know what would stop School Shootings Yoga Studio Shootings?

Place three or four armed Veterans in every school Yoga Studio. There are thousands of well trained unemployed Veterans who would love the job of protecting children creeping outside Yoga Studios.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Armed veterans everywhere.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

psydude posted:

Lol, the horror of unaffordable property! You can always pocket 200k of equity and go to Pennsylvania or something. That said, glad it’s not here, for the same reasons you are upset.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Lol, the horror of unaffordable property! You can always pocket 200k of equity and go to Pennsylvania or something. That said, glad it’s not here, for the same reasons you are upset.

Yeah houses are real cheap in places where the median income is below $20k :iiam:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Coldwar timewarp posted:

:cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Are you saying someone working in the DC area should buy a house in PA and commute or that they should quit their job and move to PA and also find a new job there?

Because these are both stupid but for different reasons. I need to know which one you're saying so I can correctly make fun of you.