Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought the drat game now that I have free time again.

Looking forward to Arguing With Officials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sebzilla posted:

Pele challenge, 1000 career goals.

It might just be achievable. Challenge accepted.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Masonity posted:

I've just had the most ridiculous regen ever appear...

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

Holy poo poo, those stats would be great even without him having really high creative stats and being 6'4" at 15. What a beast

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Masonity posted:

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

If the game somehow plays a commentary clip saying "Remember the name, Tom Davinson." After he scores his first worldie then I'll buy the game.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

OoohU posted:

If the game somehow plays a commentary clip saying "Remember the name, Tom Davinson." After he scores his first worldie then I'll buy the game.

No worldies so far, but he did manage 4 league goals in 9 starts and 2 champions league goals in 4 starts, including the only goal in the champions league final. Not bad at 15.

He's put on 5lb since he generated though. I think his signing on bonus went on pies.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Masonity posted:

No worldies so far, but he did manage 4 league goals in 9 starts and 2 champions league goals in 4 starts, including the only goal in the champions league final. Not bad at 15.

He's put on 5lb since he generated though. I think his signing on bonus went on pies.

I had to google what 10 stone is in real measurements and he's gotta be lankier than Crouch

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I had to google what 10 stone is in real measurements and he's gotta be lankier than Crouch

As someone who was under 10 stone and over 6 foot tall as a 15 year old, can confirm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/status/1057604619331874816

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Spirited is a great personality but protecting him from negative influences is a must.

I don't know how overrated Arsenal's players are in their Determination but realistically that 12 could plummet 2 points a year until he's 18 and signs for a big club.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

Spirited is a great personality but protecting him from negative influences is a must.

I don't know how overrated Arsenal's players are in their Determination but realistically that 12 could plummet 2 points a year until he's 18 and signs for a big club.

Come on, I'm three years in. Like I have more than a sprinkling of the original squad anyway! The boy has Icardi, Navas (Yeah I know a keeper won't help much but he has a great personality) and a few other regens in with him. All of whom are professional or perfectionist.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've only ever had Spirited players cause trouble, or at the very best just completely fail to acclimatise and get moved on, so now I'm really wary of signing them. Is it really that good of a personality type?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

isn’t “spirited” something horse people came up as a nice way to talk about horses that’ll kick you to death the second you turn your back on them

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPiJQlQNmFY

18 games in and this was his first worldie. No remember his name commentary. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've only ever had Spirited players cause trouble, or at the very best just completely fail to acclimatise and get moved on, so now I'm really wary of signing them. Is it really that good of a personality type?

Unless they've changed it, it's a high Professionalism, high Pressure, not-awful Temperament personality. Maybe you've just been unlucky with low Loyalty ones or foreigners with no Adaptability.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

Unless they've changed it, it's a high Professionalism, high Pressure, not-awful Temperament personality. Maybe you've just been unlucky with low Loyalty ones or foreigners with no Adaptability.

Weird. The two I can think of off the top of my head are Adrian at West Ham and Arthur now of Barcelona, both of whom wouldn't stop kicking off unless they played every single game and got a payrise every year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Full game (and editor) is out now.

edit: Doesn't look like Spirited is a high Professionalism personality after all. Either they changed it or the list I read was always wrong.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 1, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The beta was extremely buggy. I hope they took care of enough bugs to make the drat game playable.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

How is it that I can play GTA V with a better framerate than loving Football Manager on medium settings ffs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Masonity posted:

Needs to work on his crossing imo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

with the new mentoring system, am I no longer able to set up mentoring for players outside the first team squad? I want them to have good personalities by the time they get there, not have to start mentoring them at 20/21

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bogan Krkic posted:

with the new mentoring system, am I no longer able to set up mentoring for players outside the first team squad? I want them to have good personalities by the time they get there, not have to start mentoring them at 20/21

Correct. You can still move players to the first team squad (for training and mentoring) but make them available to the youth/reserve squads to actually play, or set up a mentoring group between the kids (surely SOME of them aren't assholes) but the first team squad and the youth don't spend enough time together to mentor each other I guess.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

Correct. You can still move players to the first team squad (for training and mentoring) but make them available to the youth/reserve squads to actually play, or set up a mentoring group between the kids (surely SOME of them aren't assholes) but the first team squad and the youth don't spend enough time together to mentor each other I guess.

Yep. It's a realism thing.

Your most promising kids should be involved in first team training much earlier than 20/21 regardless.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
pffft my most promising kids are all on loan at Napoli and Monaco and Arsenal and poo poo, just waiting for a first teamer to piss me off and open up a spot for them :commissar:

e: actually it sounds like this mechanic might be a really strong discouragement from loaning out promising youngsters because I can only imagine how the AI's handling of mentoring will wreck them

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

pffft my most promising kids are all on loan at Napoli and Monaco and Arsenal and poo poo, just waiting for a first teamer to piss me off and open up a spot for them :commissar:

e: actually it sounds like this mechanic might be a really strong discouragement from loaning out promising youngsters because I can only imagine how the AI's handling of mentoring will wreck them

I'm not sure how much mentoring the AI will do, but the general character of a squad will definitely have an impact on players you send out on a long-term loan (unless they're massive egomaniacs who view their teammates with nothing but contempt, which they should if you're sending them down a level or two to get games).

Collecting all the wonderkids and hoarding them in your youth system is way less viable a strategy than it used to be. Development is generally slower and less consistent, and if you don't manage things properly you can ruin a lot of investments.

Better by far to stick with only a handful of kids, get them in the first team, give them games and quality mentoring and build the rest of your team out of ready-made veterans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Found an unattached 16 year old regen Welsh winger in September 2018 (by found I mean saw him during highlights of a Wales u21s game one of my players scored in).

Didn't know they turned up that early, let alone without a club. Maybe they were short and pulled him from the crowd.

He's an ugly bastard but 15 dribbling and Premier League potential is well worth £250/week imo.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

I just wanna know if they've sorted out the injury bugs and the state of the match engine. Might just hold off until a sale really unless this is a massive step up from 18.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I haven't noticed any injury bugs in ~400 hours of play. You get the occasional unlucky flurry, and at one point there were way more match injuries than training ones but the balance seems right now. As long as you don't overwork the players it's fine.

Release match engine feels a bit weird to me. Seeing a lot of stuff I didn't in testing (like different types of headers I didn't even realise were missing). And a lot of nice through balls to my slow DLF (pacey strikers will probably score bucketloads). Overall I like it but wide AM roles really suck imo. I'm using ML/R wingers on support as my outlets as anything more aggressive goes and stands in the box to watch the game.

I didn't play 18 but it's a huge improvement over 16 & 17.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I just had a bug where I could only make 2 subs in a match, and couldn't take off a knackered guy who then made a mistake to concede a 92th min winner ffs

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I think this years edition is really good, the quality of life improvements have really added up. It seems wingers and inside forwards actually take players on this year too, every highlight with them last year always had them getting tackled almost instantly. Injuries were crazy in the beta but I saw they’ve changed em in the patch

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I've been having a very underwhelming season with Leverkusen. Running tiki taka without barça quality players was probably not a good idea, switching to gegenpressen seems to be working much better.

The new Tactics and Training are a real step p forward for the game.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is gegenpress still overpowered like in the beta?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I’m doing LLM like always and I had a sequence where the keepers hoofed the ball to each other’s penalty area 6 times in a row.

Other than that the AI seems to love long balls to wingers but who can blame them when they’ve got 15 pace.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Friedrich "New Labour" Banza

Seriously I've always hated the way they've handled positions in this game. Almost anyone at a top club in the original DB has green and yellow all over the midfield. Kevin Phillips was an academy + lower league right back before someone decided he was really a striker! But if Friedrich here plays on the right for too long, he'll forget how to play on the left. But even though the tactics screen shows a bright red "DO NOT PICK" it doesn't really...matter if someone's out of position, it just dings your decisions a little bit, right? Or is that an FM urban legend (there are probably a ton of those)

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 4, 2018

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Are counters still broken and tiki taka dead? I just wanna know if Pep gets the sack after 2 seasons and Mourinho walks the league for 6 years as per FM18.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Lowtax posted:

Friedrich "New Labour" Banza

Seriously I've always hated the way they've handled positions in this game. Almost anyone at a top club in the original DB has green and yellow all over the midfield. Kevin Phillips was an academy + lower league right back before someone decided he was really a striker! But if Friedrich here plays on the right for too long, he'll forget how to play on the left. But even though the tactics screen shows a bright red "DO NOT PICK" it doesn't really...matter if someone's out of position, it just dings your decisions a little bit, right? Or is that an FM urban legend (there are probably a ton of those)

The Ui makes a much bigger deal out of positional familiarity than it should, yes. SI have serious issues with communicating information, be it the blatantly harmful assistant advice, the role and duty suitability icons (scary red warning signs for friendly tips with no mechanical effect), shockingly bad technical writing (when your players say they want "more Quickness training" they don't mean the Quickness training session, they want anything that works on Quickness attributes; the same words are used for different concepts within a single conversation all the time) etc.

A player chosen out of position suffers a penalty to their Decisions attribute, and that's it. From the research side the main purpose of setting positions is to help the AI pick teams, it has almost nothing to do with how good a player is in a position.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OoohU posted:

Are counters still broken and tiki taka dead? I just wanna know if Pep gets the sack after 2 seasons and Mourinho walks the league for 6 years as per FM18.

Mourinho and United do very well, for a number of reasons.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

If picking a player out of position affects their Decisions, it should absolutely also affect Off The Ball and Positioning too, imo.
The main reason I've found to not play players out of position is that they'll get mad eventually about it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Clubs thinking that making one of my players unhappy means they can make even lower, now non-negotiable bids for him. I'll keep him here out of spite if nothing else.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was close to (but under) the wage budget when I got promoted, so I went on holiday for a bit, since I didn't have the budget to sign anyone.

Big mistake.

My Director of Football has signed 18 players - for £250-£500 p/w each - meaning that we've gone massively over our budget once you factor in %Yearly increases, Promotion increases, etc.
Except, I can only offer £250 p/w now for Key Players, but my DoF can - and has - brought in players for more than that as Hot Prospects.

So now, I'm financially cluster-hosed and have no realistic chance of avoiding relegation. At least before, I just had no chance of avoiding relegation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
This blurry font is driving me crazy.