Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like

even though it's an edit of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mierenneuker posted:

I like

even though it's an edit of

That pose is evergreen for this series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's never happened to me before but if you fail "You'll Know It When It Happens", does that prevent you from completing the game as the NCR? Does Moore scapegoat you as being responsible for Kimball's death and refuse your aid?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

According to the fallout wiki:

Fallout Wiki posted:

If you fail the quest by letting the President die, you are still given the next quest (Eureka!) anyway unless you fail Don't Tread on the Bear!. The same occurs to the quest For the Republic, Part 2.

Also there's this:

Fallout Wiki posted:

If the Courier destroys the Vertibird when Kimball is giving his speech, he would run away to the second floor of the visitor center and then, oddly enough, he will explode, failing the quest.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
God bless gamepedia’s fallout wiki.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

El_Elegante posted:

God bless gamepedia’s fallout wiki.

characteristics: had a long fuckin dick

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
CHR 10
END 10
AGL 2

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

also every character in blind diode jeffersons anecdotes has their own page

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

No but really, why does president Kimball explode

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ThaumPenguin posted:

Bad or workaround scripting, probably? I haven't pulled it up in the GECK or anything but that's my guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To remove any conspiracies about him surviving duh.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Deep empathic connection between man and machine

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you don't sniff it out, the bomb on the vertibird kills Kimball as he flies out. Maybe the explosion trigger is attached to Kimball himself?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kimball explodes because he attains CHIM.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also this is somewhat off topic but yesterday I learnt helicopter comes from "helico-pter" (spinning wing, pter as in "pterodactyl") rather than "heli-copter" and that just messes me up

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Malpais Legate posted:

It comes up in the others, too, but less seeing as the recommended range for OWB and Honest Hearts are around 15.

Is it recommended in the sense that you get the best stuff at that level, or is that the level scaling floor? I was under the impression HH could be done at fairly low levels.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Zeerust posted:

Is it recommended in the sense that you get the best stuff at that level, or is that the level scaling floor? I was under the impression HH could be done at fairly low levels.

The enemies scale, regardless. The recommended levels are mostly in regards to the skill challenges, which don't scale. If you go in earlier than that, you may not have the ability to complete a lot of the quests with your tagged skills or otherwise. In practice this means you net less experience and have less control over which endings you get.

HH and OWB are a lot more forgiving in that regard, though, given their recommended levels are lower and the skill checks aren't as high. Dead Money is awash with checks requiring the 70+ range.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Which is why Skilled is the second best trait behind Logan’s Loophole. It boosts your skills for checks while keeping your level low for combat scaling. It’s all upside.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Pretty sure to get the "best" ending for Honest Hearts you need to pass a pretty high speech check.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can boost your speech skill pretty heavily to meet that requirement:
-Meeting People magazine (+20 with Comprehension perk)
-Naughty Nightwear (+10)
Anything that boosts Charisma, 2 points of speech per point of Charisma (up to a maximum of 10)

The speech check at the end of Honest Hearts is 90, so you'd need to get your speech to 60, with a bit of wiggle room depending on your Charisma. That's, ooh, 5-6 levels? It's been a while since I played so I forget how many skill points you get at levelup

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Speech is consistently the One Skill To Rule Them All so I'm not surprised that talking down Graham has a 90 requirement in a level 15ish scenario.

I think the other dialogue checks and abilities in Honest Hearts assume like 40-60? It's been a long while since I've played it so I could be full of poo poo on this.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

honest hearts is best done around level twelve or so, it ties in nicely with the narrative where the courier has to earn enough caps to get into Vegas. you'll have way more, but I like the way they sync up.

also, the last speech check only requires .45 and the malpais legate got that in spades.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah but that's only for a repeat playthrough when you know what you're doing. And honestly while I enjoy Honest Hearts, I don't find it replayable like say OWB. Mainly because the loot, unless you're a guns character.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nasgate posted:

Yeah but that's only for a repeat playthrough when you know what you're doing. And honestly while I enjoy Honest Hearts, I don't find it replayable like say OWB. Mainly because the loot, unless you're a guns character.

It also has good options for melee and unarmed, and an easy triple-barrel plasma gun for energy weapons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

whydirt posted:

Which is why Skilled is the second best trait behind Logan’s Loophole. It boosts your skills for checks while keeping your level low for combat scaling. It’s all upside.

Logan's loophole is a necessity because combat scaling is awful and after 20 you're just putting skill points into poo poo you have no intention of using.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

whydirt posted:

And even better, you can stack it! Take skilled, and when you leave Goodsprings and are asked if you like your character say no, then make sure to take it again and it applies twice while also letting you have LL.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

stress

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's fair.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pretty sure there was a dialogue or an inspect able object where you find out the Legion hid a bomb in the visitor center where Kimbal is supposed to be kept in the case of an emergency.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Legion are thorough, I'll give 'em that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm lolling that they had multiple bombs ready to go and decided to also have a sniper and a backup guy to just run at Kimball with a knife

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shame they didn't learn from the Silver Rush crier who tells you want to do If You Want Someone Dead, Really Dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Legion probably bought their equipment at Mick and Ralph's because those guys have stuff they're not even supposed to sell.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the new stable at the atomic wrangler could crush kimball's weak pelvis to dust.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dommed to death by a ghoul cowgirl

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who is currently the head management of Obsidian? Avellone threw some more fuel in the fire the other day suggesting that, if Microsoft is hoping to buy out the studio, they should fire the management chaff and keep the dev staff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just realized something. By the time of New Vegas it's been decades since the Enclave Oil Rig was destroyed. Either Whitley hadn't heard about the Enclave being wiped out on the west coast, or ED-E has been flying for a very long time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

In Lonesome Road they talk about ED-E being scrapped to make Hellfire Armor or whatever, which turns up in the Fallout 3 post-ending DLC. Probably the complete destruction of the Enclave was above Whitley's pay grade; I can see that being super classified information

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Pretty sure Colonel Autumn gets namedropped in one of ED-E's logs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I guess Arcade was born after the Oil Rig blew up, so the Enclave was still around for a time before the NCR and Brotherhood eradicated them. So perhaps Whitley honestly didn't know, or there were still some underground Enclave remnants still in the region.