Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

ThingOne posted:

Arenessa being a lord seeking missile on foot is balanced out by the fact that she's on foot :v:.

she is definitely NOT on foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Any tips on Norsca?

I'm playing Wulfrik. Even with 6-7 provinces, I can barely afford one stack with mediocre infantry.

Overall impression of Norsca so far:

Pros:
Confederation is super easy.
Access to all the good lores of magic.

Cons:
No leader buff for standard (marauder) infantry. Mediocre starting infantry.
Really bad fixed income. No real bonuses to sacking income without multiple lvl 3 buildings. So your economy sucks.
Everybody hates you, expect to be at war with everyone. Limits treasure hunting at sea, which is extra painful since your economy was so bad to begin with.
No province bonuses.
Can't settle most regions.
Favor of the god thing is super confusing, I really can't keep track of which gods I'm at favor with. Are the bonuses stacking or one deity only? I don't know.
Hunting quests are really difficult.
Bad replishment.
Complex building requirements for high-tier units combined with few building slots at capitals. So except to need multiple provinces when building high end stacks(?

One thing that really bugs me with non-order factions, is how bad replishment is. Going around sacking and raiding isn't really that viable if it takes 10+ turns to replenish units. But if you conquer territory you get the owned territory bonus where replishment is ~2 turns from dead to full.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

hhhmmm posted:

One thing that really bugs me with non-order factions, is how bad replishment is. Going around sacking and raiding isn't really that viable if it takes 10+ turns to replenish units. But if you conquer territory you get the owned territory bonus where replishment is ~2 turns from dead to full.

Don’t bother replenishing, just merge units and keep moving. Recruited units always come in at full health after all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

hhhmmm posted:

Any tips on Norsca?

Norsca is best played as a horde-faction with a homebase (like the Wood Elves), with the occasional resupply base established in coastal provinces. So sack big cities and keep a war chest good for 5 to 10 turns while operating at a loss. Don't bother protecting these resupply bases because it is not like they give you money anyway, and they will keep your enemies busy for a while.

There should be four bars at the top of the campaign menu that track your favor progress with each of the Gods, including the possible rewards. Note that when you fill one of those you lose all favor with the other gods, so might as well go all-in, though you can take the bonus from several gods before reaching that point.

The hunts are tough, but they offer a lot of money and some very good items (and at times RoR) and are a fun change of pace. Marauder Hunters with Javelins are worth their weight in gold in most of these.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Looks like someone got "bodyguards" working, by using the Mount slot: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1554266516

This one handles Dwarfs, giving Lords 4 elite soldiers as bodyguards. Even gives LLs special bodyguard options, like Ungrim getting Slayers and Belegar getting more ghostdads. Hope it takes off as a concept; foot Lords and horse-mounted Lords could use some incentives over monster mounts like Deathclaw and Beaquis, and elite bodyguards would be a nice way to do it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

Looks like someone got "bodyguards" working, by using the Mount slot: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1554266516

This one handles Dwarfs, giving Lords 4 elite soldiers as bodyguards. Even gives LLs special bodyguard options, like Ungrim getting Slayers and Belegar getting more ghostdads. Hope it takes off as a concept; foot Lords and horse-mounted Lords could use some incentives over monster mounts like Deathclaw and Beaquis, and elite bodyguards would be a nice way to do it.

Neat!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Finally dwarf lords get the support they need

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

ZearothK posted:

The hunts are tough, but they offer a lot of money and some very good items (and at times RoR) and are a fun change of pace. Marauder Hunters with Javelins are worth their weight in gold in most of these.

Having a general with the tier 3 marauder hunter upgrade (damage and 20% faster ranged attack speed) is also a big help. The hunts are cool but the Frost Wyrm one in particular is bonkers on Very Hard/Legendary if you try to do it as soon as you get it. The Cygor one is less difficult but has a really funny gimmick that will obliterate certain army comps. I only did the tier 1 hunts in my playthrough because the first tier 2 hunt makes you raid the orc capital province and I never bothered going that far south with an army, it's a real hike on the Mortal Empires map

I also wonder if the hunts somehow got a lot harder in the transition from TW1 to TW2: I see posts from people complaining about the frost wyrm in 2018 but not in 2017 when Norsca was launched

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2018

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Speaking of mods, does anyone have a favorite “make combat slower” mod? I’ve tried a few and just can’t quite get the pace of battle I’m looking for.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Anno posted:

Speaking of mods, does anyone have a favorite “make combat slower” mod? I’ve tried a few and just can’t quite get the pace of battle I’m looking for.

I've been loving CnC so far, though slowing down combat is just one of many aspects. Revamping skill trees is the real upside.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

so since ive run out of speculating to do about the vampirates, im moving on to the next dlc: lizards vs skaven

time to speculate on WHO WILL BE WARHAMMERS NEXT TOP LEGENDARY LORD!

SKAVEN BOYS:

Thanquol

Everyone knows this boy. the most famous skaven around, this guy has his own dang book about him! He's a grey seer, powerfully addicted to glowing green cocaine, rides a series of ill-fated mounts all called Boneripper, and so lovely at pulling off any of his plans that when the lizardmen caught him they put him on the first boat home instead of killing him.

pros:
- cool mount
- legendary lord grey seer, which we don't have yet
- powerful charisma
- powerful magic
- survived to age of sigmar

cons:
- maybe too famous for hipster CA?
- bad at plans
- has a mount, and CA hates giving their skaven LLs mounts

Cons: Gets repeatedly owned by Gotrek and Felix for like 50 years and they don't even realize they've ruined every single one of his plans.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

high six posted:

Cons: Gets repeatedly owned by Gotrek and Felix for like 50 years and they don't even realize they've ruined every single one of his plans.

thanquol survives into age of sigmar though, whereas gotrek and felix i assume get owned

~~THA PLAN MASTA REDEEMED~~

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

thanquol survives into age of sigmar though, whereas gotrek and felix i assume get owned

~~THA PLAN MASTA REDEEMED~~

I think a new Gotrek and Felix book set within AoS was either just announced or just released.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Anno posted:

I think a new Gotrek and Felix book set within AoS was either just announced or just released.

*thanquol howling sounds*

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

*thanquol howling sounds*

It's an audiobook and Gotrek is voiced by Brian Blessed

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
comes out in a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Realmslayer-Warhammer-Sigmar-David-Guymer/dp/1784967866

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

edit: beaten

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought Thanquol died offscreen in one of the later End Timeses? Not the one named after him even.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought Thanquol died offscreen in one of the later End Timeses? Not the one named after him even.

Does it really suprise you at this point that characters who randomly died in End Times get randomly revived in Age of Sigmar?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
End Times: Archaon is the only book after Thanquol, and in it Archaon kills some random Skaven emissary that people thought was Thanquol. There’s a lore blurb in some White Dwarf where Skreech Verminking takes Thanquol to prepare the Under-Empire for the coming of the end.

In what used to be the last Gotrek and Felix book, Gotrek and Felix thwart one of Bel’akor’s plans, which is different than the plan Bel’akor had to burn down the world tree to cause the end before Archaon could. Gotrek fights Grimnir and dies, fulfilling his oath. Grimnir then resurrects him and names him the new dwarven god of vengeance, which Gotrek is okay with. He sends Felix back to the real world to spend time with his halfling wife in the Moot before the end and prepares to face infinite demons.

Then in Age of Sigmar, Grimnir was back and part of Sigmar’s alliance and blew up fighting some primordial salamander matriarch before Archao’s invasion. And with the new Gotrek thing coming out, I guess that confirms that that Grimnir was not the ascended Gotrek.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 4, 2018

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Heir and Indy did some testing and as expected Chosen with Great Weapons destroy Depth Guard.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hhhmmm posted:

Any tips on Norsca?

I'm playing Wulfrik. Even with 6-7 provinces, I can barely afford one stack with mediocre infantry.

Overall impression of Norsca so far:

Raid

Seriously, you should be raiding most of the time, even in your home territory. Norse is unique in that raiding reduces upkeep of the army stack, which gives you a lot more money and the public order and cash penalty is really minor.

Build the +raiding/sacking income building chain in as many places as you can. 300 gold is nothing to sneeze at considering how many cities you get as norse super quickly.

It's going to be kind of raw going for a while until you sack a tier 3+ city and get a couple of 4-5 figure income sacks under your belt. Once you get to that point you'll fly through your city upgrades because norse buildings are all ridiculously cheap.

If you're doing the Mortal Empires campaign in game 2, Ally with the Hell Pit Skaven. They will backcap anything you raze, which will help you make forward progress and not have to play Kislev Whack-a-Mole. Hell Pit is pretty cowardly and after you fight Kislev for a while you should be able to straight up Vassalize them for a bit of extra money.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The unit of Irondrakes you start with as Grom are something special. They’re plenty strong fighting high tier enemies, but when all you’re facing is early game greenskin and vampire chaff, they’re glorious.

Another point in the “wish I could see the legacy kill count of a unit” box.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With Grudge Throwers being so much faster to access, the Irondrakes are definitely the stronger option now between Thorgrim and Grombrindal. As if the Ancestral events and the +3 global recruit rank skill weren't already reason enough.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
My stupid idea to rework the dwarfs is that they should get access to all their units in tier 1 buildings but the more elite units took up more army slots the earlier you got them. The higher tiers of buildings would then be used to reduce the # of slots. So you could recruit ironbreakers really early but they might take up 10-15 slots in your army until you unlock higher levels.

It seems like it'd fit with the whole vibe of the dwarfs being technologically established but low on population.

Also, rework the engie and thane so they aren't boring dogshit.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i got my Speculation muscles all fired up so i'm gonna do some Posting about the LLs i think will make game 3. I'm gonna try and gauge their chances based on their prominence in the lore, if they have models for them or not, and what we know about how CA does LLs, ie 2 per faction at launch and generally one of those two will be more melee focused and the other more casting focused, then eventually 4 through flc. Or if they're a dlc faction just 4 when they come out.

first faction off the bat is the Chaos Dwarfs

I already did a post about the general backstory of their race in this thread so go find that if you want to know about it. Long story short dwarfs go to Great Plain of Skulls, decide its too spooky, some dwarves stay, become insanely twisted by staying near skulls to long, worship a bull god and turn into stone from doing magic. They make cool machines (exoskeletons and trains) and have a lot of slaves. And big hats. Really big hats.

I think they're almost certain inclusion because CA has already modelled some (they crew the hellcannons chaos gets, zoom in on the lil guys), they're a fan favourite but GW neglected faction, and they live in the region that is gonna be in game 3.

anyway first guy:

Astragoth the Ironhand

the second pic is fanart i think but it looks pretty baller

This guy is the strongest sorcerer in all of chaos dwarfdom, and given that they're ruled by a council of sorcerers this makes him basically the Big Boss. Strong as gently caress at magic, which as we all know makes dwarfs turn into stone. He's so far gone his arms and legs have turned into lifeless stone, but he doesn't let that get him down. He got his buddies to make him a cool robot exoskeleton, which makes him the tallest dwarf and probably would let him throw an alien queen out of an airlock if he wanted.

I think he's a safe bet because he's very cool, a strong magic user, and the big boss of the chaos dwarfs. I imagine he would be like skrolk, tanky for a caster but no mount. Maybe he would get a vlad style upgrade that lets him run faster cause his leg servos got upgraded.

Drazhoath the Ashen

i dont know whats in his bowl, if its blood or fire or some kind of red evil bread dough he's kneading

This is a guy who really hosed up when he was like the hell janitor early in his career. He didn't shine Astragoth's floor well enough or whatever so he got banished to The Black Fortress, which watches over the River of Ruin by the Mountains of Mourn, adjacent to the Toilet of Turds and the Swamp of Eternal Stench. Its a bad place at the edge of Chaos Dwarf territory where the chaos dwarf version of the slayers live. Using pep and moxie Drazhoath worked his way up to the top, and now hes its evil lord. He wields the evil power of the bull god Hashut and rides around on a big rowdy bull monster.

I think he's a good bet because he would start outside the main chaos dwarf city, making it easier for them to have two factions for the otherwise pretty centrally located chaos dwarfs. He is also featured in the most recent rules GW released for chaos dwarfs, and has a giant expensive model they made for the last edition of warhammer fantasy. He'd be kind of a hybrid caster/melee with mount options.

so those two are my main picks for launch faction guys. Chaos dwarfs dont have too many characters and these are the most detailed two they have. The rest are some wild guesses based on names i can find online and stuff that has models.

Zhatan the Black

this is the best picture i could find

Zhatan is like the boss raiding/slaving guy of the Chaos Dwarves. He's strong and rides various mounts. His boss is Ghorth the Cruel who is the second strongest sorcerer and apparently in the end times sabotages Astragoth's robot limbs and leaves him to die, which seems pretty problematic to me folks. Ghorth also gets his rear end killed so thats karma bitch. Zhatan could be a strong melee guy with a focus on slave gathering and raiding.

Don't think he's super likely but I could be wrong

Gorduz Backstabber

again, best pic I could find

This guy is the biggest chieftain of hobgoblins around. He rides around the place on a wolf and tries to avoid getting betrayed by his friends. Hobgoblins are so literally backstabbing that he has a lot of scar tissue on his back that makes him more resistant to betrayal than a normal hobgoblin. Based on his name I would assume he also does a lot of betrayal. He could be a kind of Eastern Skarsnik with a focus on Hobgoblin units.

I think CA could make something of this guy, hobgoblins have a fair amount of units in the 5th edition chaos dwarf army list and they could invent more.

those four are all the named characters mentioned in either the 5th edition chaos dwarf book OR the much more recent forgeworld book from end times. Here are two who I think could be very cool additions, and reasonably within the realm of possibility:

Shar’tor the Executioner

spot the problem

Strong as hell, Shar'tor is the favourite boy of the bull god Hashut. He has a magic axe and the Mask of the Executioner, which lets him shout HASHUTTTTT! really loud and kill people with it. He gives a lot of buffs to nearby bull centaurs. He's a warrior priest, very strong, very cool looking.

Now the problem with him is that like you can see he is an Age of Sigmar character. I think that stands a good chance of just striking him out completely, but there is nothing that would prevent him having existed pre-age of sigmar. He's just a big ol bull centaur, who are probably gonna be the main monsterous cavalry units of chaos dwarfs. They could do him or someone that is him with the numbers filed off and it would be cool.

Tordrek Hackhart

very cool

All the way from Dreadfleet (just like our friends Noctilus and Aranessa!) is Tordrek Hackhart. He was an engineer at Barak Varr with Red Brokk Gunnarsson (the dwarf dreadfleet captain) who was his rival, and he got banished when he tried to murder Brokk but failed. He used his expertise in submersible design and evil chaos dwarf demon binding to turn himself into a sick cyborg, and build a demon-powered kraken-shaped submarine that he wires himself into and controls. I think Aranessa fully kicks his dick off in the dreadfleet end times novel.

I don't think he's suuuper likely, but he is very cool and could borrow some mechanics from vampire coast/lokhir to be a chaos dwarf character that plays differently. He would be a good way to get a chaos dwarf start over in lustria or the ocean.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarf bodyguard modder just made this: Grimgor rolling with his Immortulz: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1554263396

Much more accurate than just appending a banner to some Black Orcs unit (meh), or even the Krimson Killaz (totally badass but kinda over the top). A funny bug is that if you have Grimgor equipped with a Ruby Ring of Ruin (castable Fireball), every retinue member will also fire off a fireball.

EDIT: Playing a bit of SFO Dwarfs; Grudgeraker Thunderers are also badass but they don't seem to be actually that killy compared to even normal Thunderers. I guess they can pulp mobs of chaff from the flanks, but as of now they feel mostly like proto-Irondrakes since it'll take a while for you to get to Tier 4.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 4, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Roughly what time on Thursday are the VSea supposed to unlock? 2pm EST?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Playing norsca and becoming military allies with Kislev is a pro strat

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is that what you call being vassalized? :)
Remember, if you have to pay them, they're not your real friends.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Last dlc unlocked at I believe 3pm brit time, so that's like 11am est or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mentioned this before but when the unit's banner and the unit's models are this loving far, the engine and combat mechanics need some work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

Mentioned this before but when the unit's banner and the unit's models are this loving far, the engine and combat mechanics need some work.

Ehhhhh this seems like something that isn't much of a problem tbh

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Is that what you call being vassalized? :)
Remember, if you have to pay them, they're not your real friends.

Beating the poo poo out of the other tribes and clan mors makes Kislev love the poo poo out of you. No money required - just beat up and confed everywhere.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

toasterwarrior posted:

Fixing this sort of thing would get me to buy the whole game all over again. It just seems so antiquated. Presumably it's expensive to sort out or they'd have dealt with it sometime in the last 10+ years. Seem myopic though since it's one of the things that makes Time Commander-style spinoffs look so ridiculous.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Playing as Kroq-Gar in ME, after securing the jungle and desert provinces around my starting area, I get decced on by... Mazdamundi? :confused:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Fixing this sort of thing would get me to buy the whole game all over again. It just seems so antiquated. Presumably it's expensive to sort out or they'd have dealt with it sometime in the last 10+ years. Seem myopic though since it's one of the things that makes Time Commander-style spinoffs look so ridiculous.
There's Time Commanders spinoffs???

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Wafflecopper posted:

Playing as Kroq-Gar in ME, after securing the jungle and desert provinces around my starting area, I get decced on by... Mazdamundi? :confused:

It's all part of the Great Plan.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm ready to run around the world establishing pirate coves and treasure hunting, CA. Also, I'm ready for Valve to fix the workshop so that mods stop breaking the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

Mazdamundi is a massive rear end in a top hat.

Also I hope that one of the next lizard lords start off near norsca.