Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm surprised and saddened that nobody in this thread talked about the Vampire$ episode (I am part of the problem), because it rules.

I spent the first twenty minutes or so gradually thinking it sounded like John Carpenter’s Vampires, and eventually realized it wasn’t a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
At some point I realized Jay hasn't seen the film and I had no goddamned idea that was possible.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I thought the spooky Sisters of Mercy version of the theme song sounded more like Type O Negative, and I'm enjoying this episode about Vampire Dollar Sign.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I liked that they just leaned into how stupid it was and really seemed to enjoy it. Made me think about reading it

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The episodes where the book is bad but they liked reading it anyway are the best episodes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cactrot posted:

The episodes where the book is bad but they liked reading it anyway are the best episodes.

Yeah, like Necroscope.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is this a catch all for all the bad book podcasts?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is this a catch all for all the bad book podcasts?

Not by design, but this thread is slow enough that I don't think anyone would mind if you talked about a different one.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I was just listening to "Worst Bestsellers" latest episode about Red Rising. It's a book by an old white guy about teens, but it's also full of piss, sex slaves, murder. So, of course, most libraries shelve it as a YA novel.

I had to stop listening during the dramatic reading. It was a conversation/exposition dump by two wealthy women with vile personalities. My mind kept screaming "NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
TWB is my favorite. There's also Teen Creeps if you, too, are a Christopher Pike Phase Survivor (they do other stuff, too, of course).

I am still crossing my fingers that someone will do a Lurlene McDaniels book; those horrified me even as a child and I'm sure they'd be hilarious now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There's also Teen Creeps if you, too, are a Christopher Pike Phase Survivor (they do other stuff, too, of course).
Episodes on The Tachyon Web AND The Starlight Crystal? Hell yeah. No Choose Your Own Adventures, though. :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Episodes on The Tachyon Web AND The Starlight Crystal? Hell yeah. No Choose Your Own Adventures, though. :(

But they also did My Sweet Audrina, and now I have to read it because it they made it sound SO CRAZY.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't heard of Lurleen McDaniels before. What's so bad about her books?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Carbon Thief posted:

Not sure what reminded me of these terrible books, but I have to share an author I read a bunch of in high school: Lurlene McDaniel. She specializes in tragic teen romances where the main characters usually have serious illnesses. For example:

"At sixteen, Melissa Austin has always worked hard to make things go her way. As the school year begins, her grades are up and she’s even landed a coveted spot on the high school Brain Bowl team. She and her best friend, Jory Delaney, are determined to have the best junior year ever. But suddenly Melissa receives devastating news about her health. At first she refuses to accept the doctor’s diagnosis, but as her illness gets worse she cannot deny the truth. The caring and closeness Melissa feels toward her family and especially toward Jory help her find the inner strength and courage to face the mysteries of living and dying. Is it fair that there’s only a chance for one of them to survive?"

"Jessica McMillian and Jeremy Travino are a perfect couple. But now Jessica has been diagnosed as having kidney failure. She is on dialysis three days a week and is so depressed that she’s not sure she wants to live. Her one hope for a normal life is a kidney transplant, but she’s an only child and her parents aren’t suitable donors. Jeremy is determined to donate one of her kidneys to her, but his parents are terrified of losing their only child. Will Jeremy find the strength to go against his parent’s wishes and do what he must to save Jessica?"

"Trisha Thompson and her best friend Christina are having a great senior year. Trisha and her boyfriend, Cody, are making plans to attend Indiana University together in the fall, while Christina has already received a scholarship to the University of Vermont. Everything would be perfect if only Trisha got along with Christina’s controlling boyfriend Tucker, who is trying to convince Christina not to go away for college. But suddenly their lives change one night when Tucker is driving the four home from an away basketball game. When his car hits a patch of black ice and overturns, Tucker walks away with barely a scratch, but Trisha is injured, Cody is in a coma, and Christina is dead. Those left behind must learn that it takes time for their scars—both visible and not—to heal. And they must find the courage to move on with their lives."

There's a bunch more of the descriptions on the author's website.
Scroll down to the bottom third or so of the list at that link. It's really something.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 7, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So she just wants teens to gently caress and die huh?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

NO, they don't gently caress, they all Christian. And Amish. Frequently Amish.

It's hurt comfort fiction aimed at reinforcing traditional gender roles, and also they are dumb, poorly-written, formulaic garbage. Like, imagine the opposite of Judy Blume.

Girls in my fifth grade class were loving obsessed with them, those and Sunfire romance novels, which I loved because there was totally kissing BUT mostly they were historical novels about girls kicking rear end. Also terrible formulaic, but way better. (Willo Davis Roberts!!!)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

TWB is my favorite. There's also Teen Creeps if you, too, are a Christopher Pike Phase Survivor (they do other stuff, too, of course).

I am still crossing my fingers that someone will do a Lurlene McDaniels book; those horrified me even as a child and I'm sure they'd be hilarious now.

The Worst Bestsellers, episode 56: Angels Watching Over Me.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My bad. Horror movies have me primed to associate "teen has sex" with "teen dies".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

The Worst Bestsellers, episode 56: Angels Watching Over Me.

Omg how did I miss it THAAAANK YOOOOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

My bad. Horror movies have me primed to associate "teen has sex" with "teen dies".

Coach Carr?!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

That's the after-school-special books which used tragedy to explicitly impart a lesson. McDaniels was more about peddling romance and commitment without the threat of sex.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

there wolf posted:

That's the after-school-special books which used tragedy to explicitly impart a lesson. McDaniels was more about peddling romance and commitment without the threat of sex.

So kind of like Stephanie Meyer?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

To be honest, I think they're worse. At least there were SOME interesting female characters and a bit of diversity in Twilight. And I'll go to bat for The Host; I liked the concept a lot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

Twilight at least endorses sex within marriage as a good thing. McDaniel's was always about avoiding sex all together; boyfriends never ask for sex, they often can't have it (literal angel boyfriend will protect you but never touch you) and if it comes up through circumstance they're quick to assure you that they don't want it. I think Twilight, even with it's own host of regressive issues, is better because at least Bella is presented as a sexual being who eventually gets to a point where she can act on it safely and with enthusiasm.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What I'm getting from this Maze Runner episode is that the author had a really good idea for a streetwear brand but decided to make a novel instead, possibly in an attempt to do a reverse Marc Ecko's Getting Down

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Actually, it's Marc Ecko's Getting Up Contents Under Pressure, and yes, you have to say the whole thing

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Actually, Marc Ecko was the scientist

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Such a shame that we never got to see Marc Ecko's planned video game adaptation of Macbeth.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Marcbeth

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
As is traditional, the author of this week's book turned out to be a notorious sex pest, which became public earlier this year.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Those Maze Runner books are so meh; I don't get why they're still popular.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Are they still?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

They are at my school, but not as popular as they were last year.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a 36 year old guy and Judy Bloom comes up in Worst Bestseller often enough to pique my interest. Should I give any of her books a read.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Judy Blume (:tizzy:) is mostly famous for her books for girls about periods (Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret) and sex (Forever). Possibly interesting, probably difficult to read without feeling like an absolute creep. I remember liking her Fudge series enough, but I haven't read them since I was 10 at the latest. She's also written a few novels for adults, of which Summer Sisters seems to be the most popular.

Edit: Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself might be worth a look.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 17, 2018

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a 36 year old guy and Judy Bloom comes up in Worst Bestseller often enough to pique my interest. Should I give any of her books a read.

Yes. I don't think it's creepy, but it might not be very interesting to you.

Judy Blume has a wonderful talent for understanding how situations look and feel to kids, and is equally skilled at expressing such. Hell, Superfudge has become really trendy in our school's library this past month, and my kids really don't like "old books "

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

neongrey posted:

As is traditional, the author of this week's book turned out to be a notorious sex pest, which became public earlier this year.

Wait the author of the Maze Runner books? Do they even have an author? I thought they came out of one of those writer mills like Maximum Ride books.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

there wolf posted:

Wait the author of the Maze Runner books? Do they even have an author? I thought they came out of one of those writer mills like Maximum Ride books.

Yep, him, and they do. The hubub around it was pretty big in book circles when it broke.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Judy Blume has a wonderful talent for understanding how situations look and feel to kids, and is equally skilled at expressing such. Hell, Superfudge has become really trendy in our school's library this past month, and my kids really don't like "old books "
Judy Blume also never really sugarcoated anything about the general bullshit kids have to deal with. When I was a teen I just had a bunch of them through garage sales and I read them out of curiosity. She never really talks down to the audience and she has a pretty good understanding of teen bullshit and how it's a weird time; Blubber is a pretty accurate view of teen bullying and Then Again, Maybe I Won't is a good novel about male puberty and feeling guilt for doing something you shouldn't. And she never really tries to wrap them all up in happy endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

A lot of old children's/YA literature was very clearly written by adults who had no idea how children actually speak, so they either sound like mini-adults or like idolized "Well golly gee ma, I would never" caricatures. Blume was one of the first authors who wrote child characters that acted and sounded like their own age. Are You There God? It's Me ,Margaret was written in 1970 and hardly seemed dated at all when I read it as a tween in the early 2000s.