Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Reach out with a brick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spergin Morlock posted:

Lol Rob monster

I've never been the head of a corporation

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Also LOL at being based in Sammamish

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Seriously, with the exception of the ACLU, is there anywhere that fights for free speech where it isn't code for bigotry and hate speech?

NAMBLA, if we ignore the spirit of your question?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Bob Socko posted:

Looks like Gab is coming back online. Here is an interview with the sucker who’s helping out. Also, nice use of quotes in the opening sentence.

Oh it gets better. Here's Epik's blog post on the subject.

quote:

De-platforming a haven of free speech is not about left or right. Anyone who remembers studying civics is familiar with the concept of inalienable rights — rights that a worthy government can only protect but would have no moral authority to take away. The idea of Natural Law and Inalienable Rights dates back to Ancient Greece, if not before. Tolerance for competing views — including those protected by Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press — is not an American concept even though the Founding Fathers of the United States built a prosperous nation around the concept.

These days there are many kinds of online content that some people find objectionable. When it comes to publishing content, online or offline, there is an interplay between free will and personal responsibility. Specific to Gab, the decision to not only tolerate but to welcome competing views, does come with a responsibility to take action when free will is exhibited without personal responsibility. This was famously illustrated in the opinion rendered by Supreme Court in Watt vs. United States (1969) where threats of violence was deemed unlawful.

Ah yes, the classic double refuge of "it's free speech" and "it's not illegal to say this."

quote:

One of the unique features of Gab is their democratic approach to capitalization. For an online media portal with exponential growth, there are variety of potential acquirers and investors that would have a keen interest in providing growth capital, even for a business model that is presently loss-making as is the case with Gab. Rather than go down Sand Hill Road, they have opted to follow in the footsteps of Blockchain by designing a distributed ownership model. And while Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) lost some of their heady momentum, the premise of shared ownership for shared outcomes remains compelling.

Uhhuh. Bitcoin.

Crunchbase describes Epik as something a bit more than just a registrar.

quote:

The company is marrying a network of domain name with a proprietary content management system and an exclusive partnership with semantic web leader, Evri.com, which is backed by Paul Allen.

Domain owners are able to submit their domains to the Epik network and, if accepted, domains are mapped to content and included in the content network. Domain owners earn a revenue share.

Evri appears to be no more (as of 2012?), and there's no sign of Epik being anything other than another registrar from the front. The 2009 founding of Epik and 2012 death of their business partner seem to correspond well to the beginning of the bust of the "semantic web" business model. Apparently the "proprietary CMS" was part of another company that Rob Monster owned, but that ended up nowhere and he left as CEO there last year.

Rob Monster, whose name I simply refuse to believe is real, has been all over the domain name market in all sorts of deals for at least a decade. The only newsish item I was able to dig up that wasn't just some PR puff piece by industry journals is this blog post at an internet pharmaceutical vendor verification service, yes really, that is upset about Epik and their policies because they won't kick off pharmaceutical vendors doing internet business illegally.

In one of the news articles, unfortunately lost to a badly-timed private browsing window closure, Rob showed up in the comments. Someone else came by and complemented him on how good of a businessman and Christian he was. I mention this because their management page is very, very white and the only two women in Director roles just also happen to really feel the need to talk about religion on their corporate profiles. I don't think it'd be too much of a leap to assume that the entire company is just made of chuds from bottom to top.

Also,

Spergin Morlock posted:

Also LOL at being based in Sammamish

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since you mention domain a names, I honestly wonder if Epik is just interest in the Gab.com domain and is offering a place to park it at his registrar and will “acquire” it in the event that Gab goes bust.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

VROOM VROOM posted:

Epik CEO Rob Monster

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VROOM VROOM posted:

Epik CEO Rob Monster
yo what the gently caress

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Nov 4, 2018

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I guess it's interesting that CEOs are using pseudonyms now, but I mean, don't tell me moot's real name is Christopher Poole. That dog won't hunt, monsignor. Just more internet bleeding into the real world.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/erinbiba/status/1058776413757681665?s=19

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't remember if it was gab or one of the other 'free speech' platforms, but when a leftist account ended up being the most followed account there they banned it for 'fraudulent follows' or something.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I think it was actually one of their dumb lovely youtube knockoffs but I can't remember which

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
:siren:IN OTHER HELLWORLD NEWS::siren:
https://twitter.com/aiizavva/status/1058477451398004742

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Pewdiepie is a piece of poo poo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

oh. i was kinda hoping both were fading away finally

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Uncle Wemus posted:

oh. i was kinda hoping both were fading away finally

civilization delenda est :d2a:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Question Friend posted:

I would say the only way to vaccine against nazis is to have everyone in your country be the same race but then you just get prejudice against like, Samis by Finns or Ainu by Japanese

No one cares about the Ainu, the Japanese alt-right is all about hating on generational permanent resident Koreans (about the same proportion of the population as undocumented Latinos in the US) left over from the colonial period.

The western tendency to go "but they're first-world east Asians too, so they must be the same race" makes a ton of it go under the radar.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Thompsons posted:

I think it was actually one of their dumb lovely youtube knockoffs but I can't remember which

yeah they tried to make a racist youtube for "free speech" but it ended up getting filled with communist shitpost vids that were way more popular than anything the fash made and then those channels got mysteriously banned

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

Pewdiepie is a piece of poo poo

oh yeah?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
shapiro better be careful, he is close to alex jonesing himself into more of a joke than he already is

i was interested to see how many extra subs he got in the past few days since that video and it was barely more than a thousand over the normal amount

i was also surprised to see his channel is really small, i always assumed it was massive with all his fox news appearances and shows :shrug:

i dont understand how somone like candace owens gets a hundred times more popular than him in less than a year when he has been working at it for a decade, is she just a master grifter

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
most of the comments that actually mention him and know who he is are

“i hate his politics but he seems like a good guy“ fuckin libs

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ben shapiros content is just really really boring, like not even in a way that's intriguing because its weird and bad in a jacob wohl way, and hes only a meme because of people making fun of him which i think is what that pewdiepie thing is about idk im not watching it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shapiro is the go-to for people who want to be idiot right wingers but also want to pretend an air of intellectualism, he's probably the most popular nazi-aligned podcaster other than Rogan

people like him and Charlie Kirk will always be huge, largely reviled losers because their entire presence has nothing to do with their popularity, they are actors with independent means, and the role they play is being "this young person agrees with me, I feel validated!" for olds who consume the media bubble they never leave

they will never go away until the Mercers or Kochs or whatever billionaire is funding them decides they're no longer of any value, at which point they will disappear overnight, see Milo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

a.lo posted:

oh yeah?

He's been pretty alt-right adjacent recently, so gently caress him, he has a massive audience and thus a large responsibility

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
australian nazi update

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1058844831252852737

3 days ago

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1058195160767447041

:thunk:

and also

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1058232170290921475

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ooops! All Nazis!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
you know what tipped off the national party to this nazi problem?

someone in the leadership noticed a lot (20) of young people joining a conservative political party in a short period of time (an entire year) :lol:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Reclines Obesily posted:

shapiro better be careful, he is close to alex jonesing himself into more of a joke than he already is

i was interested to see how many extra subs he got in the past few days since that video and it was barely more than a thousand over the normal amount

i was also surprised to see his channel is really small, i always assumed it was massive with all his fox news appearances and shows :shrug:

i dont understand how somone like candace owens gets a hundred times more popular than him in less than a year when he has been working at it for a decade, is she just a master grifter

she's a girl (huge bonus) and she's black (conservatives love being told they're right and also not racist AT ALL by "one of the good ones")

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

she's a girl (huge bonus) and she's black (conservatives love being told they're right and also not racist AT ALL by "one of the good ones")

shapiros original grift was that he was saying conservative talking points but as a young person which was a much bigger deal in 2010 or whatever when he started

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

SpaceGoku posted:

is she black? i thought she blexited or whatever

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
People like Owens are incredibly valuable to the right because they're smart, telegenic, and don't mind reenforcing the racist status quo in exchange for big bucks.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

shapiros original grift was that he was saying conservative talking points but as a young person which was a much bigger deal in 2010 or whatever when he started

yeah he kind of got old along the way

you can't do the "it's cool to be a virgin" schtick when you're 35

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

yeah he kind of got old along the way

you can't do the "it's cool to be a virgin" schtick when you're 35

i feel like the marketplace of people who just repeat conservative talking points but its a big deal because they aren't literally 76 year old men is really overcrowded

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shapiro owes everything to the Kochs, who found him on some kind of reactionary talent search and bought him every platform he has. I can believe that he has very little organic following: the whole reason the Kochs and the Praeger U millionaires bankroll people like that is to create the impression that right-wing ideas are about as popular as left ideas. They don’t care if anyone actually follows or likes their media creations.

Candice at least built her own rickety following as a genuine crazy person willing to beat the pavement in search of Mercer money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/erinbiba/status/1059078265141448705

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, like pro-white genocide weebs going on J-Date or like people who think the world is ending because interracial marriage is on the rise?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine not being interested in white genocide

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Dipshit posted:

Wait, like pro-white genocide weebs going on J-Date or like people who think the world is ending because interracial marriage is on the rise?

they created a category for people who believe the conspiracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Shapiro is useful cause he basically regurgitates nazi talking points without immediately sounding like a crazy person. The sort of right wingers who are put off by pizzagate and Qanon bullshit really love Shapiro.