Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Why do people assume all the obscure secrets in Undertale had to do with Gaster again other than the few NPCs that outright namedrop him. Like I think it’s pretty cool you get a bit about this background character but it was really hasty to umbrella every bit of secret content in the game under that.

I hope if Gaster is going to be relevant at all it’s going to be novel instead of lipservice to the rickety fanon shack built on minimal dialogue and an Uboa reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Of fuckin' course it's not in the dialog on the actual moss, I only play this game once a drat year and can't be hosed to look at the rest of the dialog in the scene, gently caress me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nina posted:

Why do people assume all the obscure secrets in Undertale had to do with Gaster again other than the few NPCs that outright namedrop him. Like I think it’s pretty cool you get a bit about this background character but it was really hasty to umbrella every bit of secret content in the game under that.

I hope if Gaster is going to be relevant at all it’s going to be novel instead of lipservice to the rickety fanon shack built on minimal dialogue and an Uboa reference

The track that plays during the fake character creation sequence at the beginning uses Gaster's leitmotif and the title is a reference to the filename of his theme from Undertale. It seems to imply that the one giving us the survey (as well as the game over text, since that has the same "voice" as the survey) is Gaster, so he has some meta role in all this.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I’m gonna laugh if Toby comes out and says “Gaster existed as foreshadowing to Deltarune and after seeing fans attribute way too much to him, I had to remove him from the finished game so that people wouldn’t make him the center of it.”

Toby’d probably never outright say something like that, but the thought of it tickles me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Imagine how Toby feels if he messed something up in his own lore. Like, maybe he just forgot that his monsters don't have blood when he wrote the bucket scene. And now, thousands of fans are creating elaborate webs of theories from a simple fuckup.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

IMPORTANT TAKES

game good

furry boys good

mean girl good

:shittydog: good

please continue to inject fan theories into my veins i must overconsume

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Imagine how Toby feels if he messed something up in his own lore. Like, maybe he just forgot that his monsters don't have blood when he wrote the bucket scene. And now, thousands of fans are creating elaborate webs of theories from a simple fuckup.

Something is definitely unusual about the Darkners, in any case. Even the ones unfortunate enough to meet Susie just got pancaked.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since enemies run away before they die, does that mean it's not possible to gain exp?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ymgve posted:

I just took everything to mean the internal consistency of Undertale’s setting does not reach into Deltarune. The town sections feel really mundane in a way that makes me think bullet pattern birthday cards are just not a thing with these monsters. They’re just people that look different

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Nina posted:

I just took everything to mean the internal consistency of Undertale’s setting does not reach into Deltarune. The town sections feel really mundane in a way that makes me think bullet pattern birthday cards are just not a thing with these monsters. They’re just people that look different

One of the town monsters ask you "does it hurt to be made out of blood" or something like that, so monsters not having blood seems to still be a thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Since enemies run away before they die, does that mean it's not possible to gain exp?

Exactly, but there's a chance that could change in the full version. Fortunately you seem to start out at way less of a disadvantage than you did in Undertale at any rate.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ymgve posted:

One of the town monsters ask you "does it hurt to be made out of blood" or something like that, so monsters not having blood seems to still be a thing.

I thought monster was a ghost and therefore is a special monster?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DoubleCakes posted:

I thought monster was a ghost and therefore is a special monster?

You don't get to see the monster that says that, that dialogue appears when you knock on the doors of one of the apartment buildings. And before that, they specifically identify you as a human.

quote:

* Ooo, are you the human that lives at the top of town?
* Wow, my mommy told me about you...
* Does it hurt to be made of blood???

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1059099905485168640

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Re: Gaster’s role in this nonsense, the game does do funny things if you name yourself or the Vessel “Gaster.” Try it sometime.

Anyway this game is cool and good and I cannot wait for the full version.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The theory that Darkners have blood seems rather weak overall, the whole bucket thing could be easily accounted for by Lancer knowing that a human is in the party, that humans have blood, and that blood is super cool and dark.

The enemies getting 'flattened' could allude to the fact that most of the enemies are either playing cards or jigsaw pieces

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 4, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about it for a couple days and Deltarune seems to me, to be more about accepting inevitability and deciding what we do with ourselves in the face of that. Undertale was about being able to go back and fix everything, Deltarune is about the choices we make along the way when we don't have the ability to affect the ultimate fate of everything.

It's a really relevant theme considering the current state of affairs in the world, with all of us faced with wide-reaching problems that any of us can't really affect. But we're all with each other in the dark.

Go vote on Tuesday.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ymgve posted:

I am rather tickled by the idea of a game designer taking the same tack I do when GMing my RPG sessions.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Finally ha the chance to sit down and finish the game last night. Ending was a huge gut punch and hook but I am craving so much more. Even beat Jevil in about half an hour that Merry-Go-Round can rightly gently caress off . I want it finished now but I understand Toby. Hopefully you get a good team together and you and Temmi will have full creative control.

just stay determined Toby

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Go vote on Tuesday.

Dolash posted:

Be sure to Deltarune Go to the polls this Tuesday, folks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think the C. Disks are the temmies of the dark world, because they're simple and the normal rules don't apply to them

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gaster could remain something only referenced in optional secret bosses and file names and leitmotifs or could show up as the final boss of Deltarune and give a long monologue about their grand scheme in wingdings, and it's probably premature to get too entrenched on your opinion about which it'll be.

Suffice it to say that he's certainly been more involved in Deltarune than he was in Undertale and is a notable piece of connective tissue when trying to understand how the two games are connected, so obviously people might try to draw an upward trajectory from that. However, we're going to have a few years' wait at best before finding out if that's going anywhere and getting too invested in the argument now might colour perception of the final product.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

This dialogue had better be in the finished game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey keep this all under your hats, but I heard if you complete all the optional content Gaster gives you back the body you created and Delta Rune becomes a dating sim.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I finished the game, which means it's everybody's favourite time, speculation time!

Sorry in advance for being so long winded, but I think this is all pretty neat.

Throughout the game you are basically introduced to three different people named Kris.
You have the one you play at the start.
This Kris has no hobbies of their own, their side of the room is barren except for an old birdcage and a child's wagon.
They don't really speak or do anything on their own, they just sort of do whatever someone tells them to do.
And not only do they not have any friends, but they are seen as being quiet to the point of being kind of creepy.

The game shows this off by not letting you explore anything but your own house, you are basically railroaded the moment you leave, Toriel takes you straight to school, you only interact with the other kids because you're told to ask for a partner, and you are basically bullied into the supply closet by Susie, at no point do you get to say no or even go down a different route.
And the closest thing you have to a dialogue option is basically a "Do you want to continue the story?" option

But you later on, if you take the time to talk to people, you are introduced to another Kris.
This Kris played video games with their older brother, they enjoyed spending time with their family and they even play pranks on the neighbor girl, this Kris was also devastated by the break up of their parents and their brother leaving.

Basically, they were at one point a regular kid with regular kid hobbies and regular kid issues.

Then there is the Kris you meet in the dark world, a Kris who couldn't be more different from the one who entered the supply closet if they tried.
They are charismatic, they are inspirational, they are compassionate, they are protective and above all else, they are a leader.

And this is reflected in the mechanics, there are options too be mean, but they usually involve you going out of your way too do so.
I mean, take the tutorial encounter, your only ACT options are hug dummy and hug Ralsei. and they don't get meaner from there.
You now have multiple dialogue options with people, they try to shield Susie, hell in the final battle their unique act command is them inspiring courage in their friends.

This continues once you return to the light world, they, independent of you, call Susie their friend.
They have quite a number of dialogue options which boil down to them just asking people about themselves, too the point people will comment on how sociable you're being.
And you can finally take your time and just explore the town.

The theory I hear the most is that you the player and your soul have been hijacking Kris's body and this the reason they act the way they do, after all why try to be anyone when someone can steal your body at any time.
And there is evidence of this, the things you say to the Undertale characters (Mainly Undyne and Sans) only make sense if you already know them, not knowing certain things (Like why Rudy is in the hospital and how to play the piano) and the whole "Kris literally rips you souls out of their body" thing.

But I have a different idea, namely that while you are controlling things, the soul you are using isn't yours, it's Kris's and you aren't hijacking their body, you are helping them reclaim it.

They choke up when drinking the hot chocolate, since they remember when their family was together, sometime the player wouldn't know.
They get super depressed if you toss away the ball of items they gathered, since they are treasured memories of a grand adventure, something the player wouldn't care about, since well, they threw it away.

But above all else is the save file that's already labeled Kris, which would only exist if Kris had been to the dark world before.

So my theory is Kris had already been on an adventure, but it ended badly, VERY badly.
It ended with them losing their soul, while their body made their way back to the light world.
This would explain their radical change in personality, their soul, the very culmination of their very being, their compassion and determination is gone. And without it they are unable to form attachments with people, have any interests or really go out of their way to do things for themselves.

This is what was happening in the beginning, the game flashes Kris's soul and asks you to make a vessel, you were trying to make one for the soul you found, only to be told no, you don't get to make that choice.

And this is what was happening at the end, Kris's body, having been reunited with their soul, their determination, is taking control regardless of what you or Kris want.

Anyway, sorry again for the long rear end post, but this game is interesting as hell and I seriously hope it gets made, even if it takes years too do so.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pulsarcat posted:

I finished the game, which means it's everybody's favourite time, speculation time!

Sorry in advance for being so long winded, but I think this is all pretty neat.

Throughout the game you are basically introduced to three different people named Kris.
You have the one you play at the start.
This Kris has no hobbies of their own, their side of the room is barren except for an old birdcage and a child's wagon.
They don't really speak or do anything on their own, they just sort of do whatever someone tells them to do.
And not only do they not have any friends, but they are seen as being quiet to the point of being kind of creepy.

The game shows this off by not letting you explore anything but your own house, you are basically railroaded the moment you leave, Toriel takes you straight to school, you only interact with the other kids because you're told to ask for a partner, and you are basically bullied into the supply closet by Susie, at no point do you get to say no or even go down a different route.
And the closest thing you have to a dialogue option is basically a "Do you want to continue the story?" option

But you later on, if you take the time to talk to people, you are introduced to another Kris.
This Kris played video games with their older brother, they enjoyed spending time with their family and they even play pranks on the neighbor girl, this Kris was also devastated by the break up of their parents and their brother leaving.

Basically, they were at one point a regular kid with regular kid hobbies and regular kid issues.

Then there is the Kris you meet in the dark world, a Kris who couldn't be more different from the one who entered the supply closet if they tried.
They are charismatic, they are inspirational, they are compassionate, they are protective and above all else, they are a leader.

And this is reflected in the mechanics, there are options too be mean, but they usually involve you going out of your way too do so.
I mean, take the tutorial encounter, your only ACT options are hug dummy and hug Ralsei. and they don't get meaner from there.
You now have multiple dialogue options with people, they try to shield Susie, hell in the final battle their unique act command is them inspiring courage in their friends.

This continues once you return to the light world, they, independent of you, call Susie their friend.
They have quite a number of dialogue options which boil down to them just asking people about themselves, too the point people will comment on how sociable you're being.
And you can finally take your time and just explore the town.

The theory I hear the most is that you the player and your soul have been hijacking Kris's body and this the reason they act the way they do, after all why try to be anyone when someone can steal your body at any time.
And there is evidence of this, the things you say to the Undertale characters (Mainly Undyne and Sans) only make sense if you already know them, not knowing certain things (Like why Rudy is in the hospital and how to play the piano) and the whole "Kris literally rips you souls out of their body" thing.

But I have a different idea, namely that while you are controlling things, the soul you are using isn't yours, it's Kris's and you aren't hijacking their body, you are helping them reclaim it.

They choke up when drinking the hot chocolate, since they remember when their family was together, sometime the player wouldn't know.
They get super depressed if you toss away the ball of items they gathered, since they are treasured memories of a grand adventure, something the player wouldn't care about, since well, they threw it away.

But above all else is the save file that's already labeled Kris, which would only exist if Kris had been to the dark world before.

So my theory is Kris had already been on an adventure, but it ended badly, VERY badly.
It ended with them losing their soul, while their body made their way back to the light world.
This would explain their radical change in personality, their soul, the very culmination of their very being, their compassion and determination is gone. And without it they are unable to form attachments with people, have any interests or really go out of their way to do things for themselves.

This is what was happening in the beginning, the game flashes Kris's soul and asks you to make a vessel, you were trying to make one for the soul you found, only to be told no, you don't get to make that choice.

And this is what was happening at the end, Kris's body, having been reunited with their soul, their determination, is taking control regardless of what you or Kris want.

Anyway, sorry again for the long rear end post, but this game is interesting as hell and I seriously hope it gets made, even if it takes years too do so.

I seriously like your theory! If this game really does end up a rather Persona-esque spin on Undertale, with you entering Dark Worlds to help other portrait characters like Noelle with their problems, it'd be an interesting spin to have the last character you help be yourself.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Before reading other people's experience with the game, I kinda hoped that "Kris" just meant I got some other player's character, and there were someone else now walking around with the character I created. Though I guess the fact that he wasn't called xXxluv4sansxXx should have been a hint.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Okay, THE WORLD REVOLVING is such an earworm that I can't get it out of my head and it's driving me insane, help

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ymgve posted:

Before reading other people's experience with the game, I kinda hoped that "Kris" just meant I got some other player's character, and there were someone else now walking around with the character I created. Though I guess the fact that he wasn't called xXxluv4sansxXx should have been a hint.

:same:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ymgve posted:

You only get capital letters in the name-entry interface. It's not physically possible name either your vessel or yourself "Kris". The closest you can do is "KRIS".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Bee posted:

I seriously like your theory! If this game really does end up a rather Persona-esque spin on Undertale, with you entering Dark Worlds to help other portrait characters like Noelle with their problems, it'd be an interesting spin to have the last character you help be yourself.

The theory actually gets me thinking:
What if deltarune leans more towards metaphorical symbolism rather than literals.

What if Kris is depressed, and the SOUL ripping isnt as much a literal SOUL ripping as much as slipping into destructive, manic phases of depression. The formula for something like that is all there: Being a teenager, a small, kinda dysfunctional town where you see the same faces everyday, a smothering, overly(?) religious mother, a divorce where Toriel is quite bitter about it and Asgore is in a rut sleeping in his own shop which he cant pay the rent on, a brother who you are constantly low-key reminded is better than you and managed to escape the town and why arent you happy kris, you used to be so happy, you used to all come over after church being a happy family why arent you happy kris

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 4, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zereth posted:

You only get capital letters in the name-entry interface. It's not physically possible name either your vessel or yourself "Kris". The closest you can do is "KRIS".

Sure, but I thought the game just corrected for that.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

CuddlyZombie posted:

Okay, THE WORLD REVOLVING is such an earworm that I can't get it out of my head and it's driving me insane, help
hope this helps

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Another minor detail I like is that Asriel's game console had one real one and one bootleg one. No guesses as to which one Kris had to use.

Now Ralsei? Ralsei would take that Mad Catz controller. In fact, he'd tell you how much more he likes the grips and the barely functional turbo button on it, and thank you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Bee posted:

Another minor detail I like is that Asriel's game console had one real one and one bootleg one. No guesses as to which one Kris had to use.

Now Ralsei? Ralsei would take that Mad Catz controller. In fact, he'd tell you how much more he likes the grips and the barely functional turbo button on it, and thank you.

Honestly, I would be shocked if Asriel didn't let Kris use the real controller.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm tickled pink by the inclusion of "gun's" even if it wasn't intended as a Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden reference.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

No way it wasn't intended. Toby is a man of taste.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

The Bee posted:

i'm sorry, Good Boy Ralsei™ is too mindful to bottle in his feelings like that. He would gently bring up the idea of taking turns using the better controller, but insist that you can use the nicer one first.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CuddlyZombie posted:

No help is needed, embrace the madness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHnXh_3ndXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What if Kris is depressed, and the SOUL ripping isnt as much a literal SOUL ripping as much as slipping into destructive, manic phases of depression. The formula for something like that is all there: Being a teenager, a small, kinda dysfunctional town where you see the same faces everyday, a smothering, overly(?) religious mother, a divorce where Toriel is quite bitter about it and Asgore is in a rut sleeping in his own shop which he cant pay the rent on, a brother who you are constantly low-key reminded is better than you and managed to escape the town and why arent you happy kris, you used to be so happy, you used to all come over after church being a happy family why arent you happy kris

This is pretty much what I am inclined towards also. And I think it supports a common thing which is that while in depression, your depressed self feels 'real', whereas being not depressed, and any positive interaction you might have feels 'fake'. Hence, the idea of Kris externalising their Soul as a negative thing that is controlling them.

Also, to hopefully not be hypocritical here, I will point out the thing about the pianos in the hospital that Kris is unable to play as he once was, does actually mirror Toby's own experiences with RSI. Thinking about that made that scene 100x as sad for me :(

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 4, 2018