Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Yeah, if it had any kind of purpose I guess I'd be less inclined to blame the technology. I just don't see why we went from impervious plastic to oxidizable copper for apparently no benefit.

To be clear, it's not like I'm soaking it or anything. This is a level of dampness that my cellphone survives undamaged; I don't think it's a big ask to want the other things in my pockets to be even slightly resistant to water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

my big angry thing of the day: when places insist on cash only. it's 20-loving-18, let me just use the magic plastic that I have, I don't want to have to go to an ATM!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know what the hell you're doing to your chip cards; I've had mine in a basic leather wallet for years while working outside in all sorts of weather, bike riding through storms and poo poo and haven't had a problem.

The only reason they even let you mag swipe at all is because the store is willing to take the risk that your particular transaction is fraudulent rather than possibly lose the sale. Used to work at a small hardware store where they would just tell you to use another form of payment.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The implementation of chip technology in the U.S. has been as half-assed and grudging as it's possible to be while still technically working at all.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've had UK and Australian chip bank cards for like the past 25 years now and could count on one hand the number of times I've has issues with them. I can remember one card that got a bit dodgy about reading the chip towards the end of it's 4 year life but the bank just sent the replacement card out earlier when I told them.

My pet peeve is that I'm starting to forget my pin because Australia is going cashless and I don't need to get cash out anymore and only payments over AU$100 need a pin so I get a moment of panic as I try to remember it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FluxFaun posted:

my big angry thing of the day: when places insist on cash only. it's 20-loving-18, let me just use the magic plastic that I have, I don't want to have to go to an ATM!

It's only a peeve to me when a new restaurant does it just because they think it's "trendy" and/or makes them unique. If it's some small remote village or something I don't mind it so much.

My related friend peeve is people who never, ever have any cash on them. I get it, cards are easier, but at least have 20-40 dollars on you just in case we happen to pick a cash only place or the card reader breaks. I don't like being the designated money lender just because you can't fit a 20 dollar bill in your ugly money clip or rubber band or whatever people use instead of a wallet now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's only a peeve to me when a new restaurant does it just because they think it's "trendy" and/or makes them unique.

That's a thing?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

That's a thing?

I have seen newly opened places do it and that plus their general ambiance leads to me believe that's the reason they did it because nothing else makes sense.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FluxFaun posted:

Places that do this are so weird, nobody I know walks around carrying cash. When they tell me that it's cash only, I tell them that I can't buy from them and leave. They have to be turning away 95% or more of their customers and the only explanation I can think of is that they don't care how many customers they have because it's actually a money laundering operation.

I've never had any problems with my chips over the past several years, but I also don't run into a ton of places with chip readers so I agree that the supposed extra security is pointless. Some stores near me don't even have magnetic strip readers and use 1960s credit card imprinters.

I wish we could go cashless but it will never happen here because of how much people distrust banks.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

having to explain to grown-rear end adults that no, a balloon will not float unless it's filled with helium

sure you can blow them up yourself if you don't want to pay us but they won't inherently float

the looks on their faces are priceless tbh but also infuriating

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

FluxFaun posted:

Every business doing that is either paying their employees under the table, good if they are paying a living wage, or avoiding taxes in which case :thermidor:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

DontMockMySmock posted:

What happens (here in 'Murica) is it goes "can't read chip, try again", and you try again, and you try a third time, and after the third time it says "oh well swipe that poo poo i guess" and then the mag strip goes through just fine. If you just start off with the mag stripe, it gets angry and tells you to use the chip.

If it didn't let you do that, I wouldn't be able to buy anything because, as discussed, the chip contacts oxidize after the slightest contact with leg-sweat. So I am baffled at how this system is ever supposed to work. You either undermine the supposed security increase by allowing mag swiping, or you make it impossible to make purchases with a card after about a month. :confused:

edit: I feel like I'm being an idiot, like seriously, there must be something I'm missing here. Someone tell me why i'm an idiot, please!

You're being perfectly reasonable. It's a luck of the draw thing with card life. My wife keeps her card in her purse in a wallet. It makes it 3 months at best before it stops reading. Mine doesn't do that, but maybe my next one will.

I can't stand the chip and pin thing at all. I loath it. Every transaction takes so much longer than it used to. I love going to the few gas stations that don't use chip. It's such a pleasure to swipe my card and they say "Thanks!" and that's the end of it.

Instead we have this bullshit:
"Credit or Debit?"
"Do you want cash back?"
"Enter PIN"
"Is this amount correct?"
"Do not remove card."
"Approved"
"TAKE THE loving CARD OUT NOW YOU loving rear end in a top hat!!!! NOW! NOW! NOW! BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!"

Maybe this isn't irritating to people in other countries, but I'd rather have people stealing my card number (which has never happened to me) than have my day be a little bit shittier every time I have to buy something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mostlygray posted:

You're being perfectly reasonable. It's a luck of the draw thing with card life. My wife keeps her card in her purse in a wallet. It makes it 3 months at best before it stops reading. Mine doesn't do that, but maybe my next one will.

:psyduck:

I have literally never heard of people having problem with chip cards breaking often before this thread

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Andrast posted:

:psyduck:

I have literally never heard of people having problem with chip cards breaking often before this thread

There are grocery stores here where the chip on my bank card just won’t work. It doesn’t even say chip read error, it just says “denied”.

It’s embarrassing when it happens.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Rolo posted:

There are grocery stores here where the chip on my bank card just won’t work. It doesn’t even say chip read error, it just says “denied”.

It’s embarrassing when it happens.

That is always the worst experience. You know there shouldn't be a problem, but the cashier/waiter/etc always gets that smug "uhhuh, sure buddy" look on their face and asks if you want to try another card in that fake "i know you accidentally gave me a maxed out card but we'll pretend there's something wrong with it" tone.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I hate that so much. Card gets declined for a $7 purchase despite money in the bank and they look at you like you're an idiot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a particular reason the US apparently can't get debit/credit cards to work properly?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Because people complain about any possible changes so nothing ever gets fixed. My old bank from before my last move put PINs on their credit cards and so many people lost their poo poo about having to remember four digits that they got rid of them a little over a month later.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I had to remember 3 different 6 digit pins for my debit and 2 credit cards in switzerland and it was some bullshit. One four digit one is already enough for me.

Meanwhile I have no problem remembering my 12 character random letter/number/symbol passwords from work because i'm too lazy to change it like they tell you to. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I had to remember 3 different 6 digit pins for my debit and 2 credit cards in switzerland and it was some bullshit. One four digit one is already enough for me.

Meanwhile I have no problem remembering my 12 character random letter/number/symbol passwords from work because i'm too lazy to change it like they tell you to. :shrug:

Is there a reason you didn't just have a single debit/credit card?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

Is there a reason you didn't just have a single debit/credit card?

Probably, but I don't remember it. They just by default gave me a debit (maestro) card and a visa and mastercard credit cards. I guess that covered all the bases. In germany I just got a maestro so I don't know.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm Canadian; tapping my credit card on the reader has become automatic behaviour for me. When I travel to the States, I always find it a little depressing that I'm looking specifically for an Apple logo to get a hint about whether my cards are going to give me trouble at checkout.

That or I'm in a rush and just pressing my card against a useless terminal and the cashier is staring at me like i'm an idiot :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Can't you just change the pin on your card like in civilised countries?

America Switzerland, what the gently caress

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cat owner peeve: when you're cleaning the litter box and that last clump of piss or single turd JUST WILL NOT get into the scooper no matter how hard you try.

I still love the gently caress out of my two cats, though.

But man, can they poo poo and piss in the box like I'm a hoarder home full of 80 cats.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My chip card works fine everywhere welp thanks for reading

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

My chip card works fine everywhere welp thanks for reading

More like oldproblemless.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I think once I had to pull it from the reader and rub my thumb over the pads or something, then it worked. And one time I inserted the card backwards but tbh that one's on me. Zero other issues.

In comparison the SD reader on my 3D printer is getting a bit janky so sometimes I have to repeatedly insert it to scratch the contacts clean before it'll read. The card design seems to be just fine in comparison :shrug:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

More like oldpeeveless.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

You Are A Elf posted:

Cat owner peeve: when you're cleaning the litter box and that last clump of piss or single turd JUST WILL NOT get into the scooper no matter how hard you try.

I still love the gently caress out of my two cats, though.

But man, can they poo poo and piss in the box like I'm a hoarder home full of 80 cats.

One of my cats "buries" poop by scratching uselessly at the side of the litterbox. Like digging but pointless. The sound it makes is infuriating, but even if you pick her up and move her, at first opportunity she'll return to her futile "digging." Sometimes she even stops and looks at her handiwork like "what am I doing wrong?? :("

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of my cats "buries" poop by scratching uselessly at the side of the litterbox. Like digging but pointless. The sound it makes is infuriating, but even if you pick her up and move her, at first opportunity she'll return to her futile "digging." Sometimes she even stops and looks at her handiwork like "what am I doing wrong?? :("

My one kitty will "dig" in front of water sources for a long time before drinking. It's cute!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm Canadian; tapping my credit card on the reader has become automatic behaviour for me. When I travel to the States, I always find it a little depressing that I'm looking specifically for an Apple logo to get a hint about whether my cards are going to give me trouble at checkout.

That or I'm in a rush and just pressing my card against a useless terminal and the cashier is staring at me like i'm an idiot :(

:canada::hf::canada:

My peeve is despite having tap for like, over a year now, I still reflexively put my wallet in my pocket, then immediately take it back out so I can put the card back. More of a FWP honestly.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't enjoy fireworks. It's been two weeks of fireworks for Halloween and there will be more for the November Remember blow up parliament thing.

They are dogshit unless it's a professional display and also it makes everyone's dog poo poo themselves. And people keep blowing their loving hands off with smuggled black market god-knows-whats-in-there rockets. They're stupid and poo poo and you are stupid and poo poo for doing it, neighbour. Especially the utter wankgoblin setting them off near my work in broad loving daylight.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

My one kitty will "dig" in front of water sources for a long time before drinking. It's cute!

My cat used to dig in front of his food bowl if she wasn't impressed with what she had to eat. And would then look at me with a "Seriously? Get me something better, motherfucker. :catstare: " kinda look.

Cats are assholes but I still love them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

I don't enjoy fireworks. It's been two weeks of fireworks for Halloween and there will be more for the November Remember blow up parliament thing.

They are dogshit unless it's a professional display and also it makes everyone's dog poo poo themselves. And people keep blowing their loving hands off with smuggled black market god-knows-whats-in-there rockets. They're stupid and poo poo and you are stupid and poo poo for doing it, neighbour. Especially the utter wankgoblin setting them off near my work in broad loving daylight.

I only like them if i'm setting them off and they're big. There has to be at least some risk of losing some fingats for it to give me any kind of rush. Honestly I'm more entertained by just seeing how big I can make a camp/bonfire. Not as loud but it lasts longer, and you can cook something in it when you're done loving around with it assuming you haven't injured yourself.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My cat does this too and I hate it. He's such a smart cat otherwise, why is he so stupid about his poop????

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I only like them if i'm setting them off and they're big. There has to be at least some risk of losing some fingats for it to give me any kind of rush. Honestly I'm more entertained by just seeing how big I can make a camp/bonfire. Not as loud but it lasts longer, and you can cook something in it when you're done loving around with it assuming you haven't injured yourself.

At least if you blow your hand off you have to pay for it, my tax money is going into sewing idiots fingers/faces/dicks back on because they like the boom boom sparkle toob and can't read instructions. Or they've blown up their child and their face needs put back together and they need a lifetime of therapy.

I also don't like bonfires but that's because in my part of the world they usually have the Irish flag, Kill All Taigs (me), effigies of Catholics who have killed themselves/ politicians on them and also cost the council £150,000 a year to clean up and sometimes set people's houses on fire when they fall over. Also twats throw bricks at the fire service when they come to put it out.

My internet isn't working and I am so very mad about it and everything else.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Blowing your hands off with fireworks is impressively stupid, because all you have to do it make sure it's not still in your hand THEN light it. Especially with rockets, I mean what the gently caress, they move away from you all on their own.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah but it's way more fun and cool looking to throw them.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate when you spend the night over someone's place and you wake up in the middle of the night bored out of your mind cause maybe you don't know how to work the tv or don't know the password for the computer or you don't have your phone on you, whatever. Everyone is asleep and you quietly lurk like a ghost waiting to get tired enough to try to sleep again. Bored bored bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Oh christ. I was totally the kid that always preferred people spend the night at my place for exactly this reason. I’d always ALWAYS wake up at like 5am and then just have to lie there shivering and staring at the ceiling for two hours. I mean, I guess probably nothing bad would’ve happened if I’d just gone down and fired up the nintendo but I knew it’d be rude.