Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Grey Goo is a RTS? I own it, but I thought it was a puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

credburn posted:

Yeah, it definitely is an RTS. Maybe you were confusing it with something similarly named? I dunno what that would be, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe you were confusing it with something similarly named? I dunno what that would be, though.

World of Goo, maybe

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

credburn posted:

Yeah. Heavily inspired by Command & Conquer.

I found the mission design extremely frustrating, but it has a story and three factions that all play pretty differently, so if you already have it you should definitely check it out.

You said you've played the classics, so I assume you've already played Homeworld and Ground Control, but if not you definitely should.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I could do with some thematic variety, I'm scrolling through my backlog at the moment and it's almost all sci-fi and historical games, has anyone got any tips for good PC games from the past year or so that are squarely in the "high fantasy" bracket? Ideally somewhere in the mid range in game size, rather than a sprawling hundred hour RPG that I'll be working on for weeks, bonus points if it doesn't cost £50 and take three days to download all 70gb while hogging my wifi and hard drive. Not too fussed about genre, I'll play almost anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Deformed Church posted:

I could do with some thematic variety, I'm scrolling through my backlog at the moment and it's almost all sci-fi and historical games, has anyone got any tips for good PC games from the past year or so that are squarely in the "high fantasy" bracket? Ideally somewhere in the mid range in game size, rather than a sprawling hundred hour RPG that I'll be working on for weeks, bonus points if it doesn't cost £50 and take three days to download all 70gb while hogging my wifi and hard drive. Not too fussed about genre, I'll play almost anything.

Battle Brothers Battle Brothers Battle Brothers!!!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd say Battle Brothers falls more in the "low fantasy" genre but it's also incredible and totally worth playing. There's a new expansion coming up next month too that will add more fantasy-ish content as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deformed Church posted:

If "In the last year" is flexible I recommend Age of Wonders 3.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I'm thirsty for some type of fantasy horror game after watching Castlevania Season 2. Any current gen stuff other than soulsborne or the Rondo/symphony re-release?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Dpulex posted:

I'm thirsty for some type of fantasy horror game after watching Castlevania Season 2. Any current gen stuff other than soulsborne or the Rondo/symphony re-release?

bloodstained curse of the moon seems like the obvious answer

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

credburn posted:

Hey dudes any good real time strategies out there with a story? I just got around to playing 8 Bit Armies and I really love it except there's no story and it's just a bunch of goofy poo poo. It plays well, and I imagine multiplayer must be fun, but it's not what I'm looking for. I've already played through Starcraft II and probably every real time strategy came predated it. I want to get into the latest Command and Conquer games but it's locked at 30 framed per second and I just can't goddamn endure that in a real time strategy. I don't know why. It makes me motion sick.

Also still seeking vehicular combat recommends :(

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is a worthy Homeworld prequel and a great RTS. I personally think it has the most compelling story of the series, but that's just my opinion.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is a worthy Homeworld prequel and a great RTS. I personally think it has the most compelling story of the series, but that's just my opinion.

I was extremely disappointed that it went down the same "everything is insane godtalkers and ancient prophecies that turn out to be 100% correct in every respect" route as Homeworld 2, but I also never finished it, so maybe it gets better by the end. The gameplay was alright.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

StrixNebulosa posted:

Battle brothers was always the answer and now with the new expansion it's the question and the answer

Battle brothers? Battle brothers!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Riatsala posted:

I thought Homeworld: Cataclysm (now known as Homeworld: Emergence because of legal reasons) was the most compelling one. It has a more sci-fi premise too.

Somtaaw 4 lyfe.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought Homeworld: Cataclysm (now known as Homeworld: Emergence because of legal reasons) was the most compelling one. It has a more sci-fi premise too.

Somtaaw 4 lyfe.

quote:

This is the Kiith Somtaaw Warship Kuun-Lan

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Really Pants posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

I appreciate your relentless quest to introduce as many people as possible to the best non-Japanese JRPG of all time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somtaaw 4 lyfe.

I should replay Cataclysm if I can find my disc. I replayed HW1 recently and it was a blast.

Cata was a lot more B-movie and had some questionable balance decisions, but also loads of fun.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Really Pants posted:

World of Goo, maybe

Wait, yeah, this is what I have.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Never played any of the multiplayer survival games(Rust, Ark, etc) before and been thinking of trying one, but I don't like playing alone. What's the best one currently that has a goon presence?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Nalesh posted:

Never played any of the multiplayer survival games(Rust, Ark, etc) before and been thinking of trying one, but I don't like playing alone. What's the best one currently that has a goon presence?

I dunno if I'd call it the best of the bunch but 7 Days To Die is in November's monthly Humble Bundle so you can likely get it very cheap or free. Plenty of goons play it but it works fine MP or SP.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
For the most part Storms of Zehir was a terrible campaign but it had its moments. The point at which I realized I had created a total economic monopoly, effectively replaced the local government as the ruling power in the region without their ever even realizing it, and had more money than God - not just as a lump sum, but in consistent, steady INCOME.... in a freakin' Dungeons and Dragons game... I kind of blew my own mind. I can't say I've ever had an experience like that in a game before, where I suddenly realized that the game I was playing at the end was completely different than the one I'd started at the beginning.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Okay fellas, I'm looking for MUSIC GAMES.

Specifically, I'm looking for games that make use of a DDR pad. I've played: Dance Dance Revolution, Stepmania and its variants, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Metronomicon. I've also played Dark Souls. Anything else out there?

Also looking for games that do neat things with the music I have. Been playing Riff Racer, which is neat, kinda, but also kind of a one-note gimmick. Er, no pun intended. And Beat Hazard, which was neat.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

credburn posted:

Also looking for games that do neat things with the music I have. Been playing Riff Racer, which is neat, kinda, but also kind of a one-note gimmick. Er, no pun intended. And Beat Hazard, which was neat.

Vib Ribbon

I got no suggestions for music games that make use of a DDR pad because there are so many much better music games out there that make use of different controllers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

credburn posted:

Specifically, I'm looking for games that make use of a DDR pad. I've played: Dance Dance Revolution, Stepmania and its variants, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Metronomicon. I've also played Dark Souls. Anything else out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhGMavLK6WI

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

credburn posted:

Before the Echo?

quote:

Audiosurf?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I played through Bushido Blade 2 on a DDR pad, that was pretty dope

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

We are a group of friends of 3+(1) which used to play some party games, very occasionally board games and some fighting games together or just shoot poo poo together. One of us has moved away a while ago. We're looking for a game to play together casually and shoot poo poo on Discord or equivalent at the same time.

Honestly a game with persistence wouldn't be a problem as long as it's still easy to play together. I could see Destiny 2 or similar "currently in-vogue triple A game" being a thing if we had the platforms for it, though I honestly have no idea how easily you can play together and if it makes any sense regardless of varying levels of progress.
Actual MMOs are a hard no though (I play ffxiv and lol the thought of playing it with friends in a social manner) Monster Hunter World could probably work with two or three of us, so that's already a soft lock-in.

I have a feeling that legit party games are not going to be a good fit online instead of something with a little more cooperation and persistence since everyone will sitting in front of their monitor/tv is a different experience from being physically in the same space.

Our problem is our platforms but I would definitely want to hear suggestions beyond our common platforms for the future.

- Everyone but I have a Switch
- One PS4
- Three moderately to decent powerful PCs capable of running triple A games decently and one aging laptop with a GPU

PC is obviously common but not powerful. Switch possibly in the future. If one is missing (be it me or the laptop guy, I don't mind).
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 4, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So, none of you all have the same platform?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Maybe not along the lines of what you're looking for, but Worms Armageddon is IMO a great shoot-the-poo poo/party game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dessel posted:

We are a group of friends of 3+(1) which used to play some party games, very occasionally board games and some fighting games together or just shoot poo poo together. One of us has moved away a while ago. We're looking for a game to play together casually and shoot poo poo on Discord or equivalent at the same time.

Honestly a game with persistence wouldn't be a problem as long as it's still easy to play together. I could see Destiny 2 or similar "currently in-vogue triple A game" being a thing if we had the platforms for it, though I honestly have no idea how easily you can play together and if it makes any sense regardless of varying levels of progress.
Actual MMOs are a hard no though (I play ffxiv and lol the thought of playing it with friends in a social manner) Monster Hunter World could probably work with two or three of us, so that's already a soft lock-in.

I have a feeling that legit party games are not going to be a good fit online instead of something with a little more cooperation and persistence since everyone will sitting in front of their monitor/tv is a different experience from being physically in the same space.

Our problem is our platforms but I would definitely want to hear suggestions beyond our common platforms for the future.

- One PS4
- Three moderately to decent powerful PCs capable of running triple A games decently and one aging laptop with a GPU

PC is obviously common but not powerful. Switch possibly in the future. If one is missing (be it me or the laptop guy, I don't mind).
|
v

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dessel posted:

- One PS4

|
v

Might just want to get a switch if your group already has that many of them. If some of your friend group are still local it's a good platform for hanging out with together because of handheld/stand mode.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dessel posted:

- One PS4

|
v
Don't Starve Together will run on a potato and is on a permanent 2 for 1 deal. Tabletop Simulator if you want to do silly board games far away and has a permanent 4 for less-than-3 deal. Project Zomboid also has a 4 for 3 pack, but get the worst laptop to test the demo before playing.

e: Signs of Life is good and goon made, and is potato-adjacent.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 4, 2018

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Dessel posted:

- One PS4

|
v

Destiny 2 is currently being given away free on Battle.net, just need to claim before the 18th, but I think that's PC only.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Streets of Rogue is a fantastic coop game and I don't think it needs high specs. Propably the most fun I have had playing with friends.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there's always fortnite

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009
This might not be the best place to ask, but here goes: about 20-25 years ago I played this air combat dogfighting game in an arcade. The player took turns where first they'd try to shoot down the AI plane and then try to evade the enemy fire. If I remember correctly, the objective was to win against more and more advanced planes. The title screen was a demo of a prop plane flying around a city and under/around a bridge, occasionally shooting it's machine guns.

I have fond memories wasting many coins on this and would be eternally grateful for any goon who remembers the name.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not Wing War, is it?

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009

Really Pants posted:

It's not Wing War, is it?

Holy mother of a monkey's rear end, it is. Thank you good sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Played through the free levels of Diablo 3 and got kind of hooked.

Wondering if it’s worth dropping the 20-30 bucks for the base game + expansion or if there’s a similar competitor that does the same thing for cheaper.