Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm going to activate my stand power and make people like part 6 anime whether they want to or not come hell or high water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think a lot of people are gonna come round on part 5 thanks to the anime. It's rarely anyone's favourite part right now, but I can see that changing because the fights in it are ridiculously good. Stuff like White Album, Grateful Dead/Beach Boy etc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Patware posted:

except for joseph (unless you count that DIO had to die for that)

which, well, why wouldn't you i guess

i've defeated myself

Joseph is essentially an outlier, the exception to the rule of "the dead don't come back" and even then the reason for Joseph's return was pretty much some grade-a bullshit (not that I'm unhappy with Joseph surviving, I'm glad he did) since it was all like "hey this fight only took 5 minutes, Joseph's body was preserved and mummified from the exsanguination, let's just pump his heart while we pump his blood from DIO's corpse back into him even though we saw his spirit fly away and"

Joseph just breaks the rules, which I guess is appropriate since even Part 2 was all about using Joseph as this trickster who just outright broke the rules of whatever you were expecting from a fight. He just doesn't care, he's a looney tunes character, just pump the blood back into him and he'll be fine, probably even better than before because DIO blood.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like that one post that basically explained Joseph coming back as him trying to get away from Johnathan becuase Johnathan is extremly lame.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Joseph came back because it was the most epic prank of all time, and that's that on that. :colbert:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Momomo posted:

Any time someone says part 6 is bad I wonder what planet they're from

Speaking of planets, I love how Araki obviously really got into space stuff when he made part 6. I'm just imagining him taking a tour at the Kennedy Space Center, and every ten minutes or so he's like "oh poo poo, that's awesome, I'm gonna make a stand based on that!" and he starts furiously scribbling in a notebook.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"Don't you think it's awfully convienient those coordinates are so close to Kennedy Space Center, Araki?"

"Shut up, space is cool."

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
"Ok, but if the inside air lost pressure from the lack of gravity, wouldn't that just make the outside air come in even more?"

"Check it out, Weather is making these awesome space suits!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I think a lot of people are gonna come round on part 5 thanks to the anime. It's rarely anyone's favourite part right now, but I can see that changing because the fights in it are ridiculously good. Stuff like White Album, Grateful Dead/Beach Boy etc.

I'm really loving it so far. It seemed so antiseptic before but the anime has me turnt up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DamnGlitch posted:

It seemed so antiseptic before

the jellyfish makes it antiseptic

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I somehow completely forgot about the jellyfish. For some reason I remembered it as Giorno simply downing the piss like a champ to assert his dominance.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It turned back into his tooth so I guess he absorbed it back into his balls somehow. So you’re not wrong.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
part 7's anime won't be divisive at least

neither will part 8's because part 8 sucks lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It turned back into his tooth so I guess he absorbed it back into his balls somehow. So you’re not wrong.

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/735887703187689474

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A lot of Japan liked 5, and I think the big difference is translation, as has been often stated. Not many people *really* went back and read the new translation in comparison, so all they remember in 5 are the fights themselves, MISTA being yelled, and not knowing what the hell is going at the end (with no character personalities). This fixes all of the above.

Another thing that makes this good is Stand balance. The gang has one OP Stand, one weirdly can use in weird ways to do weird stuff Stand, two people that can shoot at you, a non combat time stand, and a broken Stand that leaves the story after being used once. This is balanced against Stands that are mostly long distance or oddly untouchable that everyone has to combine their different specialties to defeat, as opposed to more ISO fights like in 3 and 4.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel bad for Abbacchio cause man the dude died and left behind a way for the gang to follow Diavolo and then immediately afterwards the team gets contacted by Polnareff because he noticed they're looking into this Diavolo guy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok so let me start off by defining 3 important things that I notice come up time and time again within Jojo

We have Fate, we have Time, and we have Life.

Life is how much a person is actually alive. This is their soul, their life force, and the major sources of combat throughout the series, be it stand powers, spin, or ripple, all have some major tie back to life. Recall that the ripple is a sun-powered martial art designed around defeating the undead by healing them back to a death state. It is the idea that the body naturally stores the life-giving energy of the sun and through special breathing you can then tap into that energy and allow yourself to heal wounds, to grow plants, to transfer life energy and power to another person, even the ability to see into the future and see what one's own fate will be. Also note that spin is a method of medicinal healing as well as a form of execution, the ultimate form of which is through rapid aging. In other words, the ultimate form of execution through spin is to cause someone to rapidly die of natural causes. Stands, meanwhile, are direct representations of a person's soul, with stands existing as a less healing-adjacent power. Stands have shown that they are more than capable of aiding in health, be it Jotaro using his stand to pump hearts in order to help revive Joseph, Josuke using Crazy Diamond to fix things, Giorno Giovanna's Gold Experience being capable of granting life to inanimate objects, or Jolyne's use of her stand as a means of stitching herself back together. There are plenty of other examples of stands that can perform some manner of healing, but my point is less that stands have been used to heal as much as my point is that stands, ripple, and spin are all directly connected to life in some fashion, with spin and ripple representing a particular kind of physical action that a person can perform to tap into that life energy while stands are actual representations of the soul and, through that connection, are influenced by and transfer the damage taken to their user (except in the cases where they don't, but those have always been treated as outlier cases).

Time is time. Time keeps on moving. A year goes by really quickly and honestly I could just link the picture of the zybourne clock timeline and it'd sum up this section pretty well but the thing that everyone needs to realize is that there is the Actual Timeline and the Experienced Timeline. To use Groundhog Day as a reference, the Actual Timeline is the time that we experience, the film itself, its runtime, where we are only shown what is happening. The Experienced Timeline however is the knowledge that we have only seen a portion of the time that the main character spent in a time loop. We are given several hints showing just how long he has been stuck in this loop, but we the audience thankfully do not need to sit through decades of days of Bill Murray learning to play an instrument and learning entire languages.

The last thing to define is Fate. Fate is a far more fluid and semi-controllable force than Time, but Fate is actually more powerful. The best way to think of Fate is to imagine a video. The video will always be running forward in time and even if you choose to speed the video up, rewind the video, loop a portion of the video, or pause the video, that video will always have a definitive start point and end point. Fate is everything from that start point to that end point. No matter what actions you take once the video starts, there will eventually be an ending point to that video.

Now I don't want to delve into any specific part just yet because I want to leave things at just discussing the above 3 components that are integral to Araki's work. Within Jojo, there exists Life in the form of its cast and their abilities and their struggles to continue to live in some fashion, there exists Time as the amount of time that passes within the manga/anime itself, and then there is Fate which isn't something we can always know and is generally only revealed to the audience as a stinger of some kind. Fate determines how long a life will last, but that length can be extended or shortened and Fate does not care since Fate knows it will all work out in the end so Fate's chill like that, whereas Time is far more restrictive and short having some kind of power that manipulates Time, Time is going to just keep marching forward.

What I'm trying to get at here is that within all 8 parts of Jojo so far, there has been Time (the adventure itself), there has been Life (The people who are participating in the adventure), and Fate (the events that happen along the way).

Lives may be snuffed out, Time may stop, but Fate will always march on.

The reason I needed to define those 3 points is because they are very important in explaining my opinion that each part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure touches upon the idea that no matter how powerful you are, you cannot bring the dead back to life without there being some kind of major, likely negative change.

I'll discuss more next time when I'm not about to pass out from exhaustion. For the next post, if I do one, I would like to present how Phantom Blood as a story plays with the ideas of fate to lay the groundwork for future parts.

It's all made up and the points dont matter

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

part 7's anime won't be divisive at least

neither will part 8's because part 8 sucks lol

i like part 8 but man it is seriously spinning it's wheels

it'll probably be better once i can read it all at once

e: part 7 is objectively the best but part 4 is my favorite which i guess directly contradicts my complaint about part 8 spinning it's wheels, but uh shut up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 4, 2018

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Night Goat posted:

Also is Sprite not a thing in some countries or did a translator just not know what the hell it was?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I see someone has never heard of Bepis.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was a hella interesting opinion/theory/post about Araki's work FirstAidKite, and I sorta wish that you can further discuss it. :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Here's a continuation of that post then:

at the point where I said I needed to stop or I'd pass out from exhaustion, I ended up passing out from exhaustion and when I woke up the post just had a bunch of ";"s and "w"s added to the end. Make of that what you will

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rest is important, too! :ohdear:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'll sleep when I'm dead

There should be more sleep stands. There's what, Death 13 and that's it? I think White Snake did some stuff where it could put you to sleep too.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel bad for Abbacchio cause man the dude died and left behind a way for the gang to follow Diavolo and then immediately afterwards the team gets contacted by Polnareff because he noticed they're looking into this Diavolo guy

The only reason Polnareff notices the Gang Stars is because he notices someone trying to look up Diavolo's fingerprints, and they only have those prints because Abbacchio made them with his Moody Blues, so it's like he contributed.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Should go on his grave stone.

Here lies Polnareff
He contributed

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One thing I noticed is that “gravity” is often used to refer to an all-encompassing force that has to do with fate, the attraction between stand users, and actual regular-rear end gravity. It’s also a more powerful force than both time and the planes of reality.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I'll sleep when I'm dead

There should be more sleep stands. There's what, Death 13 and that's it? I think White Snake did some stuff where it could put you to sleep too.

Chariot Requiem puts people to sleep, but it also does like 4 other things at the same time so i'm not sure it counts

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Yinlock posted:

Chariot Requiem puts people to sleep, but it also does like 4 other things at the same time so i'm not sure it counts

God I can't imagine how people are gonna react to that part in the anime. So much crazy poo poo goes on that seems out of nowhere. I guess if you look at it from the perspective of how powerful and dangerous the arrow can be when used the wrong way/when you are not ready for it, it seems less like Araki just pulling random crap from his rear end to raise the stakes?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're gonna give out quizzes asking anime-only people to describe what King Crimson, Silver Chariot Requiem, and Gold Experience Requiem actually do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

One thing I noticed is that “gravity” is often used to refer to an all-encompassing force that has to do with fate, the attraction between stand users, and actual regular-rear end gravity. It’s also a more powerful force than both time and the planes of reality.

Yeah, Gravity as a force that pulls people together acts almost like a subset of Fate.

To describe it in terms of a movie, Fate would me the fact that there is a clear start and end of a film and if you see images on the back of the dvd case, then chances are you'll see those images (or at least ones very similar) shown up within the movie proper. This is Fate. Fate is semi-predetermined, you may be able to divine the answers but not the context and it is through that context that a person has some means of controlling their own fate.

Then you have Gravity which is just this natural force that pulls all of the necessary things together in order to accomplish the actions that have been predetermined by Fate.

Fate determined that Jotaro was always going to die through having his face split in half by some catastrophic explosion-like force, but Gravity is what continued to put him into situations that would allow for Jotaro to reach that end state eventually. Gravity is what ultimately brought together all of the correct people in order to kill Pucci, with Pucci incorrectly believing that he had control over Fate since he existed as an outsider from the current world, but what he neglected to factor in was the fact that he was always a slave of Fate, just as everyone else was, and that Fate is not a man-made measurement of something like Time is but is, in essence, its own existing thing that starts when you open the book and ends when you close it. Regardless of how things get changed within the world itself, Fate is what ultimately controls everything and guides the story. Fate, in that way, is Araki himself, and any time someone brings up Fate or its second-in-command Gravity, you can easily sub those out with Araki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

We're gonna give out quizzes asking anime-only people to describe what King Crimson, Silver Chariot Requiem, and Gold Experience Requiem actually do.

And they're gonna win because the sub translation isn't going to have several contradictory 5 paragraph info dumps about what they think it can do.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
King Crimson will probably be a million times easier to get in motion as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
(Heavy HxH spoilers about the latest arc; DO NOT READ if you plan to follow that/have yet to catch up from where the 2011 anime left) Also Togashi basically explained it with nen in one of the latest chapters of Hunter x Hunter.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Fate determined that Jotaro was always going to die through having his face split in half by some catastrophic explosion-like force, but Gravity is what continued to put him into situations that would allow for Jotaro to reach that end state eventually. Gravity is what ultimately brought together all of the correct people in order to kill Pucci, with Pucci incorrectly believing that he had control over Fate since he existed as an outsider from the current world, but what he neglected to factor in was the fact that he was always a slave of Fate, just as everyone else was, and that Fate is not a man-made measurement of something like Time is but is, in essence, its own existing thing that starts when you open the book and ends when you close it. Regardless of how things get changed within the world itself, Fate is what ultimately controls everything and guides the story. Fate, in that way, is Araki himself, and any time someone brings up Fate or its second-in-command Gravity, you can easily sub those out with Araki.

eh i like pucci being more or less outside of fate just for the poetic justice of emporio tricking him into loving himself over

also while the end result of Fate may be the same there seems to be a lot of wriggle room as to the details

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Momomo posted:

King Crimson will probably be a million times easier to get in motion as well.

Likewise, Silver Chariot Requiem will be easier to follow with voice acting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yinlock posted:

also while the end result of Fate may be the same there seems to be a lot of wriggle room as to the details

Exactly. This is seen very clearly with the fight between Doppio and Risotto Nero where Doppio can see exactly what will happen in the future but he needs to find a way of interpreting it that doesn't involve him losing his own leg.

Fate moves at its own pace and is a very pliable force. It will bend and shift in shape as needed to make things work. The problem with people like Pucci is that they get the idea that they can control Fate when, in actuality, Fate is still very much something they have to abide by and while others in the new universe had to abide by their predetermined fate far more strictly than Pucci, his mistake of thinking he existed outside of Fate caused him to become careless and influence Emporio's Fate by accidentally punching Weather's stand disc into him, thus giving Emporio some degree of influence over Fate as well since what Pucci did is kind of like derailing a train.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Exactly. This is seen very clearly with the fight between Doppio and Risotto Nero where Doppio can see exactly what will happen in the future but he needs to find a way of interpreting it that doesn't involve him losing his own leg.

Fate moves at its own pace and is a very pliable force. It will bend and shift in shape as needed to make things work. The problem with people like Pucci is that they get the idea that they can control Fate when, in actuality, Fate is still very much something they have to abide by and while others in the new universe had to abide by their predetermined fate far more strictly than Pucci, his mistake of thinking he existed outside of Fate caused him to become careless and influence Emporio's Fate by accidentally punching Weather's stand disc into him, thus giving Emporio some degree of influence over Fate as well since what Pucci did is kind of like derailing a train.

That is my favourite detail when it comes to Pucci. A lot of his problems wouldn't have gotten so out of control had he not kept trying to gently caress with fate and just let things be. By becoming the one being who was no longer affected by fate, and in turn could affect the fate of others, he continues to make decisions that bite him in the rear end.

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 6, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Araki is one of the few fiction writers that understands prophecy and causality, and that the way to "beat" it is to find alternative methods to fulfill it as opposed to fighting it. David Xanatos gets it as well with his "make myself rich" plan as well, I guess. But most fiction has people foghting fate too hard to the point of screwing themselves. It goes back to Greek mythology, yeah, but it gets annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Likewise, Silver Chariot Requiem will be easier to follow with voice acting.

I hope they keep the bodies' voice actors the same, and they do impressions of the swapped souls'.