Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Scrounging up scraps of iron from merchants and invaders is a surprisingly fun game experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can also generate an arbitrary amount of any metal bar (as long as you have enough fuel) by repeatedly crafting and smelting one of the many objects that generate more metal when smelted than they cost to make.

Doesn't work for adamantine but then again, it's cheaty enough as it is. :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Doesn't work for adamantine but then again, it's cheaty enough as it is. :v:

There's plenty of ways to duplicate the Fun Bars, it's just noticeably more difficult/involved to set up, with one exception that works and is easy but is just rather slow.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I've got a stupid problem: The game says I don't have a broker with the Appraise skill, but I do. Like, I have on the Noble screen set my expedition leader, and various other goobers, as the Broker, but the assets screen still says I need a broker who can appraise, the Depot says I don't have a broker, and the outpost liaison left frustrated because I didn't have a broker. Where should I look to debug this?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Post your Nobles screen.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Yes, some screenshots would be nice.

And also the broker position from my entities_default. I think this might be the real issue, since I did some modding to activate elven and human trade liaisons.

quote:

[POSITION:BROKER]
[NAME:broker:brokers]
[SITE]
[REQUIRES_MARKET]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS]
[APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
[APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR]
[PRECEDENCE:170]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:5:0:0]
[DUTY_BOUND]

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I think you have to have a [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] tag in there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, that's the right call - that responsibility token's for intra-civ contract brokers (liaisons).

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Oh look, The One that is Toad just had a talk on procedurally generated villiany posted on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7TtPX5uhg.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just had a ghost dwarf appear despite that dwarf having been properly buried in a coffin for like two years now. Is a coffin not enough, do I also need to slab every single dwarf that dies?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you tried ignoring the ghost?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Siljmonster posted:

Have you tried ignoring the ghost?

Baby take my hand, don't fear the reaper...

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Gnoman posted:

I think you have to have a [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] tag in there.

Forgot to respond to this earlier, but this solved the problem, thanks.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Drone posted:

I just had a ghost dwarf appear despite that dwarf having been properly buried in a coffin for like two years now. Is a coffin not enough, do I also need to slab every single dwarf that dies?

Make sure the corpse is actually in the coffin, not just that the coffin is assigned to his corpse. Or maybe the coffin was destroyed by a tantrum or something.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Check with T. Are bones in that there coffin?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zesty posted:

Check with T. Are bones in that there coffin?

That seems to have been it, there's no bones in that box!

I forget how that dwarf died... maybe the corpse was swept away by drowning in the river. Ah well, I've made a slab and we're good now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

This week involved a lot of bug-fixing from last week, so there's not as much concrete progress to report. For instance, a human trading company called the Present Hall was wildly successful trading various leathers and bones for crafting, and eventually had enough clout to open a branch warehouse inside a dwarf fortress for the first time. Can't resist that draltha leather. This turned out to be a strategic error, as two short years later, a forgotten beast obliterated the fortress, the warehouse, and killed everyone inside. So, what's the correct response? Close the destroyed branch? No, no, you stimulate the (non-existent) economy by hiring local. Forgotten beast, you're the new (ruined) warehouse administrator, congratulations! Those sorts of fixes were straightforward, but more time was burned with screwed-up resource lists, naming problems and some stability issues.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We've all worked under that manager

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

you forgot the rest of it

Toady posted:

After muddling through that, we were going to move to some basic religious organization and link formation, as mentioned last time, but we instead decided to pause and nail down the boundaries for this pre-villain spree and reassess the proper order of implementation. The plan now is to do the intermediate market-town/castle/fort nobles for humans first (this has been in the cards to secure some solid villain hideouts/strongholds), get those integrated with the new court/household positions, consider a few higher households when enough territory has accrued (similar to the dwarf county/duchy system, with the new subordinate positions), and handle some basic movement and link formation there. Respect the large market towns a bit with some civilian bureaucracy and industry representation; it's not the scheduled return of the guilds, as that requires certain code infrastructure, but a counterbalance to now-rampant nobles feels necessary. Then religion. Then we'll be ready for the simple non-villainous crimes and corruption that live on top of these systems and are also important for blackmail etc.

So. Once that's done, we should have more than enough material for villains to feel robust in their scheming. Don't let me say otherwise, he he he. In some sense, we've been a bit silly with the additions, as usual, but this is fine. The demands of a proper-feeling feature lead us on such journeys from time to time.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I'm trying to get back into DF after not playing it for a while, but when I try to run Dwarf Therapist, I get a bunch of errors saying VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll aren't found. Anybody else have this issue, and how do I fix it? Or is there a better tool for managing labours and whatnot? The game is (or used to be, anyway) basically unplayable with just the onboard labour management.

I tried poking around on the DF forums but the gist of what I got was there's two basic steps: 1. Learn how to code, and then 2. Make it work by yourself. Somebody help!

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 25, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

I'm trying to get back into DF after not playing it for a while, but when I try to run Dwarf Therapist, I get a bunch of errors saying VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll aren't found. Anybody else have this issue, and how do I fix it? Or is there a better tool for managing labours and whatnot? The game is (or used to be, anyway) basically unplayable with just the onboard labour management.

Install the Visual C++ runtime from Microsoft.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

TOOT BOOT posted:

Install the Visual C++ runtime from Microsoft.

drat, you're quick. That did it, thanks!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I don't know what the general consensus on the current version of DF is, but -man- I don't remember the world outside of your fort really being so alive before the whole mission thing.

So I've got a big-rear end fort going on (185 citizens) one tile south of a large Human town. Our civs are best buds and their traders bring a ton of good poo poo every year. On the opposite side of the town I sent a party to conquer a little Goblin hamlet of like 10 dudes, otherwise our general vicinity has seemed pretty free of enemy sites.

Then one day I decide I want to look for some new cites in the area to send an expedition to in order to grow my holdings. The first thing I notice? The cool-rear end humans are gone, and have been replaced with a Goblin city over 2,000 strong. What the actual poo poo happened, I wonder, as I export a new Legends file. Turns out the Goblins staged an invasion of the human city on a scale that I didn't even realize was possible in this game:

The Human city, numbering only 387, stood no chance and were slaughtered. Funny enough, both the goblin attackers and human defenders were led... by exiled Dwarfs.

Bosa Hatetires, the leader of the mindbogglingly huge Goblin assault force, was 13 loving years old. With an ambition to rule the world, he began commanding Goblin armies as soon as he became an adult, launching 13 black crusades against Dwarf and Human alike (during which he killed... 13 people by his own hands) before finally being struck down by a mysterious, nameless dwarf. I get a feeling the world dodged a bullet on this dwarven antichrist (antiarmok?)

Edit: oh poo poo I just saw in the legends file that that human city had a tavern in it called "The Brunch of Lunch" and now I just HAVE to figure out how to liberate this place.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 2, 2018

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like everything about that. You found Dwarven Alexander the Great!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I recently finally bit the bullet and got into this game 8 years after I first tried to play it and was like "wait how do I embark, how do I dig".

It's been relentlessly addicting but I do have a question, is it typical for people to scrap an entire world and start over? I almost did that after the percieved failure of my third fortress, Citypast.

The first, Wallarmors, I retired after learning the hard way that floor collapses tend to go through two levels, not one (I was trying to make a well system, long story), and flooded out the bottom of my fortress, sealing me off from mining operations, and costing me several lives in the attempt to channel it out elsewhere. I figured it was fine to retire it and start again because I was still learning. So I built another fortress, Torridwhips. This one didn't last long either, retiring it after it was plagued by a Werelizard attack that created more Werelizards, and then created more werelizards, and so on and so forth. Probably could've weathered it (I had weathered a similar incident at Wallarmors), decided not to.

So, Citypast. Things were going ok for a while. Then my broker snapped and flipped over the statue of his patron diety (The Earthen Mountain) and was cursed into being a vampire. He then promptly ran into the mayor's office and violently beat someone up on the mayor's desk, killing them (and others). As an aside, he at least got an awesome but somewhat contradictory name out of it:

Anyway soon after this happened I had my first encounter with a Forgotten Beast, a giant feathered Salamander by the name of Gened Frightfulmine, The Sadness of Fungus. Spitting and throwing fire he blazed his way through my fortress, eventually reaching the upper levels where he started setting fire to workshops. Nobody could even slow him down. and unfortunately Rith Mansionwave decided it would be a better idea to have a nervous breakdown while watching Gened murder most of the civilian populace who I hadn't managed to evacuate, instead of using his vampire strength to punch a hole through someone who deserved it. Eventually through a combination of being shot several times with arrows and hacked at by people foolish enough to get close, Gened burned himself to death with his own fire immolating his innards and burning him from the inside out. :black101:

According to the Legend export he killed 38 people. This is a lie. My fortress had about 100 people at the time. All but 15 or so survived. I'm going to guess most of them burned to death (given there were very few actual bodies left, which has led to periodic hauntings). Looking at the borderline apocalypse I had endured I decided to retire the fortress and even retire the world. But no sooner had I built a new world then I decided against it, went back into The Cyclopean Realm (the name of my world) and unretired Citypast. Apparently those two weeks of me not being there were really eventful.

First, an unknown civilization infiltrated the fortress and stole some of my stuff, including an artifact (well, a book).

Then another unknown civilization attacked Citypast, led by a Dwarf, Irall Shankbronze. However this wasn't a specific attack on Citypast, but it was an attack on The Silvery Merchants (my fort's civilization), so while the defense was led by my militia commander (or at least, whoever picked up the job after the bulk of the militia died in a fire), there was plenty of forces elsewhere to help. We won, with Rith Mansionwave killing the leader of the attack.

And then about this time I came back, slowly rebuilt poo poo, and even got that stolen book back somehow (probably when Cerol, who stole, it visited the fort and petitioned for residency, I poo poo you not).

(also he apparently visited Wallarmors so it's good to know it still is somehow functioning 3 years later)

Apparently he also stored something while doing a second raid earlier, so, that's...bizarre

(apparently The Last Stroke, an artifiact shield, is currently in possession of a giant kea, but the history stops at Cerol storing it in Citypast).

So, basically I went from a massive failure to now my most successful fort and I'm pretty happy about that, considering I almost completely gave up on the world itself. Currently working on building some outside fortifications to deal with annoying giant bird attacks, digging deeper to find magma, and getting ready to send out expeditionary forces on raids against some goblins that are at war with my civilization.

Really glad that DFHack can let you export legends without retiring fortresses because I never would've learned about that battle that took place while I was gone.

EDIT: Cerol Coppertaken the Mired Phase of Doors, has led an interesting life

Somehow he single-handedly led an attack on an army 83 strong, killed 7 of them, and lived to tell the tale. In addition to all of his thievery treasure hunting.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 4, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I think a lot of people play one fort and then wait for a new version and regenerate the world, which I've always thought was a bit of a waste - but then, the world hasn't always been this reactive and connected. I think the current version is the first time things have started to come together to allow that sort of player-influenced narrative web. It's always been the end goal to allow that sort of thing and it's only going to get better from here.

It's great to read this stuff, please report back further on your ongoing efforts!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Angry_Ed posted:

is it typical for people to scrap an entire world and start over?

Throw that world back into the furnace to be reforged.

Don't worry. The dwarves don't mind. If Toady wanted them sentient, he would implement it over the course of an afternoon and then go back to 6 months of bugfixing cats mysteriously dying of alcohol poisoning. It is his way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Forts continuing after you retire (instead of being abandoned) allows for all sort of neat stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This may interest some of you.

https://twitter.com/ZamboAce/status/1058447946377773057

https://twitter.com/ZamboAce/status/1058448887709622273

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for the post sharing your forts. I play DF every few years for a couple days while failing at easy stuff but reading about all the random poo poo that happens to other people never gets old. :allears:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I love playing multiple forts on same world- you get a shitton of your old dwarwes as migrants So getting a high master mason and weaponsmith on your first migrant wave is fun.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Has reviving a dead civ become any easier in current versions?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is it actually possible to reclaim a dead fort now without it being a horrific buggy mess?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

Is it actually possible to reclaim a dead fort now without it being a horrific buggy mess?

If you're talking about retired forts, I did it and things seem to be just fine. Abandoned forts I have no idea.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I usually start over with a new world for every fort. I also will gen a world, decide I can't find an embark or the history sucks or no dieties that are cool or etc (I'm kinda picky as hell) and regen over and over. I only gen to about 100-150 years though.

How do I get hillocks to be founded near me? Is that a requirement for duchy now?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Hillocks generate naturally as dwarfpop goes up. If your civ is small they dont. easiest way to get a fief now is to simply kit out 1-3 squads, look for the smallest goblin town in world and send the squads to demand their surrender.

This is all done in the C menu. Note of warning- once they take over the goblin village they remain there as settlers. You can Send a messenger to Ask then to reinmigrate to your Fort but they will return with no gear so dont kit them with steel and adamantite.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ahh my civ has a population of around 700-800 so that's probably it. Conquering other sites it is.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has been asked about before but 490+ pages is a lot to sift through, but what can I do about my dwarves refusing to haul stuff out of the trade depot? I've slowly built up a pile of stuff that I've been trading/traded for just sitting there, not being moved back into the stockpiles. Is my only option to dismantle the depot and rebuild it?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 6, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are the goods forbidden?

Do you have empty stockpiles for the goods?

Are your hauling dwarves busy elsewhere?

Did you actually make the trade?

Do dwarves not haul back when a broker is present? It’s been a little while since I’ve played.

Ask any question anytime. It’s no worries at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Assuming no merchants are present, try doing a (d)esignated forbid and reclaim. This can clear up "stuck" tasks.