Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
After thinking about the game for quite some time, and replaying it while "killing" everyone to see the differences, gotta say, I really didn't think I'd enjoy a "sequel" to Undertale as much as I did. Definitely agree with people on many things, so I also hope that the ending is just a pie joke. It would be stupid, sure, but as many, I don't really care about supernatural characters of Undertale. Gaster was interesting because he wasn't technically in the game, but Chara, if we take them as a character, is basically something out of a mediocre creepypasta. If we didn't see the knife, I would've liked the ending much better, since Kris taking out the soul, is quite interesting. With the knife being there, it's hard not to think about Kris being a murderer. So yeah, hope it's either the pie, or a threat to the player, nothing more. Hope Toby knows what he's doing.
Also I didn't really get the Twin Peaks vibes about things being "wrong". Sure, it's obvious that characters do different things, but some said they felt meaner, and that I don't agree with that. I think there's something to it, but I doubt it's some weird Black Lodge-type thing. The world still seems pretty cute, even if it's not without issues. But who knows. We've only seen the beginning, after all.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ymgve posted:

Before reading other people's experience with the game, I kinda hoped that "Kris" just meant I got some other player's character, and there were someone else now walking around with the character I created. Though I guess the fact that he wasn't called xXxluv4sansxXx should have been a hint.

Well to be fair, they kind of did the same thing in the first game as well (the protagonist was named Frisk from the start even if you don't actually learn that until the very end, all you were doing was naming the first fallen human).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Okay, THE WORLD REVOLVING is such an earworm that I can't get it out of my head and it's driving me insane, help

You agreed to accept everything that happens.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

I thought monster was a ghost and therefore is a special monster?

There's a little bunny child peeking out of the window above the door. That's who's talking.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Fangz posted:

This is pretty much what I am inclined towards also. And I think it supports a common thing which is that while in depression, your depressed self feels 'real', whereas being not depressed, and any positive interaction you might have feels 'fake'. Hence, the idea of Kris externalising their Soul as a negative thing that is controlling them.

Also, to hopefully not be hypocritical here, I will point out the thing about the pianos in the hospital that Kris is unable to play as he once was, does actually mirror Toby's own experiences with RSI. Thinking about that made that scene 100x as sad for me :(

Nah, I don't think you're being a hypocrite. I think there's a difference between stuff known about a creator's experiences or stated thoughts and digging into speculation (often cruelly) about their personal life, and you're on the right side of it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lunatic Sledge posted:

between the doormouse, the card suit people, and the helpful but kind of creepy cat talking about people going mad the game's ... gently skimming some Alice in Wonderland stuff without plunging shamelessly face first into it like most stuff would

The game does have a lot of parallels to Alice in Wonderland, but the doormouse thing is fake.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

https://twitter.com/StridentSong/status/1057906779655294976

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Vookatos posted:

Also I didn't really get the Twin Peaks vibes about things being "wrong". Sure, it's obvious that characters do different things, but some said they felt meaner, and that I don't agree with that. I think there's something to it, but I doubt it's some weird Black Lodge-type thing. The world still seems pretty cute, even if it's not without issues. But who knows. We've only seen the beginning, after all.

It didn’t feel ”meaner” just more mundane with a lot of kinda painfully relatable everyday issues like a parent with cancer and goatdad being unable to make rent. It has whimsy but also the kind of realism that would’ve felt out of place in Undertale

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

McFrugal posted:

The game does have a lot of parallels to Alice in Wonderland, but the doormouse thing is fake.

All the items are real at least, aside from the Mean Ax, though apparently not in the game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fangz posted:

Also, to hopefully not be hypocritical here, I will point out the thing about the pianos in the hospital that Kris is unable to play as he once was, does actually mirror Toby's own experiences with RSI. Thinking about that made that scene 100x as sad for me :(

Aw geez. That's rough.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The piano is a callback to the time Michael Bowman impersonated toby on youtube, and it was so convincing Toby's mom thought it was him. :colbert:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 4, 2018

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The Bee posted:

I seriously like your theory! If this game really does end up a rather Persona-esque spin on Undertale, with you entering Dark Worlds to help other portrait characters like Noelle with their problems, it'd be an interesting spin to have the last character you help be yourself.

I honestly hope that's how the game plays out.

I really like the idea of each chapter having a different monster hero with their own issues that need resolving.
Don't get me wrong, Susie was rad as hell and I loved her interactions, but she basically had a complete character arc, unlike Kris and Ralsei who have been setup for major reveals much later.

Also, having a whole new character means new interactions, new portraits and animations, and most importantly, new songs.

Hell, I can actually see how the end of chapter 1 would lead into chapter 2, if this is Kris's body asserting control and can totally see them harming someone in order to stop Kris's soul from trying to reclaim their body, kind of a "Pull a stunt like that again and I'll kill someone you love"

And chapter 1 has setup only four people the Kris is close with, their parents, their brother and Noelle, being the only student that seems to actually like Kris.

And the game bent over backwards to show just how vulnerable Noelle is right now, so I can see you have to try and stop her from being hurt, only to end up back in the dark world with her.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pulsarcat posted:

I honestly hope that's how the game plays out.

I really like the idea of each chapter having a different monster hero with their own issues that need resolving.
Don't get me wrong, Susie was rad as hell and I loved her interactions, but she basically had a complete character arc, unlike Kris and Ralsei who have been setup for major reveals much later.

Also, having a whole new character means new interactions, new portraits and animations, and most importantly, new songs.

Hell, I can actually see how the end of chapter 1 would lead into chapter 2, if this is Kris's body asserting control and can totally see them harming someone in order to stop Kris's soul from trying to reclaim their body, kind of a "Pull a stunt like that again and I'll kill someone you love"

And chapter 1 has setup only four people the Kris is close with, their parents, their brother and Noelle, being the only student that seems to actually like Kris.

And the game bent over backwards to show just how vulnerable Noelle is right now, so I can see you have to try and stop her from being hurt, only to end up back in the dark world with her.

Plus the incidental party dialogue is amazing and it would probably be easier to keep it fresh if you rotate party members.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope when you return to the Dark World Ralsei is rude now.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nina posted:

It didn’t feel ”meaner” just more mundane with a lot of kinda painfully relatable everyday issues like a parent with cancer and goatdad being unable to make rent. It has whimsy but also the kind of realism that would’ve felt out of place in Undertale
It's funny that in Undertale, your reward for the pacifist ending is essentially this small-town Americana of domestic bliss that you think you're starting out with in Deltarune, but when you win and emerge back into the light...this world kind of sucks. It's not a hell hole or any such thing, but it's the stuff fairy tale endings don't discuss like who pays the bills or what happens when people get sick, or that "ever after" doesn't happen. In short, what people actually experience in their lives. In Undertale, stepping out into the light with the city on the horizon feels like a reward.

In Deltarune, doing the same feels like a disappointment.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The town to me feels really strikingly like Mother 3 to a much more explicit extent than Undertale ever wore its inspiration

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Nina posted:

The town to me feels really strikingly like Mother 3 to a much more explicit extent than Undertale ever wore its inspiration
Oh yeah, definitely. Especially because it seems that it's going to be our central hub where things will change overtime.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Pulsarcat posted:

Monster Kid/Monster Teen and Temmie both like Kris too :colbert:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

McFrugal posted:

wait poo poo really

gently caress, I wasted all that time trying to get the mouse token from the starwalker :negative:

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 4, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It's clear that Deltarune is going for a deeper and more grounded tone, even if the change isn't too dramatic. It makes me wonder what kind of characters and themes the following chapters will tackle.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

Monster Kid/Monster Teen and Temmie both like Kris too :colbert:

The world is not yet ready for Temmie's deep backstory to be revealed.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

So I somehow managed to beat Jevil (is Jevil a spoiler at this point? I may as well play it safe) on my first try. That said, I beat him using FIGHT - I assume that beating him using ACT is harder if only because you have a lot less freedom in terms of using moves for healing. It's pretty good for a secret fight! It's got a lot of nice bells and whistles (like VOICE ACTING and SPINNING BACKGROUND THING). That said, people who say he's harder than Sans are complete maniacs who either A) are ridiculously good at fighting Sans Undertale or B) forget how tough that fight actually was.

Story related musings: I think the dynamic between Humans and Monsters in terms of power/strength is different in this universe. Undertale tells us that monsters are SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than humans, but Deltarune seems to condradict this: Susie is a lot stronger than Kris in terms of both damage and hp (and she uses PHYSICAL attacks, not magic like most of the monsters in Undertale). The "monsters are made of magic" thing still seems to be true, just based on the "Does it hurt to be made of blood?" line, but I'm interested in seeing what other differences there are in the human/monster dynamic. It's interesting to note that, other than Kris, the town is ENTIRELY populated by monsters and it's not clear why this is - it might be that humans and monsters just tend to live separately, or there might be a more specific reason for it. My personal theory is that humans as a whole are just rare in the Deltarune universe, though I concede I'm sorta basing that on absolutely nothing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maybe the Humans got locked underground instead of the monsters in this one :tinfoil:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Maybe the Humans got locked underground instead of the monsters in this one :tinfoil:

Could be

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My prediction for the future of Deltarune: I think we're going to get more party members as the story progresses, as is typical with most RPGs.

Probable future party members: Noelle, Lancer

Possible future party members: Papyrus (clearly the true hero of this game), Mettaton (but probably called something else and in a new body, he's struggling with depression and feeling like a nobody right now which fits in with the overall feeling of the game), Monster kid/teen

Probably not future party members, but would be funny if they were: Burgerpants, Onionsan

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zinkraptor posted:

So I somehow managed to beat Jevil (is Jevil a spoiler at this point? I may as well play it safe) on my first try. That said, I beat him using FIGHT - I assume that beating him using ACT is harder if only because you have a lot less freedom in terms of using moves for healing. It's pretty good for a secret fight! It's got a lot of nice bells and whistles (like VOICE ACTING and SPINNING BACKGROUND THING). That said, people who say he's harder than Sans are complete maniacs who either A) are ridiculously good at fighting Sans Undertale or B) forget how tough that fight actually was.

Story related musings: I think the dynamic between Humans and Monsters in terms of power/strength is different in this universe. Undertale tells us that monsters are SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than humans, but Deltarune seems to condradict this: Susie is a lot stronger than Kris in terms of both damage and hp (and she uses PHYSICAL attacks, not magic like most of the monsters in Undertale). The "monsters are made of magic" thing still seems to be true, just based on the "Does it hurt to be made of blood?" line, but I'm interested in seeing what other differences there are in the human/monster dynamic. It's interesting to note that, other than Kris, the town is ENTIRELY populated by monsters and it's not clear why this is - it might be that humans and monsters just tend to live separately, or there might be a more specific reason for it. My personal theory is that humans as a whole are just rare in the Deltarune universe, though I concede I'm sorta basing that on absolutely nothing.

Jevil is imo harder because hes (only partly) not pattern-based like sans undertale, and you have the temptation to graze all the shots for more TP so you can actually do your ACTs, and sandbagging when your party dies is a massive drain on turns and resources so when you get into a downturn in performance its hard as hell to get out of it, since you need every single one to use Hypnosis.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 4, 2018

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

LEAKED: SPOILERS: THE RELEASE SCHEDULE FOR TOBYFOX'S FUTURE GAMES

2015: UNDERTALE
2018: DELTARUNE
2021: UNRELATED
2024: LEARN DUET
2027: RENTAL DUE
2030: ULTRA NEED
2033: ELATED RUN
2036: DUAL ENTER
2039: TUNDRA EEL
2042: ALE TURNED
2045: ALERT NUDE
2048: TUNA ELDER
2051: DALE TURNER

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My prediction for the future of Deltarune: I think we're going to get more party members as the story progresses, as is typical with most RPGs.

Probable future party members: Noelle, Lancer

Possible future party members: Papyrus (clearly the true hero of this game), Mettaton (but probably called something else and in a new body, he's struggling with depression and feeling like a nobody right now which fits in with the overall feeling of the game), Monster kid/teen

Probably not future party members, but would be funny if they were: Burgerpants, Onionsan

Wow no love for Nerdly or Jockington?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gosts posted:

LEAKED: SPOILERS: THE RELEASE SCHEDULE FOR TOBYFOX'S FUTURE GAMES

2015: UNDERTALE
2018: DELTARUNE
2021: UNRELATED
2024: LEARN DUET
2027: RENTAL DUE
2030: ULTRA NEED
2033: ELATED RUN
2036: DUAL ENTER
2039: TUNDRA EEL
2042: ALE TURNED
2045: ALERT NUDE
2048: TUNA ELDER
2051: DALE TURNER

2069: NUT DEALER

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jevil is imo harder because hes (only partly) not pattern-based like sans undertale, and you have the temptation to graze all the shots for more TP so you can actually do your ACTs, and sandbagging when your party dies is a massive drain on turns and resources so when you get into a downturn in performance its hard as hell to get out of it, since you need every single one to use Hypnosis.

That’s a good point - I didn’t really have to worry about most of that. I may have had it easier than I thought by using FIGHT instead of ACT. I’ll have to give it another shot sometime, using the pacifist method instead.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man this is a bunch of pages back but that Sans theory that was posted is some good poo poo. The only thing that makes it kind of iffy I think is Papyrus who wouldn't be a Darkener I don't think.

But "they just showed up one day" :pcgaming:

I dunno if Toby intends for Sans to be as interesting as he is but he's the most intriguing character to me in both games. More so than Flowey, more so than Gaster, and whoever else has an aura of mystery about them.

I don't think he ever will because it would kind of ruin the mystery around him, but I'd love for Toby to go in depth into his life. I'd like to see that story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zinkraptor posted:

That’s a good point - I didn’t really have to worry about most of that. I may have had it easier than I thought by using FIGHT instead of ACT. I’ll have to give it another shot sometime, using the pacifist method instead.

Yeah the one video I saw of FIGHTing the fight beat him fast enough that he didn't even use his CHAOS BOMB.

I hate CHAOS BOMB.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

McFrugal posted:

That is mean.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

It's funny that in Undertale, your reward for the pacifist ending is essentially this small-town Americana of domestic bliss that you think you're starting out with in Deltarune, but when you win and emerge back into the light...this world kind of sucks. It's not a hell hole or any such thing, but it's the stuff fairy tale endings don't discuss like who pays the bills or what happens when people get sick, or that "ever after" doesn't happen. In short, what people actually experience in their lives. In Undertale, stepping out into the light with the city on the horizon feels like a reward.

In Deltarune, doing the same feels like a disappointment.

Vookatos posted:

I think the first quote here is kind of why people are bringing up Twin Peaks - David Lynch loves that theme of "seemingly idyllic small town bliss that's actually super hosed up under the surface" and while Undertale/Deltarune never get as dark as something like Blue Velvet, it's still a similar sort of deconstruction. It's just that in Deltarune it's less of a "people are actually creepy sex weirdos" and more just "people aren't really very happy".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ijyt posted:

That is mean.

scarodactyl is a pixelsmith who forges only lies

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As impressive as it was, it's sort of a dick move to start faking stuff THIS early on

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
I think it makes perfect sense (if it maps to undertale at all, which it doesn't have to) that Kris doesn't blow monsters away like tissue paper and can be threatened by Susie. All it takes is that he doesn't have a sincere desire to kill them. Susie is just some kid in his town, and Ralsei tells him you don't have to fight people all the time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Man this is a bunch of pages back but that Sans theory that was posted is some good poo poo. The only thing that makes it kind of iffy I think is Papyrus who wouldn't be a Darkener I don't think.

But "they just showed up one day" :pcgaming:

I dunno if Toby intends for Sans to be as interesting as he is but he's the most intriguing character to me in both games. More so than Flowey, more so than Gaster, and whoever else has an aura of mystery about them.

I don't think he ever will because it would kind of ruin the mystery around him, but I'd love for Toby to go in depth into his life. I'd like to see that story.
He's just a funny skeleton man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh, here's an *interesting* question for the theorists out here.

If he's new to town, how the hell does Sans know who 'My mom', and *especially* 'My teacher' is referring to?