Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

disjoe posted:

We had a borrower fail KYC recently. I’ve never seen that before. Obviously the transaction immediately came to a halt but I don’t know what happened next.
I can't recall any borrowers failing KYC other than PEPs but I've seen a ton of depositors fail KYC. I've had to deal with various cartels, money launderers and sanctioned persons over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

disjoe posted:

I’m drowning in bank internal compliance checklists (Yuns probably did those a decade ago or whatever) and I’m like two weeks behind on my time. Not like I post here very often anyway.

I was going to claim week one of a two week murder trial as the most sucktastic reason not to post, but you win.

Nicely done, Mr. Nice!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Always be defending the people. Unless it's from me coming to take your land. Then submit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Cash bail is loving stupid and so are jails!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Agreed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

disjoe posted:

IT ONLY GETS WORSE THE LONGER YOU PUT IT OFF HEED MY WORDS NEW ASSOCIATES

I found it took me about 10 minutes per day of time regardless of whether or not I did it all at once or not (so 10 minutes per day throughout the month or 3-4 hours of suck at the first of the month).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ulmont posted:

I found it took me about 10 minutes per day of time regardless of whether or not I did it all at once or not (so 10 minutes per day throughout the month or 3-4 hours of suck at the first of the month).

So which did you choose?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

ulmont posted:

Make sure you add that into the billable hours, and it becomes recursive inifite billable time.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Won my hearing!

Congrats! I'm glad this was in the back of my mind because today while I was doing the new arrest arraignments, my boss tosses a file on the counsel's table and says "I don't want to wait around, cover this for me" and peaces out the courtroom. I open it and its an early termination hearing for a felon in possession gun charge. (It went fine, the guy was cool).

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah gently caress jails

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carillon posted:

So which did you choose?

I think you know.

SlyFrog posted:

Make sure you add that into the billable hours, and it becomes recursive inifite billable time.

There was a code for entering in time, but it was of course non-billable.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Is there any academic value to the federalist society or are they just early advertising by the heritage foundation? I'll listen to the answer off air!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is there any academic value to the federalist society

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

They had pizza at their meetings, so I would get a couple slices and leave.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
They had more validity before they let originalism be the only acceptable conservative jurisprudence.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

thehoodie posted:

Yeah gently caress jails

Jails should be in prison!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I saw a reddit post where a first year associate has billed 2000 hours already since January. Why do y'all put up with those hours?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I saw a reddit post where a first year associate has billed 2000 hours already since January. Why do y'all put up with those hours?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is there any academic value to the federalist society or are they just early advertising by the heritage foundation? I'll listen to the answer off air!

As much as I like clowning on FedSoc, to be fair there is hardly an academic value to any law school group.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What a loving slacker. Prob not gonna make it through reviews tbh.

Should be rounding 2200 at the end of October on your way to 2500-2600 for the year

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You all live a miserable existence.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I haven't billed 2000 hours in like 10 years

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I’m already over 2500.

Got five kids to feed.

E: answer is $$$ plus I really like the work

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 5, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

I’m already over 2500.

Got five kids to feed.

did you have a single weekend day off what the gently caress

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

gvibes posted:

I’m already over 2500.

Got five kids to feed.

E: answer is $$$ plus I really like the work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dhjmSp30jc

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

gvibes posted:

like the work

Go to law school!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The really big associate billers are basically cash cows for the partnership. Take 2800 hrs x $800/hr minus whatever fraction they write off (not as much as you'd suspect) and it becomes pretty apparent why they're willing to pay them so "generously" at $330,000 or whatever.

Plus associates barely use resources these days. They just do everything themselves and bill for it while the legal assistant is busy booking the partner's sixth vacation.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

The really big associate billers are basically cash cows for the partnership.

This is true.

quote:

Take 2800 hrs x $800/hr minus whatever fraction they write off (not as much as you'd suspect) and it becomes pretty apparent why they're willing to pay them so "generously" at $330,000 or whatever.
Lol if you think our realization on associate time is anywhere close to 100%. Time and billing get written off all the time. There's the time lawyers bill then we have to review the bill and write off time then it goes to the client who asks for additional discounts on top of their negotiated rates or sends the bill to their internal review teams to dispute items or takes their sweet time paying it. There's loss at every step of the process until payment shows up in the firm account.

quote:

Plus associates barely use resources these days. They just do everything themselves and bill for it while the legal assistant is busy booking the partner's sixth vacation.
Partners work similarly long hours. Even on my few vacations I'm on calls most of the time. The busiest people in a large law firm are the most senior associates and most junior partners.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

drat y'all. Im not poor but I don't even work 1500 hours a year. I eat with my kid twice a day, get good sleep, and don't check my email on weekends.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I bill 180-200 pretty regularly at a fairly small firm and it doesn’t even seem like that much. Like I would be billing 220 a month if I wanted to feel like I wasn’t always behind the work I need to do

I’d rather just be behind tho so. I’d also rather be being 200 a month than working 80 hours a week at $11/hr or whatever the other 80% of my generation does

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm jealous that you get to eat with your kid twice a day. On weekdays I pretty much just get to say good night when I get home. (Even then, I have late meetings that cause me to miss that too). Spending time with my kids is the best part of my day and definitely the best part of my weekends.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Yuns posted:

I'm jealous that you get to eat with your kid twice a day. On weekdays I pretty much just get to say good night when I get home. (Even then, I have late meetings that cause me to miss that too). Spending time with my kids is the best part of my day and definitely the best part of my weekends.

Aren’t you the guy that works out twice a day? Maybe do that less?

Or build a home gym at least poo poo

(Sorry in advance if I got the wrong guy)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

EwokEntourage posted:

Aren’t you the guy that works out twice a day? Maybe do that less?

Or build a home gym at least poo poo

(Sorry in advance if I got the wrong guy)
I am but my workouts are when people sleep. Wouldn't influence my time with the kids at all. I'm getting up tomorrow at 3 am to hit the weights from 4-6 am then on the train before anyone is awake for BJJ and morning meetings. When I work out at night its 10 to midnight again when the family is asleep.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

Lol if you think our realization on associate time is anywhere close to 100%. Time and billing get written off all the time. There's the time lawyers bill then we have to review the bill and write off time then it goes to the client who asks for additional discounts on top of their negotiated rates or sends the bill to their internal review teams to dispute items or takes their sweet time paying it. There's loss at every step of the process until payment shows up in the firm account.
Partners work similarly long hours. Even on my few vacations I'm on calls most of the time. The busiest people in a large law firm are the most senior associates and most junior partners.

Some partners work every second of every day. Others allegedly work a lot but are also essentially never in the office and if they are then it's from 11am-5pm. This is just at my firm though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Geez, you are all a pit of sadness.
I make enough money and more importantly have time to use it. Ask me about month long vacations with no cell phone or email.
I'm pretty sure that per hour I do better than any associate and many partners.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

if I could do my life over I'd definitely take a job where I make 60-80k for reasonable hours instead of this horrorshow

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

actually that's not true, if I could do my life over I'd hang myself in my crib as soon as I could figure out how to make my dumb baby hands tie a noose

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

Some partners work every second of every day. Others allegedly work a lot but are also essentially never in the office and if they are then it's from 11am-5pm. This is just at my firm though.
Sorry I shouldn't have generalized. I know it's different at different firms.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

if I could do my life over I'd definitely take a job where I make 60-80k for reasonable hours instead of this horrorshow

Sac County Counsel tops out over $200k and our COL isn't that much worse than say, Minneapolis.
Though Sac County Cousel might have to represent Scott Jones, so I'll stick to my state job with tops a bit less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

I bill 180-200 pretty regularly at a fairly small firm and it doesn’t even seem like that much.

Doesn’t seem like that much til you switch to a job with a sane work schedule. Then you realize it absolutely was.