Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The mist and sunrise are amazing, drat.

Today was 3-gun. Unfortunately I woke up at 2:40 with bad gut cramps and spent the next few hours going back and forth to the toilet. Still drove out to the range and got my stage set up, but the cramps kept coming and going and I didn't feel like shooting in such a state. Weather was perfect too, was a real downer to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Went bikepacking with two friends yesterday. We had some hilarious misadventures involving a bad route selection for our first part on dirt and having to modify our ride a bit to make it to camp with some daylight left, but this was today’s sunrise over the Potomac in 34 degree weather.

Couple of random shots from the trails:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pre-empting V-day bennies:

You can get a "free" budget-quality AR barrel from Bear Creek Arsenal by buying a sticker from them and paying for shipping. Add the sticker to your cart, make an account and jump through a couple hoops to prove you're a vet, then punch in the discount code "veteransbarrel2018"; you'll then get a prompt to pick one of three options for a freebie barrel. These are nothing high-speed (and probably kinda crappy, tbh), but for :10bux: gently caress it, eh?

PDF instructions: https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/pub/media/pdf/vet_day_barrel_givaway_instructions.pdf

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got mine ordered, thanks. Now I just need to grift the rest of an ar-15 and I'm set!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You should be fine, given that the Black Friday sales are coming up here in a couple weeks.

In other news, apparently eForm 1s are back, and turnaround time has been reported as short as ten days. Now you have to upload photos of all responsible persons along with the eform and mail in the fingerprints, but still. Ten days.

I'd want to get another shorty just on principle due to that fast turnaround, but since I blew my wad hard before 41F hit, there's nothing I can think of that wouldn't be grossly redundant with what I already own.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

So I received that freebie barrel from BCA today; it's a plain old 16", carbine gas, 5.56 with 1/8 twist, and an M4 profile. Honestly? It doesn't appear to be half-bad for the cost of a sticker and shipping, but hey, I am not a gunsmith!

The chamber, rifling, and park job all look pretty decent. It's not chrome-lined. There is a conspicuous lack of an MP stamp or any markings beyond caliber and twist (uhhhh). Beyond those, the biggest cost-cutting measure appears to be that its profile was turned pretty quickly and without much finish machining; there are fairly-obvious lathe marks along the length of the barrel and on the extension's lugs. I do not have a good set of calipers (or a spare gas block) to check the gas block journal diameter, and I definitely don't have a way of measuring the gas port itself.

:10bux: though! Between this and a handful of spare parts, I guess I'll slowly start putting together a spare AR. :shrug:

e: :siren: THEY SENT ME TWO STICKERS :siren:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 20, 2018

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
McNally,

I really enjoy your Civil War Rifle write-ups in TFR. Care to share the love with us here too?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You couldn't pay me to use a 16" carbine gas barrel

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So you'd use it for free?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

McNally,

I really enjoy your Civil War Rifle write-ups in TFR. Care to share the love with us here too?

As it happens, I've been working on putting them together into a blog!

http://musketmissive.wordpress.com

I'm probably going to overhaul the whole thing and take some time to rephotograph everything (especially the stuff that never got the "new lights/white sheet" treatment) and revise the writing. I've learned a lot since my earlier entries.

Would it be tacky of me to throw a Paypal donate button onto it?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

You should be fine, given that the Black Friday sales are coming up here in a couple weeks.

In other news, apparently eForm 1s are back, and turnaround time has been reported as short as ten days. Now you have to upload photos of all responsible persons along with the eform and mail in the fingerprints, but still. Ten days.

I'd want to get another shorty just on principle due to that fast turnaround, but since I blew my wad hard before 41F hit, there's nothing I can think of that wouldn't be grossly redundant with what I already own.

What about transfers for suppressors and the like?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If you're buying one on a form 4, it's still the 180+ days or whatever. If you're building your own suppressor using that eform 1, it's that short waiting time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Those are on Form 4, and the ATF has said they’re working on opening them up to eforms but they’re not available yet so they’re still on the 6-8 month backlog

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I don't have any huge desire to own an SBR, but OTOH filing a Form 1 on one of these: https://www.brownells.com/firearms/handguns/semi-auto/usw-pistol-9mm-17-1-4-5-led-light-prod113169.aspx would own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pGoc8s1_Y

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

You couldn't pay me to use a 16" carbine gas barrel

Check out the gun snob. Never may an inferior carbine touch his shoulder.

Does the slightly increased recoil bruise your perfect pale nobleman's skin?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Jokers Gamble posted:

Check out the gun snob. Never may an inferior carbine touch his shoulder.

Does the slightly increased recoil bruise your perfect pale nobleman's skin?

If you wanna use objectively bad parts that's your choice I guess. Not sure how not respecting yourself makes you a tough manly man though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Free is free :shrug:

I ordered a bunch of little bits to go into building out my free barrel, thanks black Friday deals

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Internet Wizard posted:

If you wanna use objectively bad parts that's your choice I guess. Not sure how not respecting yourself makes you a tough manly man though.

What if when you built your AR that carbine gas on a 16" barrel was the most common option?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

14.5” M4A1 barrel with a welded on flash hider. :toot:

I only wish I’d have bought it with a FF rail installed because switching to one will be a huge pain.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Flikken posted:

What if when you built your AR that carbine gas on a 16" barrel was the most common option?

Then you’re just old instead of using a free no-name carbine-gas barrel in 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna use all aero parts to build out my garbage barrel now

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
I just think it's hilarious that people on the internet are poopooing about optimum gas tube length on a rifle that likely shoots twice a month at most. Lots of hardcore survivalists that plan on firing the rifle till it breaks on the fury road.

Using no name parts is always a gamble but do your thing man. Just be careful, as always, when you test it out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Back from a Thanksgiving trip over to Utah again. Overall there were more people than I would have liked. Most of these pics were taken with my camera's hi res mode, off of a tripod. Everything except Edmaier's secret, because it was far too windy there that day.

Zion, observation point. This is not an optimal angle or lighting, I realize. Given the crowd at the top, this was the best I could manage.

The subway at Zion. Had to wait over an hour for the most obnoxious gaggle of Asian tourists I've ever encountered to quit screwing around and clear out.

Grand Canyon north rim, looking out from the bright angel point trail. The road to Cape Royal was closed due to snow.

Lovely strange rocks at Edmaier's secret.

Horseshoe bend before sunrise. A fast strike in and out to avoid the crowds.

Paria rim rocks.

White Pocket.

At this point, a thin but constant cloud layer came in. Gave everything a nice, even, soft light that I kind of liked.

Goosenecks state park, also before sunrise. I feel like for sunken in terrain features like this and horseshoe bend, the before sunrise light is nice. No bright sunbeam making harsh shadows.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
That is some goddamn majestic country.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How weird do other hikers get about you carrying an AK everywhere?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If I'm doing it right, they don't notice. It stays in my pack, stock folded and thick green waterproof bag over what's sticking out. (Not much, 3" or so, and the bag is thick and formless enough that it doesn't conform to the contours of the muzzle - it's one of the bags that comes with an ILBE set.) The few times people have said anything about what's sticking out of my pack, they think it's a tripod or fishing equipment.

I have had people spot it and ask me about it once in a blue moon, generally when I'm placing or retrieving it. Generally they're pretty cool about it. I put on my human face and explain the whole photo gimmick thing and they have a laugh about it. Someone thought it was weird only once, an old guy in RMNP. He just said "That's pretty weird" when I explained it to him.

But yeah, part of the whole "thing" is for me to not get spotted in the photo process. I think I do ok with that in general.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You've got enough of a portfolio now you might want to look into publishing a collection of the pictures or something. It'd make a cool coffee table book.

And then all of your future road trips are business expenses, which if The Accountant taught me anything means you can write off your car on your taxes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slim Pickens posted:

How weird do other hikers get about you carrying an AK everywhere?

It's Utah. Probably 2/3 of the other people he sees have at least one gun on them.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Learn something new every day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V7ZEoiksEY

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:3:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That’s about the only way I could hunt anything. I like the skill, bushcraft and marksmanship involved in it, but don’t actually want to hurt or kill an animal. Nerf hunting sounds like a great way around that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Carry a camera instead of a rifle

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You could always take up birdwatching. :shrug:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Birders are the model train hobbyists of the outdoors

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s about the only way I could hunt anything. I like the skill, bushcraft and marksmanship involved in it, but don’t actually want to hurt or kill an animal. Nerf hunting sounds like a great way around that.

Getting what you kill out of the bush is a huge pain and requires a mule ATV etc. Hiking in and taking photos is far more low key and you can do it outside of hunting season to avoid dealing with hunters.

I legit want to try and stalk elk and try and take photos of them

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I legit want to try and stalk elk and try and take photos of them

The National Elk Refuge near Grand Tetons NP is a great place to catch them, they migrate through in the spring

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I just discovered this thread, and have some underwater pics to share. I run a photo and video log for all my underwater adventures, here’s a sample pulled from a trip last year. We spent a week onboard the Morning Star, one of the liveaboard sailboats operated by Blackbeard liveaboards out of Nassau, in the Bahamas.

I’ve got plenty more from NC waters, Catalina Island, CA, and some of the caverns in north-central Florida that I can post up later, if anyone is interested.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I just discovered this thread, and have some underwater pics to share.

Those are really neat! I'd love to see more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

These are all from the Wilmington, NC area, going to 25 miles offshore at the wreck of the John D. Gill.

Recently(ish) discovered coral, found on the wreck of the Alexander Ramsey, 3 miles off of Wrightsville Beach, NC: “Blue Ivy Coral”, with bonus nudibranch.

This is a decorator urchin near the wreck of the R. R. Stone, 12 miles offshore. This tug formerly served in the port of Wilmington, before being sank as an artificial reef in the 1980’s. They have little suckers that they use to grab random shells, which they then push up to their apex like a hat.

This sand tiger shark was on the wreck of the Hyde, a former USACoE dredge that took part in Gen. Macarthur’s liberation of the Philippines, as well as finding a few magnetic mines in the gulf of Tonkin in the Vietnam war; quick thinking by the captain kept the ship from being a total loss, and I think the worst injury was someone getting a broken arm by getting thrown into a bulkhead. She lies 18 miles offshore from Carolina Beach.

A 2-spot cardinal fish, found on the wreck of the John D. Gill:

The John D. Gill is the only one of these that was sank by enemy fire (a nazi u-boat in WWII), all the rest were laid down as artificial reefs. The John D. Gill is also where the Merchant Marines gave out their first DSC, to the ship’s quartermaster (Edwin F. Cheney) for swimming through a burning oil slick while dragging a life raft, pausing only to throw survivors into the life raft as he came across them.