Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has there ever been a number one song on the Billboard chart (or similar) that wasn't also a single?

AlbieQuirky posted:

This would be wrong according to any US style manual I have ever used.

I agree with The Poster Above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Badger of Basra posted:

Has there ever been a number one song on the Billboard chart (or similar) that wasn't also a single?

"Gangnam Style" was released as a single in South Korea, but it became #1 on Billboard because of US YouTube views.

Before that, the Billboard rules were largely weighted toward sales of the single (as explained in the article).

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Here's an immigration related question I just want to clarify (couldn't find appropriate thread so apologies if there is one)
I'm a Canadian born to an American/Canadian father. When I was a baby I lived in the states for a couple years where I obtained my Resident Alien card and my SSN. Does this make me a permanent resident of the states even now in 2018?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

computer angel posted:

Here's an immigration related question I just want to clarify (couldn't find appropriate thread so apologies if there is one)
I'm a Canadian born to an American/Canadian father. When I was a baby I lived in the states for a couple years where I obtained my Resident Alien card and my SSN. Does this make me a permanent resident of the states even now in 2018?

If your dad had American citizenship when you were born (or your mom, or both of them) and lived at least a few years in the us before you were born but after they were 14, you are an American citizen from birth, even if they never bothered to get you properly set up that way. So that makes you entitled to be a full citizen rather than just a permanent resident.

If you didn't meet the requirements to be a citizen initially, the couple of decades you haven't lived there is likely to have made you no longer a permanent resident. So you'll basically need to head up to your nearest American consulate to verify your status and determine any documents you'd need to regain permanent residency.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

fishmech posted:

If your dad had American citizenship when you were born (or your mom, or both of them) and lived at least a few years in the us before you were born but after they were 14, you are an American citizen from birth, even if they never bothered to get you properly set up that way. So that makes you entitled to be a full citizen rather than just a permanent resident.

Yes to this. I guess I'll visit the consulate. How did you know or where did you find this info?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

computer angel posted:

fishmech posted:

If you didn't meet the requirements to be a citizen initially, the couple of decades you haven't lived there is likely to have made you no longer a permanent resident. So you'll basically need to head up to your nearest American consulate to verify your status and determine any documents you'd need to regain permanent residency.

Here's the relevant policy:

quote:

A child born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions acquires citizenship at birth if at the time of birth:

•One parent is a foreign national and the other parent is a U.S. citizen; and
•The U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for at least 5 years, including at least 2 years after 14 years of age.

Time abroad counts as physical presence in the United States if the time abroad was:

•As a member of the U.S. armed forces in honorable status;
•Under the employment of the U.S. government or other qualifying organizations; or
•As a dependent unmarried son or daughter of such persons.

Note that there are some additional requirements (click the link) if your parents weren't married at the time you were born.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

computer angel posted:

Yes to this. I guess I'll visit the consulate. How did you know or where did you find this info?

It came up quite a bit in the 2008 election! The details of the various relevant laws are on the State Department website: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...orn-Abroad.html

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

fishmech posted:

It came up quite a bit in the 2008 election! The details of the various relevant laws are on the State Department website: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...orn-Abroad.html

Thanks all.
I intend to investigate more legitimately, for now I'm just curious.
My parents were married when I was born, but my dad alleges he's only worked in the US sporadically, cumulatively probably 6 years worth, and has lived in the US (Vermont and Florida) for about 7 years after the age of 14 but before I was born. He currently receives an American pension too. He was born in Vermont on the border of Quebec. He owned property in Vermont for over a decade (that he didn't live in permanently, but qualified for the homestead exemption).

computer angel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 4, 2018

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Didn't know I was an American citizen until today. Guess I'll come and take your jerbs.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Quick Plumbing Question

The water heater that came with my house (80 Gallon Whirlpool Electric Water Heater) sprung a leak in the bottom.

Instead of waiting and living without hot water in my house for over a week for my home warranty to deal with it, I went out and bought a Rheem dual 4500 watt elements 50 gallon water heater and hooked it up myself.

I purchase a preformed PVC relief valve pipe and installed it and powered everything up (I filled the tank and bled the lines before I powered it on). The tank is set to 120F on both elements so I hopefully won't get legionnaires disease. The water feels much hotter coming from this tank than it did from the old one and the old one appears to have been set at 120F too but who knows how that thing was actually functioning.

TL;DR the TPV valve itself is hot to the touch and there is an INCREDIBLY slow drip coming from where the relief valve pipe is connected to the pressure relief valve itself.

1.) I am already trying to get a hold of a professional plumber to come take a look.
2.) I do not have a hot water expansion tank, but neither did the previous unit.
3.) I have no idea if my system is open or closed. I don't see any sort of pressure control in my house, just a big rear end red handle to shut off the main.
4.) I do not have a pressure gauge to test. I could to buy one real fast and see what my pressure actually is to make sure it isn't over 80 psi.

My question is, despite this slow drip, is it safe to leave the water heater on and functioning so my family and I have hot water to use until I can get a plumber into my home to inspect or is my house going to blow up and send a hot water heater into orbit? I have tested the valve several times already and confirm it does spray out hot water so in the event of TOO MUCH PRESSURE it should relieve it into the bucket I have set near the end of the pipe.

theSpokeyDokey fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 4, 2018

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

computer angel posted:

Didn't know I was an American citizen until today. Guess I'll come and take your jerbs.

You can look forward to filing your US taxes for life, as well as all reporting all of your bank accounts no matter where you live or work. It's a great benefit of citizenship :911:

greazeball fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 4, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

greazeball posted:

You can look forward to filing your US taxes for life, as well as all reporting all of your bank accounts no matter where you live or work. It's a great benefit of citizenship :911:

I don't report my us taxes cuz i don't plan on ever living in thr states ever again also i don't earn enough to have to pay anything anyway

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
DIY aficionados, what would you call a groove cut into a wooden table whose purpose is to let you slide a tool (like an angle grinder) on it to accommodate workpieces of different sizes? Adjustment groove? Adjusting recess? I don't care if it's a made-up ad hoc term, I just want something that sounds understandable in English.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where can you stream The Late Show with Steven Colbert live in the US?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where can you stream The Late Show with Steven Colbert live in the US?

CBS All Access has the latest 15 episodes if you're subscribed, 5 if you're not.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

El Jeffe posted:

CBS All Access has the latest 15 episodes if you're subscribed, 5 if you're not.

Does it show live? He’s doing a live election night show tomorrow that I’m interested in watching.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Tune into CBS and CBS All Access to see Stephen do a live episode of The Late Show on election night, Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 11:35/10:35c (live ET, delayed PT). [Also, vote

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
I assume most shows/networks will be streaming live on their own sites or on Youtube.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I don't report my us taxes cuz i don't plan on ever living in thr states ever again also i don't earn enough to have to pay anything anyway

Different bills have been proposed in Congress (without reaching the floor so far) that would require 5-10 years of tax returns with passport renewals.

Your passport can already be revoked if you have an unpaid tax bill: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/revocation-or-denial-of-passport-in-case-of-certain-unpaid-taxes

greazeball fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 6, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

greazeball posted:

Different bills have been proposed in Congress (without reaching the floor so far) that would require 5-10 years of tax returns with passport renewals.

Your passport can already be revoked if you have an unpaid tax bill: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/revocation-or-denial-of-passport-in-case-of-certain-unpaid-taxes

As I said I don't actually owe anything so it's unlikely theyll come after me, also my life would not be majorly inconvenienced if my us passport was suddenly revoked

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

having a passport is pretty cool and good imho

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Spermando posted:

DIY aficionados, what would you call a groove cut into a wooden table whose purpose is to let you slide a tool (like an angle grinder) on it to accommodate workpieces of different sizes? Adjustment groove? Adjusting recess? I don't care if it's a made-up ad hoc term, I just want something that sounds understandable in English.

Bench dogs are a good place to start reading.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_dog

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

greazeball posted:

having a passport is pretty cool and good imho

it's okay, I have more than one

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Edit: Wrong thread

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I feel like this is a super stupid question but here goes! Is it actually detrimental to batteries to leave them plugged in once they're fully charged? Not thinking any specific batteries, but just wondering. I'm charging a few small lithium batteries for an action camera, and sometimes I leave my bike headlamp plugged in for many hours after it's fully charged, but I didn't really think about it till now. Is that just like an urban legend, or does it actually affect battery performance/life?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Johnny Truant posted:

I feel like this is a super stupid question but here goes! Is it actually detrimental to batteries to leave them plugged in once they're fully charged? Not thinking any specific batteries, but just wondering. I'm charging a few small lithium batteries for an action camera, and sometimes I leave my bike headlamp plugged in for many hours after it's fully charged, but I didn't really think about it till now. Is that just like an urban legend, or does it actually affect battery performance/life?

True for NiCad, Lithium Ion should be good to go without staying charged.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Johnny Truant posted:

Any (reasonable?) lithium charger will have a circuit to track the charge and stop powering the battery once it's full

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

To expand on these answers, lithium ion batteries enjoy a consistent discharge/recharge cycle. Leaving them plugged in for a few hours or overnight after they've finished charging isn't dangerous or harmful, but if you leave them plugged in for weeks or months on end, they will lose capacity more quickly. This is obviously more of a concern for something like a laptop that gets used as a desktop replacement than it is for a bike light or a phone.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the tips y'all! Are rechargeable batteries, like AA Duracells or something, lithium ion batteries? I don't think I've ever thought this much about batteries before :thunk:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Johnny Truant posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips y'all! Are rechargeable batteries, like AA Duracells or something, lithium ion batteries? I don't think I've ever thought this much about batteries before :thunk:

It will say on the side.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Johnny Truant posted:

It varies from brand to brand and style to style. Energizer might have rechargeable in both Li-ion and Ni-Cad varieties. I would hope that you can safely charge both in the same (modern) charging device, but I can't vouch either way.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
About five years ago we got a bunch of R-30 fiberglass insulation on sale. We insulated the attic with half of it and intended on insulating the basement ceiling but never got around to it. Now we are selling the house and need to get rid of it. New house was recently updated with new insulation. We’ve listed it for sale online but haven’t had any interest. Any ideas on what to do with ten unopened packages of insulation?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Makeshift bouncy house at a children’s party

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
See if your local habitat for humanity wants it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Koivunen posted:

About five years ago we got a bunch of R-30 fiberglass insulation on sale. We insulated the attic with half of it and intended on insulating the basement ceiling but never got around to it. Now we are selling the house and need to get rid of it. New house was recently updated with new insulation. We’ve listed it for sale online but haven’t had any interest. Any ideas on what to do with ten unopened packages of insulation?

Buy some popsicle sticks and sell it as cotton candy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Lawnie posted:

See if your local habitat for humanity wants it.

This is the correct answer, because trying to give stuff like that away on Craigslist or Freecycle is a loving nightmare.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

UK goons, do any of your tax documents show the name of your employer? Over here at the end of each financial year employers have to provide a summary of tax withheld in that employee's name, is there any equivalent in the UK?

ETA: actually I wouldn't mind knowing this for most countries, I often have to help people prove their employment history at work and trying to find objective evidence can be a massive pain.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Canada T4 Slip

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/t4/t4-18b.pdf

Your employer is suppose to give you your T4 slip so you can calculate your taxes for the year.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Organza Quiz posted:

UK goons, do any of your tax documents show the name of your employer? Over here at the end of each financial year employers have to provide a summary of tax withheld in that employee's name, is there any equivalent in the UK?

ETA: actually I wouldn't mind knowing this for most countries, I often have to help people prove their employment history at work and trying to find objective evidence can be a massive pain.

Australia: it's called a PAYG Payment Summary - Individual Non-Business, if you're just a regular employee earning a wage. Shows the company paying you and their ABN (Australian Business Number), which is a government-issued designator for the company, and the employee's Tax File Number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Tik Tok the worst thing ever or am I just old and don’t get it. I’m constantly seeing ads for it and I hate it so much I can’t properly articulate it.